ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs. Milwaukee take aways

Ill give you one thing Schmedly, you sure do have some hot takes...

Newman shot 50% from the field and scored 16 points. And BTW, that "uncontested" layup resulted in two free throw attempts after he was fouled.

Feel free to get back to your meth production in your trailer on the outskirts of Bloomington...
I agree with you on the pro-Newman stance for sure, but he really should have passed that ball up to Loyer.

Newman shot 50% from the field and scored 16 points. And BTW, that "uncontested" layup resulted in two free throw attempts after he was fouled.

Feel free to get back to your meth production in your trailer on the outskirts of Bloomington...
Schmedly's overall take on Newman was ridiculous, but Newman did have Loyer wide open for an uncontested layup 3-4 steps ahead of him but instead drove to the hoop and got fouled. Had he passed it, Loyer scores an uncontested layup which what the Schmed was saying I think.

I didn't watch the game but the replay where Loyer got the ball and did a quick dribble fake to get his defender in the air to side step for a 3 was pretty. Reminded me of Robbie and his ability to outsmart defenders.

starting at approximately 2:45 of the highlights.....Boom, Baby!

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I made the comment that Morton looked like the worst player on the court from both teams in the early going. Someone said uncoordinated and I would have to agree. He'll be scrappy, he'll play good M2M D, and maybe he'll hit a corner 3 every now and then but I'm not sure I want him playing 20+ minutes a game on this team.

I made the comment that Morton looked like the worst player on the court from both teams in the early going. Someone said uncoordinated and I would have to agree. He'll be scrappy, he'll play good M2M D, and maybe he'll hit a corner 3 every now and then but I'm not sure I want him playing 20+ minutes a game on this team.
I think Morton has a lot of value at playing the point forward position. He would be great at being the third ballhandler after the two guards. He is going to struggle bringing the ball up as the primary ball handler IMO. He plays good defense and is a good three point shooter but he is a low volume guy though. I also agree that he looked bad from a coordination standpoint but I don't recall seeing that last year and am writing that off as just a bad day.

Morton brings a more controlled effort on D and sets effort and intensity. Gives it his all and doesnt foul. Gillis plays hard like him but often is hammering opponents. I'm all for Morton getting the minutes he did night one unless Jenkins is better than expected.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I’ll go Brad Davison and Troy Lewis.
Brad Davidson had trouble dribbling the ball upcourt against pressure, when he was a 5th yr senior, he was mainly a spot up shooter, do NOT see that guy as comparison to Smith at all.

Morton looked good when he was in there with Smith and Loyer in the second half. The first half was jitters for everyone. He made some unselfish passes to setup Loyer. He can keep the opposing team honest if he hits an open 3 from time to time like he did at the start of the second half. He is a little more physical than the other guards on the wing, an Eifert glue guy type.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Brad Davidson had trouble dribbling the ball upcourt against pressure, when he was a 5th yr senior, he was mainly a spot up shooter, do NOT see that guy as comparison to Smith at all.
I was going to say Smith has great handles. Davison was a clutch 3 point shooter. Hopefully Smith can knock down some daggers like he did. Loyer does look like Lewis. Lewis was methodical looking for shots something we saw with Loyer. Loyer might have a little more quickness driving to the hole.

Reactions: buffboiler
BJ Freeman made a great audition for us with 19 points as a freshman. I know we had a couple posts around him in our recruiting threads. I am surprised he wound up there. I think he was in a school in NC when we were scouting him.

Not sure if you saw the start of the second half, but he looked much better. He ended up with 7 points and 6 assists, plus played some good D. He could have been more efficient on his shots. But that box score is just about what you want from him every night. You also have to remember there was no David Jenkins, so Morton was forced to handle the ball more than he probably should.

I'm guessing he'll end up with about 20 minutes a game, especially if Loyer, Smith, and Newman continue what they're doing and Jenkins adds some good backup minutes.

So the dunk went in? Could've fooled me. I thought he shot 2.... my bad

and you have some idiot takes...

If he PASSED THE BALL to the man ahead of him THAT MAN HAD AN UNCONTESTED LAYUP - Did we fail reading comprehension? Geez.........
He dribbled INTO A CONTESTED DUNK ATTEMPT (which he missed) and shot 2, (missed one of those too).
Feel free to do a line of meth off my ASS you pathetic freak.....

More TKR & Newman.

Less of Gillis, & Morton. Fan of their D, hustle & scrappiness, but TKR's quickness, and the production of Newman and TKR eventually should yield them more minutes.

It's to CMP's detriment to not realize this. He likes their D, but TKR & Newman will yield more offense & their D will catch up with floor time & the choice to use positive coaching.

It should be noted TKRs production in less minutes out did Gillis.

And yes, Weber's voice is not game freindly.
There is absolutely no reason Morton should be starting over newman. Honestly, Morton kind of reminds me a smaller eifert, with slightly better handles.

and you have some idiot takes...

If he PASSED THE BALL to the man ahead of him THAT MAN HAD AN UNCONTESTED LAYUP - Did we fail reading comprehension? Geez.........
He dribbled INTO A CONTESTED DUNK ATTEMPT (which he missed) and shot 2, (missed one of those too).
Feel free to do a line of meth off my ASS you pathetic freak.....
Welcome back, level 42/Chris p bacon.

If that happens,that would be rediculous. Dude needs to start over Morton.
I agree and my comment was TIC. I actually like the idea of Newman being on squad 2 because he can truly operate as a scoring guard/wing. That starting crew is focused on “feed the post” and defenses know how to collapse around that. With the second group going small, it opens up avenues where he can get cleaner looks and operate the way we saw him play as a freshman.

I agree and my comment was TIC. I actually like the idea of Newman being on squad 2 because he can truly operate as a scoring guard/wing. That starting crew is focused on “feed the post” and defenses know how to collapse around that. With the second group going small, it opens up avenues where he can get cleaner looks and operate the way we saw him play as a freshman.
This is good insight into what CMP may be thinking, and how he is strategizing around his talent. By the way, I had no problems with Newman taking that shot. If he spent every possession looking for “the most open player” he would hesitate just a hair, allowing his defender to get in position. Newman is in there to score. If he takes a few chances at times, I’m okay with his aggression.

I think a key to our team didn't even play. Jenkins will be our 2nd point guard. I think Morton was forced into the role last night and he is a third option at the point. That said, I can see Smith playing 28-30 minutes a game every game because he is that good and in great physical shape. He even looks in control when he mis-dripples, if that makes sense. He is not scared of anything and will Wow! us as his career goes on. Other than fg shooting rust and some hammer-hands when trying to grab the ball, we did well for the first game. How many times will Zach go 4 of 13?

Totally agree. I am almost 100% positive Jenkins will be an upgrade from Thompson and Hunter as well. Also, I am wondering if Zach almost exerted too much energy on defense. He was a lot better on defense than what he has been the last two seasons for at least this game. I don't see him doing that poorly on offense again.

True.
But imo that starting crew with Morton & Gillis will be subject to slow starts if the post is well defended. We saw that in the last game; and will be a concern going forward. Limited offense in the 3&4.

True.
But imo that starting crew with Morton & Gillis will be subject to slow starts if the post is well defended. We saw that in the last game; and will be a concern going forward. Limited offense in the 3&4.
I agree with you. If that does turn out to be true I think CMP will change up the rotations and maybe get a little more offense in the starting lineup.

1. Zack did not seem to move well around the offensive end. Still abreast on the defensive end.

2. Fletcher looked good shooting the 3.

3. Smith good be special reminds me of Chris Kramer on defense.

4. TKR will be special once he gets better conditioning and begins to exert himself.

5. Team loaded selflessly and made the extra pass for the better shot.

6. Defense could be crazy aggressive but I realize we have stiffer competition to play before we see what it looks like but the foundation is there.

7. The team shot the three fairly well tonight.

8. I like Morton but it scares me when he bring up the ball as I fear he'll get lose the ball to a quicker defender.

9. Team seemed to break the press with ease but will reserve judgement barring a better pressing team.

10. I like Coach Weber being in the press box but that voice is a tad harsh over game.

Bonus: I won't buy a range rover as their commercials are dumb.
TKR - every scoring move was to his right. Hopefully he has some moves to the left. Slow off his feet, not a quick leaper.

Morton is a turnover machine. Had a shot inside the free throw line early, threw the ball out to wing. Bad decision.

Guards cannot finish at the rim.

Newman shot well. Hope it continues.

Edey is incredibly sloooooow.

Gillis needs to be limited to about 15 mins. Furst should get more mins and touches.

I am not 100% concerned with playing time to start the year because Painter will be working through things to get it figured out. If the season starts slipping and he doesn't make big changes, then I will hit the panic button.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT