ADVERTISEMENT

Has ship sailed on TJD?

So none of these assistant coaches remotely scare you? It's the same reason IU didn't hire Pitino after the Sampson issue. He had Issues at Hawaii and IU knew about it.

I heard all this too. No, I'm not worried. Seriously, why? Everyone is innocent until proven guilty. IU has released several stating an internal review and found nothing. I'm not worried at all. In fact, having a brand new staff makes me feel even better cause they have history to IU. If that makes sense.

Sounds like you should've asked for some of your donations back. The product on the court was way over valued or a very bad investment.

Reactions: Roeder
No sanctions? They negated the whole season. Their Final Four was taken away from them. Coach Cal and 3 assistant coaches with 2 being on the IU staff. Just saying it's east to point fingers when you could look in the mirror.

No, all were gone after sanction were delivered so no sanctions followed the coach. Some one was cheating, was it cal? assistant coach? Alumni? Booster? I don't know. All I know each landed at a new spot with no penalties assessed to each of them. Like it or not... That's the reality

Sounds like you should've asked for some of your donations back. The product on the court was way over valued or a very bad investment.
got to see us beat KU & UNC... that was enjoyable. IU fans have been in misery for 2-3 years despite the sunshine that you see pumped in the media and ultimately why Crean is gone. Dan Dakich said it best..."IU admins & glass were afraid of apathy setting in and fans stop caring. IU's fans is what keeps the momentum in the program alive." I did stop donating as I canceled my season tickets after the 2014 season. With Crean gone, I will have to donate money to get good seats. IU fans are relieved the clown show is over.

Reactions: mathboy
Are you smoking something? Flint became the next coach. He wasn't put on probation but the staff cost the school sanctions.

Are you smoking something? Flint became the next coach. He wasn't put on probation but the staff cost the school sanctions.
You just said what I did... I assumed you knew flint did not leave. Ed & Cal took off, but no one has sanctions or penalties tied specificly to them. I know the whole fur coat story. You are digging for imaginary gold. Lol. Let feds figure it out.

I
Is this JC?

Who is JC? I like your passion digging for the truth to Cal. Look, I'll admit I think Cal cheated in the past but no one has proven anything and now at UK, he has no need to cheat now. He has all the resources of a NBA franchise.

I agree with some of that. I'll be nice and not debate this further as the stats that I have will make others think I'm bragging when I am just presenting facts. I will say this, IU will be just fine. I'm not worried nor are my IU peeps. I think PU has a shot to be in 2-5 range. I have no idea how PU will be the following year as I need to see your freshman vs solid P5 teams. I watched the world games but could not take much from it. It was a glorified scrimmage.

Unrealistic expectations... Your funny. Go look at IU's hoops budget vs PUs. (You may not cause it's not close even when PU's has a season like last year) IU's recruiting budget in hoops was larger than PU's FB & BB combined. When you pay a coach roughly $4 million a year, you expect something in return. We were only valued in top 3 most valuable ball programs per Forbes this past year & ranked in top 1-7 every year for the past decade. Expectations come with big boy hoops. I get it, your a PU fan so I won't expect you to understand.

IU wins the most popular team at Walmart award. Every IU piece of equipment comes standard as reversible with Notre Dame football on the other side. The ol 2 for 1 special has really helped their value.

Purdue has a legit chance at repeating as Big Ten champ and a deep run in the tournament. IU seems NIT bound, no matter how much money you throw at it.

Sorry, that you aren't getting the reaction you wanted here. Also, you again defeated your own argument by admitting that because of the money they spend there are high expectations, you just didn't use the word unrealistic. You can keep changes coaches, it's worked out very well so far.

The IU fanbase is similar to the Kentucky fanbase. Think about how you view them and understand that's how most other fan bases think you. Trying to keep it simple for you. If you want more butt sniffers that feel the same way, you can always return to your echo chamber.

Reactions: Inspector100
Most IU fans believe he is a cheater. It has been on your board many times. I thought you might be a former basketball manager under RMK. Just like Arizona? Louisville? UNC? Louisville was the most profitable basketball team in 2016. So, don't give me the no need thing. Nice spin though!

Only one way to find out. The players looked awful at the hysteria. It wasn't an impressive event. Try coming to Mackey when the lights cut out and the light show begins. That is impressive and not to mention loud. IU may beat a team or two they shouldn't, but they should be awful this year. IU will likely be in the bottom half battling for a NIT bid.

I have friends that are IU fans and they are very worried about getting caught paying for players. They also acknowledged how unimpressive this year was at HH.

It will take two years to fix the mess. Landing two top 10 kids will help for sure. It will be interesting to see how they would all mesh. This is pivotal because IU fans are impatient and there will be a short leash. It will also be interesting to see what the FBI digs up in the future.
Your IU fans know IU is paying players???Hmm! Did they tell you who the players were? When did HH become a measuring stick to how well a team going to be in Jan?

You purdue fans act like you been to a sweet sixteen in the last five years. What was that team you lost too a few years ago with a 6-7 center against your two 7 ' ers

Most IU fans believe he is a cheater. It has been on your board many times. I thought you might be a former basketball manager under RMK. Just like Arizona? Louisville? UNC? Louisville was the most profitable basketball team in 2016. So, don't give me the no need thing. Nice spin though!

IU message board is not the IU fan base. Just like here, or any fan site you go to. Most IU fans I know laugh when we talk about stupid comments from a message board. What am I spinning? Or are just mad cause you think IU might cheat. Funny. Nice spin? What did I spin, I don't think Cal cheats now, and I'm not worried about ED and Bruiser's career back in the mid 90s.

IU wins the most popular team at Walmart award. Every IU piece of equipment comes standard as reversible with Notre Dame football on the other side. The ol 2 for 1 special has really helped their value.

Purdue has a legit chance at repeating as Big Ten champ and a deep run in the tournament. IU seems NIT bound, no matter how much money you throw at it.

Sorry, that you aren't getting the reaction you wanted here. Also, you again defeated your own argument by admitting that because of the money they spend there are high expectations, you just didn't use the word unrealistic. You can keep changes coaches, it's worked out very well so far.

The IU fanbase is similar to the Kentucky fanbase. Think about how you view them and understand that's how most other fan bases think you. Trying to keep it simple for you. If you want more butt sniffers that feel the same way, you can always return to your echo chamber.

Reaction I wanted? I'm on a PU board what do you expect. You expect me trash PU and you bow down to IU? Are you 16? All you can do is repeat the same lame message and I'm laughing at your posts. I know the UK fan quite well and yes, IU fans are similar. One thing IU and UK share in common, we laugh at PU fans. We are perfectly fine with being hated cause we view it as respect. We know you want what we have and you can deny it all you want. I tried to have civil conversation but after 3 replies of nonsense, I can't continue in the loop.

Deep Run in a tournament? Hilarious... Just be happy if you get to the round of 32.
1980..... That's all. Enjoy your season.

To be honest Kentucky fans don't think they are rivals to IU anymore. They believe its more of a UNC rival and feel they should be competing every year like UNC. I lost a bet to my Brother who was a former golfer at UNC when they played IU in the tournament and I got the points. He honestly said IU hasn't been relevant for 30 years.

Reactions: StickPurdue
To be honest Kentucky fans don't think they are rivals to IU anymore. They believe its more of a UNC rival and feel they should be competing every year like UNC. I lost a bet to my Brother who was a former golfer at UNC when they played IU in the tournament and I got the points. He honestly said IU hasn't been relevant for 30 years.

Title game in 2002... what has PU won? Younger UK Fans maybe, but UK fans my age hate us. I know plenty of UK Fans and the hate has not stopped. I consider UK our rival not PU as do my IU friends.

A little defensive? PU was never brought up in your rival discussion and now it pops up? You can't be that old to act like a little kid. As well Bama is in the discussion of National title every year. So, in a sense UNC is right there.

Reactions: StickPurdue
One thing IU and UK share in common, we laugh at PU fans. We are perfectly fine with being hated cause we view it as respect.
This, folks, is why they have the reputation of being delusional. UK fans come to this board to join us in making fun of IU fans. (Never mind the fact that we tell them to get lost.) But to think IU is hated, and even funnier, to think he views how fans respond to him as respect, is the ultimate in delusional ignorance. Taking them seriously has been difficult the past several years. Hating them? impossible.

A little defensive? PU was never brought up in your rival discussion and now it pops up? You can't be that old to act like a little kid. As well Bama is in the discussion of National title every year. So, in a sense UNC is right there.
I'm just busting your chops, as you are mine and I enjoy it. :) Bama struggled prior to Saban with only 1 title in 30 years. Just go read up on their history. Even Carolina had about 6-7 year struggle before Roy arrived. Both great programs.

Last edited:
I agree with some of that. I'll be nice and not debate this further as the stats that I have will make others think I'm bragging when I am just presenting facts. I will say this, IU will be just fine. I'm not worried nor are my IU peeps. I think PU has a shot to be in 2-5 range. I have no idea how PU will be the following year as I need to see your freshman vs solid P5 teams. I watched the world games but could not take much from it. It was a glorified scrimmage.

Unrealistic expectations... Your funny. Go look at IU's hoops budget vs PUs. (You may not cause it's not close even when PU's has a season like last year) IU's recruiting budget in hoops was larger than PU's FB & BB combined. When you pay a coach roughly $4 million a year, you expect something in return. We were only valued in top 3 most valuable ball programs per Forbes this past year & ranked in top 1-7 every year for the past decade. Expectations come with big boy hoops. I get it, your a PU fan so I won't expect you to understand.
Hoogolf, you made a point, a good point, in an earlier post. I just got back to the keyboard, so I didn't get a chance to respond to that post directly. You mentioned Archie installing a new system. Many folks might skip right by that point, but I think it is worth discussing. Usually coaches have upperclassmen to help teach and correct the new kids coming into the program. The coaches can't do it all. This coming year, Archie will not have that assistance, and that's going to be evident in a slower start (I think) for IU. Hopefully the faithful will be patient, and the rivals be understanding for the next couple years. It will take a while for the kids to learn the new system and for them to develop their internal leaders. Yes, Indiana will be just fine.

Reactions: Hoogolf
This, folks, is why they have the reputation of being delusional. UK fans come to this board to join us in making fun of IU fans. (Never mind the fact that we tell them to get lost.) But to think IU is hated, and even funnier, to think he views how fans respond to him as respect, is the ultimate in delusional ignorance. Taking them seriously has been difficult the past several years. Hating them? impossible.

Lol ... I've heard this from PU fans since the 80s. Always good to laugh at the "IU sucks" chant after every opponents touchdown. :)

Hoogolf, you made a point, a good point, in an earlier post. I just got back to the keyboard, so I didn't get a chance to respond to that post directly. You mentioned Archie installing a new system. Many folks might skip right by that point, but I think it is worth discussing. Usually coaches have upperclassmen to help teach and correct the new kids coming into the program. The coaches can't do it all. This coming year, Archie will not have that assistance, and that's going to be evident in a slower start (I think) for IU. Hopefully the faithful will be patient, and the rivals be understanding for the next couple years. It will take a while for the kids to learn the new system and for them to develop their internal leaders. Yes, Indiana will be just fine.

Agree 100%. I'm only optimistic because we have 5 SRs who will play and at least they will have the speed of the game down, but that new system scares me. I'm just glad AM will play guys who guard, but these guys have not guarded anyone as a team since being at IU.

Hopefully IU eventually guards like CMP's teams. Watching D with Crean was similar to hearing nails on a chalkboard. Lol

Over the past 10 years or so, I've changed to see MSU as our most prominent rival. We go after the same players and we have bumped heads for many of the last few years in the BIG regular season title and BIG tournament. All our recruiting drama has centered around MSU: Biggie, JJJ, Tre, etc. If I work at it, I bet the list of players we have recruited and won/lost to MSU is substantial. Indiana just has not been the rival they used to be. I guess that playing them only once a year has added to that change. Do I like this change? No. I want IU and Purdue to duke it out every year for the BIG, but sadly, that is not the case anymore.

Ha ha. Where did I mention a practice scrimmage? Not a college grad? How about high school? Even worse, are you an IU grad?

You quoted me stating about a practice scrimmage. Then you stated how I read into Crean poor coaching in the B10. I already know your not a college grad or you would not question my level of education. Most educated, professionals do not ask others about their education level. Yes, I'm an IU grad. If you want me to simplify it for you. Crean could not win close games with NBA talent. How good could they have been with a good coach? My next point, you can't tell how good IU will be this season based on the HH practice scrimmage. Does that help?

Over the past 10 years or so, I've changed to see MSU as our most prominent rival. We go after the same players and we have bumped heads for many of the last few years in the BIG regular season title and BIG tournament. All our recruiting drama has centered around MSU: Biggie, JJJ, Tre, etc. If I work at it, I bet the list of players we have recruited and won/lost to MSU is substantial. Indiana just has not been the rival they used to be. I guess that playing them only once a year has added to that change. Do I like this change? No. I want IU and Purdue to duke it out every year for the BIG, but sadly, that is not the case anymore.

I like it when IU and PU are both good. Hell, I watch and cheer for PU against everyone but IU.

Agree 100%. I'm only optimistic because we have 5 SRs who will play and at least they will have the speed of the game down, but that new system scares me. I'm just glad AM will play guys who guard, but these guys have not guarded anyone as a team since being at IU.

Hopefully IU eventually guards like CMP's teams. Watching D with Crean was similar to hearing nails on a chalkboard. Lol
The seniors will help, but they still have to learn the new system too. I will bet that Archie's approach will be 180-degrees away from TC, at least let's hope so. It might take most of the season for the players to all get on the same page. One way to speed up the process would be to simplify the playbook. In other words, Archie may have to keep things very basic, and rely on the athleticism of the individuals rather than on teamwork for offense. It will be interesting to watch for sure.

You may not like this comment, but there is still doubt in my mind he was the right/best hire for IU. I have seen many so-called "next great coach" candidates come and go. The BIG is a tough conference that will grind down a coach if he is not at the top of the game. Just look at the coaching merry-go-round at U of I to see what I mean.

The seniors will help, but they still have to learn the new system too. I will bet that Archie's approach will be 180-degrees away from TC, at least let's hope so. It might take most of the season for the players to all get on the same page. One way to speed up the process would be to simplify the playbook. In other words, Archie may have to keep things very basic, and rely on the athleticism of the individuals rather than on teamwork for offense. It will be interesting to watch for sure.

You may not like this comment, but there is still doubt in my mind he was the right/best hire for IU. I have seen many so-called "next great coach" candidates come and go. The BIG is a tough conference that will grind down a coach if he is not at the top of the game. Just look at the coaching merry-go-round at U of I to see what I mean.

Yep. I think the unknown is exciting. You could be right and only time will tell. I just want to see low Turnovers and some defense this year. I want AM to bench guys who don't defend or continue to turn it over. That would be refreshing. I also liked that he lowered expectations for this year and basically said he wants to see us improve through the season. Fingers crossed. Good news he & Painter locked up the 2 game series. It's good for the state.

Yep. I think the unknown is exciting. You could be right and only time will tell. I just want to see low Turnovers and some defense this year. I want AM to bench guys who don't defend or continue to turn it over. That would be refreshing. I also liked that he lowered expectations for this year and basically said he wants to see us improve through the season. Fingers crossed. Good news he & Painter locked up the 2 game series. It's good for the state.
I agree that the protected rivalry is good. I agree with Mathboy that in the Crean years the rivalry didn’t seem nearly as intense as in the Keady/Knight years and that MSU has felt like Purdue’s greatest rival, even more than IU, but I can already see that shifting back with Archie at the helm at IU and the protected rivalry back in place.

I agree that the protected rivalry is good. I agree with Mathboy that in the Crean years the rivalry didn’t seem nearly as intense as in the Keady/Knight years and that MSU has felt like Purdue’s greatest rival, even more than IU, but I can already see that shifting back with Archie at the helm at IU and the protected rivalry back in place.

I think a lot of it is due to recruiting. Crean stopped recruiting the Midwest and MSU seem to target a lot of the same guys as PU which has led to some bitterness on both sides. No doubt

I think a lot of it is due to recruiting. Crean stopped recruiting the Midwest and MSU seem to target a lot of the same guys as PU which has led to some bitterness on both sides. No doubt
Yep. Dawson, Harris, Swanigan, JJacksonJr, XTillman, and Eastern all were recruiting battles closely followed by fans of both sides. Now, Archie is going after the same players that Izzo and Painter have been fighting over.

Quoting Forbes is a ridiculous exercise. Obviously you either never took a class in Economics or you were not paying attention if you did take one. Value is determined by what someone is willing to pay for it according to Economics. IU cannot sell its BB team. Therefore it cannot be accurately valued. This kind of article is simply musing about a concept but has no basis in reality.

You can make intelligent estimates of the cash flows associated with a program, but you cannot estimate worth as that becomes a multiple of the cash flows. In this case the multiple is zero. Zero times anything is zero.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT