ADVERTISEMENT

Drop to 2 Seed

pubill

Sophomore
Jan 2, 2021
With UCLA's win last nite, they supposedly go around us and take the 4th #1 Seed. Unless we win the BTT, it looks like our ceiling is a 2.

Might not be the worst thing in the world, especially if it keeps Purdue closer to home. Hard to argue with UCLA getting a #1 after last night. Purdue hasn't beaten a top-10 team since Thanksgiving weekend.

Reactions: Schnelk
It may take some pressure of of being a #1 seed, so I don't mind a #2 seed.

Still, the goal should always be the #1 seed as it is an acknowledgement of the teams' performance.

Personally, I think the at home IU loss and the fall at NWU hurt our chances as a #1 seed.

Well I'll trade a projected number 1 seed for a. Making 38-40% of our 3's b. Making a high % of foul shots.
That combo with the Big Maple 🍁 we "Be In" the FF, vs projections.
Agree w what you're saying, and a few weeks ago thought around 35-38% as well for a potential threshold

However, now thinking 33%-35% could get it done. Purdue currently is ranked 256th in 3pt percentage out of the D1 teams at a very pedestrian 32.7% for the year.

Hopefully they can stay out of those hideous percentages in the 20s we've seen at times for the rest of the year. If they do get hot and are draining them at 38%+....whoa, look out!!

Reactions: Boiler8285
Lunardi on ESPN lowered us to 2 and put UCLA on 1 right after their game last nite and he is usually right on the committee.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Lunardi on ESPN lowered us to 2 and put UCLA on 1 right after their game last nite and he is usually right on the committee.
Not necessarily. He has been known to change things at the last minute, possibly from leaks.

Not necessarily. He has been known to change things at the last minute, possibly from leaks.

He sometimes misses on a seed or two and the region, but he usually gets the field almost down to within one or two. Of course, I agree, some of this is like the 'ol switch with the crystal ball at one second before midnight. :)

All major brackets except ESPN (shocking they would move UCLA) still have us as the 1.

Beating a not great Arizona team at home just meant they held serve as Arizona beat them earlier. They have no other marquee wins at all. Look it up if you don’t believe me.

Our resume is way better. Beat #6 Marquette (better than any win they have). Won against #10 (Gonzaga) on a neutral court. Beat Duke on a neutral. The only thing they have an advantage over us is their NET is slightly higher (4 to 5). We are stronger in every other way - SoS Quad 1 record etc.

Heck, assuming we win today, we will even have H2H after today.,… They lost to Illinois and beat Maryland, or 1-1.

The matrix literally just updated with 15 brackets updated including last night's games. 8 have UCLA a #1, 7 have Purdue.

FWIW.

Edit: One actually dropped Houston to a 2. So 9 1s for UCLA, 7 for Purdue.

Interesting is the pod sites. I brought it up in another thread. It's going to be tough to place everyone. I just did it quickly using the top 16 in the matrix. I ended up with Gonzaga going east because the west pods will go to both Pac 12 teams and 2 Big 12 teams. I sent Houston to Birmingham. Marquette to Des Moines with Kansas. Texas and Baylor to Denver. The other Columbus group led by a coin-flip between Xavier and Indiana.

We have effectively 3 "Southeast" pods in Greensboro, Birmingham and Orlando, with the ACC not being strong at all.

With UCLA's win last nite, they supposedly go around us and take the 4th #1 Seed. Unless we win the BTT, it looks like our ceiling is a 2.
Still games to be played.....ucla continues winning though plus Pac 12 tourney....they deserve over us! Still have both of us in same bracket!

Reactions: DenverBoiler
I am fine with a 2 seed in the south with the regional being in Louisville or a #1 out west in Vegas (I think?). Either option is acceptable.

I am fine with a 2 seed in the south with the regional being in Louisville or a #1 out west in Vegas (I think?). Either option is acceptable.

I don’t like the timezone shift to Vegas. It seems like we haven’t done as well traveling out West in the past

Lowest is a 2, Purdue if they hold on here and if they make the Big Ten title game has a good shot at a 1.

Kind of hope we get a chance to get revenge on Indiana in the B1G semi-finals fir another quality win and to exorcise our demons. Not sure if the seeding works for that though.

Kind of hope we get a chance to get revenge on Indiana in the B1G semi-finals fir another quality win and to exorcise our demons. Not sure if the seeding works for that though.

Assuming Indiana beats Michigan and Iowa beats Nebraska (Hawkeyes are up four with about 10 minutes left), it's looking like then it will be determined from NW/Rutgers. IF Rutgers wins, Indiana would likely be the #3-seed in the bottom of the BTT bracket. IF NW wins, I think Indiana would be the #4.

But who knows how these last few games will go? Been crazy all year.

Assuming Indiana beats Michigan and Iowa beats Nebraska (Hawkeyes are up four with about 10 minutes left), it's looking like then it will be determined from NW/Rutgers. IF Rutgers wins, Indiana would likely be the #3-seed in the bottom of the BTT bracket. IF NW wins, I think Indiana would be the #4.

But who knows how these last few games will go? Been crazy all year.
Correct because NW and Iowa both swept IU.

Saw where UCLA might have lost a guy who is supposed to be the best defender in the country and I believe avgs.around 14 a game.Might be a huge loss for them if true.

Reactions: depthcharge623
If that’s the case, wouldn’t the committee take it into account in seeding? I seem to remember thinking they took Hummel being out into account when seeding us the year he tore his ACL because we were not the same team without him.

Reactions: DenverBoiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT