ADVERTISEMENT

Dravyn Gibbs-Lawhorn on ESPN2

oldboiler52

True Freshman
Jan 5, 2012
Montverde vs IMG today 4/1 . Yesterday he played over half the game he hit 2 long 3's well beyond NBA range shot 3/4 scored 8 his only miss was his easiest shot. He could be a one and done although his size should keep him longer. Freak athlete with a tool bag full of shots. He could reclassify although that is doubtful IMO. Made a pass yesterday about half court between three defenders that was top10 worthy. Dravyn has a lot of game. He could use upper body strength on the defensive side. IMO he is the cream of the crop from the 2022 and 2023 classes. 6th man on this team after getting there mid season with 5 NBA prospects and a lottery pick playing in front of him. Whitehead being the lottery pick he won National player of the year and he deserves it. Dravyn is a day one starter weather this year or next! I expect he will crack top 15 next year if for no other reason than he will be the best player on the best team. Just my opinion watch him and judge for yourself even if he just a role player today.

He had 10 pts unless we are talking about a different game. He isn’t the starting PG, that’s the kid committed to IU. He is quick with his hands and has good overall control. Will be an awesome addition.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and DAG10
I am not very impressed watching him today(Sat). He can't hit a shot and all he does on offense is stand in corner. Don't see explosiveness from him, maybe since he is Junior , he is defering to others and maybe coached that way.

I am not very impressed watching him today(Sat). He can't hit a shot and all he does on offense is stand in corner. Don't see explosiveness from him, maybe since he is Junior , he is defering to others and maybe coached that way.
He’s not playing as a pg with the ball in his hands ever this year, so it’s not a full picture.

I think he looks big-time. Getting minutes as a jr at Monteverde is no joke, though it’s partly a product of Clark being hurt. But he can get his shot off the bounce against a bunch of 5*s

IMO, he’s in a completely different class than Braden Smith.

He’s not playing as a pg with the ball in his hands ever this year, so it’s not a full picture.

I think he looks big-time. Getting minutes as a jr at Monteverde is no joke, though it’s partly a product of Clark being hurt. But he can get his shot off the bounce against a bunch of 5*s

Big time scorer it appears. In head to head Braden picked his pocket cleanly twice in about 2 minutes. He's pretty good, as you'll soon see. ;)

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Big time scorer it appears. In head to head Braden picked his pocket cleanly twice in about 2 minutes. He's pretty good, as you'll soon see. ;)
If Gibbs is an undersized scoring 2, he’s going to need to be paired with a larger guard. Smith may have picked his pocket in the past, but by the time Gibbs is finished with his senior year at Mont he’ll be a much advanced player over when Smith saw him.

Not seeing how him and Smith could be paired.

Reactions: DAG10
If Gibbs is an undersized scoring 2, he’s going to need to be paired with a larger guard. Smith may have picked his pocket in the past, but by the time Gibbs is finished with his senior year at Mont he’ll be a much advanced player over when Smith saw him.

They are both PG’s. They will spilt time equally regardless of who is playing better or who is a better match up.

I certainly don’t know how it will all shake out, but it certainly isn’t a given that they can’t be effective playing together. All depends on matchups. Plenty of teams even in the BIG this year played smaller 2 guards. Brooks, Bohanon just to name a couple.

He plays similar to Carsen Edwards, and, who I immediately thought of when I saw him...like his game and love his athleticism...he and Colvin together in the same backcourt will be special...include Smith and Loyer, and, that is as good a group at the position that Purdue has had in as long as I can remember.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
I certainly don’t know how it will all shake out, but it certainly isn’t a given that they can’t be effective playing together. All depends on matchups. Plenty of teams even in the BIG this year played smaller 2 guards. Brooks, Bohanon just to name a couple.
Smaller 2 guards can work for sure, but usually when paired with a larger back court mate.

Both Bohannon and Brooks were paired with much bigger guards. Iowa tried pairing Bohannon with Toussaint for awhile and it didn’t go well.

Trying to defend with two guys at or under 6’0” is not sustainable.

I wouldn’t judge the kid until he’s playing consistent minutes. He has all the tools to be great but it’s hard to impress the fans eye when you’re stuck playing spot minutes behind upper class men 5*. The teams loaded I believe they have four 5* guys so just getting minutes as a junior after joining the team late is impressive.

Reactions: DAG10 and TX4GB
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT