ADVERTISEMENT

Final Four

He as in "Painter" has been on downward trend in the tourney. Once again, he has been beaten by double digit teams he was projected to beat in the last 3 tournaments.

"I think you're correct, but I'm not sure his leash is as long as we think. If, he continues a downward trend this could/would force an AD to make a move. Especially, if we are continuously in the top 10 in rankings and top 1-5 seeds in the tourney"

Put your glasses on when reading this post. So, you can understand "he" to answer your question. Also, ask if the possiblity of losing Painters best recruit ever is a consequence of losing early in the tournament.
CMP has made the last 8 NCAA tournaments. What coach got fired for doing that, right after winning their conference?

Also, I didn't give Paint that perception that was earned over and over again. Did you not watch the tournament the last 2 years???

I mean the perception that Painter would lose early was built by national media and talking basketball heads. If you couldn't/didn't want to see that. Well, that is on you.
Why would you care what the talking heads are saying? Half of the guys who cover the NCAAT don't even follow college basketball and almost all of them are just looking for angles to drive ratings.

Reactions: mathboy
As long as Mackey is filled and they make the tourney. I really don’t believe a NC is the ultimate goal.
If you're not careful I'm going to agree with you on something here ;)

I think MP would very much like to make a FF and win a NC and believe that that is his goal. I'm not sure that his plan of how to get there will work, but believe he is earnest when he says that those are his objectives.

I completely agree with you that for anyone above Matt in the athletic department and university, winning a NC would be nice but is not the goal for men's basketball. The goal is to achieve a high enough level of consistent success to maximize revenues without causing any issues for the university or requiring the university to pony up / share additional funds.

Fear of the unknown and not being in control

are 2 things that scare probably all of us to

some extent.
Yes, and that's why humans, for the most part, live small. Fear. Most humans live in very low state of consciousness. Low vibration. Humans are barely evolved.

That's why most of us don't go after our dreams. Instead, we settle in life, in our relationships, jobs, etc. Most of us our slaves and we don't even know who we really are.

Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

Reactions: collegehoopsfan123
CMP has made the last 8 NCAA tournaments. What coach got fired for doing that, right after winning their conference?
Once again, 16, 15 and 13 and a lucky COVID yr. We were double digit favorites in the last 3. I'm not saying he's getting FIRED, but his leash is shorter than many think. " I live in the real world". Well, that's reality

Why would you care what the talking heads are saying? Half of the guys who cover the NCAAT don't even follow college basketball and almost all of them are just looking for angles to drive ratings.
Because that shows the trend of our coach. This affects recruiting and probably the biggest thing "NIL" which is separating programs. Don't fool yourself and think it doesn't matter. You ask the Alliance if it affects the dollar amount. This will delute your programs value in return and will force you to recruit at a lower level.

Most fans realize this has hindered Painter's success. If, we continue to get the good Indiana kid, but let most that are in the top 25 go elsewhere. We shouldn't expect anything less.

Last edited:
No excuse. I just choose to live in the real world.
Then you know 16,15,13 and a missed COVID year is reality.

Hell, most kids just started their recruitment in those years, NIL has become an issue and recruiting is more fluid. He needs to have success in the tournament for those things to change his trend.

The NIL is becoming the biggest tool in recruiting now and if we lose big donors. We will always be "ok" with losing to these seeds. I get it. Some fans accept these defeat's and can move on, but some want better or better results.

Because that shows the trend of our coach. This affects recruiting and probably the biggest thing "NIL" which is separating programs. Don't fool yourself and think it doesn't matter. You ask the Alliance if it affects the dollar amount. This will delute your programs value in return and will force you to recruit at a lower level.

Most fans realize this has hindered Painter's success. If, we continue to get the good Indiana kid, but let most that are in the top 25 go elsewhere. We shouldn't expect anything less.
Got it, I understand from your last few answers who you are and that's helpful. I don't mean that in a condescending way and I think it's great that as a Purdue fan you expect more. I've just not seen you bring any views that aren't reciting the same echo chamber sentiments that are the understandable by product of a frustrated fan base.

Maybe those above Matt can add NC to all

their other goals somehow in the future.
It's possible but I suspect you've got a bit a wait in front of you if you want that to happen. From a university and athletic department perspective Purdue men's basketball is in a sweet spot right now where despite the NCAAT disappointments they're performing at a high level and generating strong cash flows without having to incur any of the costs or risks of a 'go for broke' push at winning a NC.

It's possible that you and others are right in asserting that this is a house of cards that's ready to collapse but in most cases that collapse actually has to occur before radical changes are made.

But you do want a coach with a style that can

make a Final Four run and complete for it all, right?
100%.
And if you've read my posts over the last 3 years, you're fully aware that I've wanted Painter replaced. My point was, for the AD and ath administration, Painter is the safe bet. He puts out a good program, fills Mackey, and makes the tourney. I believe that to them, any tourney success is gravy and winning a NC isn't a priority.

Once again, 16, 15 and 13 and a lucky COVID yr. We were double digit favorites in the last 3. I'm not saying he's getting FIRED, but his leash is shorter than many think. " I live in the real world". Well, that's reality
You didn’t answer the question…

What is the ultimate goal?
My goal is not the same at the athletic administrations goal. I want us to be MSU, where we're a threat to make the FF every year and that's the "Goal 1" on the chalkboard on day 1 of practice. Izzo has earned that reputation. Unfortunately, Painter has now earned the reputation of being the likely upset victim.

Because they help drive the national narrative and perception of a coach/program. You don't think recruits watching the NCAA don't hear what those talking heads are saying about Painter and Purdue and thinking about that?

Reactions: Poprudy
Because they help drive the national narrative and perception of a coach/program. You don't think recruits watching the NCAA don't hear what those talking heads are saying about Painter and Purdue and thinking about that?
If you want to spend your time worrying about how much impact that has feel free ;)

I know that Purdue has been hurt in recruiting by UNC, MSU, etc. by the narrative from those coaches that 'you're not going to make it to a FF or win a NC at Purdue' and that will be problematic until / unless Purdue wins at that level. I have better things to worry about than what impact comments from Candace Parker and Charles Barkley will have on recruits. You probably do too.

Last edited:
Also, I didn't give Paint that perception that was earned over and over again. Did you not watch the tournament the last 2 years???

I mean the perception that Painter would lose early was built by national media and talking basketball heads. If you couldn't/didn't want to see that. Well, that is on you.
2 years ago we were in Sweet 16

Don't give a damn what national media says or thinks.

Who was the last defending P5 conference champion coach who had made the last 8 NCAA tournaments to get fired ?
Who was the last coach to lose to three double-digit seeds in consecutive years, including being just the 2nd coach ever to lose to a 16 seed?

North Texas
St. Peter's
Fairleigh Dickinson

And that's not even mentioning the losses to 11 seed VCU and 12 seed Arkansas Little-Rock.

Got it, I understand from your last few answers who you are and that's helpful. I don't mean that in a condescending way and I think it's great that as a Purdue fan you expect more. I've just not seen you bring any views that aren't reciting the same echo chamber sentiments that are the understandable by product of a frustrated fan base.
Then you haven't seen me post. I've posted many times about our success under Painter, but we haven't seen that transition into tournament success. I know it's a reality shot, but it's reality.

Who was the last coach to lose to three double-digit seeds in consecutive years, including being just the 2nd coach ever to lose to a 16 seed?

North Texas
St. Peter's
Fairleigh Dickinson

And that's not even mentioning the losses to 11 seed VCU and 12 seed Arkansas Little-Rock.
So, no answer?

You aren't paying attention.... already did. You have had the same complaint about NIL. You know this can delute a value in a program? A bad tournament coach will devalue a program.
Who was the last defending P5 conference champion coach who had made the last 8 NCAA tournaments to get fired ?

I'm assuming no one, but it's all relative. I hope you know the answer that you're trying to bait someone into answering. Now, answer my question.

Does his losing trend in the tournament hurt recruiting and NIL money?

You already know the answer, but you're being purposely obtuse and childish.

It's never happened, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't happen.
A pretty narrative driven question, but he's the same poster bashing our NIL money. He doesn't even realize it goes hand-in-hand or just a naive poster.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
For all the "we're just unlucky" guys - the last 2 years we were totally healthy, had NPOY and NBA lottery type guys, and could have gotten to the FF without facing any top 3 seeds.
And didn't. Even. Get. Close.
The proof is in the pudding. 16,15,13 and a lucky COVID yr. 4 years at a 2-3 tournament clip and 2 years our highest ranking ever in program history.

I'm assuming no one, but it's all relative. I hope you know the answer that you're trying to bait someone into answering. Now, answer my question.

Does his losing trend in the tournament hurt recruiting and NIL money?
Went to sweet 16 a year ago. That’s not a losing trend yet.

• Haha
Reactions: johnboiler123
You already know the answer, but you're being purposely obtuse and childish.

It's never happened, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't happen.
So it’s never happened. Wonder why.

Maybe because it’s a dumb idea to pay a coach who just won the B1G and has made 8 NCAAs in a row $16 million to go away?

Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT