ADVERTISEMENT

Dickinson

Hopefully the kid has someone older and wiser in his life who isn’t afraid to speak truth to him… that this is not a good look. Nor is it good for his “brand”.
The trouble with a lot of kids today is that the parents, family friends, etc. are as big of "Yes men" as anyone, and have been telling them for years that they are the greatest, they are always right, don't tell them no, etc. The older influences in their lives are too many times living their lives through these kids.

Agree but these kids are nobodies without the University to bolster their brand/image. He clearly doesn't think so.

You have to start building that before you get to college, pick an elite school with a better TV deal, or bet on yourself blowing up at a small school(Ja Morant). Gun to my head, I couldn't tell you what school Ja went to because he was the university. How many times have they been on primetime? How many times are they on SportsCenter? If NIL was around when he was there, they would have begged him to use the school logo and colors.

Unless Hunter becomes Anthony Davis reincarnation overnight, he will never be bigger than Michgan.
Of course, you're right. He should see how much his NIL is worth playing at Bellarmine (for example). In fact, anything he does make off of his own actual NIL is more than he would make if he didn't attend a university. So, he's already piggy-backing off of the school's reputation and prominence even now. Now, he's just insisting that the university should allow him to use their trademarked materials to help him make even more. If he thinks his NIL s worth that much then he should just jump to the NBA and be done with it.

The sense of entitlement never ceases to amaze.

The trouble with a lot of kids today is that the parents, family friends, etc. are as big of "Yes men" as anyone, and have been telling them for years that they are the greatest, they are always right, don't tell them no, etc. The older influences in their lives are too many times living their lives through these kids.
And Mom and Dad (if he's in the picture) are often competing for affection instead of working as a team

Reactions: purduepat1969
Of course, you're right. He should see how much his NIL is worth playing at Bellarmine (for example). In fact, anything he does make off of his own actual NIL is more than he would make if he didn't attend a university. So, he's already piggy-backing off of the school's reputation and prominence even now. Now, he's just insisting that the university should allow him to use their trademarked materials to help him make even more. If he thinks his NIL s worth that much then he should just jump to the NBA and be done with it.

The sense of entitlement never ceases to amaze.
My favorite is Jordan Bohannon, who last year was complaining about being taken advantage of for 5 years as an athlete at Iowa, came back for a 6th year of being taken advantage of.

The thousands and thousands of alumni provide the base of support for these players. Just who do they think is buying this merchandise? A Lebron James shoe will sell no matter the team but a Hunter Dickinson shoe not so much. In fact, I can’t imagine why anyone would buy Hunter Dickinson anything without the Michigan connection.

Reactions: Schnelk
Nothing against Dickinson, but how many guys of his talent would be content with 20 mpg? Purdue is extremely lucky to have not one, but TWO guys like Tre and Zach with their combination of talent and mindset. I’d say 95% of the time one of the two in that same scenario would have transferred after last season.

I don’t think this gets talked about enough, what an outlier it was for both of them to buy in, embrace what is best for the TEAM, and come back and split time. Especially in the age of transfers.
CMP does do
Nothing against Dickinson, but how many guys of his talent would be content with 20 mpg? Purdue is extremely lucky to have not one, but TWO guys like Tre and Zach with their combination of talent and mindset. I’d say 95% of the time one of the two in that same scenario would have transferred after last season.

I don’t think this gets talked about enough, what an outlier it was for both of them to buy in, embrace what is best for the TEAM, and come back and split time. Especially in the age of transfers.
pretty sure this is why CMP does a personality test to make sure that his players have a we personality instead of and I. I think this year shows more than any that he has found not only the right skill set and role players but also the right mindset of guys that only want to win

While I'm no fan of "progressive" ideology I think the more appropriate term to insert here would be "lawyers". They're the driving force behind this because while it's all "in the best interest of student athletes" it only results in lawyers making more $$$$.
Most lawyers are progressive

Reactions: IUhaterade
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT