ADVERTISEMENT

Take-aways from Katie Gearlds Radio Show 1/17/2023

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
Just a few salient points from her radio show last night with Tim Newton. She is still obviously furious at the team for their lack of effort at Penn State.

• Initially appeared very down and discouraged. (IMHO)
  • Madison is getting back to her old ways
  • Rebounding is THE emphasis right now
  • Live ball TOs are killers. That is why we could win at MSU even with 30 TOs because they were mostly dead ball TOs.
  • Caitlyn Harper’s parents are so appreciative that Purdue gave her a chance to play in the B1G. Growing up in Wisconsin it had been a dream. She is so easy to coach. Unselfish, will do anything for the team. So hard on herself. The team looks up to her. She is a calming influence.
  • Interview with Ainhoa (ah-no-ah) Holzer. From Switzerland. Definitely has European accent. Played sophomore year at Christ the King HS in New York. Planned on staying here for the last two years of her HS career but had to go back home due to COVID. Major is Physics with a minor in astronomy. Knows French, Spanish, English and some German. Also was a jazz pianist. Hurt in her next to last high school game tearing her ACL. Shot her first 3PT 2 days ago. Hopes to be back to full strength this fall.
  • Nebraska is a team that relies on the 3PT shot. They shoot more 3PT shots than anyone else in the B1G. Sometimes they are on and sometimes not.
  • “We’ve done a good job playing hard in our games - WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE PENN STATE GAME.” (her emphasis)
  • Really want to have a great start against Nebraska to give our fans something to cheer for.

Last edited:
I really like Harper - seems steady, focused, engaged. Not the fastest or most athletic player, but Seems to play smart, and with good energy and attitude.
Don’t see her sulking or getting upset - just a lunch pail, get to work approach.
Glad she’s a Boiler this year
Just wish she was playing PF where I think she would be better. NU is abusing her on the blocks right now.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Any update on Petree? Why is she benched and becoming so unproductive? Going from a leading scorer to one who averaged just 10 mpg for the last 3, and almost have as many TOs (4) as PTS scored (6) in those games?

Any update on Petree? Why is she benched and becoming so unproductive? Going from a leading scorer to one who averaged just 10 mpg for the last 3, and almost have as many TOs (4) as PTS scored (6) in those games?
After the game at PSU KG was livid in the post game stating that players did not follow the game plan. Next game she demoted Petree and Hardin from the starting lineup to improve team defense, she additionally called out Hardin for her shot percentage, which is disconcerting because Hardin is shooting better now than last year and last year she kept a far superior Brooke Moore out of the starting lineup protecting Hardin all year and playing her the most minutes in BT play of any boiler. Petree turns the ball over at the same rate per game as Terry, the difference is Terry has 125 assists, Petree has 23. The offense has flowed better at times without Petree on the floor, but it lacks the one player that can just go one on one when the offense breaks down. If Petree could let the offense flow and only use that ability late in the shot clock, she would not be so far in the dog house, but she frequently jacks up shots 10 seconds into the possession without giving the team the chance to work the offense.

I really like Harper - seems steady, focused, engaged. Not the fastest or most athletic player, but Seems to play smart, and with good energy and attitude.
Don’t see her sulking or getting upset - just a lunch pail, get to work approach.
Glad she’s a Boiler this year
I agree, Harper is a good role player, I hope both her and Ellis return.

This is year 1 of what's going to take 5 years to get the talent needed to really be a competitive team again. They won't be invited to the Big Dance.. Just sit back and know Katie is working hard but it just takes time. They just don't have the talent yet.
My worry is she is not using the talent she has well either. We are definately more talented than PSU and UMinn... but we already lost to PSU and I am not optimistic about tomorrows game either.

My worry is she is not using the talent she has well either. We are definately more talented than PSU and UMinn... but we already lost to PSU and I am not optimistic about tomorrows game either.
My worry would be about players taking steps back, Layden and Woltman this year are two examples.

Reactions: MichaelRR
Sounds like RW had a decent game today from what I read in DubJ’s article. Good to hear!
Harper got into quick foul trouble and Woltman was the beneficiary. She pretty much shows out well everytime she gets significant playing time in a stretch to get comfortable. She is not going to be a 20 point scorer, we don't feed the post well enough for that and she has no ability to make her own shot or hit outside of 10-15 feet. But she will shoot a good percentage, get you 6-10 points, get a lot of rebounds and tip others to teammates and play the best interior defense of anyone on this team. But that is not enough apparently to earn the starting spot.... SMH

After the game at PSU KG was livid in the post game stating that players did not follow the game plan. Next game she demoted Petree and Hardin from the starting lineup to improve team defense, she additionally called out Hardin for her shot percentage, which is disconcerting because Hardin is shooting better now than last year and last year she kept a far superior Brooke Moore out of the starting lineup protecting Hardin all year and playing her the most minutes in BT play of any boiler. Petree turns the ball over at the same rate per game as Terry, the difference is Terry has 125 assists, Petree has 23. The offense has flowed better at times without Petree on the floor, but it lacks the one player that can just go one on one when the offense breaks down. If Petree could let the offense flow and only use that ability late in the shot clock, she would not be so far in the dog house, but she frequently jacks up shots 10 seconds into the possession without giving the team the chance to work the offense.

Thanks for the breakdown. But if there's anything we've seen in the Minny game, it's that Petree is a lot more productive as a starter than coming off the bench. There are players like that, and I have been scratching my head for the last 3 games why CKG didn't see that when it was so painfully obvious. If she did not following the game plan, the demotion should be a 1 game thing (I really don't think Petree kept deviating from game plans). I am just not a fan of CKG constantly tinkering her starting lineup. It just doesn't allow players to play with a defined role and allow the chemistry to form organically. I hope CKG takes a look at how CMP does it.

ADVERTISEMENT