ADVERTISEMENT

Defense does NOT live here

Unfortunately it seems like every team we play has a Michael Jordan. We can't guard anyone.
Heck,Davis got 14 rebounds and Williams and Edey combined for only 15 .Purdue was out hustled and got almost nothing from most of the guys.Going forward we are going to find out how much heart this team has.There are plenty of games left and there are plenty of goals still to play for.

Unfortunately it seems like every team we play has a Michael Jordan. We can't guard anyone.
Purdue does not have anyone at all that is elite...or even good for that matter, individually at that end, and, collectively they are not good either still.

Hard to imagine with the depth and athleticism, along with size and some quality experience, that this team struggles as it does defensively...but, it, along with the lazy and soft passes and the struggles at the FT line are all things that will keep this team from being as good as it ultimately is capable of.

They let Johnny Davis look like Michael Jordan.He got half of Wisconsins points.
He was clearly the best player on the floor...not even close...and, even with 30 points late in the game, the dude was left completely wide open on consecutive possessions late in the game...it defied any and all logic.

Not only did Purdue not have a player that could check him, much less stop him, they made some horrible decisions in terms of switches and Davis exposed them almost every single time.

This has happened to Purdue SO many times over the years, and, it is in part just due to the defensive principles that they have...it has haunted them though, and, will continue to, especially absent someone able to stop guys individually.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Every defense has strengths and weaknesses. I think if their choices haunted them they would make other choices, don't you?

Every defense has strengths and weaknesses. I think if their choices haunted them they would make other choices, don't you?
Absolutely no excuse to let Nichols score 90 points. No excuse to lose to Rutgers. I'm OK with losing to MSU, Michigan, OSU or Wisconsin on their home courts. No excuse to lose at Mackey. Wisconsin has only won 4 time in Mackey. Well now 5. With what many people thought was one of the top 5 Purdue teams ever. This team is declining fast unfortunately.

Absolutely no excuse to let Nichols score 90 points. No excuse to lose to Rutgers. I'm OK with losing to MSU, Michigan, OSU or Wisconsin on their home courts. No excuse to lose at Mackey. Wisconsin has only won 4 time in Mackey. Well now 5. With what many people thought was one of the top 5 Purdue teams ever. This team is declining fast unfortunately.
smells a whole lot more like Players than System.

Reactions: bonefish1
I was thinking Newman was going to be the D stopper this year. He's 6'5, sort of athletic, stronger that IT, EH or SS.
He's in Painter's doghouse for some reason.

He's not in any doghouse. He isn't producing at all on the court and by your own 'standards' he shouldn't be playing.
agree, when he has got minutes, he has not made shots, turned it over and got lost on defense.

Then stop watching if you're going to come out of the woodwork and jump off of a ledge. God God some of you need to get a set.
You are delusional if you think this defense is going to get us far in the tournament. Unless Ivey has Carson Edwards games it's not going to happen. Which pains me to say. The last 2 months has made it clear.

Usually Purdue has a great on ball defender like Kramer, Lowe, Davis, Eastern. None to do that and at least slow down a guy like Johnny Davis from having a career game. I predict he won’t score that many again in Big play.

Reactions: Matt Tiger
Correct me if I'm wrong, but were UNC, Nova and FSU all missing key players when we played them early in the year?
That is a good question, and I do not know the answer. I can't say I follow other teams close enough to follow their roster of who is playing and not playing on a given night.

Assuming that their squad was at full strength, I still say we had a great start winning those games against very quality opponents (they are all also top 20 - you can definitely see the struggles NOVA has had) but overall we are a good team.

Purdue's squad is capable of greatness, but not everyone on the team is playing to their potential right now. We are a good team because you can tell some guys are going hard through sets and motions but not at their max potential.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but were UNC, Nova and FSU all missing key players when we played them early in the year?
I think so. FSU was missing two guys, UNC was missing one starter, Villanova might have been full strength but they have fallen fast as well. I was a little concerned after Rutgers and NC State and thought it might just be a back week but nope, this is actually a big deal I think. Might be ok in the BT regular season but what just happened against Wisconsin will happen to us in the tournament and it might be another North Texas and not a P5 team. Im fully for Painter going to the portal next year and getting a PG who is more athletic since Smith will just be a freshman. I wasnt at first but 5 games and a month and a half make me think its an issue that wont go away. I think we will have the same problem next year as well. Im not sure how you can see it any other way right now.

I think so. FSU was missing two guys, UNC was missing one starter, Villanova might have been full strength but they have fallen fast as well. I was a little concerned after Rutgers and NC State and thought it might just be a back week but nope, this is actually a big deal I think. Might be ok in the BT regular season but what just happened against Wisconsin will happen to us in the tournament and it might be another North Texas and not a P5 team. Im fully for Painter going to the portal next year and getting a PG who is more athletic since Smith will just be a freshman. I wasnt at first but 5 games and a month and a half make me think its an issue that wont go away. I think we will have the same problem next year as well. Im not sure how you can see it any other way right now.

The issue is Painter didn't get help in the portal this year when he could have put together all the pieces for a NC team.
Next year, you lose Ivy and you're still going to have the same problem at the guard position.
I don't know if Painter went after anyone hard in the portal for this year but if not, that was a major mistake.

It’s going to be even worse next year since we won’t have Ivey to bail out our other guards. Zero speed, ball handling, and athleticism without him.

It’s going to be even worse next year since we won’t have Ivey to bail out our other guards. Zero speed, ball handling, and athleticism without him.
Funny, that is what was said after Carsen left and we were fine. You chicken little's are something else.

Funny, that is what was said after Carsen left and we were fine. You chicken little's are something else.
After carsen left we were a bad team the following year and would have missed the tournament if Covid didn’t shut it down.

After carsen left we were a bad team the following year and would have missed the tournament if Covid didn’t shut it down.
Sure. The sky is falling and we're gonna lose every game. No reason for you to follow or watch Purdue then since you already have jumped off the ledge and know the outcome.

Sure. The sky is falling and we're gonna lose every game. No reason for you to follow or watch Purdue then since you already have jumped off the ledge and know the outcome.
I know you're always rainbows and unicorns, but try to have a shred of objectivity. If you don't think this team has major gaps or personnel issue, then you're just too scared to call a spade a spade.
This is big boy basketball, the players can handle it when someone tells them they're not great.

Last edited:
but try to have a shred of objectivity.
That's so very hypocritical coming from you since you're all blinders and internet karma and about as 'objective' as kamala harris.

Never said this team doesn't have gaps to fix and have pointed them out before with posters that are far less hypocritical as you. Quite honestly, I take what you have to say with a grain of salt and yeah, I know you care what people think of you on here. You spend way too much time defending yourself and bumping old threads for it to not be the case.

And it's also funny you call people for being 'scared' yet you're too scared to call in to the Painter show and give him all your solutions.

That's so very hypocritical coming from you since you're all blinders and internet karma and about as 'objective' as kamala harris.

Never said this team doesn't have gaps to fix and have pointed them out before with posters that are far less hypocritical as you. Quite honestly, I take what you have to say with a grain of salt and yeah, I know you care what people think of you on here. You spend way too much time defending yourself and bumping old threads for it to not be the case.

And it's also funny you call people for being 'scared' yet you're too scared to call in to the Painter show and give him all your solutions.

Unfortunately, the only solution to this years problems are going to be to play more Morton and Newman and less Hunter and IT.
We know what we're getting in Hunter and IT.
Do you think Hunter and IT can "improve"?

Unfortunately, the only solution to this years problems are going to be to play more Morton and Newman and less Hunter and IT.
We know what we're getting in Hunter and IT.
Do you think Hunter and IT can "improve"?
Of course they can improve. Hunter has shown to be capable in the past so the ability is there. His issue is between the ears and you have to work through it. Same with Newman because he hasn't given us squat either and sometimes less than Hunter.

This isn't a 'skill' issue per se, but a confidence/mental problem and those don't get worked out sitting on the bench.

Of course they can improve. Hunter has shown to be capable in the past so the ability is there. His issue is between the ears and you have to work through it. Same with Newman because he hasn't given us squat either and sometimes less than Hunter.

This isn't a 'skill' issue per se, but a confidence/mental problem and those don't get worked out sitting on the bench.
Newman has the skill and athleticism to be a big piece, even a starter, but he checks out mentally, especially if the first shot doesn't go down. I'd love for him to play more but it seems like he doesn't want to be out there if his shot's not falling. Getting lost on defense, being careless with the ball.

A couple games ago, I think either RU or NCST someone got into it with Painter when they got pulled, was it Newman? Seems like that's when he stopped playing a ton of minutes and stopped scoring

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT