ADVERTISEMENT

Crystal Ball for Daylan Carnell

I posted this a couple weeks back about Daylan in another thread, so I will just repeat it again. He had a lot of attention from big programs (OSU, ND, etc,) bad had an academic issue that needed resolved so they moved on. I don’t know if that has been resolved yet or not. But those programs are no longer in the scenario. I would bet Purdue lands him (once he gets the academic issue handled). Comes from a great family. Dad is an engineer from Rose Hulman & I believe his mother is an accountant.
Also, I’ve seen him play in person multiple times & have spoken to his father privately multiple times & I like them both a lot. Really good kid & father is awesome.

Last edited:
It would be a great pickup to start some recruiting momentum going into Summer.

Is McCulley announcing soon (within the next month or so)? Seems like his picture has been on the website a lot lately, but they are premium articles, so I am not sure what they are saying about him.

I posted this a couple weeks back about Daylan in another thread, so I will just repeat it again. He had a lot of attention from big programs (OSU, ND, etc,) bad had an academic issue that needed resolved so they moved on. I don’t know if that has been resolved yet or not. But those programs are no longer in the scenario. I would bet Purdue lands him (once he gets the academic issue handled). Comes from a great family. Dad is an engineer from Rose Hulman & I believe his mother is an accountant.
Also, I’ve seen him play in person multiple times & have spoken to his father privately multiple times & I like them both a lot. Really good kid & father is awesome.
Thoughts on him as a player?

Better than his ranking.

He plays in the MIC and covers legit D1 WRs at Ben Davis. Not afraid to tackle either.
Really hope he gets to play his senior year to impress more services.
Rivals has him as a 4 star. Odd that 247 ranks him so low. i dont even pay attention to ESPN.

It would be a great pickup to start some recruiting momentum going into Summer.

Is McCulley announcing soon (within the next month or so)? Seems like his picture has been on the website a lot lately, but they are premium articles, so I am not sure what they are saying about him.

He's told everyone that he's committing during his season.

Not going Purdue’s way today it appears

Two picks for Mizz by two guys who are rarely wrong
I know it’s early but we seem to be missing out on a lot of higher rated guys. And the ones that we do have, have gone down in ranking other than Threats. Hopefully it picks up some steam

They say to the victor goes the spoils! The rich tend to get richer!

in other words you can make all the excuses you want for last year’s record, but the best athletes tend to go to the best schools, or at least schools with winning records and bowl games! When you have a losing record, top recruits tend to look elsewhere! The easiest way to attract Top recruits Is to actually win 8 games and stop making excuses. Excuses are seen as a negative! Wins are more important than stats or flashy offenses despite what people may believe!

in other words you can make all the excuses you want for last year’s record, but the best athletes tend to go to the best schools, or at least schools with winning records and bowl games! When you have a losing record, top recruits tend to look elsewhere! The easiest way to attract Top recruits Is to actually win 8 games and stop making excuses. Excuses are seen as a negative! Wins are more important than stats or flashy offenses despite what people may believe!

Uh, bigs, the crystal balls are for Missouri. Mizzou was 6-6. Lost to such powerhouses as Wyoming... Vandy.

They aren't 'rich'.

No excuses for that screw up. Excuses are seen as a negative!

Says the Danny Hope lover...

Reactions: JRowdy20
It's just one player, but boy is that a tough blow. Losing an in-state player to Missouri is not the kind of thing that can be happening if we want to be a consistently good Big Ten team.

You lose a guy to LSU, Bama, Ohio State, fine. Losing a battle to a school that's out of state and not any better is a bad sign.

It's just one player, but boy is that a tough blow. Losing an in-state player to Missouri is not the kind of thing that can be happening if we want to be a consistently good Big Ten team.

You lose a guy to LSU, Bama, Ohio State, fine. Losing a battle to a school that's out of state and not any better is a bad sign.

Nobody likes to lose players, but I wouldn't overreact.

In 2020, top 10 players went to Iowa, UNLV, Minnesota.

It's going to happen.

It's not a sign, good or bad. It just happens.

Besides... nobody has signed.

Yet.

Relax.

The sky is not falling.

We're also raiding talent from states like NY. (Among others)

Nobody likes to lose players, but I wouldn't overreact.

In 2020, top 10 players went to Iowa, UNLV, Minnesota.

It's going to happen.

It's not a sign, good or bad. It just happens.

Besides... nobody has signed.

Yet.

Relax.

The sky is not falling.

We're also raiding talent from states like NY. (Among others)
I didn't freak out, nor did I say the sky was falling. I said it was a bad sign. It is.

Yeah we can pick up the stud receivers and other skill players but we still manage to consistently miss on top targets at other positions. It's frustrating. We've got to start hitting on some if we're going to reach our goals for the program.

I would hardly say we are "raiding talent" from New York. We picked up a couple of players. That's it. New York is not exactly a football hotbed anyway, nor does it have a major program to compete with (Syracuse, Buffalo, and Army).

I didn't freak out, nor did I say the sky was falling. I said it was a bad sign. It is.

Yeah we can pick up the stud receivers and other skill players but we still manage to consistently miss on top targets at other positions. It's frustrating. We've got to start hitting on some if we're going to reach our goals for the program.

I would hardly say we are "raiding talent" from New York. We picked up a couple of players. That's it. New York is not exactly a football hotbed anyway, nor does it have a major program to compete with (Syracuse, Buffalo, and Army).

Nowhere did I indicate you "freak(ed) out". Nor did I say New York is "a football hotbed". We got a really solid DL from NY.

Last year, the #1 RB in NY, recruited by the top programs all over the country (not just "Syracuse, Buffalo, and Army"). Not to mention the top QB out of NJ, also offered by really solid programs all over the country (not just "Syracuse, Buffalo, and Army"). We also got the top TE (#5 player) out of MI, also offered by UM and MSU.

No, it is not a bad sign. Players look to leave home sometimes.

We miss on players all over the country. So does every other program.

In IN, we have a commit from the #9, #15 and #16 players. We're "in play" on #'s 2, 3, 7 and 11. Will we get all those? Possibly. Could we "whiff" on all those? Possibly. Not likely.

They're crystal balls... predictions. There's no "sign" there.

Agree. I think Murphy is the only big get from New York. Alaimo and Kane played in New Jersey

Every program misses on top targets however Purdue has landed top targets at many positions over the last couple seasons outside of skill positions.

Gus Hartwig and Jared B were two top targets on OL in the last class. Karlaftis, Hunter, Hudgins at DE. Austin at NT. Graham and Grant at S. Kreul and Cox at LB.

edit: corrected spelling of Kreul

Last edited:
Daylan is announcing today at 2:00 EST. It still seems like Missouri is the leader going into his decision.

He would have been a nice addition, but we are still in good shape for top 10 uncommitted Rivals in state ranked #2 Yanni, #3 McCulley, #4 Montgomery, and #10 Sales.

Reactions: Purdue85
Could anyone name the Mizzou coach without looking it up? I've never even heard of him.

Could anyone name the Mizzou coach without looking it up? I've never even heard of him.
Drinkwitz via App State. However, I'm not sold on his short success at App State was all his... he inherited one hell of a situation and maintained it for a short period. Mizzou took a pretty big risk on that one.

To answer somebody else's question- my understanding is that Carnell's top 3 (Mizzou, PU, WVU) were really the ONLY 3 P5 programs still recruiting him with Mizzou being the heaviest on him. There is a chance Mizzou was his only committable P5 offer but that is purely speculation by me.

Drinkwitz via App State. However, I'm not sold on his short success at App State was all his... he inherited one hell of a situation and maintained it for a short period. Mizzou took a pretty big risk on that one.
Dang - was head coach for one year at App State. That is a gamble.

I couldn't name this Mizzou coach or the last one (what happened to him??).

Pinkel was a helluva coach though. A great cash grab, but hard to believe they will ever do much in the SEC after a great first few years.

As 18 year old recruits go, they usually have a very short attention span and they don't get into all the detail sports posters with over 10,000 posts do. The KISS principle applies. . What was mizzoo's record last year ? 6-6 ? what was Purdue's 4-8 ? Which record was better ?

Odom's record at mizzoo
2016 4-8
2017 7-6 Texas bowl
2018 8-5 Liberty bowl
2019 6-6.

Ok, what was Brohm's record and bowl games the past 3 years? And no, please don't give me the 56 pages of excuses about Hazell and injuries. 18 year old recruits don't want to hear them either. they want to see the records and bowl games.

2017 (using hazell's much maligned recruits) 7-6
2018 (again blaming hazel l for a lack of talent) 6-7
2019 ( got rid of most of hazell's recruits, but totally decimated by injuries) 4-8.

as I said, which record is better? it's an easy question demanding a simple answer.

if you want to look at the past decade, Mizoo also went to the Cotton bowl twice and the Citrus bowl. and Purdue went to ????? but the injuries ………. (that excuse is getting very old. Every team has injuries. And great teams ensure they have depth and also prevent injuries.)

to the victor go the spoils.

and talking about injuries and what could have been gets boring to recruits. Typically, they look for 3 things - victories, bowl games and a path to the NFL.

Lock verses Blough - who is the better NFL QB ? I already know what your answers will be.

I' m not the one with foolish rants. My eyes are open to reality.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT