ADVERTISEMENT

Deep Dish

New review: Fox’s Pizza Den in Plainfield, IN. 1.1/10.

Very bland sauce- almost straight Hunt’s tomato sauce. Crust overly soft and floppy. Cheese was best part. On the plus side- they have more GF options than most which is a big deal when your girl has a gluten allergy
Thanks for this review. We almost ordered from there last time we were at her parents' house.

Reactions: IUhaterade
For me it's Detroit > Chicago > regular > New York, but perhaps my opinion on NY style will change in a few weeks when I visit my sister who lives there now.

i had a trip planned for last august and couldn’t go obviously. I can’t wait

Some places in or near Marion County that I think are good:

1) Pasquale’s- specifically the one on the southwest side
2) Jockamo
3) Greek’s
4) Puccini’s
5) Brozinni’s

And honestly I like the pizza at Casey’s gas stations. A fresh one is better than the hot and ready but even the hot and ready is much better than any other gas station pizza I’ve ever had. Worth trying just for curiosity. Not sure if Casey’s are in other states or not.

I will give these all an open mind and not try to freak out anymore.. Burt’s did it more than anyone in here

You’re a sorry ass bitch I can tell lol. And you like pizza we wouldn’t feed to our dogs.
And you respond multiple times to the same post now counting at three. You are an uneducated ass bitch I can tell and the best part is you may not be able to comprehend all the fancy words in these posts.

And you respond multiple times to the same post now counting at three. You are an uneducated ass bitch I can tell and the best part is you may not be able to comprehend all the fancy words in these posts.
You’re sorry as **** .. keep eating dog food pizza 😂😂

You’re a very ADD, sad blue-collar boy. The world needs more ditch-diggers.
Come on, isn’t it time to stop the pillow fight between you guys? I love pizza as much as anybody, but this thread just never seems to end……

Come on, isn’t it time to stop the pillow fight between you guys? I love pizza as much as anybody, but this thread just never seems to end……

lol I stopped a while ago.. my long post many many posts ago was written in a conciliatory tone. The mention of Burt’s got me riled up, but I acknowledged that I could have been more cooperative with the group. Dude is fighting with himself.

he has a belief too that makes me sick.. I don’t see actual ditch diggers doing an honest days work and look at them as less than. I look at them as doing an honest days work when they could be out there robbing someone

that’s in Indy and you pretty much review Indy places right?

Nah this place is in NJ- he’s been doing the Jersey Shore recently

But yeah I pretty much go to places within 100 miles of Indy. I went to the original Bazbeaux in Broad Ripple last weekend. I’d been to the one on Mass Ave. a handful of times before, but never the BR location.

My local Pasquale’s- which I live half a mile from- has an 8.9 score on his One Bite App... but that is an average of just 2 reviews. A 7.8 and a 10.0.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
but in all seriousness, to anyone who think I’m a Chicago snob, I agree with @SDBoiler1 that pizza on the east coast just has to be better. Also, I find Chicago pizza opinion to be absolutely terrible.

Freddy’s pizza was one of four places on the pizza show on the Chicago episode, and you won’t even find it on a top FIFTY list in Chicago. Bartolini’s got best spaghetti and meatballs in America .. their owners are making the sauce and dough from scratch every day.. same, never got top 50.

what will get top 25? Any pizza place opened up by a chef named Carl or Cecily in a gentrified neighborhood in Chicago. I went to a supposedly top 10 place in the city and it was absolutely awful, bob’s in Pilsen. And people on the internet were like “yeah forget about the sauce, there’s beer in the dough!”

Chicago can’t complain to New York or new haven for two reasons

1) there is no lineage to Italy. Italians came here, but pizza didn’t really take off in Chicago until post world war 2 when vets came back from Europe .. where as in New York, Italians came here and began doing what they were doing in Italy modifying only for availability of ingredients.

2) the pizzas in Chicago in the 1940s and beyond were crafted with externalities in mind.. like keeping drunks drinking at bars .. it wasn’t pizza for the sake of pizza, it was “let’s change it to make it more like peanuts.”

so I don’t want anyone thinking that despite my sheer hatred for pizza king .. I think Chicago is like the Mecca of pizza. It’s not
Never had a calzone better than Bartolini’s. Went there once a week for it when I was working.

Nah this place is in NJ- he’s been doing the Jersey Shore recently

But yeah I pretty much go to places within 100 miles of Indy. I went to the original Bazbeaux in Broad Ripple last weekend. I’d been to the one on Mass Ave. a handful of times before, but never the BR location.

My local Pasquale’s- which I live half a mile from- has an 8.9 score on his One Bite App... but that is an average of just 2 reviews. A 7.8 and a 10.0.

jersey was recently rated the #1 pizza state in the nation by some publication and although I haven’t been there yet, I’d doubt that that assessment is incorrect.

I’m a big believer that pizza in Illinois is good, but overrated

jersey was recently rated the #1 pizza state in the nation by some publication and although I haven’t been there yet, I’d doubt that that assessment is incorrect.

I’m a big believer that pizza in Illinois is good, but overrated

Not Connecticut?

Not Connecticut?

I think Connecticut has great quality pizza from what I see, but maybe according to this publication not the quantity of a New Jersey

I go to Philly in two weeks for the first time and it if I can swing an extra day out there I may keep going to new haven

Heading to NYC in a week and plan to stop in New Haven on the way to Boston. Any suggestions in either city? We likely are getting burgers in New Haven at Louis’ Lunch, but plan to grab a pizza to go also from somewhere while in town.

Heading to NYC in a week and plan to stop in New Haven on the way to Boston. Any suggestions in either city? We likely are getting burgers in New Haven at Louis’ Lunch, but plan to grab a pizza to go also from somewhere while in town.

Seems like Sally’s or Modern Apizza are the places to go there

Reactions: jberry5
Here are the other 4 places that I mentioned in my recommendations and 1 that I forgot about.

These were Portnoy’s scores:

Sally’s 9.2/10
Modern 8.8/10
Frank Peps 8.5/10
BAR 7.4/10
I’ve actually eaten all these pizzas myself and while Portnoy is something of a pizza connoisseur, I’ll trust my tastebuds and those of people who actually live around here to be the judge.

Frank Pepe’s, Original Sally’s, and Modern Apizza are all excellent. The people around here, myself included, generally prefer Frank Pepe’s over the other two. They are not the same. Their crusts and sauces have subtle, but tangible, differences. Again, they are all excellent and you can’t really go wrong with any of them. Frank Pepe’s was the first, and IMHO, the best of them.

Reactions: jberry5
Some of my favorites in Indiana:

Elkhart - Iechyd Da Brewing Company
Fairmount - Bad Dad Brewing Company
Nashville - Brozinni Pizzeria (another location was mentioned above) & Big Woods Pizza

It's too bad Mike's Italian Grill in Kokomo closed...

Bruno's (not part of the chain or Purdue's) in Plymouth was great but I think it got sold off and I haven't been that way to see if it's still any good.

Last edited:
Honestly, if I'm in Chicago I'd rather have a breaded steak sandwich over pizza or hotdogs.

Some of my favorites in Indiana:

Elkhart - Iechyd Da Brewing Company
Fairmount - Bad Dad Brewing Company
Nashville - Brozinni Pizzeria (another location was mentioned above) & Big Woods Pizza

It's too bad Mike's Italian Grill in Kokomo closed...

Bruno's (not part of the chain or Purdue's) in Plymouth was great but I think it got sold off and I haven't been that way to see if it's still any good.

Hmm didn’t know there was a Brozinni in Nashville. Where at exactly?

Stumbled onto this thread starving so its been rough getting through it all. I live down in Louisiana and I am sure there is good pizza somewhere in the state, but I have not found it yet. Plenty of other good eats though.

Stumbled onto this thread starving so its been rough getting through it all. I live down in Louisiana and I am sure there is good pizza somewhere in the state, but I have not found it yet. Plenty of other good eats though.
I feel like everyone in Louisiana eats crawfish etouffee. Am I right?

Is that a country fried steak?
image.jpeg

Ricobene’s also does a good pizza. Used to bring it a lot to my customers on the south side.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT