ADVERTISEMENT

One seed or two seed?

proudopete

All-American
Jan 26, 2010
Do we want a lower one seed out east or do we want the highest 2 seed in the south?

I know one seeds have been more successful in the past but for me I would prefer a better location and the first two seed may be an easier path to the final four.

I would rather stay away from teams like Alabama, Houston and Kansas at least until the final four.

What is everyone else thinking?

Do we want a lower one seed out east or do we want the highest 2 seed in the south?

I know one seeds have been more successful in the past but for me I would prefer a better location and the first two seed may be an easier path to the final four.

I would rather stay away from teams like Alabama, Houston and Kansas at least until the final four.

Houston is weak as hell. Would invite that. Alabama will get blackballed.

Speaking of Alabama, they play at South Carolina tmr. Should be an interesting environment provided anyone goes to SC games.

Win the rest of our games up to the B1G Championship, and they will be a 1 seed in the South. I just feel Alabama will falter. one way or another.
Even if we win out, I don't know that we're a lock for a #1 seed.

I think it's very likely that Kansas jumps up into a #1 given their Q1 wins.

Houston isn't going anywhere cuz their conference is significantly weaker and they win out.

It's gonna come down to how well Bama and UCLA finish

Houston isn't going anywhere cuz their conference is significantly weaker and they win out.

We're a lock for a one seed if we win out. We have a significantly better resume than both UCLA and Houston...

Kansas is already a #1 seed, along with Houston, Bama, and Purdue, per the early bracket reveal. Obviously if Purdue wins out they're a 1 seed. The question is, will one more loss knock them out of the 1-line? Two more losses almost definitely would unless other teams falter badly late too. Three more losses probably sends them to the 3-line.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Match-ups and location might matter more than seed. A #2 seed with favorable location and match-ups is preferable to a #1 seed with unfavorable match-ups and location.

Match-ups and location might matter more than seed. A #2 seed with favorable location and match-ups is preferable to a #1 seed with unfavorable match-ups and location.
The only real issue would be a potential Sweet 16 games against Duke or UConn if it were in MSG. Those 2 have such incredible followings in NYC. Duke might not be strong enough to be a 5 seed though at this point. UConn is a classic 4/5.

Every year with this. Higher seed. Thread over. Bump it next year.
Amen. Every year I post the stats showing the seed numbers and teams to win it all. It's not even close. You want the #1 seed, period.

Brackets bust (as we know) what doesn't change is that the #1 seed has the best chance to win a title and it's not close. Since 64 team field #1 seeds have won 65% of the time. #2 seeds 14%. We want a #1 seed.

Always take the higher seed. Fewer games and less chance of losing a key player.

We definitely want a 1 and if we win our Final 3 regular season games I think we will be. The committee tends to not use the BTT for seeding purposes - it’s usually a done deal by then. The question I have is do we really want to be playing a game on selection Sunday or have an extra day or two of rest?

I think Purdues 1 seed will have a lot to do with Kansas and Texas.
We win the rest of the regular season games and the 1st game we play in BTT and we are a #1. Texas won't pass us and Kansas is already a #1.

If we lose at WI, then I agree that Texas could be in play depending on how they finish.

We win the rest of the regular season games and the 1st game we play in BTT and we are a #1. Texas won't pass us and Kansas is already a #1.

If we lose at WI, then I agree that Texas could be in play depending on how they finish.
If Texas wins out, they'll pass Purdue. They'll run past Purdue. They still have at Baylor, at TCU and Kansas. They win those, they are a 1 seed.

If Texas wins out, they'll pass Purdue. They'll run past Purdue. They still have at Baylor, at TCU and Kansas. They win those, they are a 1 seed.
Quad 1 wins all count the same. Even if they win out (which I don't think they will) and we win out, we'll stay #1 seed

We definitely want a 1 and if we win our Final 3 regular season games I think we will be. The committee tends to not use the BTT for seeding purposes - it’s usually a done deal by then. The question I have is do we really want to be playing a game on selection Sunday or have an extra day or two of rest?
Our first tournament game will be Friday in Columbus. Not too worried about playing on Sunday in Chicago.

Quad 1 wins all count the same. Even if they win out (which I don't think they will) and we win out, we'll stay #1 seed
Quads are sitting tools. They get broken down from there. A win over #1 has more weight than a win over #30.

You're confusing the Team Value Index part of the Net with Quad 1 wins. There is only one definition of a quad 1 win. There are no further break downs of it.

The TVI is where there are differences in who you beat.

Joe has indicating otherwise on multiple occasions.
Joe also a mid tier bracketologist. The committee sorts through things further. It is just made easier to sort through with the quad system. And when splitting hairs, gotta dive deeper.

Our first tournament game will be Friday in Columbus. Not too worried about playing on Sunday in Chicago.
Yep I know but why does the Big Ten continue to be the last game before the selection show? Not saying it’s the reason, but it certainly hasn’t helped the conference win a championship for how many years now? My point is if the Tourney doesn’t even matter for seeding do we really want three extra games at that point?

And if you look at Purdue vs Texas if both win out the regular season... Purdue would be 11-4 vs Q1 and Texas would be 12-3.
You may be right, I disagree that Texas would knock us off the 1 line, but we'll see how it plays out.

ADVERTISEMENT