ADVERTISEMENT

Got Grambling on my mind

Good for them. They fought through adversity in their first appearance.

Of course, they are going to get toasted but I like their fortitude.

Yes, could have easily folded when down double digits. Continually took it to the goal......and made FT's down the stretch.

They are going to have to triple team Edey. Just don’t turn it over and hit your threes, Boilers.

Ain't gonna be easy - they have all the makings of a media darling Cinderella
No not really. They can't shoot from three. They make their money inside (not gonna happen) and on transition.

Unless we just shoot like 20 percent from three and play our worst game of the season, this should be relatively easy.

I mean obviously if they beat us that makes them a darling by default but I don't think Grambling FeverTM is sprouting in the next 48 hours.

Talking heads already saying how this will be a tough game for the Boilers…………at least they know they can’t anything for granted. Let’s quiet the noise and roll this team

“They played Iowa st, drake, Florida, blah blah” they got rolled by all. We gotta roll these guys

Talking heads already saying how this will be a tough game for the Boilers…………at least they know they can’t anything for granted. Let’s quite the noise and roll this team

“They played Iowa st, drake, Florida, blah blah” they got rolled by all. We gotta roll these guys
You want people tuning in. You don't get that by saying Purdue romps. If I were there,.I'd try to sell it too.

If wrong, no one remembers, if right, you look like a genius.

Reactions: RossMackey
Talking heads already saying how this will be a tough game for the Boilers…………at least they know they can’t anything for granted. Let’s quiet the noise and roll this team

that Cofer guy had a Heide vs Rutgers type game

Reactions: Abugabby
You want people tuning in. You don't get that by saying Purdue romps. If I were there,.I'd try to sell it too.

If wrong, no one remembers, if right, you look like a genius.
Jay Wright was laughing while saying it. It’s hard to be confident tho, we gotta change that

Jay Wright was laughing while saying it. It’s hard to be confident tho, we gotta change that
I'm confident on round one.

Now, Round 2? That's going to be a tough one we could lose if we don't bring our A game.

The refs were horrible. Hope they don’t travel with the bracket.

They shoot like 33 percent from deep. Only attempted 10 tonight and made 4. They like to drive. Keep Edey where he belongs and make em hit jumpers all night. Have to be careful with the ball they do force turnovers and with nothing to lose im sure there gonna send several bodies at Zach and try to get some takeaways. Hopefully Purdue is hitting shots i see a lot of open looks coming. No excuse to lose this game. They have beaten nobody. Seth Davis already starting with the bad matchup talk. BS. Theres no reason to lose to this team.

No not really. They can't shoot from three. They make their money inside (not gonna happen) and on transition.

Unless we just shoot like 20 percent from three and play our worst game of the season, this should be relatively easy.

I mean obviously if they beat us that makes them a darling by default but I don't think Grambling FeverTM is sprouting in the next 48 hours.
They should win easily. But yes, Purdue is very capable of shooting 20% from three. They shot 40% this year, but in postseason they are shooting 25%.

They should win easily. But yes, Purdue is very capabley of shooting 20% from three. They shot 40% this year, but in postseason they are shooting 25%.
Postseason they are shooting 33%. They should get plenty of clean looks against Grambling St.

Reactions: tjreese
Yes, could have easily folded when down double digits. Continually took it to the goal......and made FT's down the stretch.
Montana had the best player (pg) and more system. Other than shooting some real weaknesses. GRambling-more athletic, shot makers, more one on one play and drivers first. 1&11 key players. Purdue perimeter is probably going to get a lot of open looks and I expect to see a 2-2-1 zone press, but we will see if they bring the pressure or just eat clock. I can see the extra sag on weakside. "shot makers" have almost always been an issue for Purdue since Purdue many times doesn't have that stopper. However, Cam is coming along nicely.

Don't think they can hit enough outside the lane if Purdue packs it...and if they miss they don't press. The refs were bad, but unless they absolutely mug Zach over and over they can't stop him without Purdue getting a lot of good looks. Hope Purdue gets control early and extra minutes are available for Caleb, Ethan and Myles. Would like a lot of the players get in the game and get a bit of a run to get comfortable for the next game.

just remember, fdu should not have been able to stay with us last year. we just need to go out and play our game. cant make silly passes like we did against whisky and our guards need to drive the basket and take mid range shots if 3s are not falling. drive the basket even if 3s are falling. zach needs to hit his free throws as i anticipate lots of fouls

Reactions: Longboat Boiler
Grambling is exactly the type of team that scares me. Hope it doesn't happen, but PU has lost the 1/16 game before and that has to be on everyone's mind.
I look for Purdue to be aggressive with a lot of pent up frustration to release. I can see it on D and hope the shooting is not too hard early, but still have to pack the lane. Mostly, I hope to see a "burst" from Braden as much as anything.

Hope you're right. I'd love to see Loyer go off for about 25.
The coach just mentioned Zach and throwing everything at him. They aren't going to do anything he hasn't seen, but we don't know how they will call it and expect some swarming leaving the perimeter to prove itself. I also look for them to press on makes to help their D by eating clock. Purdue needs to stop penetration and make sure Trey or one of the other three picks up Zach's man if in drop and there is penetration. Zach really struggles against the bounce pass. I don't know their size but expect that Trey and Caleb are as big or bigger if they are doubling Zach for the dump or Mason on the perimeter. They may try to really push the pace to limit Zach's effect, but it they don't score Purdue can at the other end.

This team is not going to get beat by just shutting down Zach a bit or running Purdue off the line. This team has more drivers and scoring in the mid range as well as shooters. This team can beat you different ways and so far a press has not been a real issue, but lackadaisical passing to the other team has. Shot makers have always been a thorn whether Rutgers, Boo or North Texas and UALR because Purdue generally has the skill lean in the past and depended on team D day in and day out. Purdue is just better and if they shut down the inside or outside (I don't think they will), there are enough talents to win without that. If Braden is good to go, this team can go far. If not 100%, then things get tougher IMO.

The coach just mentioned Zach and throwing everything at him. They aren't going to do anything he hasn't seen, but we don't know how they will call it and expect some swarming leaving the perimeter to prove itself. I also look for them to press on makes to help their D by eating clock. Purdue needs to stop penetration and make sure Trey or one of the other three picks up Zach's man if in drop and there is penetration. Zach really struggles against the bounce pass. I don't know their size but expect that Trey and Caleb are as big or bigger if they are doubling Zach for the dump or Mason on the perimeter. They may try to really push the pace to limit Zach's effect, but it they don't score Purdue can at the other end.

This team is not going to get beat by just shutting down Zach a bit or running Purdue off the line. This team has more drivers and scoring in the mid range as well as shooters. This team can beat you different ways and so far a press has not been a real issue, but lackadaisical passing to the other team has. Shot makers have always been a thorn whether Rutgers, Boo or North Texas and UALR because Purdue generally has the skill lean in the past and depended on team D day in and day out. Purdue is just better and if they shut down the inside or outside (I don't think they will), there are enough talents to win without that. If Braden is good to go, this team can go far. If not 100%, then things get tougher.
I agree. But I wonder. Gamesmanship, perhaps? Announce that you are going to throw everything at Zach while in fact preparing to let him get his while shutting down everyone else?

I wouldn't truthfully announce my strategy, if I was the underdog head coach..

I agree. But I wonder. Gamesmanship, perhaps? Announce that you are going to throw everything at Zach while in fact preparing to let him get his while shutting down everyone else?

I wouldn't truthfully announce my strategy, if I was the underdog head coach..
He didn't know he would be in that spot as the game was in question until a couple of minutes were left and knew about Zach and just complimented him.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT