ADVERTISEMENT

Deep Dish

I would say a reasonable person could infer that it’s around where flot puts me. Like I said, when it comes to all of you I presume that I don’t know the first thing about you other than your opinions
I have no idea who "flot" is, nor what "flot" thinks of you.

Again, my post was:

"85"?? Assuming you mean me?

So... in your mind, exactly how bad do you believe I think of you?

(Asking, because I don't ever recall making that judgement either in my mind or in writing on this forum.)

Standing by...

ok lol. Whatever you say man
No, man, it's not 'whatever (I) say man", I was sincerely asking you for clarification about what YOU said.

Again...

"85"?? Assuming you mean me?

So... in your mind, exactly how bad do you believe I think of you?

(Asking, because I don't ever recall making that judgement either in my mind or in writing on this forum.)

Standing by...

That was in direct follow up to your post, which included this:

I think it’s highly possible that I may be worse than I think I am but not quite as bad as you and 85 think lol

You clearly invoked my moniker, not merely suggesting but STATING clearly that I think poorly of you.

As I stated, I cannot recall ever thinking poorly of you, let alone WRITING anything of the sort.

SO.... answer my question.

No, man, it's not 'whatever (I) say man", I was sincerely asking you for clarification about what YOU said.

Again...

That was in direct follow up to your post, which included this:

You clearly invoked my moniker, not merely suggesting but STATING clearly that I think poorly of you.

As I stated, I cannot recall ever thinking poorly of you, let alone WRITING anything of the sort.

SO.... answer my question.
You seem pretty worked up right now

@Flot I decided after arguing with a restaunteur and noted food critic that I’d try or retry every acclaimed pizza place in the Chicago area. At that time, I was actually much more rigid in my beliefs. The journey has broadened up my horizons a lot.. here is what I have so far. I imagine trying them all will take years. If you don’t see a place it just means I haven’t been there since starting this journey..

Freddy’s (Cicero)
Spacca Napoli (Ravenswood)
Giaocchino’s (Bellwood)
Panino’s (Wrigleyville)
Gigio’s (Uptown)
Bartolini’s (Midlothian)
Bije’s (Belmont Park)
Dino’s (Oriole Park)
Village Pizza and Pub (Carpentersville)
Cafe Luigi (Lincoln Park)
Paulie Gee’s (Logan Square)
Villa Napoli (Norridge)
Labriola (downtown)/La Barra (Oakbrook) Milly’s Pizza in a Pan
Side street saloon
The Stop Along
Villa Nova (Stickney)
Pizza Fried Chicken Ice Cream (Bridgeport)
Little pops (Naperville)
Marie’s Pizza and Liquors (Albany Park)
Pizza Boy (Edison Park)
Dante’s (Logan square)
Penguino’s (Buffalo Grove)
D’Agostino’s (wrigleyville)
Sicilia Bakery
Richie’s (Schiller Park)
Tortorice’s
Paterno’s
River Cafe and bar (river grove)
Phil’s (Oak Lawn)
Roots (Lincoln Park)
Bob’s (Pilsen)

To me, the top 6 are outstanding. They are worth driving more than 30 minutes. The next level.. call them a solid B+ to B- would start with Bije and end with Milly’s Pizza in a Pan.

the pizzas I had that I thought were massively overrated and just not good are from Paterno’s on down to Bob’s.

I’ve had Burt’s before, and I imagine once I have it again with a critical eye, I’ll slot it right in that Dante’s Logan Square range.

I don’t think Pequod, Burt’s, Barnaby’s, Vito and Nick’s, Pat’s, Jimmy’s or Coalfire are bad pizzas. My objection (and maybe I let you get caught up in this unfairly) is with young bloggers who come into Chicago from out of town, who... unlike Portnoy.. don’t make an effort to really get out and try the old guard and get to know the whole city (usually giving too much weight to gentrified neighborhoods and the north suburbs), and who then place Burt’s number one in Chicago.

my objection is,.. that the Chicago pizza press should tell the whole story. I think dolinsky does this, but after him, I think bloggers and writers are trying to cater too much to a certain demo.

the example I always give is this.. when the pizza show on vice came to Chicago they did four pizza places.. Vito and nicks, Lou malnati’s, Burt’s and Freddy’s .. only one of those places, Freddy’s, was started by someone who came from Italy.

So Freddy’s was good enough for Frank Pinello and good enough for Steve Dolinsky (who recommended them to Pinello).. but

You won’t find them on any top 25 or even 50 list of pizzas in Chicago ...

It’s comical. So if I seem angry, that’s why..

They say when Portnoy rates a place high, they have lines out the door. Well, joe Quercia, the owner of Freddy’s, has those same lines anyway, but he deserves the even longer lines that would come from receiving his rightful place on that list.

you would love his story and the place.. he came here from Italy at 13, didn’t speak any English, worked at Freddy’s from 13-18, bought Freddy’s as an 18 year old in 1973.. still owns it with his wife (who was a customer) today.

Freddy’s Sicilian looking margarita to me is the best pizza in Chicago, but I recommend you all go because this place is serving the #2 ranked Italian sub in Chicago, bringing out trays of fresh Italian food such as pasta to the serving line, Italian beef, meatballs, and they have the best gelato I’ve ever had. Pinello commented that the Italian store experience of Freddy’s was something you don’t even find in Brooklyn anymore.

The other gem on that list is bartolini’s. Two years ago they were rated number one in America for spaghetti and meatballs .. they make their own dough and sauce from scratch.. and again, you won’t find them on any list of the best pizzas in Chicago. And yes, I’m not shy about being ticked off about it because Dom and Chris are great owners who have worked their ass off for decades to build it from nothing.. and they deserve the longer lines that would come from a spot on those lists.

it’s not uncommon to see Chris making six sauces at once in the back and then run out with a drill to fix something at the bar really quickly. And he talks to me about the same way 85 does, so you guys would probably like him.

the finest pizza in the Midwest though is actually in Wisconsin. The guido family (renamed wells at Ellis island) opened up wells brothers in Racine Wisconsin in 1921. In the 1940s, they allegedly (according to regulars at their bar; owners did not dispute) got their pizza recipe from a bar on the south side of Chicago (long since closed).

When I was heading up that way a few years ago, I had people who lived two hours south telling me “you gotta go to that wells brothers up there.”

they weren’t lying. The place was ranked like #6 pizza in America 15 or so years ago and I heartily concur. It’s so good that even the people who disrespect most of my top 6 tend to tip their cap to wells. One chef who is a friend of the restaurant critic I was arguing with has called wells brothers the best pizza in the world. I don’t know about that, but I do know it was outstanding.

I apologize for jumping on your opinion.. you got caught up in people that share your opinion for different reasons.

I don’t disagree with someone strongly and decide “oh because we disagree they must be a piece of crap mfer.” We disagree.. we had a strong exchange about it. Where I grew up this is actually how you meet a lot of your best friends.

I think it’s highly possible that I may be worse than I think I am but not quite as bad as you and 85 think lol
Are you retarded, or did you do a lot of drugs in the past?

You seem pretty worked up right no
@Flot I decided after arguing with a restaunteur and noted food critic that I’d try or retry every acclaimed pizza place in the Chicago area. At that time, I was actually much more rigid in my beliefs. The journey has broadened up my horizons a lot.. here is what I have so far. I imagine trying them all will take years. If you don’t see a place it just means I haven’t been there since starting this journey..

Freddy’s (Cicero)
Giaocchino’s (Bellwood)
Panino’s (Wrigleyville)
Gigio’s (Uptown)
Bartolini’s (Midlothian)
Bije’s (Belmont Park)
Dino’s (Oriole Park)
Villa Napoli (Norridge)
Side street saloon
The Stop Along
Villa Nova (Stickney)
Little pops (Naperville)
Pizza Boy (Edison Park)
Dante’s (Logan square)
Sicilia Bakery
Richie’s (Schiller Park)
Tortorice’s
Paterno’s
Phil’s (Oak Lawn)
Roots (Lincoln Park)
Bob’s (Pilsen)

To me, the top 6 are outstanding. They are worth driving more than 30 minutes. The next level.. call them a solid B+ to B- would start with Bije and end with Milly’s Pizza in a Pan.

the pizzas I had that I thought were massively overrated and just not good are from Paterno’s on down to Bob’s.

I’ve had Burt’s before, and I imagine once I have it again with a critical eye, I’ll slot it right in that Dante’s Logan Square range.

I don’t think Pequod, Burt’s, Barnaby’s, Vito and Nick’s, Pat’s, Jimmy’s or Coalfire are bad pizzas. My objection (and maybe I let you get caught up in this unfairly) is with young bloggers who come into Chicago from out of town, who... unlike Portnoy.. don’t make an effort to really get out and try the old guard and get to know the whole city (usually giving too much weight to gentrified neighborhoods and the north suburbs), and who then place Burt’s number one in Chicago.

my objection is,.. that the Chicago pizza press should tell the whole story. I think dolinsky does this, but after him, I think bloggers and writers are trying to cater too much to a certain demo.

the example I always give is this.. when the pizza show on vice came to Chicago they did four pizza places.. Vito and nicks, Lou malnati’s, Burt’s and Freddy’s .. only one of those places, Freddy’s, was started by someone who came from Italy.

So Freddy’s was good enough for Frank Pinello and good enough for Steve Dolinsky (who recommended them to Pinello).. but

They say when Portnoy rates a place high, they have lines out the door. Well, joe Quercia, the owner of Freddy’s, has those same lines anyway, but he deserves the even longer lines that would come from receiving his rightful place on that list.

you would love his story and the place.. he came here from Italy at 13, didn’t speak any English, worked at Freddy’s from 13-18, bought Freddy’s as an 18 year old in 1973.. still owns it with his wife (who was a customer) today.

Freddy’s Sicilian looking margarita to me is the best pizza in Chicago, but I recommend you all go because this place is serving the #2 ranked Italian sub in Chicago, bringing out trays of fresh Italian food such as pasta to the serving line, Italian beef, meatballs, and they have the best gelato I’ve ever had. Pinello commented that the Italian store experience of Freddy’s was something you don’t even find in Brooklyn anymore.

The other gem on that list is bartolini’s. Two years ago they were rated number one in America for spaghetti and meatballs .. they make their own dough and sauce from scratch.. and again, you won’t find them on any list of the best pizzas in Chicago. And yes, I’m not shy about being ticked off about it because Dom and Chris are great owners who have worked their ass off for decades to build it from nothing.. and they deserve the longer lines that would come from a spot on those lists.

it’s not uncommon to see Chris making six sauces at once in the back and then run out with a drill to fix something at the bar really quickly. And he talks to me about the same way 85 does, so you guys would probably like him.

the finest pizza in the Midwest though is actually in Wisconsin. The guido family (renamed wells at Ellis island) opened up wells brothers in Racine Wisconsin in 1921. In the 1940s, they allegedly (according to regulars at their bar; owners did not dispute) got their pizza recipe from a bar on the south side of Chicago (long since closed).

When I was heading up that way a few years ago, I had people who lived two hours south telling me “you gotta go to that wells brothers up there.”

they weren’t lying. The place was ranked like #6 pizza in America 15 or so years ago and I heartily concur. It’s so good that even the people who disrespect most of my top 6 tend to tip their cap to wells. One chef who is a friend of the restaurant critic I was arguing with has called wells brothers the best pizza in the world. I don’t know about that, but I do know it was outstanding.

I apologize for jumping on your opinion.. you got caught up in people that share your opinion for different reasons.
You seem pretty worked up right now
You sound pretty worked up getting an hourly wage vs us professionals.

Freddy’s (Cicero)
Giaocchino’s (Bellwood)
Panino’s (Wrigleyville)
Gigio’s (Uptown)
Bartolini’s (Midlothian)
Bije’s (Belmont Park)
Dino’s (Oriole Park)
Villa Napoli (Norridge)
Side street saloon
The Stop Along
Villa Nova (Stickney)
Little pops (Naperville)
Pizza Boy (Edison Park)
Dante’s (Logan square)
Sicilia Bakery
Richie’s (Schiller Park)
Tortorice’s
Paterno’s
Phil’s (Oak Lawn)
Roots (Lincoln Park)
Bob’s (Pilsen)

So I assume you are not a parent or a failed divorced parent? Is this your Italian manifesto?

Wow. The response of the number of characters is impressive. Your character is not. Numb-nuts, you are a typical uneducated, goom-ba. My family was involved with Al Capone back in the day. That trumps your dishwashing days in New York.

I couldn’t be happier that you think that. So was mine ;)

it’s remarkable the number of insults you throw around while thinking you’re the good guy ;)

So I assume you are not a parent or a failed divorced parent? Is this your Italian manifesto?

lol I want everyone to see this. I disagree with pizza.. so It’s time for personal attack after personal attack and @IUhaterade thinks I’m the A hole. You sound very unhinged right now.

lol I want everyone to see this. I disagree with pizza.. so It’s time for personal attack after personal attack and @IUhaterade thinks I’m the A hole. You sound very unhinged right now.

He might be going too far but you’ve proven yourself to be an a-hole numerous times on this topic and you even admit it. I can honestly say I know of no other individual who shares your exact views on this. Almost everyone realizes that opinions on food are subjective, not objective. You argue food opinion as if your opinion is the same thing as fact and that makes me not value your opinion.

He might be going too far but you’ve proven yourself to be an a-hole numerous times on this topic and you even admit it. I can honestly say I know of no other individual who shares your exact views on this. Almost everyone realizes that opinions on food are subjective, not objective. You argue food opinion as if your opinion is the same thing as fact and that makes me not value your opinion.
Duh. The Italian ditch-digger is clueless!

I’m fine with being an a hole but I’m not THAT much of an a hole lol .. old boy needs a paper bag

Freddy’s (Cicero)
Giaocchino’s (Bellwood)
Panino’s (Wrigleyville)
Gigio’s (Uptown)
Bartolini’s (Midlothian)
Bije’s (Belmont Park)
Dino’s (Oriole Park)
Villa Napoli (Norridge)
Side street saloon
The Stop Along
Villa Nova (Stickney)
Little pops (Naperville)
Pizza Boy (Edison Park)
Dante’s (Logan square)
Sicilia Bakery
Richie’s (Schiller Park)
Tortorice’s
Paterno’s
Phil’s (Oak Lawn)
Roots (Lincoln Park)
Bob’s (Pilsen)

That’s great, but can any of them make a salad?

Every pizza place

Reactions: 4IUSox2
I couldn’t be happier that you think that. So was mine ;)

it’s remarkable the number of insults you throw around while thinking you’re the good guy ;)
I never said I was a good guy. Or a liberal. And hurling insults at uneducated bozos is easy.

New review: Fox’s Pizza Den in Plainfield, IN. 1.1/10.

Very bland sauce- almost straight Hunt’s tomato sauce. Crust overly soft and floppy. Cheese was best part. On the plus side- they have more GF options than most which is a big deal when your girl has a gluten allergy

New review: Fox’s Pizza Den in Plainfield, IN. 1.1/10.

Very bland sauce- almost straight Hunt’s tomato sauce. Crust overly soft and floppy. Cheese was best part. On the plus side- they have more GF options than most which is a big deal when your girl has a gluten allergy

im curious cause I know very little about Indy pizza.. for when I go back, other than goodfellas, bazbeaux (had it) and arni’s and pizza king.. what’s to try? Thanks in advance

You don’t like Detroit style? I drove to buddy’s from Milwaukee one day on a Sunday. It was worth the drive
For me it's Detroit > Chicago > regular > New York, but perhaps my opinion on NY style will change in a few weeks when I visit my sister who lives there now.

im curious cause I know very little about Indy pizza.. for when I go back, other than goodfellas, bazbeaux (had it) and arni’s and pizza king.. what’s to try? Thanks in advance

Some places in or near Marion County that I think are good:

1) Pasquale’s- specifically the one on the southwest side
2) Jockamo
3) Greek’s
4) Puccini’s
5) Brozinni’s

And honestly I like the pizza at Casey’s gas stations. A fresh one is better than the hot and ready but even the hot and ready is much better than any other gas station pizza I’ve ever had. Worth trying just for curiosity. Not sure if Casey’s are in other states or not.

Pizza King - Angola, IN is the best Pizza King by far.

Everyone seems to think the pizza king they are familiar with is the best lol. I’ve been told Connersville is the best too. I go to the one on Southport Rd and Bluff.

Do all Pizza King’s bring your drinks by train- or just the ones I’ve been to?

For me it's Detroit > Chicago > regular > New York, but perhaps my opinion on NY style will change in a few weeks when I visit my sister who lives there now.

Curious, are you a big toppings person? I think I might start trying cheese only whenever I go to a new place like portnoy does.

Everyone seems to think the pizza king they are familiar with is the best lol. I’ve been told Connersville is the best too. I go to the one on Southport Rd and Bluff.

Do all Pizza King’s bring your drinks by train- or just the ones I’ve been to?
The only Pizza King I've been to with the trains was the one in Avon. I was surprised when we stopped at the one in Americus after a football game, it was different than what I was used to. Angola, probably is high for me due to going to school there, but I do hear people around here saying not to bother with the one in Fremont, because they like Angola's better also.

Curious, are you a big toppings person? I think I might start trying cheese only whenever I go to a new place like portnoy does.
I am big on the veggies for toppings, usually just one meat, sometimes two, like pepperoni and sausage. I think that may be the reason for my order. I don't mind a cheese pizza or just pepperoni, but prefer ones that are "supreme" typically.

I am big on the veggies for toppings, usually just one meat, sometimes two, like pepperoni and sausage. I think that may be the reason for my order. I don't mind a cheese pizza or just pepperoni, but prefer ones that are "supreme" typically.

I’m starting to think that NY-style people don’t need/want a lot of toppings

Reactions: jberry5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT