ADVERTISEMENT

Question for this board of Purdue experts...

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
Since we have some downtime awaiting a team to play in the B10 tournament later in the week, I got to wondering about something.

Say the unimaginable were to happen and Coach Painter had to step down (i.e., for medical reasons) and Purdue had to appoint a new head coach. Who of the following pools has the passion, grit, family-values, and integrity to take over has Purdue's head coach?

Thoughts based on these pools of coaches:
  • It has to be an existing B10 coach: ?
  • It has to be an existing D1 coach: ?
  • It has to be an existing D2/D3 coach: ?
  • It has to be an existing Purdue MBB assistant coach: ?
Here are my responses...
  1. B10: I'd love Izzo but not sure he'd be around much longer so Greg Gard or Fred Hoiberg
  2. D1: Mark Few (but Shaka Smart or Scott Drew would be good - hard to pick one)
  3. D2/3: Jim Crutchfield
  4. Purdue Asst Coach: PJ Thompson

Since we have some downtime awaiting a team to play in the B10 tournament later in the week, I got to wondering about something.

Say the unimaginable were to happen and Coach Painter had to step down (i.e., for medical reasons) and Purdue had to appoint a new head coach. Who of the following pools has the passion, grit, family-values, and integrity to take over has Purdue's head coach?

Here are my responses...
  1. B10: I'd love Izzo but not sure he'd be around much longer so Greg Gard or Fred Hoiberg
  2. D1: Mark Few (but Shaka Smart or Scott Drew would be good - hard to pick one)
Few will never leave Gonzaga....my friend's wife worked as his secretary until two years ago and the guy is there for life. He's been offered HUGE bucks to leave and won't even listen to others. I'd get the guy from Indiana State.

Purdue has a generations long history of getting very good basketball coaches. I would expect that to not change.

Football has always been a story of extremes, but basketball has been rock solid since before most of us were born.

Purdue has a generations long history of getting very good basketball coaches. I would expect that to not change.

Football has always been a story of extremes, but basketball has been rock solid since before most of us were born.

Since I have watched Purdue basketball, since the 1960s, there have only been 5 head coache. (King, Schaus, Rose, Keady & Painter) Indinia has probably had that many this century.

Shaka!

But if not Shaka, I wouldn't mind seeing someone from outside the Purdue family or Painter coaching tree.

I like Shaka's energy. Looks like we may see them again.

I believe the next coach would have ties to Purdue. I wouldn’t be shocked if it were Weber or Stallings.

I believe the next coach would have ties to Purdue. I wouldn’t be shocked if it were Weber or Stallings.
Seems likely on your first comment but Stallings? Is that a serious comment?

PS - it's actually pretty funny if you're joking and it went over my head, which is certainly possible

Shrewsberry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In all seriousness, I'd either go there or to Lutz and I'd probably lean towards Lutz because he's won at two stops since leaving Purdue. I think Shrews is excellent and will likely do well at Notre Dame but I'd like to see him do something there before turning over the reigns.

Seems like five years from now the answer is likely PJ but he's not ready and I'm not sure there's anyone else in the Painter coaching tree that hasn't been fired in their HC stint.

at one time, Weber, Stallings and Painter were all thought of as potential replacements for Keady. All three went to become head coaches. Painter came back. I have to believe the other two were considered for the job. the talk now favors the next coach being a disciple of Painter and his style of play. Shrews, PJ, Lultz and several others would be good choices.

My thoughts are I wouldn't be shocked if an older coach with ties to keady would be considered, such as Lavin, weber, Zo, or Stallings.

i'm not saying they would be my choice. I kind of like Stevens. I'm just saying I wouldn't be shocked if it were an older coach with ties to Keady. i do believe the choice would have some sort of ties to Purdue rather than being from outside the family.

the question sort of has a double edge. one side is who would you want, and the other side is who do expect Purdue would hire. my choices would be much different in my choice and who I expect purdue would hire.

it's like in football, I had my choice, but I knew full well Purdue would never hire that coach, an knew full well that coach would never want to coach at Purdue.

so I ask, who would you want to replace Painter, vs who would you expect Purdue to hire. I highly doubt Izzo would be the next coach at Purdue. Would I want him to be? do yu want my answer to be a dream? or one based on logical speculation ?

I'd like the next coach to be one that develops talent, and can coach, rather than one who makes promises to lure in 5 star players. I'd be willing to take somebody with zero Purdue connections, but I highly doubt that would ever happen.

I kind of like Doc Rivers, Kerr, Stevens and/or Alford. But that would never happen. it's kind of like taking your wife out to dinner. When she says it's your choice, if you want to live, you make sure that your choice is a place she likes, rather than a place you want to go to. when my wife tells me it's my choice, I don't choose Hooters.

at one time, Weber, Stallings and Painter were all thought of as potential replacements for Keady. All three went to become head coaches. Painter came back. I have to believe the other two were considered for the job. the talk now favors the next coach being a disciple of Painter and his style of play. Shrews, PJ, Lultz and several others would be good choices.

My thoughts are I wouldn't be shocked if an older coach with ties to keady would be considered, such as Lavin, weber, Zo, or Stallings.

i'm not saying they would be my choice. I kind of like Stevens. I'm just saying I wouldn't be shocked if it were an older coach with ties to Keady. i do believe the choice would have some sort of ties to Purdue rather than being from outside the family.

the question sort of has a double edge. one side is who would you want, and the other side is who do expect Purdue would hire. my choices would be much different in my choice and who I expect purdue would hire.

it's like in football, I had my choice, but I knew full well Purdue would never hire that coach, an knew full well that coach would never want to coach at Purdue.

so I ask, who would you want to replace Painter, vs who would you expect Purdue to hire. I highly doubt Izzo would be the next coach at Purdue. Would I want him to be? do yu want my answer to be a dream? or one based on logical speculation ?

I'd like the next coach to be one that develops talent, and can coach, rather than one who makes promises to lure in 5 star players. I'd be willing to take somebody with zero Purdue connections, but I highly doubt that would ever happen.

I kind of like Doc Rivers, Kerr, Stevens and/or Alford. But that would never happen. it's kind of like taking your wife out to dinner. When she says it's your choice, if you want to live, you make sure that your choice is a place she likes, rather than a place you want to go to. when my wife tells me it's my choice, I don't choose Hooters.
Why would ties to Keady matter at this point?

I see zero reason why that would be a consideration. Ties to Painter sure. That's definitely possible. This scenario involves Painter not being fired but leaving of his own accord so I'm assuming he'll have massive input in such a scenario.

Keady will not. Nor would he even try to. He's been out of coaching for almost a generation now.

In all seriousness, I'd either go there or to Lutz and I'd probably lean towards Lutz because he's won at two stops since leaving Purdue. I think Shrews is excellent and will likely do well at Notre Dame but I'd like to see him do something there before turning over the reigns.

Seems like five years from now the answer is likely PJ but he's not ready and I'm not sure there's anyone else in the Painter coaching tree that hasn't been fired in their HC stint.
He did take that penn st team to the big ten tourney final game. He has more D1 experience than Painter had when he took over. Painter brought him in twice, so I would go Shrews over Lutz, higher up side i think.

It’s not like I’m saying Purdue would go to Keady and ask him.

What I’m saying is Purdue will likely hire a coach who has ties to Purdue! And coaches like Weber, Stallings and Zo are still around. And they have more ties to Keady than Painter.

I said it wouldn’t surprise me if they were also considered. Not all future coaches have to be from the Painter tree. There are still a few around from the Keady tree. That tree hasn’t been completely been chopped down yet. There may even be a few around from the Rose tree as well.

Would Purdue fans welcome the return of Weber or Zo as your next head coach? Or do you just want to consider the latest fad?

The last time I looked, it’s not Painter’s decision to make. Was Walters hand picked by Brohm to be his successor? Or was that decision made by the AD? Did Keady pick Painter? Or did the AD?

Here are my responses...
Why do you ask, Mr. Bobinski?

Here are my responses...
Tom Crean! Or Mike Davis! They check all the boxes. Both have been to a Final Four. Both are available. And both would take the job, I'm sure.

 tic

• Love
Reactions: tjreese
Tom Crean! Or Mike Davis! They check all the boxes. Both have been to a Final Four. Both are available. And both would take the job, I'm sure.

 tic
Not Davis....he has the perfect gig. Pretend to be a basketball coach, hide in your basement when Alford's coming to town, lose every game and still get a paycheck.

Matt will coach more than five years from now and I expect PJ to be the primary person when Matt decides he is done. That will allow a transition of not just coaching , but in recruiting players and holding them.

Matt will coach more than five years from now and I expect PJ to be the primary person when Matt decides he is done. That will allow a transition of not just coaching , but in recruiting players and holding them.
Agree on your first point, I'd expect Matt to coach another 5 to 10 years. Whether PJ is his successor depends, IMO, on how long Matt sticks around. If it's closer to five years I don't see PJ as being seen to be ready to take the big job. If it's closer to ten he has a real chance.

Agree on your first point, I'd expect Matt to coach another 5 to 10 years. Whether PJ is his successor depends, IMO, on how long Matt sticks around. If it's closer to five years I don't see PJ as being seen to be ready to take the big job. If it's closer to ten he has a real chance.
it is going to be longer than 5 years

Reactions: northside100
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT