ADVERTISEMENT

Drop to 2 Seed

If that’s the case, wouldn’t the committee take it into account in seeding? I seem to remember thinking they took Hummel being out into account when seeding us the year he tore his ACL because we were not the same team without him.

There was precedent for that - not sure if it still applies. Also happened with top-ranked Cincinnati the year Kenyon Martin was injured in the conference tournament.

There was precedent for that - not sure if it still applies. Also happened with top-ranked Cincinnati the year Kenyon Martin was injured in the conference tournament.
Didn’t Boeheim conceal/lie about the severity of an injury right before Selection Sunday, in order to avoid a worse seed?

They're even in play for the 3!!!

Looks like top four BTT seeds will be:

If Rutgers defeats Northwestern:

Purdue
Indiana
Michigan State
Iowa

Otherwise: Purdue, Northwestern, Indiana, and Michigan State.

Northwestern is either the #2 or #9.....wow. Tie-breakers get complicated. Looks like Purdue will get either Rutgers/Northwestern winner or Rutgers/Michigan winner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chi-Boiler
It still applies but it's a case-by-case thing. Committee has to take whatever information they can get to judge the team.

I think in this case it won't mean anything. He's a good player but is not a starter.

It still applies but it's a case-by-case thing. Committee has to take whatever information they can get to judge the team.

I think in this case it won't mean anything. He's a good player but is not a starter.

The poster who brought it up in this thread said he is “supposed to be the best defender in the country,” and “averages 14 ppg.” Starter or not that would be a huge loss if those things are true…

Here is an update on the player, Jalen Clark. He is having an MRI tomorrow. Here is hoping it is negative and he can play by tournament time or at least by second weekend.

Anyway,

He is in a boot. Unspecified injury however.

Here is a tidbit from the article I found interesting regarding his impact:
….”The Purdue Boilermakers, Marquette Golden Eagles and Baylor Bears took the next three spots below the Bruins. Though UCLA fell in a five-point loss to the Bears in November, Clark managed to notch a double-double with 23 points and 10 rebounds.”

Sucks for him and their team. I hope he is ok.

Didn’t Boeheim conceal/lie about the severity of an injury right before Selection Sunday, in order to avoid a worse seed?
Yep, he did, lied TWICE about two different guys, two different years. Said they were day-to-day and then after the seedings were announced, they admitted that both guys were out for the rest of the season. Slimeball, but the committee should've known better than to believe him the second time around.

Reactions: Schnelk
Honestly can’t say I wouldn’t do the same in his position (lying about an injured player to get a better seed).

Back to Decoursey, I don't know if anyone heard his comments on the BTN wrap-up show tonight. I just caught a re-run. He hedged a bit about Purdue vs UCLA, almost like he got some flak for making the flip and needed to respond. He commented that not all Quad 1 wins are the same. Purdue has 9, UCLA has 8. But Purdue has 9 wins against teams in his current field (I think the number he said was 9). UCLA only has 4. That sounds pretty telling, but you can't take it all at face value. Maybe Decoursey has Penn State and/or Wisconsin in his field and USC/Arizona State out. But what it does is make you think about looking at more than just the numbers.

Yep. And most people would do the same, but they make themselves feel better by lying to themselves and projecting.
Yeah that’s a definite gray area.

As a Purdue fan, I loved Brohm’s “F you, you don’t need to know” attitude towards the media’s injury questions, but is it really any different from what Boeheim did ?

And where does the student athletes’ right to privacy factor in?

Reactions: boilernuke
Well I'll trade a projected number 1 seed for a. Making 38-40% of our 3's b. Making a high % of foul shots.
That combo with the Big Maple 🍁 we "Be In" the FF, vs projections.
or making it difficult enough that the opposition doesn't go off hitting the 3 ball so the inside play is the difference... ;)

He sometimes misses on a seed or two and the region, but he usually gets the field almost down to within one or two. Of course, I agree, some of this is like the 'ol switch with the crystal ball at one second before midnight. :)
He's also not in the Top 75 of bracketologist. But it's splitting hairs with a lot of bracketology. Purdue, UCLA and Texas will be fighting for that last 1 seed IMO and the Top 2 seed. But... Past Friday night, the committee essentially doesn't change anything. Purdue can win the BTT and not move. Which is the Big Ten fault for having the BTT so late. 1 and 2 seeds are about locked. I'm thinking
1. Kansas
2. Alabama
3. Houston
4. UCLA
5. Purdue
6. Texas
7. Arizona
8. Marquette

Reactions: Do Dah Day
He's also not in the Top 75 of bracketologist. But it's splitting hairs with a lot of bracketology. Purdue, UCLA and Texas will be fighting for that last 1 seed IMO and the Top 2 seed. But... Past Friday night, the committee essentially doesn't change anything. Purdue can win the BTT and not move. Which is the Big Ten fault for having the BTT so late. 1 and 2 seeds are about locked. I'm thinking
1. Kansas
2. Alabama
3. Houston
4. UCLA
5. Purdue
6. Texas
7. Arizona
8. Marquette
If Purdue wins the BTT, I will be surprised if they don’t move back to a #1. Someone above them will lose in all likelihood.

If Purdue wins the BTT, I will be surprised if they don’t move back to a #1. Someone above them will lose in all likelihood.
You'd think so, but the committee will have the bracket done before the B1G Title game is even finished. Didn't work for Michigan State a few ago either. That's the Big Tens fault. Saturday and Sunday wont end up having really any impact on seeding. They'll just make the B1G money.

You'd think so, but the committee will have the bracket done before the B1G Title game is even finished. Didn't work for Michigan State a few ago either. That's the Big Tens fault. Saturday and Sunday wont end up having really any impact on seeding. They'll just make the B1G money.
The SEC championship game is at 1pm. The PAC 12 and Big 12 championship games are Saturday night. Upsets can happen in the earlier rounds. There is plenty of time for one of the first round teams to slip. None of them have clearly separated themselves.

The SEC championship game is at 1pm. The PAC 12 and Big 12 championship games are Saturday night. Upsets can happen in the earlier rounds. There is plenty of time for one of the first round teams to slip. None of them have clearly separated themselves.
Of course upsets can happen early, but the point was about Sunday not mattering. For the most part, that is true.

So if we end up as the "weakest" #1 seed out west we should have the strongest #2 seed in our bracket. Isn't that the conventional wisdom?

So we would be bracketed out west with UCLA as our #2 it appears right now. If we play them it would be a. chance to settle this debate and they would be without one of their better players with Clark out.

Interesting possibility, no?

So if we end up as the "weakest" #1 seed out west we should have the strongest #2 seed in our bracket. Isn't that the conventional wisdom?
It is not. Geography means more than making the S-Curve perfect. I guarantee that if we are a 2-seed we will be in Louisville.

The committee strives for S-curve balance for the top 4 seeds in each region.

It is not. Geography means more than making the S-Curve perfect. I guarantee that if we are a 2-seed we will be in Louisville.

The committee strives for S-curve balance for the top 4 seeds in each region.

I guess Houston would get the West as a 1 seed and we would get the East if we are a 1. Then Kansas gets Midwest and Alabama gets South.

So who would be the 2 out East? Seems like all the current 2 seeds would want West or Midwest.

UCLA would def get the West, Texas gets Midwest, Baylor gets South, so that gives us Arizona in the East.

So we would be bracketed out west with UCLA as our #2 it appears right now.
I slightly misread your post. If you're talking about Purdue being a 1, there is a possibility that we would go West. Personally, I think it would be East and they would send Kansas or Houston West. But yes, if we end up the #1 out west, UCLA will absolutely be the #2 in the west, but because of geography. Making that jive with the S-curve is coincidence.

The "who will go West" debate is interesting. KU and Houston have very similar distances from NYC and Las Vegas. I'm expecting the committee to send one of them there to make it easier for Purdue with our travel.

I guess Houston would get the West as a 1 seed and we would get the East if we are a 1. Then Kansas gets Midwest and Alabama gets South.

So who would be the 2 out East? Seems like all the current 2 seeds would want West or Midwest.

UCLA would def get the West, Texas gets Midwest, Baylor gets South, so that gives us Arizona in the East.
I'm not sure Baylor is on the 2-line anymore. Might be Marquette actually.

What about Marquette?

I slightly misread your post. If you're talking about Purdue being a 1, there is a possibility that we would go West. Personally, I think it would be East and they would send Kansas or Houston West. But yes, if we end up the #1 out west, UCLA will absolutely be the #2 in the west, but because of geography. Making that jive with the S-curve is coincidence.

The "who will go West" debate is interesting. KU and Houston have very similar distances from NYC and Las Vegas. I'm expecting the committee to send one of them there to make it easier for Purdue with our travel.

Whoever is the lower rated between the two.....right now, I'd say it's still Kansas in the Midwest (for the Kansas City Invitational). I expect Purdue to be #2 in the SOUTH, but there is a chance of #1 in the EAST.....don't really see a scenario right now for Purdue to go out WEST. UCLA had some struggles with Colorado, but I expect they're still right on the edge with Purdue as either #1/#2 - would definitely be in the WEST if on the #2-line.

JMHO - I've sometimes been way off on region selections. :)

Hopefully, our Boilers can win today’s and probably tomorrow’s games, for any of this to matter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT