ADVERTISEMENT

Deep Dish

BSpecial

All-American
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2006
DD pizza is for tourists who think Giordanos or Ginos East is worth waiting in line for. Disgusting.

Greasy NY/NJ fold-up-the-slice is the way to go. If you disagree, just come to the realization that you’re wrong now.

flatten;crop;jpeg_quality=70

1. Deep dish isn’t disgusting but I would agree it’s overrated

2. Detroit style is absolutely it’s own category of pizza

3. New York style is pretty damn good but I refuse to fold my pizza slice. I’ll leave that to the east coast savages

3. New York style is pretty damn good but I refuse to fold my pizza slice. I’ll leave that to the east coast savages
New Haven style > New York style > Deep Dish > Detroit style

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
Pizza Hut hasn't been that good in a long time.
Pizza Hut started in Wichita, KS, I believe. Nice try......

Ever of heard Frank Pepe's, Original Sally's Apizza, Modern Apizza, Zuppardi's? New Haven and New Haven County, CT has some of the best pizza in the world.

Reactions: timster
Sorry, I’ve never seen a golden god go anywhere near New Haven, and New York is where dreams go to die so:

Chicago style > Detroit style > New York style > New Haven style
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy deep dish as much as the next guy, but deep dish has way too much crust and not enough of the rest of the good stuff. Gino's is pretty good. I've been there a few times myself and liked it.

Well, Obama isn't golden, but he ate at Pepe's a few times I'd bet, as he went to Yale. George HW Bush and George W Bush did as well, I believe.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy deep dish as much as the next guy, but deep dish has way too much crust and not enough of the rest of the good stuff. Gino's is pretty good. I've been there a few times myself and liked it.

Well, Obama isn't golden, but he ate at Pepe's a few times I'd bet, as he went to Yale. George HW Bush and George W Bush did as well, I believe.
That's why Oley's on the East Side of Fort Wayne is superior. Deep dish, double crust. A thin crust, lots of toppings, another thin crust and even more toppings.

10481930_728469700564940_1585422090591557608_o.jpg

Now that is how you do a deep dish pizza.

Reactions: dwidwi

I'm an East Coast and I have never folded a slice. One of my faves out here is Grotto Pizza

Last edited:
DD pizza is for tourists who think Giordanos or Ginos East is worth waiting in line for. Disgusting.

Greasy NY/NJ fold-up-the-slice is the way to go. If you disagree, just come to the realization that you’re wrong now.

flatten;crop;jpeg_quality=70
Malnati’s is good.. my first questions when a style of pizza comes up Is “who is making it and what’s in it?” You could tell me the crust is an inch thick or paper thin.. I wanna know if I taste a good Italian sauce or if it sucks

may top 6 in Chicago area so far (been trying a new one almost every week):

Freddy’s - Cicero
Giaocchino’s - Bellwood
Panino’s - Wrigleyville
Spacca Napoli - ravenswood
Bartolini’s - midlothian
Gigio’s - Uptown

You know what’s way worse than pizza with a certain thickness of crust either way? Pizza that isn’t made by Italians or people who learned from Italians .. I really don’t need to hear another person pump a pizza place in a gentrified neighborhood that’s owned and operated by a guy named chad.

and what is it? When you go? It’s shit that we wouldn’t feed to our dogs.

I’ve never understood why the food of my people is the most bastardized and makes people feel like they should comment the most. If you told me “hey there are some Turkish people.. go over there and tell them about good baklava” I’d reply “ehh.. I’d feel disgusting doing that, sorry. I don’t know shit about what makes good baklava.”

one thing I’ve learned is that Steve dolinsky does have a point with “PIGUE” or “Pizza I grew up eating.” Most people love that forever.. and Insist it’s the best. I grew up eating Aurelio’s.. I think it’s good. Better than low rent stuff you find in the north suburbs, nowhere near as good as bartolini’s. People in the middle of nowhere will often prefer Pizza Hut over the best stuff in Chicago. That’s what they grew up with. People in the Purdue area think that pizza king is something other than dog shit.

also, having never been to New York, I still believe New York has to have better pizza than Chicago. Just by going to the places that serve New York pizza where I’ve had New Yorkers say “that’s pretty good.”

That's why Oley's on the East Side of Fort Wayne is superior. Deep dish, double crust. A thin crust, lots of toppings, another thin crust and even more toppings.

10481930_728469700564940_1585422090591557608_o.jpg

Now that is how you do a deep dish pizza.
I can tell by the name that the sauce probably tastes like empty shit unless you grew up eating chef boyardee and meatloaf, then it’s probably dope

Bird's Lounge in East Chicago - Best Pizza in Da Region and anywhere else for that matter!

oh god, this is like when I am talking pizza with a bunch of people from the south burbs and here comes someone’s friend from Hammond like “Dante’s house of pizza, best ever,” and all I hear is the Aflac duck after that.

but nothing is worse than north siders, north suburbanites and people from gentrified neighborhoods that try to tell you that non Italian shit is the best. Barnaby’s and pequod are C- at best.. probably worse than Bird’s ..

oh god, this is like when I am talking pizza with a bunch of people from the south burbs and here comes someone’s friend from Hammond like “Dante’s house of pizza, best ever,” and all I hear is the Aflac duck after that.

but nothing is worse than north siders, north suburbanites and people from gentrified neighborhoods that try to tell you that non Italian shit is the best. Barnaby’s and pequod are C- at best.. probably worse than Bird’s ..
How do feel about Giordano’s? A good stuffed pie?

Edwardo’s? Aurelio’s old oven?

How do feel about Giordano’s? A good stuffed pie?

Edwardo’s? Aurelio’s old oven?
Giordano’s has good sauce full of flavor .. it’s not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Don’t remember the last time I had edwardo’s.. Aurelio’s is really good. I used to think it’s the best. I grew up there. There are a good amount of better places

Giordano’s has good sauce full of flavor .. it’s not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Don’t remember the last time I had edwardo’s.. Aurelio’s is really good. I used to think it’s the best. I grew up there. There are a good amount of better places
Old oven, right?

Meet you at Arnie’s!!

but in all seriousness, to anyone who think I’m a Chicago snob, I agree with @SDBoiler1 that pizza on the east coast just has to be better. Also, I find Chicago pizza opinion to be absolutely terrible.

Freddy’s pizza was one of four places on the pizza show on the Chicago episode, and you won’t even find it on a top FIFTY list in Chicago. Bartolini’s got best spaghetti and meatballs in America .. their owners are making the sauce and dough from scratch every day.. same, never got top 50.

what will get top 25? Any pizza place opened up by a chef named Carl or Cecily in a gentrified neighborhood in Chicago. I went to a supposedly top 10 place in the city and it was absolutely awful, bob’s in Pilsen. And people on the internet were like “yeah forget about the sauce, there’s beer in the dough!”

Chicago can’t complain to New York or new haven for two reasons

1) there is no lineage to Italy. Italians came here, but pizza didn’t really take off in Chicago until post world war 2 when vets came back from Europe .. where as in New York, Italians came here and began doing what they were doing in Italy modifying only for availability of ingredients.

2) the pizzas in Chicago in the 1940s and beyond were crafted with externalities in mind.. like keeping drunks drinking at bars .. it wasn’t pizza for the sake of pizza, it was “let’s change it to make it more like peanuts.”

so I don’t want anyone thinking that despite my sheer hatred for pizza king .. I think Chicago is like the Mecca of pizza. It’s not

Why not? So much football going on .. let’s talk food.. best burgers in Chicago

Gretel
The stopalong
Fatso’s last stand

in that order. The dirty burg is overrated

I’ve never lived in Chicago so I have no input, but I already know that your taste is way different than mine.

Pizza Hut started in Wichita, KS, I believe. Nice try......

Ever of heard Frank Pepe's, Original Sally's Apizza, Modern Apizza, Zuppardi's? New Haven and New Haven County, CT has some of the best pizza in the world.
I am setting up a vacation trip location specifically so I drive through New Haven so I spend the night there to eat pizza both ways. Can’t wait to try this regional pizza.

I am not a huge fan of the thicker Chicago deep dish (like Giordano’s or Uno’s). Its good but the crust tastes too much like cornmeal to me. I like this regional pizza but I recommend that you try Burt’s Place in Morton Grove (near Chicago). OUTSTANDING deep dish.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT