ADVERTISEMENT

Eric Hunter, Jr

Lol, what happened to that “everyone is entitled to their opinion” proclamation you made just a short time ago?
There's opinions and then there is foolishness. To put Newman's and Hunter's offensive ceiling on the same level is some kind of blind love for EH. Do you want to add IT to that ceiling as well? Look back through Painter and Keady's coaching careers, not a whole lot of guards scored 29 in a BIG game.

There's opinions and then there is foolishness. To put Newman's and Hunter's offensive ceiling on the same level is some kind of blind love for EH. Do you want to add IT to that ceiling as well? Look back through Painter and Keady's coaching careers, not a whole lot of guards scored 29 in a BIG game.
One has a much higher floor than the other one also.

I obviously didn't convey the sarcasm with regards to how many times he has mentioned it in just about every post he makes.

It has nothing to do with anyone else and I thought was obvious but it must not of been.
Oh I've been around here a long time. I know who Wole is and his track son.

My point is we have several that do that exact same thing. It's either a kid or a grandkid that gets brought up all the time. One in particular is really bad lately. Wole isn't alone. I'm not Wole's defender, so I'm out of this. I just find all of the bragging tiresome.

Reactions: 3ZSDAD
I would love it if Hunter Jr. returns. He can help us for sure. He ended up over 40% from 3. The other thing is the leadership he can bring to the team.
That supposed leadership failed about 7 times last year. That was the problem with last year's team. The leadership folded when the pressure was on. They couldn't put teams away and played to the level of the competition. Something needs to change, either Painter or the players, or both. Not changing anything and expecting different results is the definition of insanity

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
That supposed leadership failed about 7 times last year. That was the problem with last year's team. The leadership folded when the pressure was on. They couldn't put teams away and played to the level of the competition. Something needs to change, either Painter or the players, or both. Not changing anything and expecting different results is the definition of insanity
No the turnovers did us in. It's really just that simple.

And Painter isn't going anywhere nor should he.

What do you propose, specifically?

Reactions: Do Dah Day
What do you propose, specifically?
Let Hunter move on. Do what you have to do to get Pack, if not him then Lewellyn. Then you have 2 natural point guards for next year. You don't need 2 portal transfers in. If Painter would play Morton at the point, you don't even need one. Play to the ceiling not the floor. The tendency with painter is he plays to the floor. Wooden made teams adjust to his team, not the other way around. It is called playing not avoid losing. Keady's teams were great during the season the last 5 minutes of a game. When it got to the tournament time against lower seeded teams they played to avoid losing, in other words scared. Look at the teams under Painter, UALR, NT and St Peters. Does he ever make teams do something different to beat us?

The tendency with painter is he plays to the floor.
Single most inaccurate thing I have read in a while from you compl'ainters. Painter has shown time and time again that he does things to adjust. Even this most recent tourney the announcers made a comment during the UT game about Painter making adjustments at halftime. Maybe try paying attention once.

And when the whole team is turning the ball over, which was our main problem this past season, there is only so much a coach is gonna do.

To quote Deuce, “someone better”…
The vast majority of Purdue fans would welcome that with open arms. In fact, it makes complete sense that we should replace each and every Purdue employee with someone better.

Now that we got that out of the way, who? It can't be a very long list.

Where Purdue is today (Top 20 team, every year challenging for a B1G title and NCAA tournament participant), the probability that change will result in better outcomes is lower than the probability that things get worse. With all of their resources, Indinia has proven this. So have countless other schools. How does Purdue avoid that?

Let Hunter move on. Do what you have to do to get Pack, if not him then Lewellyn. Then you have 2 natural point guards for next year. You don't need 2 portal transfers in. If Painter would play Morton at the point, you don't even need one. Play to the ceiling not the floor. The tendency with painter is he plays to the floor. Wooden made teams adjust to his team, not the other way around. It is called playing not avoid losing. Keady's teams were great during the season the last 5 minutes of a game. When it got to the tournament time against lower seeded teams they played to avoid losing, in other words scared. Look at the teams under Painter, UALR, NT and St Peters. Does he ever make teams do something different to beat us?
If Pack chooses Duke and Llewellen chooses Villanova? Then what?

And Level 42 beat me to it. "The tendency with painter is he plays to the floor." What does that even mean?

The vast majority of Purdue fans would welcome that with open arms. In fact, it makes complete sense that we should replace each and every Purdue employee with someone better.

Where Purdue is today (Top 20 team, every year challenging for a B1G title and NCAA tournament participant), the probability that change will result in better outcomes is lower than the probability that things get worse. With all of their resources, Indinia has proven this. So have countless other schools. How does Purdue avoid that?
I don't remember where I saw the article but it was one that countered the whole fire Painter crowd's argument and basically said because of Painter we have a very spoiled fanbase which is extremely accurate.

Because of all he has accomplished here we can see the path to more which we haven't had in ages. Not even really under Gene.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Some act like those players are not getting recruited by more than us and they are just standing around waiting for an offer from Purdue.

Same goes with the 15 coaches in the country that were in front of Painter this year. All those coaches are just waiting for our AD to pick up the phone and make an offer.

I don't remember where I saw the article but it was one that countered the whole fire Painter crowd's argument and basically said because of Painter we have a very spoiled fanbase which is extremely accurate.

Because of all he has accomplished here we can see the path to more which we haven't had in ages. Not even really under Gene.
Every Purdue fan wants a FF and NC. Every Purdue fan, at some level, was frustrated by the outcomes of this season. But people are not being realistic if they believe it's as simple as getting "someone better."

And Level 42 beat me to it. "The tendency with painter is he plays to the floor." What does that even mean?
It means that Purdue under Painter, the team in pressure situations plays to the level of it's competition. That is how we end up losing to lower seeds in the NCAA tournament. If you play to the ceiling you beat teams like UALR, NT and St Peters. Wooden teams played to the ceiling, yes he had great recruits but they played to their ceiling not to the other teams level. They didn't have point guards that after four years of coaching and playing could only go right or left. He didn't have post players that couldn't shoot from 8 ft away. Walton and Alvin for could either shoot a hook or turn and face up from 45 degree angle and shoot a bank shot. We are getting better players in and that is due to Painter and the staff. Now it is their job to develop them better. First needs to be a much better version in 2 years than he was this year. Both physically and skill wise. I am using First as an example, 4 years ago I would have though Hunter would have developed his right hand, didn't happen. Last year I thought Ivey would get better going left, we saw the results in the tournament. Under pressure players bad habits return unless it has been coached out of them. Edey bringing the ball down. Is another one. Players not being in a defensive stance contributes to getting beat off the dribble. These are things that will have to change for Purdue to get to perennial top 20 team and one that compete for final four.

It means that Purdue under Painter, the team in pressure situations plays to the level of it's competition. That is how we end up losing to lower seeds in the NCAA tournament. If you play to the ceiling you beat teams like UALR, NT and St Peters. Wooden teams played to the ceiling, yes he had great recruits but they played to their ceiling not to the other teams level. They didn't have point guards that after four years of coaching and playing could only go right or left. He didn't have post players that couldn't shoot from 8 ft away. Walton and Alvin for could either shoot a hook or turn and face up from 45 degree angle and shoot a bank shot. We are getting better players in and that is due to Painter and the staff. Now it is their job to develop them better. First needs to be a much better version in 2 years than he was this year. Both physically and skill wise. I am using First as an example, 4 years ago I would have though Hunter would have developed his right hand, didn't happen. Last year I thought Ivey would get better going left, we saw the results in the tournament. Under pressure players bad habits return unless it has been coached out of them. Edey bringing the ball down. Is another one. Players not being in a defensive stance contributes to getting beat off the dribble. These are things that will have to change for Purdue to get to perennial top 20 team and one that compete for final four.
Sorry for the wording, damn autocorrect.

These are things that will have to change for Purdue to get to perennial top 20 team and one that compete for final four.
By frequently being in the S16 like we have been as of late, we are are already doing these things. And were in an E8 just a couple years ago hence 'competing' for a FF.

Development wasn't and hasn't been a problem in a long time. Turnovers as I and even GBI have said were our undoing. Again, it's not all that complicated.

By frequently being in the S16 like we have been as of late, we are are already doing these things. And were in an E8 just a couple years ago hence 'competing' for a FF.

Development wasn't and hasn't been a problem in a long time. Turnovers as I and even GBI have said were our undoing. Again, it's not all that complicated.
Turnovers, turnovers, and turnovers. No question. Typically an area of strength for Purdue, which made it all the more frustrating.

4th on the list was defense, which is also typically a strength. They just seemed to think that all they had to do was to outscore the opponent.

I think Purdue has been in 1 elite 8 under Painter, ,1 elite 8 under Keady, 1 under Lee Rose and 1 under George King. So to act like that happens all the time for Purdue it doesn't. To get to the sweet sixteen is expected if you are a ,4 seed or better. To get further than that, you have be fundamentally better than we were last year. I think part of it, you may need to look not at Painter but at the assistants. Painter has lost a lot of assistants through the years and each of them would have had strengths and weaknesses. I think that may have had something to do with last seasons results.

I think Purdue has been in 1 elite 8 under Painter, ,1 elite 8 under Keady, 1 under Lee Rose and 1 under George King. So to act like that happens all the time for Purdue it doesn't. To get to the sweet sixteen is expected if you are a ,4 seed or better. To get further than that, you have be fundamentally better than we were last year. I think part of it, you may need to look not at Painter but at the assistants. Painter has lost a lot of assistants through the years and each of them would have had strengths and weaknesses. I think that may have had something to do with last seasons results.
You brought up being a perennial top 20 team and getting to the S16 frequently as we have proves that we are since there are only sixteen teams. Getting to an elite 8 also refutes your comment as that is 'battling for a final four'.

Turn the ball over less and we very likely are in another elite 8. That isn't on Painter, that is on the players turning the ball over and specifically one player that had a bad game.

You brought up being a perennial top 20 team and getting to the S16 frequently as we have proves that we are since there are only sixteen teams. Getting to an elite 8 also refutes your comment as that is 'battling for a final four'.

Turn the ball over less and we very likely are in another elite 8. That isn't on Painter, that is on the players turning the ball over and specifically one player that had a bad game.
Wrong that is on Painter, Edey averaged 2.5 turnovers in March. It is on Painter to teach the players to value the ball. Teams should be good at what the coaching staff emphasizes if they are not then you use discipline to change behavior or your teaching methods. Once again, this is what coaches are paid to do. Managers at work have the same expectations either their employees perform or they change the employees behavior or the manager is going to be let go.

Wrong that is on Painter, Edey averaged 2.5 turnovers in March. It is on Painter to teach the players to value the ball. Teams should be good at what the coaching staff emphasizes if they are not then you use discipline to change behavior or your teaching methods. Once again, this is what coaches are paid to do. Managers at work have the same expectations either their employees perform or they change the employees behavior or the manager is going to be let go.
I encourage you to watch or read Painter's and the player's post-game comments from the 2021-22 season, especially after losses.

• Love

I talked about getting to be a perennial top 20 team. We are not there yet.. Sweet 16 we have been to four I think under Painter, I think it actually less. I agree this team turned the ball over a lot. That problem was there last year as well . This is something that has to change moving forward. I know teams that are post-centric and bad passing are more turnover prone. Painter should have come up with a dribble entry offense instead of the automatic pass to the wing. Any Jr high coach would have that in as a counter to wing denial. That is how teams started to take away the offense during the BIG.

I encourage you to watch or read Painter's and the player's post-game comments from the 2021-22 season, especially after losses.
It is easy to say the right thing, it is more important to do the right thing during the game. How many times did Ivey screw things up on last possession s.? Why did Painter put up with it? If you can't discipline your best player you can't discipline anyone.

Reactions: collegehoopsfan123
That supposed leadership failed about 7 times last year. That was the problem with last year's team. The leadership folded when the pressure was on. They couldn't put teams away and played to the level of the competition. Something needs to change, either Painter or the players, or both. Not changing anything and expecting different results is the definition of isanity
Pa
Yes he made Villanova adjust in 2019.

Reactions: Level 42

3,4 &10th is not challenging for a Big Ten title every year. Not even close to top 20 every year. Probably wouldn't have been in NCAA 3 years ago either.

3,4 &10th is not challenging for a Big Ten title every year. Not even close to top 20 every year. Probably wouldn't have been in NCAA 3 years ago either.

I talked about getting to be a perennial top 20 team. We are not there yet.. Sweet 16 we have been to four I think under Painter, I think it actually less. I agree this team turned the ball over a lot. That problem was there last year as well . This is something that has to change moving forward. I know teams that are post-centric and bad passing are more turnover prone. Painter should have come up with a dribble entry offense instead of the automatic pass to the wing. Any Jr high coach would have that in as a counter to wing denial. That is how teams started to take away the offense during the BIG.
6 times to Sweet 16 under Painter and Keady was to 2 Elite 8's- are you a Purdue fan?

It is easy to say the right thing, it is more important to do the right thing during the game. How many times did Ivey screw things up on last possession s.? Why did Painter put up with it? If you can't discipline your best player you can't discipline anyone.
Some people were saying the same thing about Carsen Edwards. Painter kept allowing him to play through it. Then Edwards led Purdue as close to the FF as you can possibly get without making it. In 1994, Purdue was playing Duke to get to the FF.

And if you saw the game against St. Peters, Painter pulled Ivey for several minutes to calm him down.

Reactions: Level 42
You don't think Purdue was challenging for a title this year finishing one game out of 1st place and playing in the B1G championship game? OK. I am now understanding that you are deliberately being obtuse.

Pack
Hunter
Newman
Gillis
Edey

I think he'll go with his proven top flight upperclassmen combo with established chemistry and another year of improvement. Furst and TKR will give the front court another look.

Morton will be first off the bench.

Berg and Smith redshirt
Smith will not be redshirted. No way. And First will certainly start along with Gillis. Newman will come off the bench. TKR will be in the line up a lot of minutes.

Reactions: collegehoopsfan123
Or, it's the definition of 'perseverance'.

Find me any reputable dictionary where insanity is defined as 'not changing anything and expecting different results'

That saying is one that's been repeated over and over again but has very little basis in reality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT