ADVERTISEMENT

Eastern breaking ankles and throwing it down

I wouldn't be surprised to see a triple double here and there... that said, I don't think there have been many, if any, over the past few decades at Purdue. But he should have rebounding advantage against most guards given his height and weight. He's supposed to be a unselfish and a great passer, which should help assists. And he doesn't seem to be afraid to score either. I'm not saying LeBron triple doubles of 40, 12 and 10, but I think he might have as good a chance as there's been in a long time at Purdue.

Going to be fun to watch the team this year.

That big PG is damn quick. Now let's critique the D. Cline was way too far off and outside that dribble hand off from Mathias and Carsen was too deep in the paint and way late to provide any help.:D

That was the first (but not the last) Nojel!

giphy.gif

I wouldn't be surprised to see a triple double here and there... that said, I don't think there have been many, if any, over the past few decades at Purdue. But he should have rebounding advantage against most guards given his height and weight. He's supposed to be a unselfish and a great passer, which should help assists. And he doesn't seem to be afraid to score either. I'm not saying LeBron triple doubles of 40, 12 and 10, but I think he might have as good a chance as there's been in a long time at Purdue.

Going to be fun to watch the team this year.

Just one....JBC (1977).....16/16/11, and the 11 were Blocks.

Reactions: punaj
That big PG is damn quick. Now let's critique the D. Cline was way too far off and outside that dribble hand off from Mathias and Carsen was too deep in the paint and way late to provide any help.:D

If anything, what you notice here is what CMP truly needs in his offense. A player with the ability to take the pass off the wing on his motion offense and read when the defense is over playing the rotation at the top. When that occurs, that player is able to drive in to the lane and get to the rim. When having Mathias, Edwards, Eastern, and Vince on the floor at the same time paired with one of our bigs...gives Purdue four capable outside shooters along with three of those who have the ability to put the ball on the floor (Vince, Edwards, Eastern) along with a big. It wouldn't surprise me to see Purdue lead the B1G in average scoring per game this season.

As you saw in the video, if a team overplays the rotation on the arc..CMP has the players who can create off the dribble to make that over rotation hurt (previous three along with Wheeler). This inevitably allows players who can shoot from the outside to have more open looks. This also gives Haas an ability to have less double teams because if a double comes, those players can more effectively dive to the lane OR dish to Haas when the rotation occurs to stop a drive.

yeah it was as though Cline was trying to keep him from going to the side and opening up the lane...maybe another (Carsen?) was suppose to form that V in a trap and was late getting there...nah, Ryan just got outquicked

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
Cline wasn't simply out-quicked. If you watch carefully, Eastern gave a little fake to his left, which Cline fell for it, and then quickly turn to his right and drove down the lane. Very impressive. Cline isn't as big a defense hole as some here thinks. Eastern was just that good this time.

Nice move.

Weak side help was lacking--and that's not Carsen. Big dunk. They won't come that easy come Big Ten season.

yeah it was as though Cline was trying to keep him from going to the side and opening up the lane...maybe another (Carsen?) was suppose to form that V in a trap and was late getting there...nah, Ryan just got outquicked
What I thought was funny was Painters face. He was not happy with how it was defended and was searching for calm. Eastern did do a good job taking advantage of the mistakes and that is what offense boils down to...create mistakes by the D and attack it!

What I thought was funny was Painters face. He was not happy with how it was defended and was searching for calm. Eastern did do a good job taking advantage of the mistakes and that is what offense boils down to...create mistakes by the D and attack it!

On the flip side, CMP should have been a little pleased that Nojel sure did MOVE!

Cline wasn't simply out-quicked. If you watch carefully, Eastern gave a little fake to his left, which Cline fell for it, and then quickly turn to his right and drove down the lane. Very impressive. Cline isn't as big a defense hole as some here thinks. Eastern was just that good this time.

then he was too quick! Had he not been quick enough to go for the fake he would have been in better position. Experienced it before myself... :) Seriously, I haven't watched the video with study to really have an opinion or see the actual spacing of others. If anticipation or a fake to the sideline that Cline went for that opened up hte middle, that may be why Matt was perplexed. Purdue does not turn people inside typically, but plays them more straight up until they can push to the sideline...or in some cases away from ball screens that I didn't see either. Perhaps Ryan though a screen was coming and was attempting to force away from a screen that didn't exist?

then he was too quick! Had he not been quick enough to go for the fake he would have been in better position. Experienced it before myself... :) Seriously, I haven't watched the video with study to really have an opinion or see the actual spacing of others. If anticipation or a fake to the sideline that Cline went for that opened up hte middle, that may be why Matt was perplexed. Purdue does not turn people inside typically, but plays them more straight up until they can push to the sideline...or in some cases away from ball screens that I didn't see either. Perhaps Ryan though a screen was coming and was attempting to force away from a screen that didn't exist?
Could be as we don't have a wide shot to see what was happening to clines right.

Reactions: tjreese

Little bit different angle of the aforementioned dunk by Eastern *20 second mark
Is 5 Eden Ewing. He looks like a player to me...based on a couple of 1 second snippets of video:). No seriously, he shows speed, leaping ability, and body control that are impressive particularly for a 6'7" ish fellow. Why are ant the game tonight:mad:?

Reactions: punaj
Is 5 Eden Ewing. He looks like a player to me...based on a couple of 1 second snippets of video:). No seriously, he shows speed, leaping ability, and body control that are impressive particularly for a 6'7" ish fellow. Why are ant the game tonight:mad:?
That is Eden. Believe he is closer to 6'9

Reactions: mathboy
Nojel played in a very competitive Basketball Conference in Illinois, played 4A which is for the largest of schools, played against D1 players from the Chicago Public League, along with very tough Christmas Tournaments. Played AAU Ball as well, I know it isn't playing against College kids but he did play against really good players and teams. Tough Competition is important.
He is a great young man in a lot of ways, and I believe he will leave his mark on Purdue Basketball as many greats have done also!

PS. I am not a family member and have never met Mr. Eastern, but I sure hope too shake is hand someday! Boiler Up!! Let's Go!!

I told you guys Ewing is going to be great and surprise you! This new batch of recruits is going to make it tough for Painter to keep them off the floor!

Okay but Cline has issues as a defender. He simply isn't quick enough to guard many opposing players.

Okay but Cline has issues as a defender. He simply isn't quick enough to guard many opposing players.

exactly. To take advantage of Cline's shooting ability, we have to change our tempo and slow down the game into a half court offense and defense rather than a risky trap defense and run and gun. if Edwards was a better three point shooter, and V Edwards improved his perimeter shooting, and haarms proved his perimeter shooting was good, and add in PJ and Dakota, how man y 3 point shooters do we need? at that point, we no longer need Cline's outside shooting, and his defense is a liability.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT