ADVERTISEMENT

Experience ??

Wolegib

All-American
May 23, 2013
I'm reading a lot of posts about our lack of experience. and I see many people trying to use it as an excuse for losing. In so doing, I haven't seen one post talk about our opponent's lack of experience or youth. we always seem to look at our team and compare it to our team of the past. But we never compare it to our current opponents. We never seem to realize our opponents in many cases are just as youthful and as inexperienced as we are. Very few college basketball teams have 4-5 senior starters. And most successful teams have freshmen and sophomores starting and are the key players.

Last night's game was a good example.

FSU didn't have 4-5 seniors playing. A look at the matchup: FSU had 3 players with 3 years varsity experience, 1 with 2 years and 1 with 1 year. Purdue had 2 players with 3 years varsity experience, two players with 2 years and one player with 1 year. Comparing the two teams , the years of experience was very similar. yet, many people here claim we were a very inexperienced team. Well, in reality, FSU wasn't that much more experienced than Purdue.

Va tech was an experienced team. they had two players with 4 years experience, 2 players with 3 years and one player with 1 year. But was it their experience that won the game?

in looking at the future, we will play Michigan, and MSU. Michigan's starting 5 wil l have 1 player with 4 years experience, 1 player with 2 years experience, 2 players with 1 year and 1 player with 0 years experience. I sure hope I don't hear people saying we're a young in-experienced team against Michigan.

MSU has 1 starter with 4 years, 1 starter with 3 years and 3 starters with onl y 2 years experience. Again, they seem to be as youthful as Purdue is.

it gets tiring to me to constantly read about how young Purdue's team is. the reality is all teams lose players and have to star t over each year. the reality is most teams Purdue plays are just as young and inexperienced as Purdue is. Do Michigan fans complain about their team being young and inexperienced? Do MSU fans? I doubt it. When Duke lost to Gonzaga did the y complain about their youth or the refs? I doubt it.

Purdue lost to Va tech and FSU. why did they lose those games? I tend to believe lack of an inside presence was more of a factor than inexperience. that was also a key factor with our experienced team against texas tech last year as well.

to me using youth and inexperience are just excuses for losing.

I do agree somewhat. I read constantly how much better we'll be next year, or at the end of the season, like no one else will be better . . .

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
It is not youth, but experience. Very few teams lose 4 seniors that were pretty much four year starters. Outside of Carsen, no one has logged significant minutes at this level.

Not sure why anyone is surprised at this or these results, this was to be completely expected coming into this season.

Last edited:
yes, we lost 4 seniors. but other teams lost key starters as well. and as DDD points out, I have to believe other teams will also improve as the season progresses. the Michigan team we play this week will be even tougher the next time we face them.

yes this team will improve, but so will our competition.

my point is I believe we tend to focus on our own team and its past too much. We compare our team to prior Purdue teams. Are we better than last year's Purdue team? What we should be doing is comparing ourselves to our competition. Is this year's team better than this year's IU or MSU or OSU team? to me, that's how you should evaluate how good a team is.

Agreed- but its rare for any program to have 4 players play that big of a role for so many years.

100% agree we should be evaluating based on comparisons to B!G opponents and not past precedent. That being said, you can also acknowledge that a team without many NCAA minutes is going to be plagued by immaturity and dumb decisions until they completely gel.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
I'm reading a lot of posts about our lack of experience. and I see many people trying to use it as an excuse for losing. In so doing, I haven't seen one post talk about our opponent's lack of experience or youth. we always seem to look at our team and compare it to our team of the past. But we never compare it to our current opponents. We never seem to realize our opponents in many cases are just as youthful and as inexperienced as we are. Very few college basketball teams have 4-5 senior starters. And most successful teams have freshmen and sophomores starting and are the key players.

FSU didn't have 4-5 seniors playing. A look at the matchup: FSU had 3 players with 3 years varsity experience, 1 with 2 years and 1 with 1 year. Purdue had 2 players with 3 years varsity experience, two players with 2 years and one player with 1 year. Comparing the two teams , the years of experience was very similar. yet, many people here claim we were a very inexperienced team. Well, in reality, FSU wasn't that much more experienced than Purdue.

Va tech was an experienced team. they had two players with 4 years experience, 2 players with 3 years and one player with 1 year. But was it their experience that won the game?

in looking at the future, we will play Michigan, and MSU. Michigan's starting 5 wil l have 1 player with 4 years experience, 1 player with 2 years experience, 2 players with 1 year and 1 player with 0 years experience. I sure hope I don't hear people saying we're a young in-experienced team against Michigan.

MSU has 1 starter with 4 years, 1 starter with 3 years and 3 starters with onl y 2 years experience. Again, they seem to be as youthful as Purdue is.

it gets tiring to me to constantly read about how young Purdue's team is. the reality is all teams lose players and have to star t over each year. the reality is most teams Purdue plays are just as young and inexperienced as Purdue is. Do Michigan fans complain about their team being young and inexperienced? Do MSU fans? I doubt it. When Duke lost to Gonzaga did the y complain about their youth or the refs? I doubt it.

Purdue lost to Va tech and FSU. why did they lose those games? I tend to believe lack of an inside presence was more of a factor than inexperience. that was also a key factor with our experienced team against texas tech last year as well.

I will agree with you that other teams have just as much inexperience as we do at times. WHat I will tell you though, is Michigan and especially Michigan state find other reasons for excuses for their losses, even though Michigan hasn't had to deal with a loss yet this season. Michigan state has some of the biggest baby fans on the planet.

Agreed- but its rare for any program to have 4 players play that big of a role for so many years.

100% agree we should be evaluating based on comparisons to B!G opponents and not past precedent. That being said, you can also acknowledge that a team without many NCAA minutes is going to be plagued by immaturity and dumb decisions until they completely gel.

And when you take that show onto the road...…...it's that inexperience that rears its ugly head. Somewhat expected.

Need bench to get more experience..... just makes us better. Need to get freshman time as situations allow Be nice if several of them were getting 10-15 min. a game by end of year.

yes, we lost 4 seniors. but other teams lost key starters as well. and as DDD points out, I have to believe other teams will also improve as the season progresses. the Michigan team we play this week will be even tougher the next time we face them.

yes this team will improve, but so will our competition.

my point is I believe we tend to focus on our own team and its past too much. We compare our team to prior Purdue teams. Are we better than last year's Purdue team? What we should be doing is comparing ourselves to our competition. Is this year's team better than this year's IU or MSU or OSU team? to me, that's how you should evaluate how good a team is.
FSU returned 77% of their scoring from last year. Most of our scoring left. We had 5 players playing their first ever road game in aPurdue uniform. I think we will struggle, but we have a coach who always has a team that competes. My expectations were not high for this team. So far I’m pleasantly surprised. I am concerned how we will hold leads late. I think Evan needs to be in to make a low post presence.

It is not youth, but experience. Very few teams lose 4 seniors that were pretty much four year starters. Outside of Carsen, no one has logged significant minutes at this level.

Not sure why anyone is surprised at this or these results, this was to be completely expected coming into this season.

This a million times. This really is not rocket science folks - look at Villanova, lost four starters and lost to Furman in their own gym. Experience matters.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT