ADVERTISEMENT

Eric Hunter, Jr

Let Hunter move on. Do what you have to do to get Pack, if not him then Lewellyn. Then you have 2 natural point guards for next year. You don't need 2 portal transfers in. If Painter would play Morton at the point, you don't even need one. Play to the ceiling not the floor. The tendency with painter is he plays to the floor. Wooden made teams adjust to his team, not the other way around. It is called playing not avoid losing. Keady's teams were great during the season the last 5 minutes of a game. When it got to the tournament time against lower seeded teams they played to avoid losing, in other words scared. Look at the teams under Painter, UALR, NT and St Peters. Does he ever make teams do something different to beat us?
Once again: We have TWO open scholarships. We can sign Pack AND have Hunter come back.

Everybody that is a fan of Purdue basketball wants, desperately wants, Brandon Newman to be so successful that we have a hard time keeping him off the court. I want him to start and score 10-15 points a game, every game. I think he is capable of doing just that. We are all rooting for him.

Now, Eric Hunter coming back or not has some impact on Brandon. If my guess is correct, Hunter might be moved to the 2-guard which is Brandon's natural positon. Both of these players have shown sporatic scoring capabilities, but Hunter has improved his defense.

That said, opinions on here are as important as a small fart in a hurricane. Let's not get down on each other just because our opinions differ.

Matt Painter will play the "best players" he has, which is determined/defined by who does the best in practice. That is a common process for ALL D1 basketball programs, so there is nothing unusual about it. Brandon has to show he can play within the offensive and defensive schemes of this team. He can do it, but until he does, he is going to ride the bench.

:cool:

Everybody that is a fan of Purdue basketball wants, desperately wants, Brandon Newman to be so successful that we have a hard time keeping him off the court. I want him to start and score 10-15 points a game, every game. I think he is capable of doing just that. We are all rooting for him.

Now, Eric Hunter coming back or not has some impact on Brandon. If my guess is correct, Hunter might be moved to the 2-guard which is Brandon's natural positon. Both of these players have shown sporatic scoring capabilities, but Hunter has improved his defense.

That said, opinions on here are as important as a small fart in a hurricane. Let's not get down on each other just because our opinions differ.

Matt Painter will play the "best players" he has, which is determined/defined by who does the best in practice. That is a common process for ALL D1 basketball programs, so there is nothing unusual about it. Brandon has to show he can play within the offensive and defensive schemes of this team. He can do it, but until he does, he is going to ride the bench.

Until Brandon improves his ball handling, I think he’s a 3. Like Sasha. In other words, he can’t be the second best ball handler on the floor.

Once again: We have TWO open scholarships. We can sign Pack AND have Hunter come back.

Oh.....obviously.....but.....if we were with him.......

giphy.gif

sorry you don't have the reading comprehension to be able to understand a post that's more than 6 words long. As i alluded to in a previous post. what do people here d o in the off season? they spend their time belittling other posters. Life doesn't change here, does it?
You belittle someone who made a comment in jest that obviously most found funny by reactions to the follow up and then you wonder why others spend time belittling other posters?

you set yourself up. You throw up nonsensical long posts making statements with virtually no basis. You’re not alone there but the real rub is you go out of your way to brag when you are correct even creating new posts about it even when your correct statements were obvious (or for the not so obvious ones you are partially right at a rate below the Mendoza line).

I talked about getting to be a perennial top 20 team. We are not there yet.. Sweet 16 we have been to four I think under Painter, I think it actually less. I agree this team turned the ball over a lot. That problem was there last year as well . This is something that has to change moving forward. I know teams that are post-centric and bad passing are more turnover prone. Painter should have come up with a dribble entry offense instead of the automatic pass to the wing. Any Jr high coach would have that in as a counter to wing denial. That is how teams started to take away the offense during the BIG.
I heard that Bobinski has interviewed over 100 middle school coaches and chosen to stick with Painter

Whether it's Hunter or Brandon, it's still a win for Purdue. I'd love to see Hunter come back because of his defense and his improved scoring ability and 3 point shot. I also think Brandon will play a lot at the 3 because of his size. We'll see what happens...

Whether it's Hunter or Brandon, it's still a win for Purdue. I'd love to see Hunter come back because of his defense and his improved scoring ability and 3 point shot. I also think Brandon will play a lot at the 3 because of his size. We'll see what happens...
Brandon I think would flourish at the 3, his issues have been inconsistency but that all gets resolved with more playing time. Which he will have plenty of.

There's literally no downside to it, get experience at what the NBA process looks like and feedback on what he could do to get an opportunity, likely in the G-League but it's still professional basketball.
G-league guys are 'almost' good enough for the NBA. Hunter isn't G-league talented. Doesn't have the speed or athleticism to play any level of pro ball in the US.

G-league guys are 'almost' good enough for the NBA. Hunter isn't G-league talented. Doesn't have the speed or athleticism to play any level of pro ball in the US.
Not true at all. Chris Kramer is a perfect example of him being able to play in the G-League.

He may never get any higher than that, but Chris one could argue has the same skillset as Hunter and made quite the living in that league.

Not true at all. Chris Kramer is a perfect example of him being able to play in the G-League.

He may never get any higher than that, but Chris one could argue has the same skillset as Hunter and made quite the living in that league.
How long did Kramer play in the G-league? I thought he's been in Europe for about 10 years? Would be interesting to know what a low end G-league salary is? $50K?

Yeah, Pack would bring the dynamic play that we need. I just don't see Hunter coming back to play back-up, maybe playing off-guard but then we're potentially pushing Newman to the bench again
If Pack comes here, EHJ becomes the 2 and Newman takes Sasha's role as the 3. That gives us a lot of offensive power and EHJ gives us a great defender, too.

For people, who are afraid that EHJ would be an offensive liability, you need to remember that EHJ scored 2583 pts in HS, which ranked him as the #8 best scorer in Indiana HS History. He's a better scorer, than he is a distributer. Unfortunately, scoring wasn't his role on the team.

Pack
Hunter
Newman
TKR
Furst

Edey, Morton, Gillis first 3 subs :)
So you're arbitrarily going to replace two starters? Edey will be a double double machine this season, probably giving us 20 & 11 per game and you want him on the bench?

Gillis is one of the hardest workers on the team and you're benching him too?

I'm glad Painter is smarter than that...

If Pack comes here, EHJ becomes the 2 and Newman takes Sasha's role as the 3. That gives us a lot of offensive power and EHJ gives us a great defender, too.

For people, who are afraid that EHJ would be an offensive liability, you need to remember that EHJ scored 2583 pts in HS, which ranked him as the #8 best scorer in Indiana HS History. He's a better scorer, than he is a distributer. Unfortunately, scoring wasn't his role on the team.
May have been a talented scorer in HS, the big ten is a whole different level. He’s not inept on the offensive end by any means but, definitely not a guy you want to be your main offensive weapon.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
So you're arbitrarily going to replace two starters? Edey will be a double double machine this season, probably giving us 20 & 11 per game and you want him on the bench?

In all fairness. I do think Edey starts, but I think Furst will get many of Tre's minutes. I love Gillis, but if TKR is as good as advertised. He may end up starting over Gillis eventually.

In all fairness. I do think Edey starts, but I think Furst will get many of Tre's minutes. I love Gillis, but if TKR is as good as advertised. He may end up starting over Gillis eventually.
I’m really hoping Kaufman is good enough to take one of the starting positions.

Reactions: Zaphod_B

Hey it’s an off-season hot take. Guess we’ll see how it plays out.

If our 5’s are going to end up splitting time again, doesn’t it make sense to surround each one with complementary players? I think Pack would flourish with an athletic front court, while the backup guards, who in this scenario would be much better shooters and ball handlers, could play more four-out while Edey is in the game and also protect him a bit more defensively.

May have been a talented scorer in HS, the big ten is a whole different level. He’s not inept on the offensive end by any means but, definitely not a guy you want to be your main offensive weapon.
Regardless of who we add, I hope he comes back. And if things don't work out for us with recruiting the transfer portal, I will be very, very happy to see him back

I like Hunter and welcome him back with open arms. However, 6.2ppg last year and several no shows dont really excite me at position that really needs to produce night in and night out. Would ideally come off the bench.
In the motion offense the PG spot isn't necessarily going to be a high scoring position and based on who surrounded him, that PPG is not all that alarming.

In the motion offense the PG spot isn't necessarily going to be a high scoring position and based on who surrounded him, that PPG is not all that alarming.
Purdue (Keady and Painter) has had way too many PGs who weren't a threat to score and the defense would be happy to leave them open from outside of 10 feet all day long.

The only PG that teams would leave alone outside of 10 feet in the last several years is Nojel. The other PGs could knock down 3s at a good rate
And that is the key, sometimes, you just have to be a threat so defense can't sag off of you to far so you don't end up playing 4 on 5.

The only PG that teams would leave alone outside of 10 feet in the last several years is Nojel. The other PGs could knock down 3s at a good rate
Most recently, Hunter and IT were really spot up shooting guards forced to play the PG position. But you're right, they could hit a wide open 3, but that's all they did from that position. They couldn't create, get their own shot or break down the D.
Before that:
Eastern? No
PJ Thompson: Same as IT. Hit's a wide open 3 but that's the extent of his offense.
Bryson Scott: No jumper
Ronnie Johnson: Meh
Kramer: no jumper
Lew Jack: no jumper

But that wasn't the basis for your original argument. Why change it?

Plus there is talent on the roster and coming in that could do the same thing, which also sorta refutes your post.
You said the PG in the motion offense doesn't need to be able to score. My point was your Pg always needs to be a threat to score and that Purdue has had a lot of PGs who either couldn't shoot or if they could shoot, they weren't creators.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT