ADVERTISEMENT

Deep Dish

It's within the context of the prior post.

Really sorry if you weren't able to follow.

Truly, truly sorry. I should do better.

That's on me.

Next time...
I get the crave theme, but why does it matter if doctors crave it any more than carnival workers..

I get the crave theme, but why does it matter if doctors crave it any more than carnival workers..
Sorry... I missed the additional info that carnival workers were also "hip" on So Italian. Kudos to them!

People in Carmel... 30 minutes away from So Italian in the 'burg, are such fans they desire it, as well. That seems to reinforce the savory goodness of it. If the carnival workers are also clamoring for it, it seems to emphasize the point. No?

Alas, I must have missed the mark again.

As before, major apologies for not spelling it out clearer.

• Haha
Reactions: IUhaterade
Sorry... I missed the additional info that carnival workers were also "hip" on So Italian. Kudos to them!

People in Carmel... 30 minutes away from So Italian in the 'burg, are such fans they desire it, as well. That seems to reinforce the savory goodness of it. If the carnival workers are also clamoring for it, it seems to emphasize the point. No?

Are you the proprietor of the purveyor of this savory goodness?

Italian lineage.. your mother f-ing problem is that when you and I have an opinion about Italian food.. you think they are equal .. they aren’t. It’s not italian food that’s also your food if you feel like it. It’s our food. If your name is Todd and you learned from someone who passed it the F down through a family line.. I’d be willing to listen, but the tie would still go to the runner .. Did you work at John’s of bleecker for 9 years? Ok.. If that was the case you’d be on to something.

If you didn’t learn the food, I really don’t give a flying f what you think. The same way I don’t expect Mexicans in pilsen to give two shits what I think about Mexican food. I don’t walk into garafuna flava or jibaritos y mas and think that I have some sort of influence on whether or not their food is objectively good.

if you told me “hey my grandma is from turkey.. she’s gonna make baklava later and talk about how she makes it” I’d show up and listen and maybe ask questions .. I’d keep my opinions to myself.

if I said the same thing to you, you’d tell grandma that you knew the real baklava and to get out of your way.

that’s the difference between you and I. And what’s even more remarkable is.. not only do you think this makes you something other than an ass hole.. you actually think it makes you a great guy.
You’re just an idiot…..ITALIAN LINEAGE… This is not about “ having some sort of influence”. You and I are having an opinion on regional Italian American pizza and you think you’re the only opinion that matters??? It’s our food dummy. I am an immigrant too and food is an important part of family. How does washing dishes in New York @Johns, make you an expert in thick crust pizza in Chicago? And you can the be only one to voice an opinion? What’s remarkable is you don’t know you need a ton of self-awareness. THAT makes you an a$$hole. I didn’t say anything other than my opinion dish boy.

You’re just an idiot…..ITALIAN LINEAGE… This is not about “ having some sort of influence”. You and I are having an opinion on regional Italian American pizza and you think you’re the only opinion that matters??? It’s our food dummy. I am an immigrant too and food is an important part of family. How does washing dishes in New York @Johns, make you an expert in thick crust pizza in Chicago? And you can the be only one to voice an opinion? What’s remarkable is you don’t know you need a ton of self-awareness. THAT makes you an a$$hole. I didn’t say anything other than my opinion dish boy.

Thank you for saying what almost all of us were avoiding saying.

You’re an Italian immigrant?? If you are and you think Burt’s is outstanding that’s even worse AND you’d be one of the first Italian Americans I know who thinks that.

three pizzas made by Italian immigrants that are absolutely outstanding

Freddy’s Cicero
Giaocchino’s bellwood
Gigio’s uptown

Burt’s is glorified Pizza Hut pan .. it’s only pumped as hard as it is because that’s the most affluent area of Chicago and those people have convinced themselves they have the best of everything.

and I say that actually thinking that Burt Katz, as a guy, was a great guy

Last edited:
Thank you for saying what almost all of us were avoiding saying.
I don’t mind people who aren’t Italian thinking I’m an ass hole about pizza. I blame the Italian community in Chicago for being too weak to stand up to some of the BS as compared to other cities. You ain’t calling no Burt’s the best in New York. It’s not happening.

again, change the topic to Mexican food or Chinese food and watch me go into shut up and listen mode or maybe “this is what I like but I’m no authority” mode.

the reason I react the way I do to Burt’s is because that’s that professional class “oh we will tell all you Italians where the good pizza is” mentality.

the question I like to ask is.. when the Chicago tribune made their top 25 list, what do you think the chances are that.. of the suburban places they picked, 3 of the best are in the north suburbs (very few Italians) and only 2 of the best are in the south burbs (highest concentration) and the list is actually a good list?

By the way, a name like so Italian let’s me know that the owner’s name is probably something like Kevin and therefore the sauce likely wouldn’t register to me. Unless he pulled a Sewell and had the foresight to hire a guy like malnati

By the way, a name like so Italian let’s me know that the owner’s name is probably something like Kevin and therefore the sauce likely wouldn’t register to me. Unless he pulled a Sewell and had the foresight to hire a guy like malnati

I have no idea who the owners are.

They could even be related to your co-workers in the carnival, for all I know.

I have no idea who the owners are.

They could even be related to your co-workers in the carnival, for all I know.
Yawn. So you’re classist and you think that someone who works at a carnival is less than someone who can’t watch a big ten game and tell ... who isn’t that good?

oh I forgot.. doctors like a pizza, so that should mean anything to anyone?

Yawn. So you’re classist and you think that someone who works at a carnival is less than someone who can’t watch a big ten game and tell ... who isn’t that good?

oh I forgot.. doctors like a pizza, so that should mean anything to anyone?
Oh, my deepest apologies.

When you invoked the classist "carnival workers" objection, I thought you were speaking from personal experience. You see, mine was from personal observation ... "personal experience", as it were ... from interacting with the staff at the medical facility quite a few miles away from So Italian, and well out of the way. (Which, by the way, came up during a random conversation, which I was attempting to relate.)

We all come to the table with our personal experiences, so I feel obligated to offer my apologies to you and your fellow carnies.

Oh, my deepest apologies.

When you invoked the classist "carnival workers" objection, I thought you were speaking from personal experience. You see, mine was from personal observation ... "personal experience", as it were ... from interacting with the staff at the medical facility quite a few miles away from So Italian, and well out of the way. (Which, by the way, came up during a random conversation, which I was attempting to relate.)

We all come to the table with our personal experiences, so I feel obligated to offer my apologies to you and your fellow carnies.
I would definitely like carnies more than someone such as yourself ..

I also fail to see how people 30 minutes away liking a place makes it that great in and of itself

i have $20 says “so Italian” is not so Italian lol .. I bet you can taste it in the empty sauce

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
I would definitely like carnies more than someone such as yourself ..

I also fail to see how people 30 minutes away liking a place makes it that great in and of itself

i have $20 says “so Italian” is not so Italian lol .. I bet you can taste it in the empty sauce
In my extensive career I've worked side-by-side with "carnies"... people I doubt you would ever tolerate in your presence.

My point was... is... and remains, that (anecdotally) the So Italian product is fairly good, to the point that people 30+ minutes away crave said product.

I'm deeply sorry that you're such a classist that you're unable to comprehend the point within the context provided. It has nothing to do with the upper class physicians vs. your carnie family, and everything to do with the popularity of a product a local family has developed and refined, to the point they have rabid fans who have many, MANY other options within a much closer reach.

I'm disappointed that you're so hateful you have to reduce it to classism, and other tribal arguments.

My hope for you is that you will simply enjoy life as it's presented... no matter if they measure up to your tribal instincts and exclusionary hurdles.

In my extensive career I've worked side-by-side with "carnies"... people I doubt you would ever tolerate in your presence.

My point was... is... and remains, that (anecdotally) the So Italian product is fairly good, to the point that people 30+ minutes away crave said product.

I'm deeply sorry that you're such a classist that you're unable to comprehend the point within the context provided. It has nothing to do with the upper class physicians vs. your carnie family, and everything to do with the popularity of a product a local family has developed and refined, to the point they have rabid fans who have many, MANY other options within a much closer reach.

I'm disappointed that you're so hateful you have to reduce it to classism, and other tribal arguments.

My hope for you is that you will simply enjoy life as it's presented... no matter if they measure up to your tribal instincts and exclusionary hurdles.
Why do you doubt that? Because I don’t like you?

I presume that other than your message board style and opinions, I don’t know much about you. You could be father of the year/the greatest guy/whatever for all I know.

There’s one person here I think I remotely know.

I have very few people whose presence I won’t tolerate based on a job with low societal status ..

If you knew anything about my background you’d understand why it’s actually hard for me to be around almost anyone I went to grad school or Purdue with. But grocery store baggers, carnies, McDonald’s cashiers.. yeah all day dude. I’m the opposite of the person who jokes around that IU grads are making my fries at McDonald’s. I actually think those jokes are disgusting.

I go to 83rd and cottage grove to get donuts all the time .. and I’m not one of those scary people acting all shifty when I do so my man.

again, in and of itself, people driving 30 minutes to get a pizza place doesn’t necessarily make it any good.

now, if people are driving 30 minutes from Brooklyn or new haven or Chicago heights? Yeah, sure.

let me ask you this. Do yous in Indianapolis have the equivalent of dolinsky ?

Why do you doubt that? Because I don’t like you?

I presume that other than your message board style and opinions, I don’t know much about you. You could be father of the year/the greatest guy/whatever for all I know.

There’s one person here I think I remotely know.

I have very few people whose presence I won’t tolerate based on a job with low societal status ..

If you knew anything about my background you’d understand why it’s actually hard for me to be around almost anyone I went to grad school or Purdue with. But grocery store baggers, carnies, McDonald’s cashiers.. yeah all day dude. I’m the opposite of the person who jokes around that IU grads are making my fries at McDonald’s. I actually think those jokes are disgusting.

I go to 83rd and cottage grove to get donuts all the time .. and I’m not one of those scary people acting all shifty when I do so my man.

again, in and of itself, people driving 30 minutes to get a pizza place doesn’t necessarily make it any good.

now, if people are driving 30 minutes from Brooklyn or new haven or Chicago heights? Yeah, sure.
Look BC, I have tried to stay out of this.

I don't post a lot but man, can you give it a rest?

I don't particularly care what a carnie or a doctor thinks about their favorite pizza. But to paraphrase your quote that I bolded above, Just because someone whose relative was born in Italy likes a pizza place doesn’t necessarily make it any good either.

I have worked with many who were born in other countries and have shared many interesting and insightful conversations about "their food" and the "their food"-American versions of it and have learned to make many authentic foods. There is validity to it if you are looking for an authentic experience.

You could spend your efforts educating us what you think makes a good sauce or a good crust or the best toppings but, dude, all you do is whine about others and put down their pizza choices.

I learned a lot about authentic Indian food over Indian-American from my good friends Minhaj, Meera, and Partha.

I learned a lot about authentic German food over German-American from a coworker Gunther.

I learned a LOT about authentic Chinese food over Chinese-American from Xuli, Yang, and Jain.

I learned a lot about Peruvian food over well I learned about Peruvian food from Nury.

I learned a lot about authentic Mexican food over Mexican-American or even Tex-Mex from a good friend Romelia.

And I learned a lot about authentic Italian over Italian-American from my good friend Claudio.

They were all BORN AND RAISED in their homelands so as far as I am concerned they are far more authentic that someone whose ancestor immigrated here.

I seriously doubt that you and Claudio would have the same taste in pizza, but since you just say what you don't like, there is really no way to know.

Please back off the rhetoric and share what YOU find is a good slice.

The rest of us will thank you.

Look BC, I have tried to stay out of this.

I don't post a lot but man, can you give it a rest?

I don't particularly care what a carnie or a doctor thinks about their favorite pizza. But to paraphrase your quote that I bolded above, Just because someone whose relative was born in Italy likes a pizza place doesn’t necessarily make it any good either.

I have worked with many who were born in other countries and have shared many interesting and insightful conversations about "their food" and the "their food"-American versions of it and have learned to make many authentic foods. There is validity to it if you are looking for an authentic experience.

You could spend your efforts educating us what you think makes a good sauce or a good crust or the best toppings but, dude, all you do is whine about others and put down their pizza choices.

I learned a lot about authentic Indian food over Indian-American from my good friends Minhaj, Meera, and Partha.

I learned a lot about authentic German food over German-American from a coworker Gunther.

I learned a LOT about authentic Chinese food over Chinese-American from Xuli, Yang, and Jain.

I learned a lot about Peruvian food over well I learned about Peruvian food from Nury.

I learned a lot about authentic Mexican food over Mexican-American or even Tex-Mex from a good friend Romelia.

And I learned a lot about authentic Italian over Italian-American from my good friend Claudio.

They were all BORN AND RAISED in their homelands so as far as I am concerned they are far more authentic that someone whose ancestor immigrated here.

I seriously doubt that you and Claudio would have the same taste in pizza, but since you just say what you don't like, there is really no way to know.

Please back off the rhetoric and share what YOU find is a good slice.

The rest of us will thank you.

ah one of the foremost tactics of professional class types who want to look down from on high and tell people about their food .. when doing so should make you feel gross.

“the real Italian food is in Italy.”

many Italians came here and began doing the same things their families were doing in Italy, varying only based on availability of ingredients. The southern Italian American staples were based on what was available.

I’ll still take the sauce my grandma made on the hill in the heights over anything you’d make or anything people come up with in culinary school... just because she wasn’t doing it in downtown Naples.

I consider tacos made by a third generation Mexican American who learned the food through a family lineage to be vastly superior to what you would make.

You have the same problem flot has.

“You learned the food from your grandma who learned her sauce recipe from her mom and so on through the generations, and you know, I know a guy and I like things, our opinion has equal validity, right?”

No it doesn’t.

I’ve had a three hour conversation with a guy at Purdue while he made pork tenderloin sandwiches the way his grandfather did. I’d still feel gross telling someone from Indy or Iowa what the best place is. Instead I’d be honored If they told me. Cause pork tenderloins aren’t my f-ing business.

I can’t even imagine telling the most outspoken person that the real food is in the country their family came from.

this intolerance comes from my brothers in laws. Straight out of Mexico in San Jose. They aren’t hearing the first thing you have to say about Mexican food. And they told me when I was young that I should be the same way. And you know what, they were right. Don’t believe me? Go out there and start telling people about tacos.

By the way, I hope you understand an important distinction. I don’t have a problem with “I like Burt’s.” People can like whatever they want. It’s when they start calling things objectively outstanding or the best that I take issue.

and I gave everyone a place in Indy that I believe is good. Goodfellas. Portnoy gave them an 8.1.. and unlike 99.9% of people with an opinion, he put the work in to justify his opinion. Funny enough the guy who has rated more places than anyone never seems to go into a City and disregard the old Italian places the way that bloggers seem to.

But to answer the question, what should be good to some guy for himself? Whatever the hell he wants.. I’m not eating it.

You’re an Italian immigrant?? If you are and you think Burt’s is outstanding that’s even worse AND you’d be one of the first Italian Americans I know who thinks that.

three pizzas made by Italian immigrants that are absolutely outstanding

Freddy’s Cicero
Giaocchino’s bellwood
Gigio’s uptown

Burt’s is glorified Pizza Hut pan .. it’s only pumped as hard as it is because that’s the most affluent area of Chicago and those people have convinced themselves they have the best of everything.

and I say that actually thinking that Burt Katz, as a guy, was a great guy
Again, dish-boy, what makes you an expert? Because you’re Italian? Your self-awareness is awful. I commented on a regional pizza thread where you slammed all comments and other “great” regional pizza locations. I commented on the fact I’ve tried deep dish numerous times in Chicago, and I don’t care for the thickness and use of cornmeal in some of the crust versions.

I was fortunate to eat at Burts with my family of picky eaters and they all loved it as did I. I also had an outstanding conversation with Burt a few months before he died talking about cooking from a chef perspective. I am a chef who loves recipes from people who are successful replicating basic ingredients into glorious dishes, no matter their background. Burt was a great guy, but his product was crap? Your opinion and that comment speaks volumes about you. He was successful in opening 2 restaurants that are operations still today.

I value my heritage of poor immigrants that came to the USA and brought great recipes. They fed you because they loved you. I value those dishes and share with anyone who wants the recipe.

You are a bully and have some other issues about people that are probably more successful than you. There’s something there. I need to remind myself to stop slumming on the free board.

Again, dish-boy, what makes you an expert? Because you’re Italian? Your self-awareness is awful. I commented on a regional pizza thread where you slammed all comments and other “great” regional pizza locations. I commented on the fact I’ve tried deep dish numerous times in Chicago, and I don’t care for the thickness and use of cornmeal in some of the crust versions.

I was fortunate to eat at Burts with my family of picky eaters and they all loved it as did I. I also had an outstanding conversation with Burt a few months before he died talking about cooking from a chef perspective. I am a chef who loves recipes from people who are successful replicating basic ingredients into glorious dishes, no matter their background. Burt was a great guy, but his product was crap? Your opinion and that comment speaks volumes about you. He was successful in opening 2 restaurants that are operations still today.

I value my heritage of poor immigrants that came to the USA and brought great recipes. They fed you because they loved you. I value those dishes and share with anyone who wants the recipe.

You are a bully and have some other issues about people that are probably more successful than you. There’s something there. I need to remind myself to stop slumming on the free board.
Yes! Two things in tandem make me an expert .. being Italian and growing up learning the food.

if you’re Italian but you didn’t grow up with the food then it doesn’t matter.. if you aren’t Italian but you did learn for years like Rick bay less with Mexican food ... it’s not likely you’ve put the same number of hours as those who have both in tandem, but you’re much more qualified than someone who knows a guy, has been to a place or thinks things ...

the fact that you don’t understand that and you think I’m the ass hole is beyond hilarious.

it’s the equivalent of you seeing Larry bird after he shot 10,000 jumpers a day every day and then telling him you like to shoot jumpers too so you know shooting better than he does

and I’m aware moron. I’m not being as ass hole without knowing it. I try to be one on this topic ... because I’m tired of hearing nonsense from professional class types who think they know better

And there it is. No, you’re a piece of crap professional class twerp who thinks you’re better than other people..

you may be a better engineer or doctor or whatever it is than everyone else on the planet. The problem is, people like you turn around and start in with this whole “I must know everything better than everyone. I’m more successful cause I’m a better person.” Thomas frank wrote about people like you in the book listen liberal.

You’re not ever telling me about this... I don’t care if you’re the most successful man on the planet ..

I guess I am pretty simple. I like Lou's and other deep dish in Chicago. I like Buddy's Detroit style. I like thin crusts that I've had out of Naples ovens in NYC and Napoli. I like New Haven apizzas. I like Bruno's, Arni's, and Pizza King. I even enjoyed Garcia's and Veno's while in school. I enjoy what is available where I am at the time. Call me names if you want but this argument has become pretty stupid!

Reactions: Purdue85
I guess I am pretty simple. I like Lou's and other deep dish in Chicago. I like Buddy's Detroit style. I like thin crusts that I've had out of Naples ovens in NYC and Napoli. I like New Haven apizzas. I like Bruno's, Arni's, and Pizza King. I even enjoyed Garcia's and Veno's while in school. I enjoy what is available where I am at the time. Call me names if you want but this argument has become pretty stupid!

wait.. except there is nothing with what you just said. Applause.

what you didn’t say was “x is outstanding”..

I personally enjoy little caesars

Pizza is drunk food for college kids with the munchies.

Let's get into barbecue. :cool:
I’d love to despite vehement disagreement with your first statement ...

I had Smoque in Chicago and thought it was good BBQ, but admittedly know very little about what makes BBQ good. Any you recommend within a couple hours of Chicago? I know there’s one way up in northern Wisconsin that is supposed to be very good.

And there it is. No, you’re a piece of crap professional class twerp who thinks you’re better than other people..

you may be a better engineer or doctor or whatever it is than everyone else on the planet. The problem is, people like you turn around and start in with this whole “I must know everything better than everyone. I’m more successful cause I’m a better person.” Thomas frank wrote about people like you in the book listen liberal.

You’re not ever telling me about this... I don’t care if you’re the most successful man on the planet ..
The level of cluelessness you possess is mind-numbing. I never said I was better than everyone. That’s your hang up and its sad. I called you a bully because of every crapy response you made to EVERYONE that had an opinion on what they like to eat.

BTW- my dad was the first in his family to graduate from college, and Purdue made a big difference in his life. I’m also a conservative. Man you’re so insightful. If you are a ditch-digger fine. What I only care is how you have responded to the rest of us and you are clearly not getting it.

Last edited:
Yes! Two things in tandem make me an expert .. being Italian and growing up learning the food.

if you’re Italian but you didn’t grow up with the food then it doesn’t matter.. if you aren’t Italian but you did learn for years like Rick bay less with Mexican food ... it’s not likely you’ve put the same number of hours as those who have both in tandem, but you’re much more qualified than someone who knows a guy, has been to a place or thinks things ...

the fact that you don’t understand that and you think I’m the ass hole is beyond hilarious.

it’s the equivalent of you seeing Larry bird after he shot 10,000 jumpers a day every day and then telling him you like to shoot jumpers too so you know shooting better than he does

and I’m aware moron. I’m not being as ass hole without knowing it. I try to be one on this topic ... because I’m tired of hearing nonsense from professional class types who think they know better
Those two things would have been wonderful to know about you if you weren’t a bully. I would have loved to get the other three pizza joints you provided. But you strutted here in a$$hole mode. I am very respectful of simple, peasant food from all nationalities because of my family’s poor upbringing. I am also a chef moron and have put in tons of hours with food from many of these nationalities. Your examples of Rick Bayless and Larry Bird are awful. I’m also having a tough time following your logic but I’m admiring your poor sentence structure. Try responding better to others next time.

Last edited:
Those two things would have been wonderful to know about you if you weren’t a bully. I would have loved to get the other three pizza joints you provided. But you strutted here in a$$hole mode. I am very respectful of simple, peasant food from all nationalities because of my family’s poor upbringing. I am also a chef moron and have put in tons of hours with food from many of these nationalities. Your examples of Rick Bayless and Larry Bird are awful. I’m also having a tough time following your logic but I’m admiring your poor sentence structure. Try responding better to others next time.

I don’t disagree with someone strongly and decide “oh because we disagree they must be a piece of crap mfer.” We disagree.. we had a strong exchange about it. Where I grew up this is actually how you meet a lot of your best friends.

I think it’s highly possible that I may be worse than I think I am but not quite as bad as you and 85 think lol

Reactions: wakeman2626
I don’t disagree with someone strongly and decide “oh because we disagree they must be a piece of crap mfer.” We disagree.. we had a strong exchange about it. Where I grew up this is actually how you meet a lot of your best friends.

I think it’s highly possible that I may be worse than I think I am but not quite as bad as you and 85 think lol
"85"?? Assuming you mean me?

So... in your mind, exactly how bad do you believe I think of you?

(Asking, because I don't ever recall making that judgement either in my mind or in writing on this forum.)

Standing by...

"85"?? Assuming you mean me?

So... in your mind, exactly how bad do you believe I think of you?

(Asking, because I don't ever recall making that judgement either in my mind or in writing on this forum.)

Standing by...
I would say a reasonable person could infer that it’s around where flot puts me. Like I said, when it comes to all of you I presume that I don’t know the first thing about you other than your opinions

The level of cluelessness you possess is mind-numbing. I never said I was better than everyone. That’s your hang up and its sad. I called you a bully because of every crapy response you made to EVERYONE that had an opinion on what they like to eat.

BTW- my dad was the first in his family to graduate from college, and Purdue made a big difference in his life. I’m also a conservative. Man you’re so insightful. If you are a ditch-digger fine. What I only care is how you have responded to the rest of us and you are clearly not getting it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT