ADVERTISEMENT

FYI Les Miles

Oct 1, 2007
I can tell you with 100% certainty, Les is interested in the Purdue Job. A little inside info from the Michigan side of things. He's going to be 63 and isn't going to wait for the perfect opportunity. It's up to your AD if you want him.

We are 5 to 10 years out to being mediocre. I just don't think les is enough to flip our situation

I can tell you with 100% certainty, Les is interested in the Purdue Job. A little inside info from the Michigan side of things. He's going to be 63 and isn't going to wait for the perfect opportunity. It's up to your AD if you want him.
Les wouldn't be my first choice, but definitely an improvement over the current clown show.

He can't bring cam Cameron with him tho, that would be a deal breaker.

Hard Pass.

Ran off a good DC to TAMU. Ran their offense into the ground with the help ofCam Cameron.

Would be Shoop 2.0

No wrong again,ESPN reported after he was fired that Purdue was one of the 5 coaching jobs he would turn down.

Running off John Chavis? He did it.

He did it when their offense was struggling to put up any points and they were losing games in the teens to very good SEC offenses.

Running off John Chavis? He did it.

He did it when their offense was struggling to put up any points and they were losing games in the teens to very good SEC offenses.
Not in my top 10 of choices, but I do think he would be able to restock our mess of a roster. And he can't be dumb enough to try ground and pound at Purdue

Not in my top 10 of choices, but I do think he would be able to restock our mess of a roster. And he can't be dumb enough to try ground and pound at Purdue

You'd think....

I don't think 63 year old Miles has any tricks left in the playbook though. He's most likely hire Cam back....you know, those Indiana ties and all.

While he would recruit better than our current coach I think we could hire better recruiters. LSU isn't a tough job to recruit to. Louisiana is a top 10 talent state and kids grow up a major fan of your program. Shoot, I think just the Baton Rouge area itself could be a top 30 talent state on its own.

Agree with the tweets above. Terrible offense and while he can recruit a bit...I think we'd find ot very quickly that he USED to be a great recruiter.

I think he should be option G.

We would be fortunate to get either Les Miles or Charlie Strong. Young up and comers like PJ Fleck won't touch this job, which will leave us with a very poor candidate pool - I don't think most Purdue fans are realizing this. If Miles won't commit to a new offensive system/coordinator, then just wait for Strong at the end of the season.

Reactions: Redhotfill
We would be fortunate to get either Les Miles or Charlie Strong. Young up and comers like PJ Fleck won't touch this job, which will leave us with a very poor candidate pool - I don't think most Purdue fans are realizing this. If Miles won't commit to a new offensive system/coordinator, then just wait for Strong at the end of the season.

I think you guys could make a savvier hire than either of those two.

To get Fleck, it will more than likely need to be a guaranteed contract of 6 years and 2.5-3 million a year plus a huge improvement in assistant salaries as well. The BOT and AD needs to realize it is going to take continuity of a good staff to get this turned around.

I think you guys could make a savvier hire than either of those two.

Didn't you just suggest Chris Creighton at Eastern Michigan - he has spent most of his career at Wabash College, no P5 experience. You telling me you would turn down two coaches that have coaches in BCS bowl games for a guy like that?? Unfortunately I think many on this board would agree with you.

Agree with the tweets above. Terrible offense and while he can recruit a bit...I think we'd find ot very quickly that he USED to be a great recruiter.

I think he should be option G.

Certainly not my first choice, but perhaps they could pair him up with New Palestine head coach as the offensive coordinator and potential head coach in waiting. Could be a complete disaster or could be the next art briles.
http://www.maxpreps.com/m/team/sche...schoolid=25348cb3-095e-4007-82ae-938da047b7a2

To get Fleck, it will more than likely need to be a guaranteed contract of 6 years and 2.5-3 million a year plus a huge improvement in assistant salaries as well. The BOT and AD needs to realize it is going to take continuity of a good staff to get this turned around.

That assumes all Fleck wants is money - he will be able to get the same money but better resources, facilities, and fan support elsewhere. He will have plenty of options and he is no dummy.

Didn't you just suggest Chris Creighton at Eastern Michigan - he has spent most of his career at Wabash College, no P5 experience. You telling me you would turn down two coaches that have coaches in BCS bowl games for a guy like that?? Unfortunately I think many on this board would agree with you.

Les Miles is basically an older Tommy Tuberville (Tuberville was 56 when he was hired at Texas Tech).

Les Miles is basically an older Tommy Tuberville (Tuberville was 56 when he was hired at Texas Tech).

Tuberville has played in 13 bowls in the last 16 seasons. Do you watch Purdue football? He would clearly be a big upgrade. Not sure I follow your point.

Any successful up-and-coming head coach with an impressive sample size (i.e. no Matt Rhule). Chris Creighton or Willie Fritz would be my top two recommendations.

You are proving my point. We will likely be choosing from unproven, uninspired choices like these two if we don't have the good sense to take advantage of the opportunity to hire nationally proven coaches like Miles or Strong. When will Purdue football get another opportunity to hire another national type coach? - we can always hire MAC coaches.

Would be a huge mistake, but ok.

He would build your Lines back to big 10 caliber and a solid defense...Would recruit well

Our fans are more concerned about having a pass happy offense because we've had a few good quarterbacks over the past 50 years.

There's a reason why pretty much every team to have sustained success in the Big Ten hasn't concentrated on flashy offense and instead on solid lines and defense. And quite frankly, most of our best teams under Tiller also were our less-flashy ones.

I think the one drawback to Les is that Purdue's simply not going to be a quick turnaround. Purdue has a severe deficiency in talent and depth - something you can't fix overnight. That being said, you get a coach and a staff that knows what they are doing - it doesn't take THAT much to get to 6 wins. But to get to being competitive in the Big Ten isn't a 2-3 year thing in most cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cevol03
Our fans are more concerned about having a pass happy offense because we've had a few good quarterbacks over the past 50 years.

There's a reason why pretty much every team to have sustained success in the Big Ten hasn't concentrated on flashy offense and instead on solid lines and defense. And quite frankly, most of our best teams under Tiller also were our less-flashy ones.

I think the one drawback to Les is that Purdue's simply not going to be a quick turnaround. Purdue has a severe deficiency in talent and depth - something you can't fix overnight. That being said, you get a coach and a staff that knows what they are doing - it doesn't take THAT much to get to 6 wins. But to get to being competitive in the Big Ten isn't a 2-3 year thing.
Plus he doesn`t need the money.His buy out will keep him in beer money for the next 20 years

Completely disagree with this. A good coach would have this team in a bowl in his first year or two.

While I agree that we aren't 10 years out, it's totally dependent on schedule. This year's Purdue schedule? Absolutely. But our schedule is not hard at all (at least thus far).

I think a good coach can turn things around in 2-3 years. However, that's with a solid coaching staff who can actually recruit. Easier said than done when you come into a program like Purdue's. Looking at Maryland - their recruiting has changed in a positive way significantly very quickly. If that sustains and they maintain their coaching staff, they can be competitive in the Big Ten in 2-3 years.

But that's more the exception than the rule when you have programs like Maryland, Purdue, etc.

Tuberville has played in 13 bowls in the last 16 seasons. Do you watch Purdue football? He would clearly be a big upgrade. Not sure I follow your point.

Look at the quality of programs that Tuberville inherited at Texas Tech and Cincinnati. Mike Leach went 47-33 in the Big 12; Tuberville went 9-17. Cincinnati went just 7-6 in his third year and now they're just awful in his fourth year.

You are proving my point. We will likely be choosing from unproven, uninspired choices like these two if we don't have the good sense to take advantage of the opportunity to hire nationally proven coaches like Miles or Strong. When will Purdue football get another opportunity to hire another national type coach? - we can always hire MAC coaches.

You could always hire a Darrell Hazzell, but you don't often get to hire MAC coaches with the resume of a Jerry Kill, Brian Kelly, or Chris Creighton, guys who have proved themselves over a long period of time.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Fleck will likely be highly sought this winter and Purdue will be nowhere near the top of the job openings.

I'm glad most on here are leery of miles.

We'd have to pay top money for his name, and I think an up coming coach would be hungrier and want to prove himself more.

Granted, anyone is better than we have now.

The more fleck kept winning, the more pessimistic I am about him coming here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT