ADVERTISEMENT

Final Four

So it’s never happened. Wonder why.

Maybe because it’s a dumb idea to pay a coach who just won the B1G and has made 8 NCAAs in a row $16 million to go away?
But maybe its a foolish idea to pay a coach

such money without making a FF run

first? This is good discussion by the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonefish1
Sweet 16 is a successful tournament result.
It was back in 2009 and 2010 without Hummel

when Painter was just getting started. More is

expected now, little has been shown since other

than 2019. Painter should have made a Final Four

by now after having 18 years to do so. Hope he

can get it done, but I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
It was back in 2009 and 2010 without Hummel

when Painter was just getting started. More is

expected now, little has been shown since other

than 2019. Painter should have made a Final Four

by now after having 18 years to do so. Hope he

can get it done, but I'm not holding my breath.
More is expected by whom? By you? By the fans who think they 'deserve more'?

If so, does anyone besides you care what your expectations are? I'm certainly disappointed with the two first round upsets and will admit that I let my expectations be raised when Purdue performs well in the regular season, but I don't know that anyone aside from UNC, Kansas, etc. has a legitimate reason to 'expect' more than a Sweet Sixteen.

Do I want more? Sure. Do I think that more is possible? Yes. Do I generally feel like I can expect more? Heck no and if I did I'd go root for a blue blood.

Btw, why can't you answer my question.

Does his losing trend in the tournament affect recruiting and NIL money?
No offense, the question doesn't work as worded. The question should be 'how much does losing in the tournament affect recruiting and NIL' and the follow up is 'relative to what'?

I would surmise that most would agree that there's some impact, ranging from minimal to profound, even if in each case Purdue had lost the next tournament game.

If the alternative is that rather than Purdue losing the next game they break through to the Final Four or a NC, the impact would seem to be substantially greater.

If you want to spend your time worrying about how much impact that has feel free ;)

I know that Purdue has been hurt in recruiting by UNC, MSU, etc. by the narrative from those coaches that 'you're not going to make it to a FF or win a NC at Purdue' and that will be problematic until / unless Purdue wins at that level. I have better things to worry about than what impact comments from Candace Parker and Charles Barkley will have on recruits. You probably do too.
Isn’t that the job of the coaches at MSU and UNC: to tell the kid what they need to hear to win the recruiting battle?
Some people whine about this being “negative” recruiting but I’d be doing the same thing if I were competing for the same recruit. And so far, they’re right about Painter.

Purdue looked like the start of a blueblood from 1969 to 1980.

Based on that trajectory, Purdue should have 4 more FFs and

at least 1 NC. That's what many fans think Purdue could easily

be. It is possible no doubt about it.
If Purdue would have recruited NW Indiana alone during that time period, they would have been a few FF's. During that time period, only 1 played for Purdue and 1 played for IU.

With these NW Indiana 1970s players alone, Purdue could have had a dynasty going.
Jim Bradley
Randy Artis
Pete Trgovich
Tim Stoddard
Darnell Adell
Junior Bridgeman
Rich Valavicius (Did play at IU before transferring)
John Randall
Ron Mercer
Carl McPipe
Richard Hudson
Brian Banks
Wallace Bryant
Frank Smith
Drake Morris (Member of Purdue's 1980 FF team)
Clem Murrell
Keith Walker
Thad Garner

• Love
Reactions: collegehoopsfan123

If so, does anyone besides you care what your expectations are? I'm certainly disappointed with the two first round upsets and will admit that I let my expectations be raised when Purdue performs well in the regular season, but I don't know that anyone aside from UNC, Kansas, etc. has a legitimate reason to 'expect' more than a Sweet Sixteen.

Do I want more? Sure. Do I think that more is possible? Yes. Do I generally feel like I can expect more? Heck no and if I did I'd go root for a blue blood.
Why would you not have high expectations? You’re obviously just happy to make the tourney.

Why would you not have high expectations? You’re obviously just happy to make the tourney.
My expectations have zero impact on any actual outcomes, nor, I suspect, do yours.

Does having high expectations help you to feel better? If so great! If not, who are those expectations serving?

If Purdue would have recruited NW Indiana alone during that time period, they would have been a few FF's. During that time period, only 1 played for Purdue and 1 played for IU.

With these NW Indiana 1970s players alone, Purdue could have had a dynasty going.
Jim Bradley
Randy Artis
Pete Trgovich
Tim Stoddard
Darnell Adell
Junior Bridgeman
John Randall
Ron Mercer
Carl McPipe
Richard Hudson
Brian Banks
Wallace Bryant
Frank Smith
Clem Murrell
Keith Walker
Thad Garner
I'm going to legally change my name to Carl McPipe

• Haha
My expectations have zero impact on any actual outcomes, nor, I suspect, do yours.

Does having high expectations help you to feel better? If so great! If not, who are those expectations serving?
You're correct, but if you are a big donor to the NIL Alliance it possibly can.

They're serving the recruiting, NIL and the AD. Expectations shouldn't be limited to what people call "Blue blood" programs. We should have them as well. IMO

Isn’t that the job of the coaches at MSU and UNC: to tell the kid what they need to hear to win the recruiting battle?
Some people whine about this being “negative” recruiting but I’d be doing the same thing if I were competing for the same recruit. And so far, they’re right about Painter.
What they want to hear is how much $$$$ and CMP can’t exactly lie about that. Nor should he.

More is definitely possible, and you should expect more.

Purdue is fully capable of becoming a blue blood with an

administration that allows it to be. Then, hire the right

coach. Wealthy Purdue alums, etc. can really help out now

with NIL, too. It's a mentality that needs to be changed.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Hopefully Painter becomes more open-minded

about many things including adjustments during

games.
Agree here.

You think there’s NIL money available that isn’t being spent?

Painter’s salary is very reasonable based on his performance.
Are you pleased with his performance?
Agree here.

You think there’s NIL money available that isn’t being spent?
I think there are pro Purdue people that want to

give money to Boiler Alliance that don't because

they don't support Painter as coach anymore.

To answer your question, indirectly yes.

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying but I think you have your order of operations wrong, at least for me. Has to start with the administration and wealthy donors.

No need for me to raise my expectations until that happens, I won’t move the needle in either case and I’m too old to bother with unmet expectations around basketball, I’d rather enjoy the ride each year. You do you though.

Jim Bradley
Randy Artis
Pete Trgovich
Tim Stoddard
Darnell Adell
Junior Bridgeman
John Randall
Ron Mercer
Carl McPipe
Richard Hudson
Brian Banks
Wallace Bryant
Frank Smith
Clem Murrell
Keith Walker
Thad Garner
That is a list i had the honor to see Purdue would have went far with those guys

Did you go to Purdue? Did your parents have a level of expectations for you academically? What would happen if you didn’t meet those expectations?

What they want to hear is how much $$$$ and CMP can’t exactly lie about that. Nor should he.
Are you saying how much money for NIL?
If that’s the case, then I would expect the highest ranked player in the class to get the highest NIL payment from whatever school he chooses, second ranked player gets the next best deal and so on down the line.
Maybe the head coach doesn’t even get involved until after an NIL deal has been negotiated?
With Ruiz, do you expect Miami to start dominating recruiting and signing top 5 classes?

If that’s the case, then I would expect the highest ranked player in the class to get the highest NIL payment from whatever school he chooses, second ranked player gets the next best deal and so on down the line.
Maybe the head coach doesn’t even get involved until after an NIL deal has been negotiated?
With Ruiz, do you expect Miami to start dominating recruiting and signing top 5 classes?
I wouldn't think so, but are Duke and Kentucky dominating the NIL world? I remember looking back and didn't see many of those programs/players with large deals.

If you think top 25-50 kids aren’t getting NIL money promised up front, then you are naive.

Reactions: Schnelk
I wouldn't think so, but are Duke and Kentucky dominating the NIL world? I remember looking back and didn't see many of those programs/players with large deals.
So, what you’re saying is that unless you’re Duke, UK, KU or UNC, that you’re recruiting top players will depend on how sweet of an NIL package you can offer?

If you think top 25-50 kids aren’t getting NIL money promised up front, then you are naive.
I didn’t say that. What I was implying is that people say Painter won’t get involved in NIL discussions. I say BS.
It has to be a coordinated plan between the coaches and alliance to make sure they’re meeting market demand.
As far as top 25-50 kids getting nil, if that’s the new playing field then I’m all for them getting as much as they can.
Does the No1 kid get more than No50?
Do the 5 blue bloods have enough in their nil bank to get 4-5 top 50 recruits and keep them happy both financially and with playing time?

I didn’t say that. What I was implying is that people say Painter won’t get involved in NIL discussions. I say BS.
It has to be a coordinated plan between the coaches and alliance to make sure they’re meeting market demand.
As far as top 25-50 kids getting nil, if that’s the new playing field then I’m all for them getting as much as they can.
Does the No1 kid get more than No50?
Do the 5 blue bloods have enough in their nil bank to get 4-5 top 50 recruits and keep them happy both financially and with playing time?
Why would you think only the 5 blue bloods can afford to buy top 50 players?

Jim Bradley
Randy Artis
Pete Trgovich
Tim Stoddard
Darnell Adell
Junior Bridgeman
John Randall
Ron Mercer
Carl McPipe
Richard Hudson
Brian Banks
Wallace Bryant
Frank Smith
Clem Murrell
Keith Walker
Thad Garner
You'd have to be brain dead to think that Purdue didnt' try to get players from the region.
As though Drake wasn't proof of that?
Are you?

So, what you’re saying is that unless you’re Duke, UK, KU or UNC, that you’re recruiting top players will depend on how sweet of an NIL package you can offer?
No, I think it's still "pay to play" back door deals.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT