ADVERTISEMENT

Dakich on Eric Anderson, "Eric didn't require $100,000 to attend iu like a current player did."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. Is this better? Romeo went to the highest bidder, and it was IU. Once upon a time good players went to IU, because they wanted to play for IU.

It won't fly with Bay Area Boiler...…..you have to understand that he gets very triggered by any IU slant whatsoever.

So do you have his Dad's 1099? Just curious how you determined that he claimed his AAU income. Im sure none of these guys were receiving 1099's to claim this income. If so, this technically isn't illegal but the FBI found some wrong doing or these guys wouldn't be receiving criminal charges.

That’s really irrelevant. The only complicit thing Langford’s dad could be caught up in is failing to claim income from the money he received from Adidas. Given the magnitude of the FBI’s investigation, it speaks loudly that Langford hasn’t been indicted by the FBI for any white collar crimes. And even if he didn’t claim income and committed tax evasion, that doesn’t make his son ineligible. To my knowledge there’s no NCAA rule that states a player is ineligible if a family member is charged with a federal crime.

As far as the ethics in all this? It’s definitely a gray area matter with easy loopholes to navigate. But again it isn’t against NCAA rules and honestly I don’t know how you regulate it? Bagley and Langford receive the attention because they’re prized recruits but there are several AAU teams who are run and sponsored by these shoe companies who have sons that are D1 prospects. But because they aren’t a Langford or a Bagley and end up at a low major it’s easy to look past.

That’s really irrelevant. The only complicit thing Langford’s dad could be caught up in is failing to claim income from the money he received from Adidas. Given the magnitude of the FBI’s investigation, it speaks loudly that Langford hasn’t been indicted by the FBI for any white collar crimes. And even if he didn’t claim income and committed tax evasion, that doesn’t make his son ineligible. To my knowledge there’s no NCAA rule that states a player is ineligible if a family member is charged with a federal crime.

As far as the ethics in all this? It’s definitely a gray area matter with easy loopholes to navigate. But again it isn’t against NCAA rules and honestly I don’t know how you regulate it? Bagley and Langford receive the attention because they’re prized recruits but there are several AAU teams who are run and sponsored by these shoe companies who have sons that are D1 prospects. But because they aren’t a Langford or a Bagley and end up at a low major it’s easy to look past.
Not relevant to your case or statement. I agree with that 100%. Problem with that thinking is that there will be more Bowen's out there that get passed on because of the baggage they bring. Maybe the FBI will encourage the NCAA to make a claim of professionalism once benefits have been made directly or indirectly to a recruit. This is exactly why I don't believe lobbyist should be involved to sway politicians seems dirty to sway legislation one way or another to benefit companies and I believe in big business but not corruption.

It won't fly with Bay Area Boiler...…..you have to understand that he gets very triggered by any IU slant whatsoever.

If by triggered you mean objective then sure. Nothing I’ve said regarding Romeo’s recruitment has been anything but fact.

FACT: Adidas sponsoring Tim Langford’s 22Vision AAU program does not violate NCAA rule

FACT: Adidas signed 22Vision before Archie Miller was the coach. To insinuate that Archie or anybody associated with IU had a hand in any of that delegation is pure conjecture with no supporting evidence.

Any objective person or anybody that has a fundamental grasp of the NCAA rule book should be able to note there’s no wrong doing on Langford or IU’s part. Does Langford’s recruit push some buttons in the ethics department? Probably, but it doesn’t violate any current rule.

Not relevant to your case or statement. I agree with that 100%. Problem with that thinking is that there will be more Bowen's out there that get passed on because of the baggage they bring. Maybe the FBI will encourage the NCAA to make a claim of professionalism once benefits have been made directly or indirectly to a recruit. This is exactly why I don't believe lobbyist should be involved to sway politicians seems dirty to sway legislation one way or another to benefit companies and I believe in big business but not corruption.

Bowen’s case is what the NCAA is trying to weed out and that’s the real corruption in college basketball. There’s no loophole in his case. He was in direct violation of NCAA impermissible benefits that was facilitated by a member school. Until the NCAA comes out and deems that shoe companies and universities are associated in the same light, I think you’ll see this loophole continue to be a problem.

If by triggered you mean objective then sure. Nothing I’ve said regarding Romeo’s recruitment has been anything but fact.

FACT: Adidas sponsoring Tim Langford’s 22Vision AAU program does not violate NCAA rule

FACT: Adidas signed 22Vision before Archie Miller was the coach. To insinuate that Archie or anybody associated with IU had a hand in any of that delegation is pure conjecture with no supporting evidence.

Any objective person or anybody that has a fundamental grasp of the NCAA rule book should be able to note there’s no wrong doing on Langford or IU’s part. Does Langford’s recruit
push some buttons in the ethics department
? Probably, but it doesn’t violate any current rule.

No...…..I mean triggered by anything IU. But at least I got you to say it pushes some ethics buttons.....hmmm, you think? Cheating is cheating.

Reactions: Cleanface
No...…..I mean triggered by anything IU. But at least I got you to say it pushes some ethics buttons.....hmmm, you think? Cheating is cheating.

We agree for once, cheating is cheating. There’s no cheating involved in Langford’s recruitment. So we can agree IU didn’t cheat while recruiting Langford? That’s really what I’ve said from the start, there’s nothing illegal about Lamgford’s recruitment that would make Langford ineligible or put IU at risk for potential violations. Being able to acknowledge this makes me objective.

Saying things like “IU was the highest bidder” or “because Archie is Sean’s brother and because we think Sean cheated and Archie once coached with him way back when ipso-facto he’s now a cheater” insinuating violations were committed and rules were broken in jest because they’re a rival is not looking at this objectively. Hope that clears things up.

Nope, but his comment that Romeo did was wrong. It's a troll job. I would have thought you guys would realize Dakich doesnt know sh*t after he proclaimed Brohm to Louisville was a done deal.
Sorry, but Dan knows one hell of a lot about IU and the inner-workings. If he says the deal is dirty, get the vacuum out.

But, Romeo's name keeps coming up more and more. Smoke = fire and heat.

Reactions: boilers-seminoles
We agree for once, cheating is cheating. There’s no cheating involved in Langford’s recruitment. So we can agree IU didn’t cheat while recruiting Langford? That’s really what I’ve said from the start, there’s nothing illegal about Lamgford’s recruitment that would make Langford ineligible or put IU at risk for potential violations. Being able to acknowledge this makes me objective.

Saying things like “IU was the highest bidder” or “because Archie is Sean’s brother and because we think Sean cheated and Archie once coached with him way back when ipso-facto he’s now a cheater” insinuating violations were committed and rules were broken in jest because they’re a rival is not looking at this objectively. Hope that clears things up.

Gaining an unfair advantage. Cheating. This did happen.

But, Romeo's name keeps coming up more and more. Smoke = fire and heat.

Coming up where? By Dakich? The WaPo article that shed light on the Langford’s recruitment acknowledge nothing broke NCAA violations. The article wasn’t a hit piece on the Langford’s or IU, it was written to shed light on a glaring loophole.

Gaining an unfair advantage. Cheating. This did happen.

How is that cheating? Things like NCAA violations are black and white, they’re written rules. Either you break NCAA rules and subsequently cheating or you don’t break NCAA violation and aren’t cheating. Gaining an unfair advantage isn’t cheating in this scenario by any means.

How is that cheating? Things like NCAA violations are black and white, they’re written rules. Either you break NCAA rules and subsequently cheating or you don’t break NCAA violation and aren’t cheating. Gaining an unfair advantage isn’t cheating in this scenario by any means.

That is the definition of cheating...…..in any scenario. Curious, do you get on the IU forum and defend any and all derogatory statements made toward your beloved Boilermakers?

That is the definition of cheating...…..in any scenario. Curious, do you get on the IU forum and defend any and all derogatory statements made toward your beloved Boilermakers?

Again, cite the NCAA rule that Langford and/or IU violated in regards to his recruitment? And, “he committed an NCAA violation because PU Pitt Bull said so” doesn’t count. I want to know what specific rule Langford and/or IU is in violation of?

And that would require me to get on the IU board. I really don’t care. Just hate when people from this fan base go to these lengths to throw out these accusations that are so far off base. There is absolutely nothing illegal about Romeo’s recruit (from a NCAA stand point) that implicates Romeo or IU and there’s literally a precedented case from last year (Bagley) that parallels that sentiment.

Last edited:
He didn't claim the cash . He bankrupt the aau team after one tournament. He then kept the rest of the cash, supposedly around 125k.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
Again, cite the NCAA rule that Langford and/or IU violated in regards to his recruitment? And, “he committed an NCAA violation because PU Pitt Bull said so” doesn’t count. I want to know what specific rule Langford and/or IU is in violation of?

And that would require me to get on the IU board. I really don’t care. Just hate when people from this fan base go to these lengths to throw out these accusations that are so far off base. There is absolutely nothing illegal about Romeo’s recruit (from a NCAA stand point) that implicates Romeo or IU and there’s literally a precedented case from last year (Bagley) that parallels that sentiment.

Now I have a question...…….because I know that there has to be more depth to your Mr. Spock persona than you lead on. You mentioned that the dealing was unethical, which I think most would agree was, at the very least. Why would you consider it unethical......or what would you consider unethical about it.

Now I have a question...…….because I know that there has to be more depth to your Mr. Spock persona than you lead on. You mentioned that the dealing was unethical, which I think most would agree was, at the very least. Why would you consider it unethical......or what would you consider unethical about it.

There’s no question that Mr. Langford used his sons god-given athletic ability to receive a financial gain. That WaPo article acknowledges the Langford’s have had recent financial troubles and filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy a few years ago. I would consider that unethical but at the same time can acknowledge it doesn’t break an NCAA rule. And certainly it doesn’t implicate IU. Adidas and 22 Vision reaches an agreement in January of 2017. Archie didn’t become IU’s head coach until April of 2017. The FBI probe wasn’t revealed until September of 2017. I absolutely believe if the FBI probe never occurred, Romeo is playing for Pitino at Louisville. I also absolutely believe Romeo fell into the lap of Archie Miller.

But unethical and blatant cheating aren’t mutually exclusive. I believe it’s unethical for a coach to pull a scholarship at the 11th hour but doesn’t come close to cross the lines of cheating. I think it’s unethical that amateur athletes can’t profit off their image and likeness but fully accept it’s the best avenue to the NBA. Same thoughts with Langford and Indiana. I don’t ever believe Painter would get his feet wet with a situation like this, but at the same time I wouldn’t be crying foul if Langford truly wanted to be at Purdue. I do feel what is lost in all this is that Romeo seems like a very genuine and shy kid who doesn’t realize what is happening around him. I think he’s extremely naive. I think Langford’s dad is taking full advantage of an extremely rare talent, but I don’t think there’s any malicious activity by IU or the Langford’s.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
There’s no question that Mr. Langford used his sons god-given athletic ability to receive a financial gain. That WaPo article acknowledges the Langford’s have had recent financial troubles and filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy a few years ago. I would consider that unethical but at the same time can acknowledge it doesn’t break an NCAA rule. And certainly it doesn’t implicate IU. Adidas and 22 Vision reaches an agreement in January of 2017. Archie didn’t become IU’s head coach until April of 2017. The FBI probe wasn’t revealed until September of 2017. I absolutely believe if the FBI probe never occurred, Romeo is playing for Pitino at Louisville. I also absolutely believe Romeo fell into the lap of Archie Miller.

But unethical and blatant cheating aren’t mutually exclusive. I believe it’s unethical for a coach to pull a scholarship at the 11th hour but doesn’t come close to cross the lines of cheating. I think it’s unethical that amateur athletes can’t profit off their image and likeness but fully accept it’s the best avenue to the NBA. Same thoughts with Langford and Indiana. I don’t ever believe Painter would get his feet wet with a situation like this, but at the same time I wouldn’t be crying foul if Langford truly wanted to be at Purdue. I do feel what is lost in all this is that Romeo seems like a very genuine and shy kid who doesn’t realize what is happening around him. I think he’s extremely naive. I think Langford’s dad is taking full advantage of an extremely rare talent, but I don’t think there’s any malicious activity by IU or the Langford’s.
Is it possible that you didn't mean this,"But unethical and blatant cheating aren’t mutually exclusive" and instead meant that unethical and blatant cheating are not always the same? When you type a lot after awhile things don't come out exactly like you want...at least to me that happens.

Is it possible that you didn't mean this,"But unethical and blatant cheating aren’t mutually exclusive" and instead meant that unethical and blatant cheating are not always the same? When you type a lot after awhile things don't come out exactly like you want...at least to me that happens.

Sure, if it reads better. The BART this time of day is next level madness. Typing on my phone while standing is tricky. Just trying to illustrate that something that may come off as unethical doesn’t necessarily violate the written law.

Would you go as far as including Archie/IU into this unethical chain of events? I would hope so, or Romeo is not the only one who is being naïve.

Would you go as far as including Archie/IU into this unethical chain of events? I would hope so, or Romeo is not the only one who is being naïve.

I wouldn’t. Again, there is no NCAA rule that states a parent/guardian can’t run and profit as a director of a sponsored AAU team. There is literally no rule that prohibits this. None. The second Romeo left EG10 (also sponsored by Adidas, same team Sasha played for with Romeo, same program Brantley came from, same program my older brother volunteers at) to play for newly Adidas sponsored 22 vision, every coach in America knew he was going to end up at an Adidas sponsored college. And this isn’t news to anybody, it literally happens every year. Every coach in America understands the influence that shoe companies/AAU sponsored programs have in a prospective recruits college decision.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Nope, but his comment that Romeo did was wrong. It's a troll job. I would have thought you guys would realize Dakich doesnt know sh*t after he proclaimed Brohm to Louisville was a done deal.

Addidas paid his father somewhere between 100k - 150k as director for 22Vision. I don't thinks this is a unfounded rumor. Check the Washington Post article.. He was up for sale to the highest bidder.
Wow, I wonder then what Adidas had to give Dale Davis for IU to get TJD? And another $100K might need to go to Brooks if he picks IU! Adidas must love the Hoosiers. :D

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
I wouldn’t. Again, there is no NCAA rule that states a parent/guardian can’t run and profit as a director of a sponsored AAU team. There is literally no rule that prohibits this. None. The second Romeo left EG10 (also sponsored by Adidas, same team Sasha played for with Romeo, same program Brantley came from, same program my older brother volunteers at) to play for newly Adidas sponsored 22 vision, every coach in America knew he was going to end up at an Adidas sponsored college. And this isn’t news to anybody, it literally happens every year. Every coach in America understands the influence that shoe companies/AAU sponsored programs have in a prospective recruits college decision.

And yet, you said, " I don’t ever believe Painter would get his feet wet with a situation like this....."
Could Archie have stepped away from this? Did he choose to look the other way?
I'm not sure why this is such a big jump for you, but I will leave you to your thoughts on this matter.

And yet, you said, " I don’t ever believe Painter would get his feet wet with a situation like this....."
Could Archie have stepped away from this? Did he choose to look the other way?
I'm not sure why this is such a big jump for you, but I will leave you to your thoughts on this matter.

When you say things like, “Archie chose to look the other way”, you’re implying that Archie and IU were complicit in breaking NCAA violations in order to secure a top flight talent. Again you have yet to fully comprehend that nothing of Romeo’s recruitment breaks any sort of NCAA rule and subsequently doesn’t put IU at any risk of potentially suffering NCAA sanctions. Until you grasp that it’s not worth having this conversation.

I said what I said about Painter, because Painter isn’t under any pressure to land a player of Romeo’s caliber because the majority of Purdue’s fan base hasn’t placed an emphasis on Painter to not only win in March, but advance past the S16. You need a player of Romeo’s caliber to win in March. There is however that sense of urgency in Bloomington just about every year. Not saying or even suggesting Romeo is going to take IU far in the tournament, but Romeo is the type of talent, when surrounded by the right supporting cast, to put a team over the top even though he’s likely a OAD. There’s no immediate pressure for Painter to seek this type of talent so no need to bother with it. Archie on the other hand, is going to be held to a higher standard of landing the best in-state prospects.

Last edited:
When you say things like, “Archie looked the other way”, you’re implying that Archie and IU were complicit in breaking NCAA violations. Again you have yet to fully comprehend that nothing of Romeo’s recruitment breaks any sort of NCAA rule and subsequently doesn’t put IU at any risk of potentially suffering NCAA sanctions. Until you grasp that it’s not worth having this conversation.

I said what I said about Painter, because Painter isn’t under any pressure to land a player of Romeo’s caliber because the majority of Purdue’s fan base hasn’t placed an emphasis on Painter to win in March. You need a player of Romeo’s caliber to win in March. There is however that sense of urgency in Bloomington just about every year. Not saying or even suggesting Romeo is going to take IU far in the tournament, but Romeo is the type of talent, when surrounded by the right supporting cast, to put a team over the top even though he’s likely a OAD. There’s no immediate pressure for Painter to seek this type of talent so no need to bother with it. Archie on the other hand, is going to be held to a higher standard of landing the best in-state prospects.

I was talking about it from an ethical standpoint......something that you are having a tough time with as well. This situation stinks from the word go, and you know it. Now all this Archie "held to a higher standard" while CMP isn't crap sure is entertaining.....but only circles the wagon. He threw ethics out the window.....and it runs in the family. It wasn't my intent to ruffle your crimson feathers tonight.....GO HOOSIERS:D

I was talking about it from an ethical standpoint......something that you are having a tough time with as well. This situation stinks from the word go, and you know it. Now all this Archie "held to a higher standard" while CMP isn't crap sure is entertaining.....but only circles the wagon. He threw ethics out the window.....and it runs in the family. It wasn't my intent to ruffle your crimson feathers tonight.....GO HOOSIERS:D
I hope it isnt your plan to have this same thread topic after every single Purdue loss.

Feathers aren’t the least ruffled, I enjoy having a civil conversation. But once you can look past the fact that ethical and breaking NCAA violations aren’t one in the same, especially in this scenario, the argument makes a lot more sense. You aren’t going to achieve a sustained level of success without player(s) of Romeo’s caliber and as it stands now there hasn’t been a great deal of emphasis or demand for Purdue to reach that level of success.

I challenge you to find a post of mine where I insinuated, let alone said CMP was crap? Not sure where you got that idea. But you cannot debate that CMP hasn’t received a great deal of pressure, an ultimatum if you will, to consistently win in March. Otherwise he’s not here for a 15th year never having eclipsed the S16. Until there’s a great deal of emphasis placed on Painter to consistently win in March, there’s absolutely zero reason to even attempt to engage in anything that can be construed as unethical when it comes to recruiting top level talent, because you don’t need top level talent to only occasionally win in March.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT