ADVERTISEMENT

Haas's hands

Dec 20, 2011
Horrible right now! Has to be an offseason focus for CMP and staff. Fumbles on the catch to much and brings it down every time, plus shows the ball when going up by taken his left hand off.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Let's hope the improvement is better than AJH, this time around. If we are going to throw it in as much as we do, we are goin to need someone with better hands.

plenty of time this off season to work on things and improve like others have.
i think when AJH began starting again and taking a majority of the minutes back, plus haas's maybe over-adjustments to how refs were calling his fouls - all led to him playing far less aggressive and over thinking things like freshman can do.

he'll be a monster next year with or without AJH around i bet

Haas has been a pleasant surprise this year. He is a good kid and not afraid of hard work. BUT he is a freshman big. There is a learning curve and freshmen can hit "the wall" late in the season.

Painter is a good coach. Haas will be great next year.

Originally posted by BoilerBiker:
plenty of time this off season to work on things and improve like others have.
i think when AJH began starting again and taking a majority of the minutes back, plus haas's maybe over-adjustments to how refs were calling his fouls - all led to him playing far less aggressive and over thinking things like freshman can do.

he'll be a monster next year with or without AJH around i bet
I agree with your assessment

Look, he maybe 7'2"...but he's still a Freshman. I expect major improvements relatively quickly. He's going to be very good. Mathias, Edwards and Haas are going to really do good things.

The big boy is struggling mightily. He may have hit the Freshman wall, not sure. I know he will be much better next year, as he seems like someone who will put the work in during the off season.

Unfortunately, in the tourney, it might be best to play Hammons 35+ minutes and if he has foul trouble or needs a blow, we just need to go very small.

Originally posted by purdue4sure:
Haas is going to be very good at Purdue. Relax.
This.

Love the kid. Love him. He's a hard worker, a good listener, a hustler, and a good teammate. He's also a warrior, and how many freshmen--or upperclassmen--can you truly say that about?

Touch can be improved, and Haas will improve his. Taking a step back and looking at his body of work objectively, he's had a fantastic freshman year.

As an aside, he also took time out to be kind to my nine-year-old son and to shoot baskets with him on a football Saturday on campus. That shows me he's humble and kindhearted too.

Originally posted by Ben Shadeland:
This.

Love the kid. Love him. He's a hard worker, a good listener, a hustler, and a good teammate. He's also a warrior, and how many freshmen--or upperclassmen--can you truly say that about?

Touch can be improved, and Haas will improve his. Taking a step back and looking at his body of work objectively, he's had a fantastic freshman year.

As an aside, he also took time out to be kind to my nine-year-old son and to shoot baskets with him on a football Saturday on campus. That shows me he's humble and kindhearted too.
Great story. I would include that in his "body of work". He has been an awesome representative for Purdue University.

Anyone who thinks he should have done more than he did this year must have forgotten how some on this board wanted to compare him with Matt ten Dam before his first game in a Purdue uniform..

Originally posted by D A Y:

Coby Fleener-esque

laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Ben Shadeland:
This.

Great story. I would include that in his "body of work". He has been an awesome representative for Purdue University.

Anyone who thinks he should have done more than he did this year must have forgotten how some on this board wanted to compare him with Matt ten Dam before his first game in a Purdue uniform..
Hahahaha!!! Ole Matt ten Dam! How long did we wait on the Karate Kid to develop? Wow! That'd rank at the top of most recruit "Busts" lists.

It took JJJ until his senior year before he could go to rack without having the ball knocked out of his hands. Haas will be much stronger with the ball next year.

Re: Oh, my... REALLY?

I think the current assessment is accurate. It's not an attack on the kid but it is how he is playing right now. I think he will work extremely hard this year and me much improved next year. He will have problems against smaller, more athletic 5's, though The development of Vince and the availabllity of Taylor should give him help defensively.

Originally posted by Tadal32:
Horrible right now! Has to be an offseason focus for CMP and staff. Fumbles on the catch to much and brings it down every time, plus shows the ball when going up by taken his left hand off.
I was thinking about this last night. I think in a couple hot practices, some of these things will be taken care of. You throw him the ball and have 5 shorter guys just claw, smack and even bite him with no fouls called. Learning how to maintain position without knocking the defender down should also be a focus. A lot of little things that I see him learning and he is going to be really good. The basic nerdy phrase is "the good thing about a freshman player is that he becomes a sophomore". Unless they are one and done I guess.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT