ADVERTISEMENT

One seed or two seed?

And if you look at Purdue vs Texas if both win out the regular season... Purdue would be 11-4 vs Q1 and Texas would be 12-3.
Texas is currently 9-6 in Q1, where did their other 3 losses go? Regardless a team with 1 more win vs. Q1 vs. 2 more losses (27-4 for PU, 25-6 for UT) likely won't pass us. KU and UT have to play twice for one of them to win out, so one or the other would have 7 losses on the season. With comparable Q1 wins, as long as PU doesn't pick up a Q2 L @ wisky (borderline so could become Q1 if they win), or in the B1G tourney we likely lock in a 1 seed even if we drop 1 more game.

Reactions: depthcharge623
Texas is currently 9-6 in Q1, where did their other 3 losses go? Regardless a team with 1 more win vs. Q1 vs. 2 more losses (27-4 for PU, 25-6 for UT) likely won't pass us. KU and UT have to play twice for one of them to win out, so one or the other would have 7 losses on the season. With comparable Q1 wins, as long as PU doesn't pick up a Q2 L @ wisky (borderline so could become Q1 if they win), or in the B1G tourney we likely lock in a 1 seed even if we drop 1 more game.
Oh my bad. Just mixed up numbers. Either way, 12-6 Q1 is enough to get a one seed this year. Question would be whether they get it over Purdue or Kansas.

Oh my bad. Just mixed up numbers. Either way, 12-6 Q1 is enough to get a one seed this year. Question would be whether they get it over Purdue or Kansas.
You keep saying PU or Kansas. Houston is more likely to get knocked off the #1 seed line. Their resume isn't as good as any of the teams we are talking about. They have a grand total of 4 games played against quad 1 and they lost one of those. They also have a quad 3 loss. They have 3 games left a quad 4, and quad 3 and quad 1 (39) Memphis.

It's ridiculous that they are even in the conversation for a 1 seed. Their schedule is a joke.

You keep saying PU or Kansas. Houston is more likely to get knocked off the #1 seed line. Their resume isn't as good as any of the teams we are talking about. They have a grand total of 4 games played against quad 1 and they lost one of those. They also have a quad 3 loss. They have 3 games left a quad 4, and quad 3 and quad 1 (39) Memphis.

It's ridiculous that they are even in the conversation for a 1 seed. Their schedule is a joke.
Houston isn't getting knocked off unless they lose. It was always the same with Gonzaga. Only way a team in a bad conference like that is getting knocked off the 1 line is by losing. It's almost become a rule for the committee at this point. They are a lock for a 1 seed. Bama is close to a lock. Purdue and Kansas' spots are open to take though. More so than Houston.

Gonzaga in years past is nothing like this case. Gonzaga schedules 7+ Q1 OOC games every year and would win those games. Houston has 3 total Q1 wins with a max of 5 wins if they get lucky and play memphis 2 more times and win.

Every other team in consideration for a 1 seed will be looking at double that by the end of the conference tourneys.

As for TX, only 1 of Kansas and TX can hit the 1 seed line unless everyone else at the top drops multiple games. They have to play each other twice, and someone has to lose those games. No way do they leave out a 5 loss PU or Alabama for a 7 loss TX or Kansas since in those cases the number of Q1 wins will be the same.

Purdue, Kansas, and Alabama are locks unless they colapse in the last 4-5 games and pick up multiple L's, which is actually quite possilbe for all of them considering how they all close out the season. If all three finish out with 1 or less loss to one of the top teams they are staying on the 1 seed line.

Yep I know but why does the Big Ten continue to be the last game before the selection show? Not saying it’s the reason, but it certainly hasn’t helped the conference win a championship for how many years now? My point is if the Tourney doesn’t even matter for seeding do we really want three extra games at that point?
One word, and it rhymes with shunny.

Yep I know but why does the Big Ten continue to be the last game before the selection show? Not saying it’s the reason, but it certainly hasn’t helped the conference win a championship for how many years now? My point is if the Tourney doesn’t even matter for seeding do we really want three extra games at that point?
Unfortunately, it’s just for ratings but agree it wears our teams out. :( Don’t remember the stats for last season, but the 2021 BTT Championship between Illinois and Ohio State was by far the most viewed game of the regular season that year, being just before the Selection Show. Doubt they ever change it. $$$

Houston isn't getting knocked off unless they lose. It was always the same with Gonzaga. Only way a team in a bad conference like that is getting knocked off the 1 line is by losing. It's almost become a rule for the committee at this point. They are a lock for a 1 seed. Bama is close to a lock. Purdue and Kansas' spots are open to take though. More so than Houston.
Simply not true. This is exactly the reason they went to the Net rankings instead of RPI. The AP poll may be like that (win and you stay) but the Net takes a lot more into consideration. Houston, and their poor scheduling can make a difference. While I don't like Gonzaga and their weak conference, as someone else pointed out, at least they schedule a tough non-conference to try and make up for it. Cheater Sampson and his crew at Houston put together a ridiculous schedule for a national title contender. I for one hope and believe that could cost them a seed line.

Simply not true. This is exactly the reason they went to the Net rankings instead of RPI. The AP poll may be like that (win and you stay) but the Net takes a lot more into consideration. Houston, and their poor scheduling can make a difference. While I don't like Gonzaga and their weak conference, as someone else pointed out, at least they schedule a tough non-conference to try and make up for it. Cheater Sampson and his crew at Houston put together a ridiculous schedule for a national title contender. I for one hope and believe that could cost them a seed line.
They've been #1 in the NET practically every day. They must be doing something right.

They've been #1 in the NET practically every day. They must be doing something right.
They are at this point. Unbelievable, but true. My hope is that they will not be able to do any better but others, including PU can keep adding on more quality. If you did a blind resume, nobody would choose them over the other top 4 or 5 teams.

5 total quad one games on their schedule so far. Other top teams have 12-18 with more coming. They also have 10 quad 4 games with at least one more coming. No other top team has more than 6. Lastly, they lost a quad 3 game. No other top team did that. Not trying to convince you, just pointing out the facts and hoping that the committee will recognize it and factor it in.

Right now what it says is beat a lot of quad 2 and quad 4 teams and schedule as few quad 1's as you can. I'm hoping that doesn't end up being the formula that works.

They are at this point. Unbelievable, but true. My hope is that they will not be able to do any better but others, including PU can keep adding on more quality. If you did a blind resume, nobody would choose them over the other top 4 or 5 teams.

5 total quad one games on their schedule so far. Other top teams have 12-18 with more coming. They also have 10 quad 4 games with at least one more coming. No other top team has more than 6. Lastly, they lost a quad 3 game. No other top team did that. Not trying to convince you, just pointing out the facts and hoping that the committee will recognize it and factor it in.

Right now what it says is beat a lot of quad 2 and quad 4 teams and schedule as few quad 1's as you can. I'm hoping that doesn't end up being the formula that works.
Just how it be. Win and you'll be up at the top. They have a loss to Alabama and Temple. Outside of that not much. A win over Virginia and Saint Mary's. And their win over Oral Roberts is looking pretty good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT