ADVERTISEMENT

Five CBs just came in for Maliq Carr

It's probably been talked about before, but 247 lists him as a TE. I guess with his size that makes sense but he'll probably be some kind of hybrid, splitting out wide at times. I do laugh at how 247 lists us with 10 TEs on the roster, including Terry Wright and Rondale Moore, but not including Brycen Hopkins. LOL

Reactions: Boilermaker24
I see Rivals has him scheduled for an on campus visit for 9/13/19. Does anyone know of what significance that date has? Seems to be a possible commitment date to me.

I see Rivals has him scheduled for an on campus visit for 9/13/19. Does anyone know of what significance that date has? Seems to be a possible commitment date to me.
He will commit on his birthday in October.

Reactions: tenwest
It's probably been talked about before, but 247 lists him as a TE. I guess with his size that makes sense but he'll probably be some kind of hybrid, splitting out wide at times. I do laugh at how 247 lists us with 10 TEs on the roster, including Terry Wright and Rondale Moore, but not including Brycen Hopkins. LOL

Maliq wants to be a WR and Purdue, among many others, are recruiting him as such.

Seems wild to me that 5 just came in recently and he isn't committing until October 11th

It’s because the other teams who were recruiting him have him at TE (which is what he is). Two teams have stopped communicating with him completely because either they are full at TE or because he wants to play WR. Purdue is telling him he can play what he wants which is important to him.

On Twitter last week he reached out and asked if anybody would help him with a "Commit edit"

Those are the graphics the recruits put up when they commit to a school. Bodes well for us that a few days after he puts that up that we get a whole bunch of CB picks. Maybe he let the cat out of the bag to one of the guys and the rest followed suit.

It's pretty clear to me he wants to come here and play WR.

It’s because the other teams who were recruiting him have him at TE (which is what he is). Two teams have stopped communicating with him completely because either they are full at TE or because he wants to play WR. Purdue is telling him he can play what he wants which is important to him.
Hmmmm, I don't know anymore about this guy other than what I have seen in highlight videos, but in those videos he only lines up outside. From what I read, Jeff Brohm apparently thinks he is a wideout and so does the player himself. But I'm glad you stopped by to let us know he is definitely a TE. I would hate to spread any false information.

On Twitter last week he reached out and asked if anybody would help him with a "Commit edit"

Those are the graphics the recruits put up when they commit to a school. Bodes well for us that a few days after he puts that up that we get a whole bunch of CB picks. Maybe he let the cat out of the bag to one of the guys and the rest followed suit.

It's pretty clear to me he wants to come here and play WR.
I was thinking he tweeted that it wasn’t for him though.

Telling him he can “ play what he wants”? Where did you hear that? It’s not Brohm-like to do that. I think the big issue is whether he will play hoops and football. Don’t think any of our coaches would say “ you tell us where you want to play”. Unless I missed reading that which has been known to happen.

Reactions: Flot
Telling him he can “ play what he wants”? Where did you hear that? It’s not Brohm-like to do that. I think the big issue is whether he will play hoops and football. Don’t think any of our coaches would say “ you tell us where you want to play”. Unless I missed reading that which has been known to happen.
Come on man, you know the only way a recruit would pick Purdue over ND is if ND back off or Brohm made some kind of promise he will regret later. It can't be that the kid actually wants to play for Purdue more than ND.

Lol sure thing bud. Bell>Kiser.

Purdue is telling him what he wants to hear. Kid doesn’t have the speed to play receiver and is nowhere good enough to play B1G level basketball (now will he have the time), but Purdue coaches are telling him he can do all of that

He’ll make a fine tight end though for you guys in a few years.

Purdue is telling him what he wants to hear. Kid doesn’t have the speed to play receiver and is nowhere good enough to play B1G level basketball (now will he have the time), but Purdue coaches are telling him he can do all of that

He’ll make a fine tight end though for you guys in a few years.
Neither Brohm or Painter tell kids what they want to hear. They tell them the truth upfront. I am assuming there is a little envy that Carr is leaning toward Purdue and not your school?

I could see Brohm telling the kid he can play WR, if Brohm believes it. No way I see him saying anything about playing basketball.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Carr has been dominant at every camp he has showed up to against other WRs. He could, in theory make a great DE or TE, but he is already a great WR. One of the best in the nation. Why would you want to change his position? If he thinks he can pass Bell, Wright, Rice as outside WRs then I say bring it. It makes him and the others better.

A certain coach recruited a certain player that wanted to be a WR. The coach told him he was a DB. He went to a certain school down south and had a very good career. Purdue really could have used that players skill at WR. Purdue is stacked at WR, so I can see why some would say move him to TE, but Purdue has two absolute studs coming in at TE that already have the bodies and desire to play the position.

Purdue is telling him he can play wr

He could be used similarly to a tight end in 4-wide sets without being forced to be in a 3point stance on the line.

Sure he's built more like a TE, doesn't mean he can't stand up and have a lot of success. He'll just play very different from a David Bell/Rondale/Milton Wright/etc.

Neither Brohm or Painter tell kids what they want to hear. They tell them the truth upfront. I am assuming there is a little envy that Carr is leaning toward Purdue and not your school?
I agree. Think Brohm would be straight with the kid. No way he signs him in December and then the playbooks are mailed a few weeks later and Brohm says “ oh by the way, you should probably be learning the TE plays”.

New crystal ball pick for Maliq to Purdue. It is coming today from the Michigan Insider. I would say that is a good sign, since until yesterday, Michigan was the team to beat. It is now at 73% Purdue and 27% Michigan.

• Maliq CarrTE / 6-4 / 230 0.8975
  • Sam WebbMichigan Insider
  • (87.50%)7 / 8
  • 4648329.png

6/04/19 12:27PM

New crystal ball pick for Maliq to Purdue. It is coming today from the Michigan Insider. I would say that is a good sign, since until yesterday, Michigan was the team to beat. It is now at 73% Purdue and 27% Michigan.

Did you see Carr’s tweet at Chubba Purdy? Said DM me bro, fresh off of Purdy’s visit. By the way, Purdy is going to be one of the best QBs in college football. If Purdue lands Carr and then Purdy... watch out now.

The marketing gurus are probably already getting started with ideas on how to utilize "Purdy" coming to "Purdue"

You're absolutely wrong about this. Maybe 10 or 20 years ago this was uncommon, but this is pretty much standard in the recruiting game with today's "player's coach" type of HC. Several recruits and Coach Brohm himself have said they never force a position change on a player if they don't want it. They might tell the player where they see them fitting in with their scheme or where the team needs them, but it's up to the player themselves where they practice and play. From there it's up to the coaches to help achieve maximum potential.

Nowadays, with the explosion of transfers and all... forcing a position change on a player who doesn't want it is basically asking for it. A lot of risk from a coaching perspective can be avoided if the player is properly evaluated during the recruiting process.

You let the player fight for the position they want to play. They're going to know pretty quick where they stack up. The smart ones figure out if they want to see the field, they need to change positions (if the talent level above them is too much to overcome). And, as noted with the explosion of transfers, you have the option of opting out for another team.

You're absolutely wrong about this. Maybe 10 or 20 years ago this was uncommon, but this is pretty much standard in the recruiting game with today's "player's coach" type of HC. Several recruits and Coach Brohm himself have said they never force a position change on a player if they don't want it. They might tell the player where they see them fitting in with their scheme or where the team needs them, but it's up to the player themselves where they practice and play. From there it's up to the coaches to help achieve maximum potential.

Nowadays, with the explosion of transfers and all... forcing a position change on a player who doesn't want it is basically asking for it. A lot of risk from a coaching perspective can be avoided if the player is properly evaluated during the recruiting process.
. My point was I don’t think with the value now on every scholarship and how important it is to get right, that coaches are telling kids they can play one position, knowing as soon as they sign, the coach will switch them. That makes unhappy players and develops the coach a bad reputation which hurts in future recruiting. I think u misread my point. My point was Brohm won’t tell him he can play “ what position he wants” (WR) just to sign him , knowing he will switch him to TE. He would be honest and just say, I want you as a TE. If the kid doesn’t want to play TE, we pass and keep looking. I think ur comments are correct though. Our differing opinions are timing related. My point is referencing “while we are recruiting a kid” and your is “ after a kid is on the team” we don’t force a position change.

Last edited:
I would add that in Brohm's offense and with his ingenuity there is a wider range of potential receiver types than in more traditional offenses such as Michigan's, where they rarely go 4 wide. Calling a recruit a receiver until you see exactly how he is going to fit in with the other pieces isn't any different than pursuing Wandale Robinson as a receiver, when his utilization probably would have been around 50% in the backfield. Receiver just means you will be catching passes. You could be slot, wide out, all purpose, h back, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT