ADVERTISEMENT

Defense - playing within the system

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
Painter mentioned this as a problem with last year's team. I see there is also a premium article likely on the same topic.

I would have guessed that Ivey was the primary offender, you take the good with the bad with a lottery pick. Were there others?

I would say Ivey was just a symtpom. We really only had maybe 3 good defenders in the rotation last year, EHJ/Gillis/Morton. All fo this is just based on my own (flawed I'm sure) understanding of basketball.

Furst was pretty poor with rotations but he was just a freshman - nothing out of the ordinary really.

Sasha was not a good defender, he didn't kill us defensively but wasn't much of a help either.

Tre was Tre, he could do some awesome things defending the PnR with his insane wingspan but other than that was generally poor as a defender.

Ivey wasn't here to play defense (TIC), he was pretty good on-ball but didn't always focus defensively off-ball.

Edey is an average defender, not the best rim protector but he is still 7'4" and struggles away from the hoop. He is better than Haas was.

I would say Ivey was just a symtpom. We really only had maybe 3 good defenders in the rotation last year, EHJ/Gillis/Morton. All fo this is just based on my own (flawed I'm sure) understanding of basketball.

Furst was pretty poor with rotations but he was just a freshman - nothing out of the ordinary really.

Sasha was not a good defender, he didn't kill us defensively but wasn't much of a help either.

Tre was Tre, he could do some awesome things defending the PnR with his insane wingspan but other than that was generally poor as a defender.

Ivey wasn't here to play defense (TIC), he was pretty good on-ball but didn't always focus defensively off-ball.

Edey is an average defender, not the best rim protector but he is still 7'4" and struggles away from the hoop. He is better than Haas was.
Seems like Sasha was usually in the right place or at least trying to do the right things. He was just too slow to close out effectively on shooters, which led to countless three pointers right over the top of him. Ivey could improvise and take a gamble on making a steal or a block and often be quick enough to recover. But that would throw other players into help mode, which broke down the defense. I think this is more of what Painter was referring to.

It was a problem way too often that needs to be addressed for a successful season. We were okay at times, but maybe only 20% of the time, at the most. That won't win games this year. Last year we were good enough offensively to win like that, but not this year, I suspect.

Seems like Sasha was usually in the right place or at least trying to do the right things. He was just too slow to close out effectively on shooters, which led to countless three pointers right over the top of him. Ivey could improvise and take a gamble on making a steal or a block and often be quick enough to recover. But that would throw other players into help mode, which broke down the defense. I think this is more of what Painter was referring to.

Yeah Sasha tried, I will say that. He was just not good. Ivey definitely relied on his gifts a little too much instead of just being sound, defensively.

There was also the "reactionary" mindset rather than "anticipatory" probably way too much to Painter's liking.....as invariably, all too often, a very good possession of defense went all-for-naught with a second chance rebound or recovery. If I had a nickel for every second/third-chance three Purdue gave up......well, I could probably then afford a premium membership.....haha. :)

There was also the "reactionary" mindset rather than "anticipatory" probably way too much to Painter's liking.....as invariably, all too often, a very good possession of defense went all-for-naught with a second chance rebound or recovery. If I had a nickel for every second/third-chance three Purdue gave up......well, I could probably then afford a premium membership.....haha. :)
Plus we made stars out of normally 20% 3-point shooters. Reminds me of opponent's receivers in football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT