ADVERTISEMENT

Grambling v. Purdue - Game Thread (2024 NCAA Tournament, Midwest Region - round of 64)

Is there no answer at all defensively for that free throw extended jumper?

Are we just going to give them that the whole game?

Reactions: seminolesboilers
Nice drive from Fletch.....Boilers up 36-27. Welp.....more torture from the Boilers. Wow.

ZE misses two front ends, and Jones missed one......you only can have three in a half.

On the positive side, Braden Smith physically looks pretty good. I'm surprised I'm as calm as I am. Haha.
They are drivers and shot makers mostly. D needs adjustment. Not sure if Trey can sag enough so Zach can move a couple feet closer to shooters. Stop penetration and hit FTs no turnovers

Reactions: wferrel
Grambling has made some tough shots. We’ve missed more we should have made than they’ve made that they should miss though

honestly I have a small small sliver of hope that once we get past this game. We will be playing a team that will simply prepare for Zach and not sell out with this “nothing to lose” mentality, and when they play their normal game, our normal game is superior. But it’s a sliver at this point

honestly I have a small small sliver of hope that once we get past this game. We will be playing a team that will simply prepare for Zach and not sell out with this “nothing to lose” mentality, and when they play their normal game, our normal game is superior. But it’s a sliver at this point
We do seem to do better against more traditional teams

Reactions: seminolesboilers
I only think this because we are the only 1 or 2 seed that has one obvious part of the offense you can plan for. And it’s easier to plan killing the center than guarding Knect

They are drivers and shot makers mostly. D needs adjustment. Not sure if Trey can sag enough so Zach can move a couple feet closer to shooters. Stop penetration and hit FTs no turnovers

Dozier is killing them on drives.....not sure what's up with Lance Jones - off on both ends of the floor so far, IMO. Boilers need him to get going.

We do seem to do better against more traditional teams
If a team thinks if they play to their own ceiling they have a good chance, that’s good for us. These teams hack us, swarm Edey, and do completely crazy things that throw us off. Should we overcome it? Yes. But teams don’t do this in non con. They try to play their game

This game is about quickness to the mid range, Purdue giving up the midrange with no other strategy and nerves on offense/ free throw line.

Yes Edey missing all these free throws is also an issue. He hits half of them and we are up probably closer to 15. Not amazing but you feel pretty comfortable

Reactions: nime6 and tjreese
Positives:

The whole team doesn’t seem scared
We’ve hit some threes
Their best big has three fouls

Negatives:
Free throws
Defense
Jones
Gillis
Their guard play looks superior as always
Lance and Mason contribute this half should be enough. Where is Lance on the D?

It's almost like he gets shell shocked in this environment. He's tough as nails until this tournament. I hope he wakes up and gets it going.
Indy is close enough to home I was hoping we’d get “I can hit 9 threes in a game” Gillis. Not “black hole on offense tournament” gillis

I’ve wanted to start Gillis all year but he’s not making my want look good

Dozier is killing them on drives.....not sure what's up with Lance Jones - off on both ends of the floor so far, IMO. Boilers need him to get going.
Everybody wants to get theirs in the tourney. Every time zach is in and they don't give him the ball at least once is just ridiculous.

Is there no answer at all defensively for that free throw extended jumper?

Are we just going to give them that the whole game?
Force baseline but then you risk fouls on Zach. Might see that deeper into the half if Zach had no foul trouble

We have 5 TO's. That's acceptable as long as no more than that in 2nd half. Keep feeding Edey and hit FT's and we pull away. That drop coverage defense is getting very tiresome. Wide open 10-12 foot shots are not hard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT