ADVERTISEMENT

Has ship sailed on TJD?

Over the past 10 years or so, I've changed to see MSU as our most prominent rival. We go after the same players and we have bumped heads for many of the last few years in the BIG regular season title and BIG tournament. All our recruiting drama has centered around MSU: Biggie, JJJ, Tre, etc. If I work at it, I bet the list of players we have recruited and won/lost to MSU is substantial. Indiana just has not been the rival they used to be. I guess that playing them only once a year has added to that change. Do I like this change? No. I want IU and Purdue to duke it out every year for the BIG, but sadly, that is not the case anymore.

I agree with this. MSU is who I consider Purdue's rival to be. That may change if Archie can right the ship and continues to shop local, but Right now I would rather see Purdue play MSU twice a year guaranteed than IU. They are the ones we need to beat. Victory over them last year was so much sweeter than beating IU and it wasn't even close. The same will be said for this year.

Reactions: Frankie611
I think too many of you on here are thinking Archie is another Tom crean. And that's going to be so far from the truth. IU is Purdue's number one rival and they should play twice a year every year.

I will agree MSU is ours based on recruiting over the past years. As we are constantly recruiting the same player.

I worked at IU for 15 years (as a boiler fan). I asked several hundred people over the years if they would rather beat Purdue or Kentucky and you could only pick one. They almost 100% said Purdue. I still consider IU/PU the bigger rivalry. Even ESPN puts it down a few spots after the Duke/UNC rival and they don't have much respect for the B1G these days.

Quoting Forbes is a ridiculous exercise. Obviously you either never took a class in Economics or you were not paying attention if you did take one. Value is determined by what someone is willing to pay for it according to Economics. IU cannot sell its BB team. Therefore it cannot be accurately valued. This kind of article is simply musing about a concept but has no basis in reality.

You can make intelligent estimates of the cash flows associated with a program, but you cannot estimate worth as that becomes a multiple of the cash flows. In this case the multiple is zero. Zero times anything is zero.
Go read the article and complain to them. Lol

I worked at IU for 15 years (as a boiler fan). I asked several hundred people over the years if they would rather beat Purdue or Kentucky and you could only pick one. They almost 100% said Purdue. I still consider IU/PU the bigger rivalry. Even ESPN puts it down a few spots after the Duke/UNC rival and they don't have much respect for the B1G these days.

That does not surprise me. Just like what Haas told JMV in his first interview. Acordong to him, other current & former players, and the coaching staff... IU is biggest game on the calendar every year.

Archie hasn't coached one game at IU and the IU fans think he is Bobby the 2nd, lets see what happens. I guess its more wishful thinking than anything

Reactions: Roeder
Not sure people have any interest in the title of this thread.

But, I think Indiana is in great shape for Trayce Jackson-Davis and I think Michigan State and Kentucky are eligible destinations for his services. So, I guess I'd say "yes" if someone asked if the ship has sailed on TJD.

Carry on.

Reactions: Roeder
I think IU and Purdue will have more recruiting battles going forward. Since Miller took over at IU, there has been 4 recruiting battles that overlap. (RP, Andersen, TJD, and Brooks). I don't really count Jerome Hunter, or Langford, because Purdue didn't recruit them very hard. Miller will be more focused on in-state talent, while Crean was more focused on getting talent in general. Painter has and will focus on in-state talent as well.

Reactions: Mr.Hoop
I think IU and Purdue will have more recruiting battles going forward. Since Miller took over at IU, there has been 4 recruiting battles that overlap. (RP, Andersen, TJD, and Brooks). I don't really count Jerome Hunter, or Langford, because Purdue didn't recruit them very hard. Miller will be more focused on in-state talent, while Crean was more focused on getting talent in general. Painter has and will focus on in-state talent as well.

Yeah. I wouldn't count Hunter or Langford either. I think the in-state battles will continue as well. Over the next few recruiting cycles some early names would be TJD, Brooks Jr., Galloway, Thompson, maybe Saunders who is younger.

Pierce Thomas is very young but some early suggestions/ opinion are that he is the next big 5* recruit to come out of Indiana.

I think too many of you on here are thinking Archie is another Tom crean. And that's going to be so far from the truth. IU is Purdue's number one rival and they should play twice a year every year.
No one thinks Archie is Crean. There is only one Tom Crean. I, for one, will miss him.

No one thinks Archie is Crean. There is only one Tom Crean. I, for one, will miss him.
Not the biggest fan of Crean as a coach at IU and think he probably got a bum wrap with some players.

Listened to his Pardon My Take podcast and gained a whole different perspective on the guy. He even answered questions about his “fly by” handshake like deal.

Title game in 2002... what has PU won? Younger UK Fans maybe, but UK fans my age hate us. I know plenty of UK Fans and the hate has not stopped. I consider UK our rival not PU as do my IU friends.

IU Basketball = Nebraska Football. Two schools with die hard fan bases that have histories of National relevance that relentlessly churn through coaches looking to get back to the top. Both schools have great programs, but are also blind that they had 2 once in a lifetime Coaches in Knight and Osborne that took each program to the top. Archie might be the next guy to do that, but most Purdue fans really could care less at this point.

This is the 4th time we've heard this song from fan boys like you about a new IU coach being the savior by their recruiting efforts alone. Mike Davis (Josh Smith! DJ White! Bracey!). Kelvin Sampson (Eric Gordon, clap clap, clap clap clap). Crean (Zeller! Yogi! Hanner! Vonleh!). Now Miller is getting the same praise.

If your goal is to troll and get under skin, congrats. If your goal is to bring "facts" and sway Purdue fans opinions, well all you've done is back up the fact that most IU fans that post here come off as arrogant idiots trying to puff themselves up over how much better they think they are than Purdue.

How about you come back when Archie wins that National Title? Until then, I don't really care anymore.

I just read an article with an interview with Jackson- Davis from the Indy star and apparently Purdue is not out of the running. He put the Boilers in his top 5. Says dad liked the way Purdue developed big men.

I just read an article with an interview with Jackson- Davis from the Indy star and apparently Purdue is not out of the running. He put the Boilers in his top 5. Says dad liked the way Purdue developed big men.

Purdue was the early favorite. It helps to be known for developing bigs. With the development of Haarms and the commitments from Williams and Dowuana, IU offers playing time upfront since there is literally nothing in the way. That will be tough to overcome if he views himself as a one and done.

Purdue was the early favorite. It helps to be known for developing bigs. With the development of Haarms and the commitments from Williams and Dowuana, IU offers playing time upfront since there is literally nothing in the way. That will be tough to overcome if he views himself as a one and done.
Wait... I thought IU only had forwards on their roster....

Purdue was only mentioned in his top five in the Indy star because they're a local school and he feels he has to. He is going to IU I live in the Center Grove area and that is the word around here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT