ADVERTISEMENT

Harris is coming ! Harris is special.

The team will be completely different next year without Edey, and Catchings will start next year, so depends if we go with 2 SF's in Catchings and Heide, or go small with Harris and Catchings at the 4? How good is Jacobsen, does he play allot of center or does he need time to develop.

Long story short, 100% Smith starts, 90% Catchings starts and 75% Loyer starts.

Its a good problem to have, but very real chance Harris doesnt start. More to do with our depth than Harris. We will see.
I can agree with a lot of that although I think Braden and Fletcher 100% start as does Trey. I think Catchings starts (maybe not the first few games) but if not he will play a LOT...he is very talented. Cam is going to get major minutes as will Myles. Not sure how Berg fits in. He has improved a lot and will get some minutes I believe. How much I have no idea. Lot of time before next season for growth in several players

A few points-

1. Harris won his region player of the year. It’s a good region and he’s likely top 2-3 for GA player of the year but he hasn’t won that yet
2. Wilkins isn’t getting away from UGA. Would love to have him though, especially if timing were a bit different. I don’t think he’d want to sit behind Brayden and I’ve seen him live twice…he’s not as quick as Brayden…yet.
3. I think Catchings and Harris start
4. Name the last MSU big time recruit who lived up to the hype. We did t miss Malik Hall for a half a second. Booker doesn’t even play. I know he missed some time but he looks less than ill prepared for the college game. Call me crazy but I feel Flory Bidunga will fit this category too.
5. Newman was more athletic than Ivey as a recruit. Once Ivey showed up he bought in strength and nutrition wise and is an incredibly hard worker. He took many steps. Newman wasn’t much better the day he left than the day he came I.
6. I don’t think Jacobson ever contributes here meaningfully. Hope I’m wrong.
I’ve been told that Braden isn’t that quick! Even after he cooked Cupps all night, I was told Him and Cupps are very similar in speed. I’m told on X that Smith can’t get to the bucket by himself and it’s only because of edey’s picks!

😂 😂

I’ve been told that Braden isn’t that quick! Even after he cooked Cupps all night, I was told Him and Cupps are very similar in speed. I’m told on X that Smith can’t get to the bucket by himself and it’s only because of edey’s picks!

😂 😂
ignore those and listen to a few in the forum! ;) One thing that makes Braden so good is how quickly he processes things...how quickly his decisions are, how well he sees the court and how in a split second he makes a play. All that together makes it easy for him to believe that he can do everything and once in a while takes on too much and tries to control the game too much...but you also don't want to hinder too much that aggressiveness...

ignore those and listen to a few in the forum! ;) One thing that makes Braden so good is how quickly he processes things...how quickly his decisions are, how well he sees the court and how in a split second he makes a play. All that together makes it easy for him to believe that he can do everything and once in a while takes on too much and tries to control the game too much...but you also don't want to hinder too much that aggressiveness...
Oh I’m out there defending him and laughing at them. They don’t watch him like we all do, every game. They think he’s only good cuz of Zach. But they’ll see next year without Zach, but then they’ll make up another excuse. All I know is I’m glad he’s our PG and standby saying he’s going to be the best PG we have seen at Purdue.

I can agree with a lot of that although I think Braden and Fletcher 100% start as does Trey. I think Catchings starts (maybe not the first few games) but if not he will play a LOT...he is very talented. Cam is going to get major minutes as will Myles. Not sure how Berg fits in. He has improved a lot and will get some minutes I believe. How much I have no idea. Lot of time before next season for growth in several players

We have 2 4 star recruits coming in, both capable of shooting and playing guard although Catchings is obviously a SF.

I dont want to say 100% because you never know. If Harris comes in with the shooting of Fletcher but the defensive claims are real, weirder things have happened.

Berg has not impressed in his mop up duties, and Jacobsen comes highly touted too. I like Trey, but there is a world where Jacobsen comes in lights out too.

You never know, Smith should be All Big ten first or 2nd team, hard to take an all big ten player out of the starting lineup so he is the only one I say starts 100%, although very likely Fketch keeps his starting job and greater than 50% that Trey does too.

We have 2 4 star recruits coming in, both capable of shooting and playing guard although Catchings is obviously a SF.

I dont want to say 100% because you never know. If Harris comes in with the shooting of Fletcher but the defensive claims are real, weirder things have happened.

Berg has not impressed in his mop up duties, and Jacobsen comes highly touted too. I like Trey, but there is a world where Jacobsen comes in lights out too.

You never know, Smith should be All Big ten first or 2nd team, hard to take an all big ten player out of the starting lineup so he is the only one I say starts 100%, although very likely Fketch keeps his starting job and greater than 50% that Trey does too.
Jacobsen may not even play next year and Redshirt. He is also going to be a year younger than everyone else in his class, so he may use the year to add weight. Can’t see TKR losing his starting spot and no way Braden does. Fletch will start for at least the first half of the year and I’d assume all year. But what really counts is who is closing out games. Burgess is a dawg and can hit 3s so don’t forget about him at the 4…maybe he RS?? But we have so many options 1-5, it’s crazy. Practice is going to be insane with that competition and having to compete for minutes.

The team will be completely different next year without Edey, and Catchings will start next year, so depends if we go with 2 SF's in Catchings and Heide, or go small with Harris and Catchings at the 4? How good is Jacobsen, does he play allot of center or does he need time to develop.

Long story short, 100% Smith starts, 90% Catchings starts and 75% Loyer starts.

Its a good problem to have, but very real chance Harris doesnt start. More to do with our depth than Harris. We will see.
Opening night 100% chance Smith and Loyer start, 85% TKR starts, after that not sure. I’ll make a first night prediction (likely wrong but that’s ok lol) Furst/TKR/Colvin/Loyer/Smith. Catchings, Harris, Heide, Berg first 4 off the bench. Remember it’s first game, I think Furst will get first dibs on opening night.

Opening night 100% chance Smith and Loyer start, 85% TKR starts, after that not sure. I’ll make a first night prediction (likely wrong but that’s ok lol) Furst/TKR/Colvin/Loyer/Smith. Catchings, Harris, Heide, Berg first 4 off the bench. Remember it’s first game, I think Furst will get first dibs on opening night.
Nailed it. Those three start and it's going to be a battle at the 3 and 5.

I didn’t.

I don’t think Jacobson is big or tough enough inside to dominate at the level we are used to having our bigs dominate. We’ll find a guy who fits the traditional Painter big role and Jacobson will either play the 4 or play the 5 sparingly like Furst. It is what it is. The kids tape doesn’t scream out anything special to me.
I don't trust highlight clips. I will make this statement now Daniel Jacobsen will be the highest draft pick in this class! I see where one of the ranking sites had him at 68 others apparently think he is something special. He is just young. Jason Smith is a good coach and has done well with him. You can't teach 7'2 you can however fill him out and build him up. He reclassed to jump to the NBA early because he is a mobile 7'2" his dad knows what they are doing. I want his brother as well in 2026 unless he reclassifies.

Putting the likelihood of Catchings starting as higher than Loyer shows a complete disconnect from reality.
Catchings could be a one and done player, he has that level tallent. Loyer might never make the NBA. I know talent isnt everything, and CMP is loyal, but Catchings I feel is coming in and will be special from day 1. Including Biggie, I think Catchings might be our best recruit since Big Dog.

Just an opinion, but the type that starts from day 1, as for Harris, I havent watch film on him, but I hear great things about him too....lots of competition next year for the starting spots.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Oh I’m out there defending him and laughing at them. They don’t watch him like we all do, every game. They think he’s only good cuz of Zach. But they’ll see next year without Zach, but then they’ll make up another excuse. All I know is I’m glad he’s our PG and standby saying he’s going to be the best PG we have seen at

Catchings could be a one and done player, he has that level tallent. Loyer might never make the NBA. I know talent isnt everything, and CMP is loyal, but Catchings I feel is coming in and will be special from day 1. Including Biggie, I think Catchings might be our best recruit since Big Dog.

Just an opinion, but the type that starts from day 1, as for Harris, I havent watch film on him, but I hear great things about him too....lots of competition next year for the starting spots.
No that would be Zach but I agree with everything else. Harris has the body to play but Myles isn't starting and nor will Harris unless Braden makes Kelsey Barlow's prediction come true and Braden is NBA ready. Harris plays hard and is a constant threat on both sides of the ball. Kanon looks the part but this crap league is hurting him for the College level while benefitting for the NBA. He can be the most dominating player in the blink of the eye. He is special.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Oh I’m out there defending him and laughing at them. They don’t watch him like we all do, every game. They think he’s only good cuz of Zach. But they’ll see next year without Zach, but then they’ll make up another excuse. All I know is I’m glad he’s our PG and standby saying he’s going to be the best PG we have seen at Purdue.
I know that I was just teasing you

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I don't even know what the "traditional Painter role" is. Looking at our primary post players under Painter:

JaJuan Johnson
AJ Hammons
Isaac Haas
Matt Haarms
Trevion Williams
Zach Edey

There is a lot of variability in those players.
Yes!

Painter often says that he adjusts his system to match his players instead of plugging his players into a rigid system. The 2019 Elite 8 team is a great example of an offense that didn’t run through the post because it played to the strength of Haarms. This year’s offense features far more pick and roll than we have ever seen because the offense is built around a tremendous point guard/center combination.

Completely understand the point regarding NBA talent and if Catchings comes in and plays like a lottery pick that's awesome. I'd just note that there are a lot of first round draft picks who are just ok contributors in college. Hopefully that's not Kanon but I strongly disagree with your assessment that there's a 90%+ likelihood that he's an immediate impact player.

Loyer is the opposite. Agree that he may never play in the NBA but he's highly productive and efficient in college and continuing to improve. I hear a lot of people talk about Painter being loyal in almost derogatory terms, as though he's playing older players at the expense of team outcomes, but IMO it's not about loyalty, it's about guys who play winning basketball. You don't have to go too far down the road to see a number of highly touted NBA prospects who don't play winning basketball.

Completely understand the point regarding NBA talent and if Catchings comes in and plays like a lottery pick that's awesome. I'd just note that there are a lot of first round draft picks who are just ok contributors in college. Hopefully that's not Kanon but I strongly disagree with your assessment that there's a 90%+ likelihood that he's an immediate impact player.

Loyer is the opposite. Agree that he may never play in the NBA but he's highly productive and efficient in college and continuing to improve. I hear a lot of people talk about Painter being loyal in almost derogatory terms, as though he's playing older players at the expense of team outcomes, but IMO it's not about loyalty, it's about guys who play winning basketball. You don't have to go too far down the road to see a number of highly touted NBA prospects who don't play winning basketball.
Over the summer many people were thinking Gillis would not or should not get any playing time this year. I don't think I ever responded but was thinking this was BS. Gillis is a good CBB player. Painter is not playing due to his tenure. I agree, very few guys are going to walk into the Purdue program and be a star as a freshman. Not this day and age anyway.

Maybe the NCAA will allow Purdue to start 6 players as long as they identify as only 5?
While we are going down the imaginary road of "identification", why limit it to 6 and why can't three of the players identify as refs and the remaining as opposition coaches? The imaginary world has no restraints.

• Haha
Reactions: Do Dah Day

"CMP is loyal."

I'm not sure what that means in the context of this discussion. CMP is loyal to Purdue and his staff. He is certainly loyal to his players as well, but not at the expense of losing games.

I remember JJJ. We all thought he was going to be an awesome player. He chose MSU over Purdue. That was a very sad day for Purdue fans. As a freshman at MSU, he didn’t even start or average double digit points. But he still turned pro after one year. And he was drafted by the grizzlies. And became an awesome defensive oriented nba player. And now he’s an all star.

We all knew he had awesome talent. But he wasn’t able to showcase that talent in college.

Why do I bring this up? Catchings is awesome. But will his talent be showcased and properly utilized by Purdue next year? Or will he be much like JJJ?

• Haha
Reactions: Dryfly88
I remember JJJ. We all thought he was going to be an awesome player. He chose MSU over Purdue. That was a very sad day for Purdue fans. As a freshman at MSU, he didn’t even start or average double digit points. But he still turned pro after one year. And he was drafted by the grizzlies. And became an awesome defensive oriented nba player. And now he’s an all star.

We all knew he had awesome talent. But he wasn’t able to showcase that talent in college.

Why do I bring this up? Catchings is awesome. But will his talent be showcased and properly utilized by Purdue next year? Or will he be much like JJJ?

Hey Wole,

Jaren Jackson Jr.? (JJJ - assuming) - he started all but one game and averaged 10.9/5.8 and 3 blocks per game.

That team was loaded offensively with Bridges, Winston, Langford and Ward as well.

Now, would JJJ have fit in at Purdue? Absolutely......would he have put up better numbers? Who knows?

Hey Wole,

Jaren Jackson Jr.? (JJJ - assuming) - he started all but one game and averaged 10.9/5.8 and 3 blocks per game.

That team was loaded offensively with Bridges, Winston, Langford and Ward as well.

Now, would JJJ have fit in at Purdue? Absolutely......would he have put up better numbers? Who knows?
Knock it off with facts.

Do you even do any research before you post stuff like this? You couldn't be more wrong.

Reactions: pu1985

He will have challenges as all freshmen do, but he is very talented, long and athletic. He can play the 2,3&4 as needed. He can score in all 3 areas and will be a matchup problem for the opposition. If he comes in ready to learn and applies himself mentally, his physical attributes and skill will shine. He can be very good. Will he?

While we are going down the imaginary road of "identification", why limit it to 6 and why can't three of the players identify as refs and the remaining as opposition coaches? The imaginary world has no restraints.
Is the rumor true... that we'll have new uniforms with black and white striped jerseys and black trunks?

Reactions: tjreese
We’re still waiting for him to list off the double digit violent criminals that played basketball at Purdue.
I provided you 5 examples of Purdue athletes that also had issues with the law. If a normal person punches out their roommate and breaks their jaw, it’s called sssault! But if a Purdue football player does it, the court looks the other way. I could have provided many more. Rather than posting an encyclopedia, I provided examples to prove my point. It’s obvious you didn’t want to read about our bad boys! I guess Swanigan didn’t go to court? I guess haas wasn’t involved in an std?

As for jjj, I believe you should do some research of your own involving his playing days at MSU rather than just posting cherry picked stats. That team was loaded at PF and he didn’t start every game. Look at his minutes played . He shared time. How about asking an MSU fan rather than copying and pasting something you found on the internet! I used JJJ as an example of a player who came to college as a one and done hyped player. His performance in that one year at MSU was rather mediocre to what he has accomplished in the NBA. 99% of real fans who are not trying to nit pick would agree with me!

• Haha
Reactions: boilerzz
Is the rumor true... that we'll have new uniforms with black and white striped jerseys and black trunks?
not only that but once down the slope of stupidity Purdue will also have the attire for every player to make a call at any moment in the game

I provided you 5 examples of Purdue athletes that also had issues with the law. If a normal person punches out their roommate and breaks their jaw, it’s called sssault! But if a Purdue football player does it, the court looks the other way. I could have provided many more. Rather than posting an encyclopedia, I provided examples to prove my point. It’s obvious you didn’t want to read about our bad boys! I guess Swanigan didn’t go to court? I guess haas wasn’t involved in an std?

As for jjj, I believe you should do some research of your own involving his playing days at MSU rather than just posting cherry picked stats. That team was loaded at PF and he didn’t start every game. Look at his minutes played . He shared time. How about asking an MSU fan rather than copying and pasting something you found on the internet! I used JJJ as an example of a player who came to college as a one and done hyped player. His performance in that one year at MSU was rather mediocre to what he has accomplished in the NBA. 99% of real fans who are not trying to nit pick would agree with me!
You're the one that said he didn't start or avg double figures. Geezus dude, you are clueless. He started all but one game and wait for it....he averaged 10.9 ppg. As I said, you couldn't be more wrong. They are called facts, not someone's opinion. You don't like it when you are called out? Then don't post stuff that simply isn't true, that would be a good start. They aren't cherry picked stats, they are his stats from his freshman year, which is exactly what you were talking about.

Reactions: Do Dah Day

Why bring Haas into this. He broke no laws.

Blame the JJJ kerfuffle on me, Wole, as I was the immediate responder and posted the "cherry picked" stats. Didn't intend to flan the flames, but the best laid plans.....

You have a point IMO about the minutes played, but I just didn't see all of the connection and the idea of mediocrity....he's done well for himself.......he was one and done, which is another argument (errrr....discussion....haha) for another day. We have lost many of the Michigan State guests like Cousin of Sparty and SpartanJD.....maybe it was the On3 split.....maybe not.

He was 3rd team all-conference, Big Ten Freshman of the Year and Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year, and that's the last I'll say on the subject.....except sorry for the misunderstanding....

1238629.jpg

You made negative -- even potentially slanderous -- comments about Purdue athletes. And you didn't back it up with links or facts. Typical of you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT