ADVERTISEMENT

Harris is coming ! Harris is special.

Wolegib

All-American
May 23, 2013
The article about him uses the phrase “defensive minded combo guard”. For the Myles fans, He has some competition for next year. And whoever plays the best defense is going to get the most playing time. I can’t see Harris redshirting!

The article about him uses the phrase “defensive minded combo guard”. For the Myles fans, He has some competition for next year. And whoever plays the best defense is going to get the most playing time. I can’t see Harris redshirting!
Harris is more of a 1, while Myles is a 2. Harris will prob back up smith. And def won’t be redshirting. Painter has said he’s ready to play right away. He’s gonna be gooooood.

I know most disagree with me, but because of reports of his D, I think Harris is the guy that eventually replaces Jones as a starter.

We know one of Colvin, Heide, Cox, Harris & Benter will replace Jones. Going to need to be a guy that can put up points AND be the guy to D it up like Jones does. Most of those guys can score it well, so whomever emerges defensively will be the guy.

In any case, I think all of Cox, Benter and Harris see a lot of minutes next year. Going to be fun, seeing Painter blend in the new talent. With that much talent @ guard I see Loyer's minutes dwindling when he is off.

Last edited:
I know most disagree with me, but because of reports of his D, I think he is the guy that eventually replaces Jones as a starter.

We know one Colvin, Heide, Cox, Harris & Benter will replace Jones. Going to need to be a guy that can put up points AND be the guy to D it up like Jones does. Most of those guys can score it well, so whomever emerges defensively will be the guy.

In any case, I think all of Cox, Benter and Harris see a lot of minutes next year. Going to be fun, seeing Painter blend in the new talent. With that much talent @ guard I see Loyer's minutes dwindling when he is off.
Who is disagreeing about Harris and the jones comp?!

Also what if Loyer isn’t off and he continues to be a 50% 3pt shooter?

Who is disagreeing about Harris and the jones comp?!

Also what if Loyer isn’t off and he continues to be a 50% 3pt shooter?

Loyer will start, no question.
But you know as well as I do Loyer disappears occasionally from time to time. 9 games under 7 pts. Will be nice to have other great 3pt shooters available when he is off. I suspect Benter in the game alot when Loyer's having an off day.

I could see Harris sliding right into Lance's role by the end of next season.
Yep. I guess I should have said to start the year. But I could also see 2 of Heide, Colvin or Loyer in the 2, 3 spots starting. Then Harris backing up smith and one of them.

But you know as well as I do Loyer disappears occasionally from time to time. 9 games under 7 pts. Will be nice to have other great 3pt shooters available when he is off. I suspect Benter in the game alot when Loyer's having an off day.
Yeah for sure. It’ll be interesting to see his role next year. He’s what, the 3rd or 4th leading scorer right now and shooting 50% on high volume from 3? I think that’s a pretty good role for him. As long as he can hit an open 3 when needed and his FTs, then we should be good for this year….but def a good problem to have /provide opinions on for next year!

I started the thread because of all the people demanding Myles be given more playing time and believing he will be the chosen player to replace Jones.

But in reality, Painter values defense a lot more than he values shooting skills.

It appears Harris is known as a good defender. And he can score. painter has shown he’s willing to start freshmen if they can handle the defense requirements.

If I were a betting person, I would bet painter chooses the better defender regardless of how much experience the player has. That is why I say if Myles and his fan expect him to replace Jones, he had better improve his defense because there is going to be some very stiff competition for that spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeffandmike
I started the thread because of all the people demanding Myles be given more playing time and believing he will be the chosen player to replace Jones.

But in reality, Painter values defense a lot more than he values shooting skills.

It appears Harris is known as a good defender. And he can score. painter has shown he’s willing to start freshmen if they can handle the defense requirements.

If I were a better person, I would bet painter chooses the better defender regardless of how much experience the player has. That is why I say if Myles and his fan expect him to replace Jones, he had better improve his defense because there is going to be some very stiff competition for that spot.
Painter plays the best players, assuming they aren’t a liability to the team defense. And it is a team defense.

If I were a better person, I would bet painter chooses the better defender regardless of how much experience the player has. That is why I say if Myles and his fan expect him to replace Jones, he had better improve his defense because there is going to be some very stiff competition for that spot.
Harris may back Braden up as well so I can see him getting plenty of minutes at the 1 and 2 while also seeing Colvin playing the 2 or 3 simultaneously.

Reactions: pboiler18

To be fair to Colvin, we really haven't seen enough of a sample size when it comes to PT to know much of anything. But from what we have seen, appears behind on both sides of the ball.......not just defense.

Doesn't quite get the movement part of the motion offense. But yes has a pretty jumper, just beautiful.

Harris just won Georgia player of the year. I know the kid can play PG however I think he is more suited for the two because he is a better scorer than facilitator when playing off the ball. I wish we had his teammate Jacob Wilkens as well yes Domanic is his dad. He and Harris play well together. The only player I believe will start is Catching, but all 6 could start. The problem I have with super athletic players like Cox and Harris is you never know what the ceiling is. When I watched AJ Hoggart play AAU. I thought give MSU the B1G Ten for 4 years while he has been good, he never has been great playing a team game. The one thing all 6 have in common they are team players. Sometimes Harris will not look to score when one of his teammates has the hot hand. While it's the right thing to do it's not what I stayed up past midnight to watch. He had 8 assist last week 7 were to Wilkins (29 pts) who made 6 threes 4 on an assist from Harris who finished with 9 points. I was 100% convinced Newman was the better guard than Ivey mainly because Newman was more athletic wrong again. On the defensive end there can be no doubt Harris should start. One thing I am sure of we will be a contender for years to come based on this class it's the best I have seen with all due respect to 2014's.
Side note Daniel Jacobsen is not the player Painter recruited he is much better. Kids learning curve is off the charts. I can see him becoming the best of this class in short order. It's not just one part of his game unless you consider confidence, he has quickly become a weapon as opposed to a role player. Huge jump!

Harris just won Georgia player of the year. I know the kid can play PG however I think he is more suited for the two because he is a better scorer than facilitator when playing off the ball. I wish we had his teammate Jacob Wilkens as well yes Domanic is his dad. He and Harris play well together. The only player I believe will start is Catching, but all 6 could start. The problem I have with super athletic players like Cox and Harris is you never know what the ceiling is. When I watched AJ Hoggart play AAU. I thought give MSU the B1G Ten for 4 years while he has been good, he never has been great playing a team game. The one thing all 6 have in common they are team players. Sometimes Harris will not look to score when one of his teammates has the hot hand. While it's the right thing to do it's not what I stayed up past midnight to watch. He had 8 assist last week 7 were to Wilkins (29 pts) who made 6 threes 4 on an assist from Harris who finished with 9 points. I was 100% convinced Newman was the better guard than Ivey mainly because Newman was more athletic wrong again. On the defensive end there can be no doubt Harris should start. One thing I am sure of we will be a contender for years to come based on this class it's the best I have seen with all due respect to 2014's.
Side note Daniel Jacobsen is not the player Painter recruited he is much better. Kids learning curve is off the charts. I can see him becoming the best of this class in short order. It's not just one part of his game unless you consider confidence, he has quickly become a weapon as opposed to a role player. Huge jump!
A few points-

1. Harris won his region player of the year. It’s a good region and he’s likely top 2-3 for GA player of the year but he hasn’t won that yet
2. Wilkins isn’t getting away from UGA. Would love to have him though, especially if timing were a bit different. I don’t think he’d want to sit behind Brayden and I’ve seen him live twice…he’s not as quick as Brayden…yet.
3. I think Catchings and Harris start
4. Name the last MSU big time recruit who lived up to the hype. We did t miss Malik Hall for a half a second. Booker doesn’t even play. I know he missed some time but he looks less than ill prepared for the college game. Call me crazy but I feel Flory Bidunga will fit this category too.
5. Newman was more athletic than Ivey as a recruit. Once Ivey showed up he bought in strength and nutrition wise and is an incredibly hard worker. He took many steps. Newman wasn’t much better the day he left than the day he came I.
6. I don’t think Jacobson ever contributes here meaningfully. Hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
A few points-

1. Harris won his region player of the year. It’s a good region and he’s likely top 2-3 for GA player of the year but he hasn’t won that yet
2. Wilkins isn’t getting away from UGA. Would love to have him though, especially if timing were a bit different. I don’t think he’d want to sit behind Brayden and I’ve seen him live twice…he’s not as quick as Brayden…yet.
3. I think Catchings and Harris start
4. Name the last MSU big time recruit who lived up to the hype. We did t miss Malik Hall for a half a second. Booker doesn’t even play. I know he missed some time but he looks less than ill prepared for the college game. Call me crazy but I feel Flory Bidunga will fit this category too.
5. Newman was more athletic than Ivey as a recruit. Once Ivey showed up he bought in strength and nutrition wise and is an incredibly hard worker. He took many steps. Newman wasn’t much better the day he left than the day he came I.
6. I don’t think Jacobson ever contributes here meaningfully. Hope I’m wrong.
I don't really follow recruiting or player rankings very closely. For my benefit, could you expand on your #6?

I'm guessing he said the same thing about Edey.
I didn’t.

I don’t think Jacobson is big or tough enough inside to dominate at the level we are used to having our bigs dominate. We’ll find a guy who fits the traditional Painter big role and Jacobson will either play the 4 or play the 5 sparingly like Furst. It is what it is. The kids tape doesn’t scream out anything special to me.

I could envision Jacobson being similar to Haarms. And that’s a pretty good thing.

I’m excited about the present team and I’m excited about the future. What’s even more exciting is to look at Painter’s past recruits and their accomplishments at Purdue. And then to look at Painters new recruits! The incoming class has even more talent than past recruiting classes. Each class is getting better! Just think about who are our two lowest ranked incomers. They are better than most team’s best recruits.

I could envision Jacobson being similar to Haarms. And that’s a pretty good thing.

I’m excited about the present team and I’m excited about the future. What’s even more exciting is to look at Painter’s past recruits and their accomplishments at Purdue. And then to look at Painters new recruits! The incoming class has even more talent than past recruiting classes. Each class is getting better! Just think about who are our two lowest ranked incomers. They are better than most team’s best recruits.
I'll put my faith in Painter and his eye for talent.
Kramer and Edey are perfect examples.
Both rated in the 400's.

I think that Cox, Benter and Harris are all good enough to play next year, I just don't know where those minutes will come from. As you said, Loyer will start and IMO he and Braden will play as many minutes as they can in close games.

Obviously minutes open up from Lance and Ethan leaving, but you'll have a third year guy in Cam and a second year guy in Myles pushing for more PT. Good problem to have, but I just don't see there being minutes available for Benter next year based on his skill set and position. Seems almost certain, per your point, that Harris and / or Cox will play because they can provide additional ball handling.

I didn’t.

I don’t think Jacobson is big or tough enough inside to dominate at the level we are used to having our bigs dominate. We’ll find a guy who fits the traditional Painter big role and Jacobson will either play the 4 or play the 5 sparingly like Furst. It is what it is. The kids tape doesn’t scream out anything special to me.
He's a very different player from Edey. Much more of a pick and pop guy. I guess I just see the ability to develop bigs that Brantley and Painter have shown and have a hard time seeing the #68 recruit flaming out.

I didn’t.

I like his tape but you're right, he's very different from Zach, Issaac, AJ, etc. That's not necessarily a bad thing, MP has continuously shown a willingness and ability to adjust his approach to highlight the strengths of his best players.

Having said that, he'll face elite competition at the 4 and 5 next year with Trey and Caleb in their 4th year in the program (I'm assuming Mason moves on but he may not) and Berg, Catchings and Burgess all vying for minutes.

It will be very interesting to see how it all plays out. Good problem to have.

These are the kind of discussions that the big boy programs have. I love it that we are having them now too. Keep bringing in the talent CMP, and it will sort itself out.

That said, we as fans need to adjust also. You can't bring in big talent year after year and not think you will have players move on, especially now with the current rules. It's ok, nothing wrong with it and it will be necessary in order to continue to recruit high level guys. It doesn't mean that we won't also have good 4 year guys in the program, but we also need to be ok with guys moving on because they can't get PT.

The team will be completely different next year without Edey, and Catchings will start next year, so depends if we go with 2 SF's in Catchings and Heide, or go small with Harris and Catchings at the 4? How good is Jacobsen, does he play allot of center or does he need time to develop.

Long story short, 100% Smith starts, 90% Catchings starts and 75% Loyer starts.

Its a good problem to have, but very real chance Harris doesnt start. More to do with our depth than Harris. We will see.

as I have mentioned before, I watch Creighton pretty much and Jacobsen reminds me of Kalkbrenner, has a nice shot, good rebounder, and shot blocker w/o being very physical

I don't even know what the "traditional Painter role" is. Looking at our primary post players under Painter:

JaJuan Johnson
AJ Hammons
Isaac Haas
Matt Haarms
Trevion Williams
Zach Edey

There is a lot of variability in those players.
Add Caleb Swanigan to that list...and you have even more variety.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see how Painter puts all the pieces together around Braden.

as I have mentioned before, I watch Creighton pretty much and Jacobsen reminds me of Kalkbrenner, has a nice shot, good rebounder, and shot blocker w/o being very physical
That's a really good call out. I hadn't even considered Kalkbrenner as a comp but I think there are a lot of similarities. If you believe recruiting profiles, Daniel is actually a little thicker at this point, listed at 235 versus Kalk listed at 210 in his recruiting profile.

Creighton does post up RK at times but he's much more of a complimentary, pick and pop player than a destination scorer. That works well if you have really strong guard play, which Purdue projects to have for at least the next couple of years.

I didn’t.

I don't think Matt has to have a low post player like AJ, Haas or Zach. I think he has no trouble with a Juwan Johnson type player as well...or a Kalkbrenner and Jacobson is a bit more fluid like Kalkbrenner in the little I've seen, but is also a legitimate threat from the perimeter. I understand him to be very young and his athletic ability may never approach Juwan's, but it will get better and his skill is already pretty good. The recruiting pieces coming in suggest an up and down tempo more than a low post and strictly half court players. Don't get me wrong good teams need to be good in the half to beat other good teams, but I see a quicker flow in the future.

That said, Trey has shown an ability to play more on the perimeter and we know he will get minutes next year either down low or improve his shooting enough to go outside some since Zach will not be there to gather the swarm of bodies. My hope is that Caleb improves his skill and he and Trey play together some at the 4 and 5 interchanging inside possessions.

I don't think Matt has to have a low post player like AJ, Haas or Zach. I think he has no trouble with a Juwan Johnson type player as well...or a Kalkbrenner and Jacobson is a bit more fluid like Kalkbrenner in the little I've seen, but is also a legitimate threat from the perimeter. I understand him to be very young and his athletic ability may never approach Juwan's, but it will get better and his skill is already pretty good. The recruiting pieces coming in suggest an up and down tempo more than a low post and strictly half court players. Don't get me wrong good teams need to be good in the half to beat other good teams, but I see a quicker flow in the future.

That said, Trey has shown an ability to play more on the perimeter and we know he will get minutes next year either down low or improve his shooting enough to go outside some since Zach will not be there to gather the swarm of bodies. My hope is that Caleb improves his skill and he and Trey play together some at the 4 and 5 interchanging inside possessions.
Daniel is also 4 or 5 inches taller than JJ, which helps to offset the difference in athleticism. Not saying that DJ will be a BTPOY or defensive player of the year like JJ was, but he has a lot of tools to work with and 100% agree that Painter can and will adjust his schemes based on personnel.

I’d take a 7’-3” Kalkbrenner all day every day!

Release the Kalken.....

I'll see myself out, now. Good day.......

rim-shot-badum-tss.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT