ADVERTISEMENT

goaltending

are people on here actually saying that wasn't goaltending. What planet is this?
According to CMP and Cliz after the game, it wasn't. You can touch the net and rim as long as the ball is not on it. The officials were bad both ways. They should not try to make themselves the deciding factor in a game, which they tried to do tonight. Way to many bogus calls, but they were each side.

Reactions: BoilerFan#35
A technical foul is "Placing a hand(s) on the backboard or ring to gain an advantage."

What AJ did was neither goaltending or basket interference by the rule book.

Does this mean anything? http://g-macsports.com/custompages/Governance/NCAArulebooks/Basketball_Mens_Rule_Book_2013-2015.pdf not sure why I did that? nothing changes...game over. Purdue might and might not have scored with 7 seconds pushing the ball in a frenzy. Lot of calls and plays that people can point to in that game. I do knwo that if Purdue were to tie the game they win in OT as teh MO had totally switched. It is over...perhaps the players get a rematch to prove it was or was not a fluke...and if not, it is still over.

Purdue got their asses waxed. And it was so damn enjoyable to watch. You guys might make the NIT. I'd say you are on the bubble.

tjreese beat me to it. Touching the rim is not a violation in and of itself. From the NCAA rulebook,

Rule 9, Section 17, article 2a

"Basket interference occurs when a player:
1. Touches the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket;
2. Touches the ball while any part of it is within the cylinder that has the ring as its lower base;
3. Reaches through the basket from below and touches the ball before it enters the cylinder; or
4. Pulls down a movable ring so that it contacts the ball before the ring returns to its original position.
5. Causes the basket or backboard to vibrate when the ball is on or within the basket or the backboard and/or is on or in the cylinder."

AJ touched the rim, but he then blocked the ball before it contacted the rim/backboard/imaginary cylinder above the rim & before it began it's downward descent. By the definition of the rule, I don't believe it was basket interference. It's a bang-bang play that is tough for the refs to make (I certainly don't blame the loss on the call), but I also think they got it wrong.

Wasn't there a lane violation that wasn't called? CMP and Valentine got into it during the FT..........
PU knows the rules...........IU breaks them. Seems like old times.....

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
tjreese beat me to it. Touching the rim is not a violation in and of itself. From the NCAA rulebook,

Rule 9, Section 17, article 2a

"Basket interference occurs when a player:
1. Touches the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket;
2. Touches the ball while any part of it is within the cylinder that has the ring as its lower base;
3. Reaches through the basket from below and touches the ball before it enters the cylinder; or
4. Pulls down a movable ring so that it contacts the ball before the ring returns to its original position.
5. Causes the basket or backboard to vibrate when the ball is on or within the basket or the backboard and/or is on or in the cylinder."

AJ touched the rim, but he then blocked the ball before it contacted the rim/backboard/imaginary cylinder above the rim & before it began it's downward descent. By the definition of the rule, I don't believe it was basket interference. It's a bang-bang play that is tough for the refs to make (I certainly don't blame the loss on the call), but I also think they got it wrong.
Another reason I hate replay. If you are going to have it, why not use it to get a call correct that affects the outcome in the last 10 seconds. I would rather see them get rid of it if they are not going to use it correctly.

Actually it does.

clear rules on uniform and how you must be dressed.

Boilers, just keep in mind what you are dealing with here. It's the obsessing trailer trash side of their fanbase, all liquored up. It doesn't do any good to show them the rules. Too many multi-syllable words.

Reactions: PU pit bull
Another reason I hate replay. If you are going to have it, why not use it to get a call correct that affects the outcome in the last 10 seconds. I would rather see them get rid of it if they are not going to use it correctly.

Ironically, basket interference & goaltending are explicitly called out in the rulebook as examples of judgement calls that can not be reviewed.

Purdue gets beat by 4 at IU , when Purdue had a bad game, IU played out their IU, I mean ass, and some IU little boys are bragging, kind of says it all, well its probably past their bedtime now

Remember when OG stuffed that dunk all up in that guys face. And when Troy threw one on haas head??

I sure do. Iu just stuffed Purdue in a locker tonight

You guys just don't understand the taste of victory. You never will. Honestly you should see if you can borrow a banner or two for a week of practice. Show it to the players, use it for motivation. Poor university doesn't know what they look like. Seriously it would have to help. It just sucks that our rival is a bunch of zero banner pussies. I want a duke Carolina rivalry.

Ironically, basket interference & goaltending are explicitly called out in the rulebook as examples of judgement calls that can not be reviewed.
even if it was a judgement call, which I don't think it is it should be reviewed.

Purdue gets beat by 4 at IU , when Purdue had a bad game, IU played out their IU, I mean ass, and some IU little boys are bragging, kind of says it all, well its probably past their bedtime now

Iu hits shots bub. I know watching Purdue games you start to think no one can hit anything. Just another clinic by iu.

Actually Purdue shot much better than their typical percentages

Shooting nearly 60% from the field is a bad night? Wow I'd hate to see you guys shoot it well.

I guess what it boils down to is this win was IU's biggest win all year...........thanks to a BS call though

You guys just don't understand the taste of victory. You never will. Honestly you should see if you can borrow a banner or two for a week of practice. Show it to the players, use it for motivation. Poor university doesn't know what they look like. Seriously it would have to help. It just sucks that our rival is a bunch of zero banner pussies. I want a duke Carolina rivalry.

The Reagan administration days are long over. Hell the coach who won 3 of those doesnt even like you guys any more. Hell he has been to Purdue more often.

IU the Al Bundy of basketball

Reactions: *4purdue*
Not going to come in here and eat crow because the refs stole the game from us. The goal-tending call was totally bogus. Cliz had it right, he's seen 40 years worth of games, he should know. No crow, we got homered.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT