ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread - 3/3/22 vs Michigan State in BTT in Indy (11:30am on BTN)

Going forward, if healthy Kyle, Terry, Ellis, Layden are 4 starters for next year. Woltman and Hardin should be solid back up performers. Girls like Smith, Learn and the Frosh will have opportunities to step up. Still hope a good transfer comes in to take the 2/3 spot in the lineup. Either way, fun team to watch that still has a way to go, no reason that they can’t win 18-20 games next season making the big dance. Can’t play 5 guards and expect to get rebounds, not sure what Coach’s mindset was down the stretch.

Reactions: DocRon
Had to work today and couldn’t follow the game. Just logged on hoping see a pleasant surprise win. Sounds like a similar game to recent ones. Disappointing loss apparently based on the thread and comments. Shoot.
fingers crossed for NIT…. Appears Moore did not have a good game?

She did not, shot a lot and missed everything, but that has not always been true. She was one of many who missed layups.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
If the team is now done for the season, they exceeded expectations imho. 16-14 with what was left talent-wise for Katie and this being her first Division 1 coaching job, it's been a good first year for her. Wish they had a top 10 nationally ranked talent coming in, a Katie Douglas, or a Stephanie White, but that level of talent will come to Purdue under Katie's leadership sooner rather than later imho. Gotta keep Kyle healthy next season and Smith needs to keep developing and becoming the star that Katie keeps saying that she can be. October will be here before we know it, until then the offseason is always interesting to see who stays, who leaves, what the transfer portal brings, etc. At least we know now that Purdue has found its head coach for the next 20+ years.

Reactions: Russ Ford
Agree with the positive assessment despite the weak season ending ( maybe NIT redeems tho?) because we all like the style and hustle of this team and KG's positive attitude. But the To's were more than troublesome down the stretch and cost us the last two games. Those have to be reined in or the talent doesn't matter that much. Also, which is likely if Kyle is true to form, we have to have a competitive front line on O And D. This will be a veteran team which truly is a boon. They certainly should have a better season but probably are not ready to challenge for the BTT title yet.

Potts will help next year need to check her out a Gim Rat and Stoddard is 6' 4" and jump very well should be able to help also.
I also am interested in seeing what Skye Williams can do. She was rated even higher than Smith in this year's recruiting class but obviously never saw the court due to injury. I don't know the details regarding her injury but hopefully it's something she will be over and at 100% soon so she can start preparing for next year.

In looking at yesterday’s box score, a couple stats caught my eye - RW with only 1 rebound, and Ava with 5 fouls in less than 5 minutes?? Is that true? My gosh

Even with these abysmal stats, it sounds like the missed bunnies and turnovers were the main culprits. I really really hope they get a bid to the NIT - would like to see them get one more chance to play together - and for Brooke Moore to go out on a better note than 0-fer …. I was shocked she had zero points yesterday

Woltman showed promise yesterday but was a victim of some ticky tac fouls and she missed easy shots for some reason. As for rebounds, she was there but just couldn’t control, she’ll be a nice player of the bench next year, maybe she starts at the 4 spot, we’ll see. Learn isn’t a Center, she was playing out of position, another bench/role player next year. Need another go to scorer, I hope one transfers in.

Just fyi, fans, but we came within one ft of beating Indiana and gave them a good battle the second time. The Hoosiers just beat mighty Maryland fairly handily and that means we don't have a truly dominant BT team nationally so we are in the mix, hopefully helping bring the BT back to national status. Unlike towards the Indiana men's team I don't harbor ill feelings (but I think saying IU sucks in pathetic even if it is fun :)_ for the women, but see them as more of an encouragement that a bottom feeder program can rise to prominence and they are coached by a Boiler alum. So rooting for them in the tournament.
P.S. Probably to avoid firing, the Illini coach Fahey retired. Really as bad as can be. Illinois is in the midwest and the right coach could turn them around but they are really, really bad and have a longer way to go than I think anyone. Even if a new coach brought in some talent, it would take I think quite a while to turn that ship around. Our Ms. Terry is one of the perks of that mess.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Just fyi, fans, but we came within one ft of beating Indiana and gave them a good battle the second time. The Hoosiers just beat mighty Maryland fairly handily and that means we don't have a truly dominant BT team nationally so we are in the mix, hopefully helping bring the BT back to national status. Unlike towards the Indiana men's team I don't harbor ill feelings (but I think saying IU sucks in pathetic even if it is fun :)_ for the women, but see them as more of an encouragement that a bottom feeder program can rise to prominence and they are coached by a Boiler alum. So rooting for them in the tournament.
P.S. Probably to avoid firing, the Illini coach Fahey retired. Really as bad as can be. Illinois is in the midwest and the right coach could turn them around but they are really, really bad and have a longer way to go than I think anyone. Even if a new coach brought in some talent, it would take I think quite a while to turn that ship around. Our Ms. Terry is one of the perks of that mess.
I can’t bring myself to root against the IU women either. The fact they’re coached by a Boiler alum is a big part of it. I like their players and hope they win the BTT and go deep in the NCAA. And hoping for that NIT bid for our gals.

FWIW, I think the obsession (on the men’s board) with the “IU sucks” chant and the continued misspelling of Indinia is lame. It was funny at first but is wearing thin for me. IU (men’s BB and FB) should just be ignored - as they say, the opposite of love is not hate, it’s indifference. Continuing to “acknowledge “ them with derogatory threads and “curse titles” and such is wasted energy. Ok, nuff ranting on that - been wanting to get that off my chest for a while now. 😊.

This board is much more civil and fun. Thank to all who make it that way here. Boiler Up!

I do like that pretty much the whole team, especially the starters, have said they are "all in" for next season. Kyle was one of them. That's a good sign to see - hopefully this offseason is a lot less eventful than last offseason. Hopefully the only news we see will be players committing to join the train!

Agree with the positive assessment despite the weak season ending ( maybe NIT redeems tho?) because we all like the style and hustle of this team and KG's positive attitude. But the To's were more than troublesome down the stretch and cost us the last two games. Those have to be reined in or the talent doesn't matter that much. Also, which is likely if Kyle is true to form, we have to have a competitive front line on O And D. This will be a veteran team which truly is a boon. They certainly should have a better season but probably are not ready to challenge for the BTT title yet.
Some of those committing turnovers down the stretch won't be playing next season or as many minutes. And it was at the end of the season, with nothing really for this team to play for. I'm giving them a pass for the turnovers. This is not the same team that Katie will roll out next season. The returnees will be a year older, etc. Yes they do need to work on ball handling, etc and I trust Katie will emphasize that in summer workouts and when practice starts again in the Fall. They're 2-3 years away yet from challenging for a BTT title. This will take some time, and we have to be patient. If this team suffers significant injuries next season, they may not even have as good a record as this season, 16-14 given the circumstances is pretty remarkable really. But they don't have a superstar recruit coming in or an All Big Ten player on the roster yet, so this will take some time. Recruiting needs to continually get better and the talent level needs to keep improving. Long way to go!

Last edited:
Woltman showed promise yesterday but was a victim of some ticky tac fouls and she missed easy shots for some reason. As for rebounds, she was there but just couldn’t control, she’ll be a nice player of the bench next year, maybe she starts at the 4 spot, we’ll see. Learn isn’t a Center, she was playing out of position, another bench/role player next year. Need another go to scorer, I hope one transfers in.
That's the one thing about basketball at any level. if you have that go-to scorer, who can create their own shot and has a scoring mentality and can beat their defenders off the dribble and score almost at will and anytime your team needs points, that team is likely to be successful. It's a pretty obvious observation, but it's so true, and this team really doesn't have that yet. If they did, she would be an All-Big Ten player and they don't have that one person on the roster yet. A Katie Gearlds, a Stephanie White, a Carson Edwards, a Jaden Ivey type talent but at the WBB level. That's what separates good teams from 16-14 teams. Hoping it can be Smith at some point. And Katie hopefully can find someone like that in the transfer portal this offseason, but the odds of finding that in the portal are slim, so it has to come from recruiting HS prosects. That's why this may take some time for Katie to get this team back to the days when this program was contending for a Big Ten title year after year and won a NC. It will take some time.

Some of those committing turnovers down the stretch won't be playing next season or as many minutes. And it was at the end of the season, with nothing really for this team to play for. I'm giving them a pass for the turnovers. This is not the same team that Katie will roll out next season. The returnees will be a year older, etc. Yes they do need to work on ball handling, etc and I trust Katie will emphasize that in summer workouts and when practice starts again in the Fall. They're 2-3 years away yet from challenging for a BTT title. This will take some time, and we have to be patient. If this team suffers significant injuries next season, they may not even have as good a record as this season, 16-14 given the circumstances is pretty remarkable really. But they don't have a superstar recruit coming in or an All Big Ten player on the roster yet, so this will take some time. Recruiting needs to continually get better and the talent level needs to keep improving. Long way to go!
If healthy and maybe with an addition from a transfer I see a 18-20 win season next year, granted that depends on health. Ellis, Terry, Layden, and probably Kyle are day 1 starters, add a scorer to this and it’s a solid team, maybe it’s Smith, maybe it’s Potts, maybe a portal transfer. I do think Woltman and Hardin since she’s likely returning will be nice bench 7th/8th men type of players that every team needs.

A layup is 2 points and I think we had 18 layup attempts and we only made 6 that is a disgrace should not of happened, make a few of those missed layups different out come . Boiler Up

A layup is 2 points and I think we had 18 layup attempts and we only made 6 that is a disgrace should not of happened, make a few of those missed layups different out come . Boiler Up
Speaks of a lack of good, skilled post players on this team... that's why it's so important to have a healthy Kyle in 2022-23. And also, that's just a fundamental thing they need to work on during the offseason, that can't happen in a BTT game and expect to win.

They still have a stark lack of offensive talent on this team. It will improve. Or Katie will eventually be fired. But I have faith that her recruiting will get better and better and she will recruit great offensive talent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT