ADVERTISEMENT

Face it, friends, the honeymoon is over

Bottom line the football program is moving in the right direction and if you can't see that go root for somebody else. This is a very young Team as many freshman as we play you're not going to win many games. Like I said before the track has been laid Now let the man Build a train for that track.

Threads like this do assist in building the ignore list.
Good point...it is threads like this that are too easy to create. The difficulty is looking deep into what has been laid in our foundation so far and to realize what 'can be'. There is not much to work with on defense, yet. Youth turns to experience and its not like they got bad as coaches from one year to the next...no, take away any teams best (mostly best) 2/3 best players from each side and see how they do. See how the other player's confidence drops as they 'look down while climbing up the ladder'. They will be fine, in time. We are just pissed because selfishly, we though this year was 'gonna be a good year'...it sucks to wait!

Reactions: TheGunner
In 2017, it felt like the fog was lifted and the sun was shining again! Competing against the Heisman trophy winner? Killing Mizzou? The bumps along the road (Nebraska, Rutgers) could almost be excused as Hazel Hangover. (Although, in retrospect, they probably kept us in a bowl that was more 'in our league', not leading to a blowout loss.) The first crack I seriously detected (forget E. Michigan) was the Minnesota wax-job. No one saw that coming, nor what that blowout did portend. Auburn brought it all tumbling down to the ground. Hard to believe we were favored in that game. What an insult!
Now, with the blowout and disappointment of the last 2 weeks, the road ahead looks bleak. Youth and injuries occur with every program. This is year 3. Several ND coaches had National Champs in year 3. And how is Fleck doing in his year 3?
The real work on 'saving the marriage' has begun. No more excuses. Especially when you are earning the 8th highest NCAA FB coaches salary. (Confirmed?)
This is bad post and you should feel bad for posting it.

In 2017, it felt like the fog was lifted and the sun was shining again! Competing against the Heisman trophy winner? Killing Mizzou? The bumps along the road (Nebraska, Rutgers) could almost be excused as Hazel Hangover. (Although, in retrospect, they probably kept us in a bowl that was more 'in our league', not leading to a blowout loss.) The first crack I seriously detected (forget E. Michigan) was the Minnesota wax-job. No one saw that coming, nor what that blowout did portend. Auburn brought it all tumbling down to the ground. Hard to believe we were favored in that game. What an insult!
Now, with the blowout and disappointment of the last 2 weeks, the road ahead looks bleak. Youth and injuries occur with every program. This is year 3. Several ND coaches had National Champs in year 3. And how is Fleck doing in his year 3?
The real work on 'saving the marriage' has begun. No more excuses. Especially when you are earning the 8th highest NCAA FB coaches salary. (Confirmed?)
Anyone who posts stuff like this didn’t follow Purdue football closely enough under the Haze.

Haze’s classes got progressively worse as it became obvious to everyone but Morgue that he wasn’t the guy. For example: We had 2 quality OL decommit late from his last class. Those guys would be juniors now and probably starting.

Brohm’s first class included 5 o linemen. Beach and Stickford remain. Smart was an ok juco and left. Washington and the other lineman recruited left! Stickford committed after Hazell was fired. Beach was a guy Brohm thought well enough of that he flipped him from his existing commitment. If not for an injury, Beach would have played last year. Stickford and Beach are now RS sophomores. Neither was recruited by Hazell. So no matter how much time Brohm spent recruiting them, he did bring both to Purdue!

Where I differ from most here is that I give Brohm credit for recruiting the players of his 2017 class even though he arrived at Purdue in December of 2016. If you look at their personal profiles, you can see that most list WKU as giving them an offer and many had committed to Brohm while he was still at WKU. I disagree with those who say most of that class were early signees before Brohm arrived. Of that class only 4 that ended up signing had actually committed before Hazell left. You can argue all you want, but to me, Brohm had started recruiting these players long before he became Purdue’s head coach.
In summary..
2017 = Brohm "C-USA" recruiting class, plus a few he was able to flip late in the process, plus a few Hazell holdovers
2018 = First Brohm "Big Ten" recruiting class
2019 = Second Brohm "Big Ten" recruiting class

Last edited:
Look, no offense meant to the players (kids) of previous classes, but the talent just wasn't here. Hazel could not recruit and left the cupboards bare. We were losing kids to Kent State, not Ohio State.

Nobody in their right mind could expect us to have any depth at this stage in Brohm's tenure. I am willing to chalk this one off as a learning and development year, and just hope the younger classes are not demoralized by the season end.

Not too many Power 5 schools could lose a QB, a star receiver, an all-conference LB, and a freight train on the D-line, and expect to recover.

Chill, people.

I think an objective look is really necessary. The criticism or outlook of the original poster isn't trying to get Brohm fired - - it is to point out (and I think rightly so) that recruiting classes number 2 and number 3 of the Brohm tenure have not been as strong as they need to be when it comes to both sides of the line of scrimmage IF we are realistically going to be competitive in the Big Ten West.

The program has to get this turned around if things are to improve beyond mediocrity - - and mediocrity is still way better than the Hazell years. But all on this board are in agreement that the first two Brohm teams have made us all thirst for something way beyond mediocrity -- the early Tiller years or higher seems to be the consensus. The third year comparison to Dabo isn't out of line, but the recruiting of Big Ten bodies up front has got to get better regardless of who is to blame. I'd love for Purdue to turn into the Clemson of the ACC, heck at this point I'd settle for the NC State of the ACC - - but lineman and linebacker recruiting will HAVE to get better.

I think an objective look is really necessary. The criticism or outlook of the original poster isn't trying to get Brohm fired - - it is to point out (and I think rightly so) that recruiting classes number 2 and number 3 of the Brohm tenure have not been as strong as they need to be when it comes to both sides of the line of scrimmage IF we are realistically going to be competitive in the Big Ten West.

The program has to get this turned around if things are to improve beyond mediocrity - - and mediocrity is still way better than the Hazell years. But all on this board are in agreement that the first two Brohm teams have made us all thirst for something way beyond mediocrity -- the early Tiller years or higher seems to be the consensus. The third year comparison to Dabo isn't out of line, but the recruiting of Big Ten bodies up front has got to get better regardless of who is to blame. I'd love for Purdue to turn into the Clemson of the ACC, heck at this point I'd settle for the NC State of the ACC - - but lineman and linebacker recruiting will HAVE to get better.
We dont know how his line recruiting has gone. DL appears to be going well, but OL will take another year or two before we know how the 18 and 19 classes fared. Making a determination this early is fool hardy at best.

Reactions: Boilerscuz
Much like 2017, Purdue still had gaps coming out of this Spring. A few key OL/DL would have helped. He would likely had to have "managed" a few players to free up scholarships. Transfer Portal would have been best for one and done or JUCO a couple of players. We are getting beat up on OL/DL line of scrimmage in 3rd and 4th quarters and it shows. Defensive Coordinator...I'm becoming concerned about as well. The nepotism of one 215 lb MLB has muddied the waters for me and possibly clouded CJB decision as well. 225 lbs and great form tackling and it would not be an issue. Jump on a RB at shoulder level and get dragged like a rag doll for 5+ yards. That is a issue that must be fixed.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Aside from inheriting a roster with many definciencies, Brohm and Co walked into a program whose culture/image had been ruined in the years since Tiller. Most of these recruits/players weren't raised Purdue fans nor come from families that are Purdue fans before they committed. The short term memory of our program was an absolute embarrassment compared to our peers. The fact we are getting the classes we are, killing the social media game with recruits, creating a buzz, etc. is laying the foundation for the future. It's mind-blowing that people want to throw in the towel, which will do what exactly? Oh I know, put us right back to step 1....If you don't have the patience or hope with this staff, go root for OSU, Bama, etc

Lol they think we will sign someone better.

Small problem.. the last time someone with brohms winning percentage was replaced by someone who did better was 1956 lol.. when Stu Holcomb was replaced by Jack Mollenkopf.

You know 1956 is eons ago because Minnesota was still winning national championships.

Idiots think we will do better.. than Jeff Brohm. Why? Because we upgraded our facilities, that’s why! They fail to realize that with all the big ten network cash coming in, even Indiana and Illinois upgraded their facilities

The honeymoon was over when Louisville came calling and Purdue gave out more money to keep Brohm. Expectations became a lot higher on that day!

We have 5 seniors playing a lot. Only Hopkins and McCann are playing well. Our best two players on both sides of the ball are out. Is any of this registering with you? At all?

"This is bad post and you should feel bad for posting it.

Not at all. The fact was most (very close to 100%) of the posters here were jubilant with our start. Who wouldn't be? Last year's early season chinks in the armor were excused as youth and injuries. The recruiting classes revived our spirits, and many predicted a 6-8 win season, despite the bowl beat down. I guess it can still happen. Our early season disappointments just convince that the honeymoon is over. This guy may very well be the real deal (I hope so!) but he is not the magic man of his early promise. Sorry.

Not at all. The fact was most (very close to 100%) of the posters here were jubilant with our start. Who wouldn't be? Last year's early season chinks in the armor were excused as youth and injuries. The recruiting classes revived our spirits, and many predicted a 6-8 win season, despite the bowl beat down. I guess it can still happen. Our early season disappointments just convince that the honeymoon is over. This guy may very well be the real deal (I hope so!) but he is not the magic man of his early promise. Sorry.
You realize we are younger now, right? Or has blood lust taken over?

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
I went from thinking Purdue could win any game on the schedule this year , to a win isn't expected any game. Hope I am wrong

I went from thinking Purdue could win any game on the schedule this year , to a win isn't expected any game. Hope I am wrong
I started the season with the same thinking. But in my initial thinking, I was taking into account that the starting QB, slot receiver, linebacker, RB, etc., etc., etc. were all healthy. When you lose all of your difference-makers in a program, I do expect it to make a difference.

This is the third year for both Fleck and Brohm. A post in a different thread that there are less than 10 players left from those that Hazell recruited! If true for Brohm, then I have to believe it’s also true for Fleck. Fleck brought a bunch of his Western Michigan commits with him to Minnesota. I hate to say it, but the vast majority of both teams are the doings of Fleck and Brohm. It’s time to stop blaming the predecessor. If our line was this bad, Brohm was smart enough to realize it in Spring and could have signed additional transfers while his recruits developed. He chose to sign more high school recruits instead.
That’s how you build a program Wole. You cannot continue to build using the transfer market with the new recruiting limits. Take you ass beatings now for stability later.

The new contract allows Brohm the ability to let the program have its struggles to build long term continuity. An example is Barry Alvarez

Year 1 - 1-10
Year 2 - 5-6
Year 3 - 5-6

What do you want Wole a team or a Program? I know what I prefer. The real question is can Brohm build a program? Currently his recruiting numbers show he is headed in the right direction.

And then you go and make it worse. So congrats you've gone from a bad post to a completely horrendous one. At this point I imagine you're pretty embarrassed based on how many people have provided a factual counter to what you have posted. You may want to just consider moving on at this point.

We are a very young team playing with some very key people out. Let that marinate for a while and maybe you'll catch on.

This is the third year for both Fleck and Brohm. A post in a different thread that there are less than 10 players left from those that Hazell recruited! If true for Brohm, then I have to believe it’s also true for Fleck. Fleck brought a bunch of his Western Michigan commits with him to Minnesota. I hate to say it, but the vast majority of both teams are the doings of Fleck and Brohm. It’s time to stop blaming the predecessor. If our line was this bad, Brohm was smart enough to realize it in Spring and could have signed additional transfers while his recruits developed. He chose to sign more high school recruits instead.

What’s the goal, though? Is it to win enough games in season 3 to become bowl eligible yet again, or is it to recruit enough talent to win the Big Ten West, and then a Big Ten championship?

Because if it’s the former, then yes, Brohm mismanaged the roster. But if it’s the latter, then it’s important to understand that the transfers he was going to be able to sign are not of Jalen Hurts’ caliber. Most of the grad transfers you are going to be able to get are looking to transfer because they couldn’t beat out the guy who WOULD make an immediate impact at Purdue ... but THAT player isn’t looking to transfer.

So you’re better off playing a lot of talented young players at this point, letting them struggle this year, and then reap the benefits from that trial by fire over the next two years.

Last edited:
Reactions: SIBoiler2
What’s the goal, though? Is it to win enough games in season 3 to become bowl eligible yet again, or is it to recruit enough talent to win the Big Ten West, and then a Big Ten championship?

Because if it’s the former, then yes, Brohm mismanaged the roster. But if it’s the latter, then it’s important to understand that the transfers he was going to be able to sign are not of Jalen Hurts’ caliber. Most of the grad transfers you are going to be able to get are looking to transfer because they couldn’t beat out the guy who WOULD make an immediate impact at Purdue ... but THAT player isn’t looking to transfer.

So you’re better off playing a lot of talented young players at this point, letting them struggle this year, and then reap the benefits from that trial by fire over the next two years.
I think most fans expected the team to make a bowl game this year. No one saw the adversity where the team has to overcome the rash of injuries to its best players and make a bowl game.

I reject the entire premise. The best part of a strong marriage is long after the honeymoon. If you want to build something great, it takes hard work and a lot of patience.
And here is why so few marriages last for years today. If it's not spectacular in Its' early years get out and look for the next flashy pairing.

I started the season with the same thinking. But in my initial thinking, I was taking into account that the starting QB, slot receiver, linebacker, RB, etc., etc., etc. were all healthy. When you lose all of your difference-makers in a program, I do expect it to make a difference.

That’s gonna become the story of the season.. “injuries.. sigh, could have been 8-4 easy.”

No injuries and it’s a 6-6 team. With Bailey healthy they had 1.5 big ten linebackers

That’s gonna become the story of the season.. “injuries.. sigh, could have been 8-4 easy.”

No injuries and it’s a 6-6 team. With Bailey healthy they had 1.5 big ten linebackers
Yeah, I felt 8-4 was achievable. 6-6 certainly. The fans are suffering, but I feel for the players who were supposed to have their opportunity to show their stuff for the NFL.

Yeah, I felt 8-4 was achievable. 6-6 certainly. The fans are suffering, but I feel for the players who were supposed to have their opportunity to show their stuff for the NFL.

Even healthy we were replacing 3 OL.. wright has looked like a freshman, Doerue is getting off the ground, graham blows coverages on the regular

Brohm is one of the top coaches in the country. Period! Saban and/or Swinney couldn’t do much better than Brohm after what Hazel left the program. The Haze left us a turd and you want Brohm to throw it in the oven and somehow make it a brownie. Greedy, greedy man. Brohm will get us to the playoffs in the next 15-25 years. Book it! Get your tickets now. You heard it here first. BOILER UP!

Yep, fire Brohm for not winning a national championship in year 3.

RE Fleck Prior to Fleck arriving, Minnesota went 8-5, 8-5, 6-7, 9-4. Prior to Brohm, Purdue went 1-11, 3-9, 2-10, 3-9.

We had Hazell missing on Cronk and Minnesota had

https://www.thedailygopher.com/plat...ruiting-looking-back-at-the-2016-empire-class

I think what is apparent is that the 2015 and 2016 classes weren’t as strong as they needed to be. The fact that Brohm has brought in substantially better recruits is why we have found a way to win games, DESPITE Hazell’s cupboard being bare. How many games would we have won without Rondale in 2018.

The original post is laughable

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT