ADVERTISEMENT

Eric Hunter, Jr

No offense (no pun intended) but there's no way in hell Hunter is even getting milisecond glance from any NBA team.
I know he's just doing this probably to experience whatever the process if for someone who isn't considered a prospect, but it's not a good look.

No offense (no pun intended) but there's no way in hell Hunter is even getting milisecond glance from any NBA team.
I know he's just doing this probably to experience whatever the process if for someone who isn't considered a prospect, but it's not a good look.
I don't disagree, but, what is the harm in him going through the process if he wishes to? Not like he is the first, or, will be the last guy to declare that has about zero chance of ever being drafted.

I think there is merit to the idea of him returning...that, things have presented that make that a possibility.

Ironically, I was just talking with my son and a couple of his buddies today...look at the Portland/OKC game from Tuesday night, and, the guys that started (and played)...there were I believe 14/15 guys...there were no more than 3 that we had ever heard of (and, one of those was a stretch even). So, the idea that he has no chance is likely indeed true, but, I promise that 8 of the 10 starters in that game, if not 9 of the 10, had seemingly no chance either.

There's literally no downside to it, get experience at what the NBA process looks like and feedback on what he could do to get an opportunity, likely in the G-League but it's still professional basketball.

Disagree with the not a good look part. He's an experienced player, checking his options as it's not likely to change next year. Now what isn't a good luck is a freshman who couldn't hit the broadside of the barn for a couple feet away from the basket going through the process as everyone who could see knew exactly what they needed to work on.

I had a feeling he might be coming back when I.T. hit the transfer portal. I hope he comes back and we get Peck.
I feel like it's a Pack or Hunter situation. PG that'll play 30+ minutes a game and have Smith and Morton fill in the other 10 minutes

I feel like it's a Pack or Hunter situation. PG that'll play 30+ minutes a game and have Smith and Morton fill in the other 10 minutes
Ugh. Pack is probably preferable, right?

Hunter proved me more than wrong and really stepped up his game, but his lack of scoring ability, particularly from a guard who played 30+ minutes, hurt Purdue in some really important games.

Reactions: 3ZSDAD
Ugh. Pack is probably preferable, right?

Hunter proved me more than wrong and really stepped up his game, but his lack of scoring ability, particularly from a guard who played 30+ minutes, hurt Purdue in some really important games.
Yeah, Pack would bring the dynamic play that we need. I just don't see Hunter coming back to play back-up, maybe playing off-guard but then we're potentially pushing Newman to the bench again

Whether he comes back or not, this does not improve our need for a PG. Hunter is a great kid, and he can provide scoring from time to time, but he is not a floor general.
Not improve but keeps the guard position steady at least. If we miss out on the transfer guards (Pack, Penn, Llewellyn) then Hunter is obviously better than relying on Smith and Morton for the entire game.

Reactions: Poprudy
Yeah I feel like this is news, but not really. Same as the last week or so, still speculating whether he returns and what that might be contingent upon, i.e., Pack's decision.

Yeah I feel like this is news, but not really. Same as the last week or so, still speculating whether he returns and what that might be contingent upon, i.e., Pack's decision.
It's interesting to me that this comes out after Pack's visit. Good or bad, not sure but the timing is a little weird.

Reactions: Schnelk
Yeah, Pack would bring the dynamic play that we need. I just don't see Hunter coming back to play back-up, maybe playing off-guard but then we're potentially pushing Newman to the bench again
Sign me up for that. Pack and Hunter as the starting backcourt with a Newman/Morton combo at the 3. 20-25 mpg would be a huge step up from what Newman had available to him this year. Morton is a Swiss Army knife that could spell guys at several positions 1-4 or man the 3 spot if Newman isn't cut out and none of the young pups are ready.

I actually thinking landing Pack would make a return MORE attractive to Hunter as opposed to playing with a freshman or somebody who isn't a primary ball handler.

Sign me up for that. Pack and Hunter as the starting backcourt with a Newman/Morton combo at the 3. 20-25 mpg would be a huge step up from what Newman had available to him this year. Morton is a Swiss Army knife that could spell guys at several positions 1-4 or man the 3 spot if Newman isn't cut out and none of the young pups are ready.

I actually thinking landing Pack would make a return MORE attractive to Hunter as opposed to playing with a freshman or somebody who isn't a primary ball handler.
Definitely looks like a more competitive team but Hunter could be keeping the door open as a courtesy to Painter that if the portal doesn't produce he'll come back to help out the team.

This is definitely different from the conversation's before and during the seasons because of the IT transfer, Hunter had probably mentally come to a decision that he was done because IT was there to lead and teach the freshmen and now IT is gone and he doesn't want to leave Painter shorthanded

Definitely looks like a more competitive team but Hunter could be keeping the door open as a courtesy to Painter that if the portal doesn't produce he'll come back to help out the team.

This is definitely different from the conversation's before and during the seasons because of the IT transfer, Hunter had probably mentally come to a decision that he was done because IT was there to lead and teach the freshmen and now IT is gone and he doesn't want to leave Painter shorthanded
Zero chance Hunter is going to commit a year of his life, in his physical prime, to something simply out of courtesy to Painter. Zero chance.

Zero chance Hunter is going to commit a year of his life, in his physical prime, to something simply out of courtesy to Painter. Zero chance.
If there's no prospect of a professional career in basketball (especially in the US), why wouldn't he come back and get a Master's degree for free and play high level basketball at 35 minutes a game again?

So assuming it is going to be Pack OR Hunter

Pacunter/Smith
Morton/Loyer
Newman/Heide
Gillis/TKR/Waddell
Edey/Furst/Berg

That's how I see it.

Pack
Hunter
Newman
TKR
Furst

Edey, Morton, Gillis first 3 subs :)
Pack
Hunter
Newman
Gillis
Edey

I think he'll go with his proven top flight upperclassmen combo with established chemistry and another year of improvement. Furst and TKR will give the front court another look.

Morton will be first off the bench.

Berg and Smith redshirt

Reactions: BoilerMadness
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT