ADVERTISEMENT

Do we want Western Michigan to lose a game or two?

Summy1

Junior
Jun 17, 2015
Don't want to over think things, but do you think it would be good for Purdue if Western Michigan losses a game or two? Right now they are 7-0 and may not lose a game the rest of the season. If they keep winning, the stock for P.J. Fleck is going to go through the roof.

Ideally yes, but that said elite programs outside of the midwest will not be calling him. He won't be considered for jobs like USC, Texas, LSU or Baylor.

I think our closest competition is honestly Oregon.

Every other job likely to be open just flat out isn't as good. Kentucky? Yeah right. Nobody wants to be second fiddle to that basketball program. Vandy? Nope.

Reactions: IndyRider
It will be interesting. They have Eastern Michigan and Toledo left which are both good teams. They shouldn't have a problem in the MAC championship game. Curious who they will play in the bowl game. Could end up a top ten team.

Don't want to over think things, but do you think it would be good for Purdue if Western Michigan losses a game or two? Right now they are 7-0 and may not lose a game the rest of the season. If they keep winning, the stock for P.J. Fleck is going to go through the roof.

Well - Our last coach lost his last two games prior to coming to Purdue and we know how that worked out.

So that means Darrell Hazell would have had a more successful season as a head coach than the coach you are clamoring for?

His best season prior to this year is 8-5 (7-5 in regular season).

I don't doubt he's a promising young coach, but I don't really get the uber-hype.

Reactions: njm8845
So that means Darrell Hazell would have had a more successful season as a head coach than the coach you are clamoring for?

I don't doubt he's a promising young coach, but I don't really get the uber-hype.
I hear you. This is his 3rd season with the team. Overall wins to losses are okay. I think the main thing is that the man can recruit. He has had some good classes.

True, but don't forget that WMU needs to go on the road & play P5 teams in the non-conf to pay its bills. 2 of the 5 losses in '15 (PJ Fleck's yr 3) were vs #5 MSU and @ #1 OSU. 2 of the 5 losses in '14 (yr 2) were @ Purdue and @ Virginia Tech.

In Fleck's 1st year, WMU was 1-7 in conference. In the 2.5 yrs since, WMU is 15-4 in the MAC. In terms of W-L, I don't see much to complain about.

There's no guarantee PJ would duplicate his success at Purdue, and I do have some concerns about him. However, he's definitely in the group of coaches that are qualified & ready for a job like Purdue, and I'll be very happy if he is announced as the next Purdue HC.

True, but don't forget that WMU needs to go on the road & play P5 teams in the non-conf to pay its bills. 2 of the 5 losses in '15 (PJ Fleck's yr 3) were vs #5 MSU and @ #1 OSU. 2 of the 5 losses in '14 (yr 2) were @ Purdue and @ Virginia Tech.

In Fleck's 1st year, WMU was 1-7 in conference. In the 2.5 yrs since, WMU is 15-4 in the MAC. In terms of W-L, I don't see much to complain about.

There's no guarantee PJ would duplicate his success at Purdue, and I do have some concerns about him. However, he's definitely in the group of coaches that are qualified & ready for a job like Purdue, and I'll be very happy if he is announced as the next Purdue HC.
if Chip continues to have a bad year w/ the 49ers , I could see him going back to Oregon or maybe Frost. With Fleck , you have a proven young coach who can recruit and I believe a coach w / a personality that can attract certain players that over takes some of Purdue's deficientcies. We need someone who is young because this is a total rebuild job. Whomever we get as a coach next year will be a wash record wise with that harder schedule.

I understand the fear about being burned again. We hired an unproven Mac coach and it turned out horribly. One thing that fleck has going for him is that he is a great recruiter.

I understand the fear about being burned again. We hired an unproven Mac coach and it turned out horribly. One thing that fleck has going for him is that he is a great recruiter.

He's a good recruiter - in the MAC. And obviously a MAC coach will not be bringing in top 25 recruiting classes. But he's a great recruiter is a lower level conference. It doesn't necessarily translate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT