ADVERTISEMENT

2026 Recruits

Steven Reynolds and Gabriel Sularski are 2026 prospects as well. Hard to say how many recruits we will take in 2026 with it still being a couple years away. Smith, Loyer, and TKR should graduate in 2026. Do any players leave early for the NBA? Should be fun to keep track of - Boiler Up!

Steven Reynolds and Gabriel Sularski are 2026 prospects as well. Hard to say how many recruits we will take in 2026 with it still being a couple years away. Smith, Loyer, and TKR should graduate in 2026. Do any players leave early for the NBA? Should be fun to keep track of - Boiler Up!
We’d have room for those two wouldn’t we?

I assume Catchings and maaaaybe Colvin are gone by then.

Smith could be gone after next, but I’d guess he’s back for senior year. Same for Heide (hope he makes a huge jump soph year).

I think we would have room for 3 in 2026, assuming all current players, current 2024 signees are still on the roster, plus the (currently) one 2025 recruit we have room for.

My guess is we would go after 1 big and 2 guards in the 2026 class with our focus on the 4 in 2025.

Smith could be gone after next, but I’d guess he’s back for senior year. Same for Heide (hope he makes a huge jump soph year).
I suspect that's a good guess on Catchings. Bad guess on Colvin (well, now I get you, so maybe not). Heide is here to stay.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I think we would have room for 3 in 2026, assuming all current players, current 2024 signees are still on the roster, plus the (currently) one 2025 recruit we have room for.

My guess is we would go after 1 big and 2 guards in the 2026 class with our focus on the 4 in 2025.
Just curious. When do we choose to take the very best who want to play here vs what position they play?

Reactions: tjreese

I see Heide as a better NBA prospect than Colvin personally. Heide's length is real for a 2/3, what the NBA is looking for, and Painter for sure will have his defense ready for the next level.

I see Heide as a better NBA prospect than Colvin personally. Heide's length is real for a 2/3, what the NBA is looking for, and Painter for sure will have his defense ready for the next level.
Yeah Heide is a year ahead of Colvin and looks great. Excited to see his jump next year. Colvin is pretty young for a Frosh…I expect to see Colvin take a jump and show off that sweet jump shot and wow us with that nba level athleticism next year.

So thus far there have been four offers, all guards(1-3) in the 2026 class, is that correct?

Just curious. When do we choose to take the very best who want to play here vs what position they play?
Excellent question.

I think you try to have some class balance, but with the portal it changes that dramatically. You can fill a "need" so much easier now and can do it quickly. I think the top programs just load up with the best talent they can get almost regardless of position and then fill in where needed on a year to year basis.

It's why I don't get upset or worry when/if CMP over signs. Just get the talent and as many of them as possible. It will sort itself out and use the portal for individual needs.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Maybe when Purdue has a team between 6'4" to 6'8"? Oops missed your question a bit. Not sure. Matt values various skills, but you might make that desire more vague if you get the best players in the range I mentioned?

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Maybe when Purdue has a team between 6'4" to 6'8"? Oops missed your question a bit. Not sure. Matt values various skills, but you might make that desire more vague if you get the best players in the range I mentioned?
Sounds really good to build a team that way for maximum versatility, but then I think about Edey and Smith. It’s a little old school, but I appreciate the way that the current team is constructed.

Sounds really good to build a team that way for maximum versatility, but then I think about Edey and Smith. It’s a little old school, but I appreciate the way that the current team is constructed.
The versatility is a result of a short clock more than anything. Could you imagine if Purdue had even a 45 second clock how they could wait a bit more to get Zach where he wants? Could you imagine a ref watching the D on Zach for a longer duration and NOT calling fouls? All this said, Matt is moving towards a more versatile team with the recruits he is getting, but Matt is a contrarian compared to many other coaches.

The versatility is a result of a short clock more than anything. Could you imagine if Purdue had even a 45 second clock how they could wait a bit more to get Zach where he wants? Could you imagine a ref watching the D on Zach for a longer duration and NOT calling fouls? All this said, Matt is moving towards a more versatile team with the recruits he is getting, but Matt is a contrarian compared to many other coaches.
The reason to be a contrarian is that there are values to be had. Neither Edey nor Smith was highly recruited because they don’t fit the prototype that most coaches seem to be looking for these days. Purdue can’t do the things defensively with this team that Kelvin Sampson can do at Houston (which reminds me a little of the Purdue defense in 2010 with Kramer and the Baby Boilers), but what Painter has done is figured out a defense (and offense) that fits his personnel.

The reason to be a contrarian is that there are values to be had. Neither Edey nor Smith was highly recruited because they don’t fit the prototype that most coaches seem to be looking for these days. Purdue can’t do the things defensively with this team that Kelvin Sampson can do at Houston (which reminds me a little of the Purdue defense in 2010 with Kramer and the Baby Boilers), but what Painter has done is figured out a defense (and offense) that fits his personnel.
Absolutely! Purdue is where it is because of 5 man play. When people were shying away from big 5s Matt had little competition to land them and as a result got those unicorns that could do some things well and featured that talent. Over time it resulted in improved talent and rankings. Today, Purdue is much better known that I think they would have been fighting over the same players and we know how that worked out in the past. Today, Matt is now getting more of the players of his first choice because Purdue now is viewed as a great program that is getting better. THAT contrarian view now has Purdue a place to be for 5s that is extending to guards as well. That contrarian view has him using more off ball screens than most programs or "modern offense" programs.

With more talent, Matt can be even more versatile. Course that contrarian view is sometimes called something other than "modern" offense where dribble drive, one on one reign supreme

And with a 45 Second Clock, that extra time of being beaten on takes its toll and players are less likely to return for fear of injuries. I do agree with your point though.

Reactions: Schnelk
And with a 45 Second Clock, that extra time of being beaten on takes its toll and players are less likely to return for fear of injuries. I do agree with your point though.
Actually I think slowing the game down allows the refs to see more of what is going on. When it is quick and so many things are happening in a few seconds the refs have too many things to watch in the short time frame and it is over before they call anything. isolation of the event by creating the focal point of view for a longer duration while having less movement on a shorter duration points those eyes on the movement happening.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
That was a satirical baiting question.

Excellent question.

I think you try to have some class balance, but with the portal it changes that dramatically. You can fill a "need" so much easier now and can do it quickly. I think the top programs just load up with the best talent they can get almost regardless of position and then fill in where needed on a year to year basis.

It's why I don't get upset or worry when/if CMP over signs. Just get the talent and as many of them as possible. It will sort itself out and use the portal for individual needs.
Perfect answer

Absolutely! Purdue is where it is because of 5 man play. When people were shying away from big 5s Matt had little competition to land them and as a result got those unicorns that could do some things well and featured that talent. Over time it resulted in improved talent and rankings. Today, Purdue is much better known that I think they would have been fighting over the same players and we know how that worked out in the past. Today, Matt is now getting more of the players of his first choice because Purdue now is viewed as a great program that is getting better. THAT contrarian view now has Purdue a place to be for 5s that is extending to guards as well. That contrarian view has him using more off ball screens than most programs or "modern offense" programs.

With more talent, Matt can be even more versatile. Course that contrarian view is sometimes called something other than "modern" offense where dribble drive, one on one reign supreme
Having watched Arkansas, Minnesota and Maryland today - thank god we have a structured offense that produces open shots!

Actually I think slowing the game down allows the refs to see more of what is going on. When it is quick and so many things are happening in a few seconds the refs have too many things to watch in the short time frame and it is over before they call anything. isolation of the event by creating the focal point of view for a longer duration while having less movement on a shorter duration points those eyes on the movement happening.
Absolutely - just ask some HS refs what their biggest challenge is - I know they'd say the speed of the game.

Reactions: tjreese and Schnelk
Yeah Heide is a year ahead of Colvin and looks great. Excited to see his jump next year. Colvin is pretty young for a Frosh…I expect to see Colvin take a jump and show off that sweet jump shot and wow us with that nba level athleticism next year.
Keep in mind that Heide is more than 2 years older than Colvin.

NBA guys pay attention to that.

Good write up on Steven Reynolds. He states he isn’t a Purdue lean because of his sisters.

Sounds like he is Purdue's if there is a spot for some time and Purdue is still good. He wants to continue to be recruited, treated well and hear what other coaches say. No rush to hurry. Has to be tough to tell the coaches no that have a long relationship with you

Last edited:
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Sounds like he is Purdue's if there is a spot for some time and Purdue is still good. He wants to continue to be recruited, treated well and here what other coaches say. No rush to hurry. Has to be tough to tell the coaches no that have a long relationship with you
looks a little better than G. Sularski

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT