ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten tourney, boycott?

Jul 9, 2015
Any reason to play it anymore? Money? Do the players care?
What would happen if Purdue boycotted it this year? No? How about asking the starters if they wanted the next several days off? Seriously, after 20 grueling games, is this thing not decided? Maybe some mediocre catches fire and wins 5 games in 5 days to get in? (I know similar things have happened.) Would the NCAA throw a hissy fit toward us if we declined, and place us, as Big 10 champs, in Memphis to play Memphis St. as has happened before? (1984) Or Big 10 champs and not even invited us to the dance? (1979)
So, what do you think, do we need this tourney...or does it need us? I mean, we're still a #1 even if we go out right away, and if Illinois wins it, they won't be a 1.

I am sure that there would be BT fines or something handed down from the conference, if you don't play in BT sanctioned events. Also, does the NCAA knock us out of a #1 seed for not playing or getting beat in the first game. Again, don't know.

In the NFL combine, some of the top picks did not even take a medical exam. I understand about not wanting to run the 40 and other things. However, not willing to take a medical exam. I swear we have people sitting out everything anymore, if it is not a NC or title game in any sport. The NBA All Star game was a joke. Let's just say it is. It is not for the love of the game anymore. It is not for competition anymore. It is just for money.

Reactions: Ajas0810
I mean shoot, why even play at Illinois or vs. Wisconsin? From your perspective, you already have a share of the title, why play game 19 and 20?
What a great idea! Thanks for thinking of it, Nightman. Gotta protect the starters. Or better yet, maybe we could just do a soft boycott. You know, we could trot out a lineup of Barrett, Martin, Berg, King, and Rayl and run them for 40 minutes without reserves. (TIC)

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Other conferences at least end on a Saturday - the Big Ten wants to be the last championship game before the selection show for ratings only. We need to stay sharp yes but do we really need 3 games in 3 days right before the tourney that counts?

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
Years and years ago before the Big Ten Tourney started, not having one and having the week off was the excuse back then why the Big Ten struggled in the NCAA. Seems some of us have gone through the entire cycle! Similar to the more babies the more babies on welfare cycle beginning to rumble again.

Other conferences at least end on a Saturday - the Big Ten wants to be the last championship game before the selection show for ratings only. We need to stay sharp yes but do we really need 3 games in 3 days right before the tourney that counts?
No.

What would happen if Purdue boycotted it this year? No? How about asking the starters if they wanted the next several days off? Seriously, after 20 grueling games, is this thing not decided? Maybe some mediocre catches fire and wins 5 games in 5 days to get in? (I know similar things have happened.) Would the NCAA throw a hissy fit toward us if we declined, and place us, as Big 10 champs, in Memphis to play Memphis St. as has happened before? (1984) Or Big 10 champs and not even invited us to the dance? (1979)
So, what do you think, do we need this tourney...or does it need us? I mean, we're still a #1 even if we go out right away, and if Illinois wins it, they won't be a 1.
You have to play or you’d probably get a huge fine from the B1G.

But you could give your bench generous minutes, aka load management.

Reactions: pboiler18
Years and years ago before the Big Ten Tourney started, not having one and having the week off was the excuse back then why the Big Ten struggled in the NCAA. Seems some of us have gone through the entire cycle! Similar to the more babies the more babies on welfare cycle beginning to rumble again.
The B1G didn't have a week off when they didn't have a conference tourney. The regular season simply lasted a week longer.

This is a really dumb thread. Yes, the conference tournaments are about money, but the players and coaches absolutely want to win. They are not pissed off that they have to play 3 games in 3 days.

What a great idea! Thanks for thinking of it, Nightman. Gotta protect the starters. Or better yet, maybe we could just do a soft boycott. You know, we could trot out a lineup of Barrett, Martin, Berg, King, and Rayl and run them for 40 minutes without reserves. (TIC)
I actually love this.

Obviously not, but I'd certainly give Heide and Colvin extended minutes in the second half of these games and I would want a minutes limit on my starters.

The BTT isn't worth 35 minutes per game three days straight a week before the NCAAs for Edey or Smith for sure.

I totally understand the sentiments expressed here. It was interesting to listen to Hummel's views on the matter. He said the fans and some media( and coaches?) have been asking why have these tournaments anymore, especially in the large conferences. But, he said, the BTT is a huge deal to the players and former players.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
If you are worried about injuries , a lot of them happen in practice or just horsing around. Just ask Big Dog.

Reactions: mean_gene
If you are worried about injuries , a lot of them happen in practice or just horsing around. Just ask Big Dog.
Not injuries Wole, more so guys being worn down and fatigued from playing 35+ for 3 straight days. Also, you could point to the last 3 winners haven’t advanced past the first weekend.

Not injuries Wole, more so guys being worn down and fatigued from playing 35+ for 3 straight days. Also, you could point to the last 3 winners haven’t advanced past the first weekend.
I just can’t believe these guys are all worn out. Isn’t this what they did as high schoolers playing in all those weekend AAU tournaments? Many of them had 4 games in 3 days. And a lot of times, players participated in those AAU tournaments while also playing for their high school team on the same weekend.

I’m just not buying into the fatigue factor.

Haha - maybe Purdue can have a Rube Goldberg jackpot/slot machine.

200w.gif

I just can’t believe these guys are all worn out. Isn’t this what they did as high schoolers playing in all those weekend AAU tournaments? Many of them had 4 games in 3 days. And a lot of times, players participated in those AAU tournaments while also playing for their high school team on the same weekend.

I’m just not buying into the fatigue factor.
Whole different level of competition my friend. And guys playing a whole lot harder than aau ball

Whole different level of competition my friend. And guys playing a whole lot harder than aau ball
I disagree. Have you watched Michigan lately? last I heard they are still in the big 10. Howard is coaching them just like an AAU team. When they want to play and show up to play, they do well. A game is a game. Some players take it seriously and go all out. Some players don’t. Look at the Golden st warriors . Some would call them real men! Many times they just go through the motions and exert zero energy.

Each game is an unknown. One game could be very exhausting. But it might not be. Those players who give 120% typically give that same amount in every game. Unless there’s an injury, I don’t really see any player suffering from fatigue and being worn out.

Something we don’t talk about much is that many players suffered fatigue and were worn out at the beginning of the year and really haven’t changed during the course of the year. They are no more fatigued now than they were during the Gonzaga/tenn tournament.

And that’s my stance. Our players are not worn out because it’s been a long season. Some players get worn out after just one game.

By the time Purdue plays in the B1g Tournament, they will have played 9 games in February and March (44 days).

5 games at home with road trips to OSU, Michigan, Wisc and Illinois.

No excuse for tired legs this year unless Painter's killing them in practice ;)

Some people say players need to play a few games to build up their stamina. Then they say they played too many games and no longer have any stamina.

Kobe snd LeBron and many other 18 and 19 year olds had no problem playing an 82 NBA game schedule. I guess they were just going through the motions or were taking supplements?

Some players have the energy and stamina and some don’t.

Some players are injury prone while others are not. For an example. Look at the Packers! None of their hamstring issues were caused by contact or by playing in a real game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT