ADVERTISEMENT

for all those wondering about next year's PG....

Noodle

All-American
Jun 19, 2001
why not move Mathias to the point? He is a solid ball handler, and purportedly has the highest "basketball IQ" of anyone on the team. He also played the point in high school, with darn good stats.

Originally posted by Noodle:

why not move Mathias to the point? He is a solid ball handler, and purportedly has the highest "basketball IQ" of anyone on the team. He also played the point in high school, with darn good stats.
I love this idea. Would be a lot like Hummel in that regard and I think he can do it just fine.

Dakota has proven himself a lot more capable than most thought at the start of the year. Gonna be a good one for the next 3 years. Bryson apparently has lost ground. PJT looks capable as well with seasoning.

Originally posted by SIBoiler2:

Dakota has proven himself a lot more capable than most thought at the start of the year. Gonna be a good one for the next 3 years. Bryson apparently has lost ground. PJT looks capable as well with seasoning.
Bryson has lost ground and as much as I hate to see him go (and feed the transfer rumor), I wouldn't blame him for wanting to go elsewhere if he could play more.

Then again, Bryson could put in the work in the offseason and shock the world next season. That wouldn't shock me one bit.

Mathias and Cline starting backcourt? Lots of height, smartness, scoring threats and slowness. Might work.

I think Vince and Cline are capable of running some point, GW will be decent and PJ has the potential to be a solid game manager.

The one side of this that would be the problem would be defensively. Don't get me wrong, PJ isn't a shutdown defensive player, but Mathias I don't think can guard the pg position. Offensively I would definitely like to see this. Next year we will be interesting, if Hammons returns this will probably be the best 2-5 painter has ever had. Will there be solid enough pg guard play to make this an elite team? That's the burning question. Scott appears to work hard enough and PJ has potential, can they give enough so that they don't lose games? I think the three point shooting will be a ton better next year, who will be out pg is a bigger issue.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Mathias, PJ or Scott could play point in running the offense, but I don't think they currently have the skill set to be a primary ball handler when opponents use a full court press. One of those three could make off season improvements, or CMP could catch lighting in a bottle again with another graduate transfer (though I honestly don't know what the scholarship situation looks like)....or best case, both of those things would happen.

I think you'd need to switch a lot on D.

I think that Dakota is the early favorite to start at PG. I think that Stephens gets back into the starting line-up, along with Davis, Edwards, and Hammons (or Haas if AJ goes pro).

That said, I think that PJ will be a solid rotation player next season.

Dakota, Vince, Cline playing the point -- Really, guys?

Just because Dakota looked OK bringing up the ball against Cincy's SF doesn't make him a point guard. Did you guys see how their PG was guarding Octeus? Do you think Dakota can beat that pressure? Has anyone seen Dakota run a pick and roll or drive to the basket in traffic? Can Dakota pressure the ball or defend the opponents' PGs? Last night defensively he got subbed out for Thompson who is a bad defender himself.

Painter will not try to fit a square peg into a round hole (unless, of course, that hole is PF and the square peg is a 6-5 guard). Dakota is not playing PG next year and we have an immediate need. PJ is nowhere close to being an above average B1G guard and Bryson is most likely gone.

If Dakota is the point guard, that doesn't mean he has to guard the opposing point guard, unless there is some new rule taking effect next year.

Originally posted by anythingbutIU:

If Dakota is the point guard, that doesn't mean he has to guard the opposing point guard, unless there is some new rule taking effect next year.
Then who is going to guard the opposing PG? Are you going to have Kendall do it? Are you going to have PJ as a 2-guard in the game? One of the incoming freshmen?

Dakota is not playing PG.

Originally posted by boiler_pride:

Originally posted by anythingbutIU:

Then who is going to guard the opposing PG? Are you going to have Kendall do it? Are you going to have PJ as a 2-guard in the game? One of the incoming freshmen?

Dakota is not playing PG.
This. No chance.

not saying he is our PG, but his last couple of games had some really nice passes. The lob from behind the arc to Hammons against PSU and that nifty pass on the money to Hammons in the lane for the flush.

I wonder more about the return of Hammons and what happens with Scott. With the lack of perimeter shooting and loss of AJ, things could potentially get ugly. Even if Haas drastically improves, he has no legit backup. Foul trouble and needed rest means little threat down low and less options for shooters......who already seem major streaky. If Scott can get out of the doghouse and not transfer, could be very valuable. I personally don't care much for the way this has played out and think it's very possible he's gone. If he and AJ leave...the team will not improve. JMHO.

For those of you that say Mathias is too slow:

1. it is about moving his feet and angles, so he could learn to make up for any perceived slowness.

2. just because he plays the 1-spot on offense does not mean he has to on defense. He could guard the other teams 3 point threat while someone else guards the point.

3. the team basically switched everything this year on defense so it was never one guy defending one guy. If a pg does blow by him Hammons defends the rim and Mathias rolls down to defend the drop off past to the post, they did that a lot this year. Octeus is athletic but it is not like he was the fastest guy on the Purdue team this year.

The pool of PG options as I see are:
Scott, Thompson, Weatherford, Mathias, Davis.
Nothing about the way Edwards plays screams he has the ball handling and passing skills, while good for a wing, to be a starting pg

This post was edited on 3/21 12:12 PM by Grad2009DPT

Lol! While we're at it lets put pj at the 5 and use Hammons as our 2! ZERO chance Mathias is our pg. He would be a huge liability defensively and offensively has no where near the skill of a legit bigten point. I just hope Painter can find a solid transfer because pj is still below average and bryson apperas to want out. Either way without a legit point we should still be a top half big ten team as long as aj returns, still don't like that it's such a big weakness next year barring changes.

I think the coaching staff is still recruiting sophomore Benji Bell, the 6'3 starting PG for NW Florida State JC:

http://www.nwfraiders.com/sports/mbkb/2014-15/bios/bell_benji_zmi6[/URL]

They are going to play in the NJCAA Division I national title game tonight. His older brother, Dante Anderson, was a standout HS player in Gainesville, Florida that tragically died in a car accident after his junior season in May 2007. I think he plays for him as much as he plays for himself and the rest of his family.

He needs to make his free-throws at a better clip (the game against Cincy was a perfect example why he would need to do that for the Boilers), but if he can, I think he might be an impact player if he chose Purdue (scholarships? would Weatherford want to play football if offered?). Here's his stats:

This post was edited on 3/21 2:49 PM by nagemj02

JC PG Benji Bell stats

Barring a new addition, I don't think that Mathias is far fetched at all. His handles and passing are better than Scott's and probably better than PJ's. His D is greatly improved and (assuming a switching D) he might be as good defensively as PJ. I also think that Davis could guard the point guard position.

Somebody has to start at point guard and no option, at this point, is without questions.

For anyone interested, here is a link to the NJCAA DI title game (currently in progress) featuring NW Florida St. and Purdue PG prospect Benji Bell. He's already made three 3PT's and has 13 points in the first 7 minutes of action:

This post was edited on 3/21 8:20 PM by nagemj02

NW Florida State in white

I do not know what is Bryson Scott is thinking or going to do over the next 6 months. I do have to laugh at how many people on this board can say with conviction what he is thinking and planning on doing at all times though. so laughable.

From what I read, Bell seems like a good fit and a realistic possibility. He's more of a combo guard than a pure point guard, but then so was Octeus. Somebody probably would have to leave for him to get offered before Swanigan decides.

Originally posted by Grad2009DPT:
I do not know what is Bryson Scott is thinking or going to do over the next 6 months. I do have to laugh at how many people on this board can say with conviction what he is thinking and planning on doing at all times though. so laughable.
Agree. Scott may not even know himself what he is going to do ... if anything.

I would think that Scott knows he can play defense, and handle the ball, but needs better decision making and to work on outside shot, which he would have to do at another school, so its basically where his heart is as to where he wants to play! I think he can be a really good point guard

Originally posted by BoilerDaddy:
From what I read, Bell seems like a good fit and a realistic possibility. He's more of a combo guard than a pure point guard, but then so was Octeus. Somebody probably would have to leave for him to get offered before Swanigan decides.

I hope the coaches don't wait too long on Swanigan, only to miss out on other potential additions. CMP has whiffed on EVERY 5-star he's recruited these past 10-11 years: they should have the sense to know that getting him is a longshot.

'15-'16 Scholarships Projection:

1. Davis (Sr.)
2. Hammons (Sr.) (staying?)
3. Scott (Jr.) (staying?)
4. Smotherman (Jr.)
5. Stephens (Jr.)
6. Edwards (So.)
7. Haas (So.)
8. Mathias (So.)
9. Thompson (So.)
10. Taylor (RS Fr.)
11. Cline (Fr.)
12. Weatherford (Fr.)
13. vacant

Thompson and Weatherford were both offered because CMP was afraid that he wouldn't have enough quality play and depth at the PG position in '14-'15 and '15-'16. Maybe Weatherford would still consider football if Coach Hazell and his staff talked to him. They do need help at the receiver positions (I think that's what he played). That would open up at least two scholarships.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT