ADVERTISEMENT

DH is #1......

arcb102000

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
....on the Coaches' Hot Seat rankings.

Talk about a cluster$!%&. I am sure that is being brought to the attention of our recruiting targets. It significantly reduces the likelihood things get turned around imo.

I think he will be back next season because of the 6.6 million he will be due

Talk about a cluster$!%&. I am sure that is being brought to the attention of our recruiting targets. It significantly reduces the likelihood things get turned around imo.

Arc, he's not going anywhere unless he man's up and resigns. Burke isn't going to fire him after giving him that contract that is about 10 times what he's worth.

He has been #1 for several weeks
whenever, would like to see Mike Norvell here, his O just put up 38 vs UCLA last week. He's young, hard working, relates to kids, and specializes as a QB coach too.

Arc, he's not going anywhere unless he man's up and resigns. Burke isn't going to fire him after giving him that contract that is about 10 times what he's worth.
Burke will say we are making progress. Since there is not criteria based on concrete items, ie wins or losses, it leaves it to his discretion.

I'm actually surprised he is No. 1. Texas is 1-4 (first time since 1956) and they don't tolerate football losses plus they don't have life rafts on their ship for coaches. Virginia is a school who I feel will pull the plug quickly also. Purdue, on the other hand...

I'm actually surprised he is No. 1. Texas is 1-4 (first time since 1956) and they don't tolerate football losses plus they don't have life rafts on their ship for coaches. Virginia is a school who I feel will pull the plug quickly also. Purdue, on the other hand...

While there is no doubt the PRESSURE is #1 right now for Strong, I don't know if he's #1 on the hot seat.

While Texas has started off badly, 3 of their 4 losses have been against ranked teams (while Cal is now ranked as well - so all 4) and they've lost 2 of those games by a combined 4 points.

The problem will come in the form of bad losses for Texas. If they start losing to teams like Kansas, Texas Tech, etc., then it'll be a major problem.

Texas is already such a mess from their AD getting fired that I think it'll buy Strong some time.

Texas is in the same mess we are in. They fired their AD and likely will not fire Strong until the AD is replaced because the new AD will want "his" man for the FB job when he comes in. We have an AD that isn't leaving until 2017 so he's untouchable and seemingly immune to falling attendance and lack of wins and we sure don't want him making another FB hire. Both programs have their hands tied right now.

While there is no doubt the PRESSURE is #1 right now for Strong, I don't know if he's #1 on the hot seat.

While Texas has started off badly, 3 of their 4 losses have been against ranked teams (while Cal is now ranked as well - so all 4) and they've lost 2 of those games by a combined 4 points.

The problem will come in the form of bad losses for Texas. If they start losing to teams like Kansas, Texas Tech, etc., then it'll be a major problem.

Texas is already such a mess from their AD getting fired that I think it'll buy Strong some time.
9 lbodel, Today at 1:32 PM
Like + Quote

Texas is in the same mess we are in. They fired their AD and likely will not fire Strong until the AD is replaced because the new AD will want "his" man for the FB job when he comes in. We have an AD that isn't leaving until 2017 so he's untouchable and seemingly immune to falling attendance and lack of wins and we sure don't want him making another FB hire. Both programs have their hands tied right now.

Do you guys think the Texas fanbase or alumni have enough vocal bite and clout on the organization to push the envelope if it got to that point? Or do you think it will go to deaf ears as we see with other programs?

Day, you are not correct. While it is true that he has been in the Top Ten on that site for quite a few weeks, he has previously not occupied the #1 position iirc. This week is the first that I can recall where he has that position.

Needless to say, this is not good.

I suspect Strong will be gone long before Hazell.

There was a pretty interesting article in SI this week about OU's 32 year old OC.

I think Hazells record reflects his recruiting ability not his coaching ability. Can't keep bringing in bottom of the conference classes year in and out.

I think Hazells record reflects his recruiting ability not his coaching ability. Can't keep bringing in bottom of the conference classes year in and out.

I don't think there's "one" problem. Obviously, one problem can play into others. Having recruiting classes low on talent obviously leads to things like bad tackling. You can only teach skills to an extent while not factoring in talent level. That being said, there are certainly things that are controllable that are not showing up.

Hazell has won 2 games at Purdue against Div A-1 opponents. Recruiting has been weak, but not this weak. Either Hazell is an idiot or his assistant coaches are idiots or both. He has retreads at both coordinator positions, and both have struggled in their previous roles. That Hazell was not able to bring more of his staff at Kent State is telling. What is indicates exactly is unclear, but there is information in this. That Hazell took so long to put together his staff is telling.

There is much to be learned from Tiller's success at Purdue. Burke clearly did not learn it. And arrogantly forcing his coach in waiting approach on football was double dumb.

Day, you are not correct. While it is true that he has been in the Top Ten on that site for quite a few weeks, he has previously not occupied the #1 position iirc. This week is the first that I can recall where he has that position.

Needless to say, this is not good.

You posted the thread on 9/8 titled "DH is #1 on Coaches Hot Seat Blog"....I suppose as a Purdue fan it is good your memory sucks.

Hazell has won 2 games at Purdue against Div A-1 opponents. Recruiting has been weak, but not this weak. Either Hazell is an idiot or his assistant coaches are idiots or both. He has retreads at both coordinator positions, and both have struggled in their previous roles. That Hazell was not able to bring more of his staff at Kent State is telling. What is indicates exactly is unclear, but there is information in this. That Hazell took so long to put together his staff is telling.

There is much to be learned from Tiller's success at Purdue. Burke clearly did not learn it. And arrogantly forcing his coach in waiting approach on football was double dumb.
GREAT POST!!!!!!!!!! One of the best I have read......................sums up the situation pretty well...........

I think what you bring up is interesting. I don't think Hazell's length of time to put together his staff means he couldn't find quality candidates to fill the roles, rather I think he has an issue with making poor decisions when given too much time to do so. I point to the QB situations the first three years. Clearly, Henry was the best option his first year yet the staff put him in a system that was so terrible for his abilities, it was a joke. This season, many fans are wondering (especially those like me who attended spring practices, the spring game, fall practices, and the jersey scrimmage) how Appleby was given the nod over Blough to start the season.

With the news of AA's injury against VT, I'm not so sure that the decision wasn't forced on the staff instead of truly making a decision concerning the QB situation. I honestly believe Coach Hazell runs a tight ship, which is good, but I don't think he allows his assistants to make decisions on their own and can't trust their judgement. For instance, there are two local football players (one offensive and one defensive) that the OC and DC each want and want to offer a scholarship to now...Hazell refuses to allow them to give the scholarships to those players. Now, that may be false accusations, but that is not coming from family member who may be hurt that Purdue hasn't offered a scholarship. It is coming from a credible sources that know both players and the schools.

I do like what Coach Hazell stands for: integrity, hard work, dedication, effort, citizenship, representing Purdue...but at some point results are needed. At this point, I think Hazell has done a great job of building the foundation for a successful program, but I'm not sure Hazell is the guy who can get the results needed to be successful.

Burke didnt allow him to bring everyone with him, specifically Rock. Also, Hazell's DC at Kent was our DB coach for a year.

Burke wanted name hires at the coordinators. Shoop and Hudson are what we got.

FWIW, i think hudson has done a decent job. The defense has improved since he has been here. Offense hasnt always put them in a good position.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler

While I agree the coach in waiting was dumb to replicate, Tiller had a good amount of talent while he was coach. I think there were definitely things that Tiller and his staff did very well that helped improve things quickly, but they weren't operating at a talent level like we have now (which is on Hazell & staff). Boise State is a great example. Boise State's talent isn't much better than Purdue's. However, they have implemented such a successful and unique system, that they can work with coaching them and recruiting players that fit their system (and vice versa). Boise State has a very similar number of players in the NFL (and very few starters) as Purdue. They are having success based heavily on systems. It's similar to Purdue under Tiller. Our receivers had killer statistics, yet none of them really ever made it to the NFL (Standeford did, but mostly practice squad level). They weren't overly talented individually, but collectively they played so well together in a system.

I think what you bring up is interesting. I don't think Hazell's length of time to put together his staff means he couldn't find quality candidates to fill the roles, rather I think he has an issue with making poor decisions when given too much time to do so. I point to the QB situations the first three years. Clearly, Henry was the best option his first year yet the staff put him in a system that was so terrible for his abilities, it was a joke. This season, many fans are wondering (especially those like me who attended spring practices, the spring game, fall practices, and the jersey scrimmage) how Appleby was given the nod over Blough to start the season.

With the news of AA's injury against VT, I'm not so sure that the decision wasn't forced on the staff instead of truly making a decision concerning the QB situation. I honestly believe Coach Hazell runs a tight ship, which is good, but I don't think he allows his assistants to make decisions on their own and can't trust their judgement. For instance, there are two local football players (one offensive and one defensive) that the OC and DC each want and want to offer a scholarship to now...Hazell refuses to allow them to give the scholarships to those players. Now, that may be false accusations, but that is not coming from family member who may be hurt that Purdue hasn't offered a scholarship. It is coming from a credible sources that know both players and the schools.

I do like what Coach Hazell stands for: integrity, hard work, dedication, effort, citizenship, representing Purdue...but at some point results are needed. At this point, I think Hazell has done a great job of building the foundation for a successful program, but I'm not sure Hazell is the guy who can get the results needed to be successful.
Kyle Williams ( Lebanon ) ? looks to have good size

Guess I was wrong, I thought we looked more like #2 this season.

Not to nitpick on your post, but do you really believe that moving from #3 on the coaches hotseat list to #1 "significantly reduces the likelihood things get turned around"?

If you're ranked 3rd on a "worst performers" list at your company that employs 500 people (ballpark number of D1 head coaches and assistants), I don't feel falling two spots to become "worst of the worst" can be viewed as all that significant in the way of change. I mean, at 3rd, you were pretty darn close to worst to begin with.

You posted the thread on 9/8 titled "DH is #1 on Coaches Hot Seat Blog"....I suppose as a Purdue fan it is good your memory sucks.
He was #1 on that day (obviously). However, he did not retain that position in the meanwhile. Sometimes being #1 vs #2 (or elsewhere in the Top Ten) does get confused in my memory. The main point is that he clearly is among the likely candidates viewed as severely underperforming.

I suppose that I should have stated that he was back on top.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT