ADVERTISEMENT

Final Four

Oh I know Head Coaches are involved, but don't believe Matt is and I am very good with that.
Recruit: “coach, I’m interested to hear what you have in mind for me from an NIL perspective. IU, MSU and Illinois are all presenting me with some pretty attractive packages. I really like you and Purdue, but let’s be honest, this is a business decision and I have to make the best decision for me and my family”

Painter:”I’m sorry, I don’t get involved in anything related to NIL.”

If you believe that’s what’s actually happening, then you have way too much faith.

Again, to the detriment of the program.

It’s also complete BS if you believe HCs aren’t talking to the NIL donors about who needs what. You think they’re acting independently of one another? Come on…..
Are you again suggesting that Purdue should cheat? You can talk to them. Call them and tell them you will pay them what they are worth. It's perfectly legal.

Are you again suggesting that Purdue should cheat? You can talk to them. Call them and tell them you will pay them what they are worth. It's perfectly legal.
Where did I say Purdue should cheat?

If you’re naive enough to believe that the NIL people and the coaching staff aren’t having discussions on who needs what, then I can’t help you.

Reactions: northside100
Where did I say Purdue should cheat?

If you’re naive enough to believe that the NIL people and the coaching staff aren’t having discussions on who needs what, then I can’t help you.
You can't seem to help yourself. Why would you think you can help anyone else?

You can't seem to help yourself. Why would you think you can help anyone else?
I’m sure Painter and the coaching staff are sitting in their offices hoping the alliance comes up with something good for Colvin and Catchings without giving any input.
Yep, that’s how it works.

If he doesn't change

I don't like our chances

This year or next year

Or all future dances
I agree 100%. Purdue basketball needs to be

"guard-oriented" with an athletic center on a

yearly basis like 2010 and 2019 to get back to

the Final Four and win it all. The best players

need to play, too, regardless of experience level.

If Painter can't do this yearly moving forward,

Purdue needs a new coach who will. It is after

all Purdue University. Plenty of coaches would

love to coach here!

Reactions: BoilerDeac
I agree 100%. Purdue basketball needs to be

"guard-oriented" with an athletic center on a

yearly basis like 2010 and 2019 to get back to

the Final Four and win it all. The best players

need to play, too, regardless of experience level.

If Painter can't do this yearly moving forward,

Purdue needs a new coach who will. It is after

all Purdue University. Plenty of coaches would

love to coach here!
You still don’t get it.

Yes!! How much longer do you think the

Purdue board of trustees give Painter?
This has to be a troll attempt with that question but I’ll bite anyway because the answer is so obvious. So long as Painter is consistently making the NCAAT and is competitive in the Big Ten Purdue will keep him as long as he wants to stay. That is simply a fact.

This has to be a troll attempt with that question but I’ll bite anyway because the answer is so obvious. So long as Painter is consistently making the NCAAT and is competitive in the Big Ten Purdue will keep him as long as he wants to stay. That is simply a fact.
Taxes and death are the only facts I know.

What if Painter keeps going down to double

digit seeds when it matters? If he doesn't

make the Elite 8 again by 2025, Gene Keady

will have been a better March Madness coach.

Taxes and death are the only facts I know.

What if Painter keeps going down to double

digit seeds when it matters? If he doesn't

make the Elite 8 again by 2025, Gene Keady

will have been a better March Madness coach.
I’m sorry to hear that there are only two facts that you know.

Your question was how much time will Purdue give Painter. You read my answer, which is factual. Whether you, I or other fans like it is irrelevant.

Reactions: mathboy
I’m sorry to hear that there are only two facts that you know.

Your question was how much time will Purdue give Painter. You read my answer, which is factual. Whether you, I or other fans like it is irrelevant.
Agree with you 100%

I think you're correct, but I'm not sure his leash is as long as we think. If, he continues a downward trend this could/would force an AD to make a move. Especially, if we are continuously in the top 10 in rankings and top 1-5 seeds in the tourney.

I'm assuming his(Bobinski) hands would be tied to make a move as an AD should. I like Painter and want him to succeed to the fullest, but I just don't see the "as long as he wants to stay" theory.

Reactions: collegehoopsfan123
Purdue will win a national championship look at the people coach is bringing in myles Colvin heide and berg when healthy and better a shooter and kanon catchings

I think you're correct, but I'm not sure his leash is as long as we think. If, he continues a downward trend this could/would force an AD to make a move. Especially, if we are continuously in the top 10 in rankings and top 1-5 seeds in the tourney.

I'm assuming his(Bobinski) hands would be tied to make a move as an AD should. I like Painter and want him to succeed to the fullest, but I just don't see the "as long as he wants to stay" theory.
Lol, what 'downward trend'? No school outside of maybe the bluest of blue bloods is going to fire a coach for being ranked in the top ten and underperforming in the NCAAT.

Again, it's irrelevant whether you or I agree with that, it's just not going to happen.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Well, at least you admit you may not like it. I saw

Painter being interviewed on TV this morning about

retirement. He said all the right things about still

wanting to get to the Final Four and win it all, etc.

Purdue fans that want a change can only hope he retires.

Like I said, Painter is about to be worse than Keady in March.
Yeah, I actually don't think Matt would want to stick around if he ever reached the point where he's just making the NCAAT and not competing for conference championships and top seeds.

Agree with your statement that fans who want drastic change in approach are best hoping for him to retire. As you know I vehemently disagree with the view that hiring a new coach is likely to produce better results for Purdue going forward.

Lol, what 'downward trend'? No school outside of maybe the bluest of blue bloods is going to fire a coach for being ranked in the top ten and underperforming in the NCAAT.

Again, it's irrelevant whether you or I agree with that, it's just not going to happen.
Lol.

If you don't see a downward trend while consistently losing to double digit seeds then you are being naive. Most basketball minds have considered our last tourney loss to be the worst in tournament history.

I do agree with it will take a lot for Purdue to fire Painter, but that's just Purdue's nature and have shown this pattern throughout history. You seem to have a pattern with people that don't totally agree with your thoughts. Time will tell and you have zero clue what the AD will or could do.

Last edited:
Yeah, I actually don't think Matt would want to stick around if he ever reached the point where he's just making the NCAAT and not competing for conference championships and top seeds.

Agree with your statement that fans who want drastic change in approach are best hoping for him to retire. As you know I vehemently disagree with the view that hiring a new coach is likely to produce better results for Purdue going forward.
That's an opinion and you seem to be "ok" with not meeting Purdue's tournament projections. Liking Painter and being just "ok" in the tournament doesn't make you a better fan.

Lol.

If you don't see a downward trend while consistently losing to double digit seeds then you are being naive. Most basketball minds have considered our last tourney loss to be the worst in tournament history.

I do agree with it will take a lot for Purdue to fire Painter, but that's just Purdue's nature and have shown this pattern throughout history. You seem to have a pattern with people that don't totally agree with your thoughts. Time will tell and you have zero clue what the AD will or could do.
Just to be clear, your view is that the program is on a downward trend? I just want to make sure I’m not misunderstanding.

Just to be clear, your view is that the program is on a downward trend? I just want to make sure I’m not misunderstanding.
Yes, the perception of Painter coaching in the tournament. This was about Painter and his consistent underwhelming success in the tournament.

Probably a better way to look at this. If Purdue were to fire Painter what choices would Purdue have and what choices would Painter have? I personally think they're on par. So, it tells me the value hasn't increased under Paint vs Keady. We probably get another program coach.

What about another coach like George King

or Lee Rose who can take Purdue to the

Final Four, maybe win it all in 4 years or less?
Those days are long gone. Just like knight winning another title at IU. Programs evolve with time. Paint seems stagnant with his lack of in-game adjustments. He is such a good X&O coach but lacks adjusting to different game plans. Which is frustrating at times.

Yes, the perception of Painter coaching in the tournament. This was about Painter and his consistent underwhelming success in the tournament.

Probably a better way to look at this. If Purdue were to fire Painter what choices would Purdue have and what choices would Painter have? I personally think they're on par. So, it tells me the value hasn't increased under Paint vs Keady. We probably get another program coach.
Sorry, I should have been clearer with my question or I am not understanding your answer. I don’t care about perception (or your perception of perception). I was asking you if you are saying that in aggregate Purdue’s basketball program is in the midst of a ‘downward trend’ or if I’m misinterpreting your statement.

Last edited:

Firing the defending B1G champion coach would turn off most coaches with options.

Sorry, I should have been clearer with my question or I am not understanding your answer. I don’t care about perception (or your perception of perception). I was asking you if you are saying that in aggregate Purdue’s basketball program is in the midst of a ‘downward trend’ or if I’m misinterpreting your statement.
He as in "Painter" has been on downward trend in the tourney. Once again, he has been beaten by double digit teams he was projected to beat in the last 3 tournaments.

"I think you're correct, but I'm not sure his leash is as long as we think. If, he continues a downward trend this could/would force an AD to make a move. Especially, if we are continuously in the top 10 in rankings and top 1-5 seeds in the tourney"

Put your glasses on when reading this post. So, you can understand "he" to answer your question. Also, ask if the possiblity of losing Painters best recruit ever is a consequence of losing early in the tournament.

Also, I didn't give Paint that perception that was earned over and over again. Did you not watch the tournament the last 2 years???

I mean the perception that Painter would lose early was built by national media and talking basketball heads. If you couldn't/didn't want to see that. Well, that is on you.

Reactions: bonefish1
He as in "Painter" has been on downward trend in the tourney. Once again, he has been beaten by double digit teams he was projected to beat in the last 3 tournaments.

"I think you're correct, but I'm not sure his leash is as long as we think. If, he continues a downward trend this could/would force an AD to make a move. Especially, if we are continuously in the top 10 in rankings and top 1-5 seeds in the tourney"

Put your glasses on when reading this post. So, you can understand "he" to answer your question. Also, ask if the possiblity of losing Painters best recruit ever is a consequence of losing early in the tournament.
No need to get snitty with the glasses comment. Your comment could easily be read as Painter's overall performance i.e. the health of the program rather than his tournament performance. I now understand that you're referring to his tournament performance.

I don't really care what your opinion is of whether losing to FDU potentially impacted the Catchings commitment. Nothing personal, I don't care what any fan's opinion is on that because none of us have any idea.

Downward trend? LOL. Just LOL.

Painter is one of the best regular season coaches in the country. Based on expectations he builds up by those regular seasons, he severely underperforms in the tournament. However, he is not going anywhere for now, so let’s see how he melds the new talent coming in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT