ADVERTISEMENT

Coy Cronk Transferring....

In a year where it looks like there is a deep pool of in state talent, the early signs are that both teams are positioned to land some high end kids that in past years were not staying home.
Notre Dame will get the good kids 1st then purdue Indiana will get the left overs

who do you guys feel most confident about?

I'm not an expert by any stretch but it sounds like IU did a nice job this past weekend at it's junior day event with Josh Sales, Austin Booker, Kyran Montgomery, Zach Richards, Aaron Steinfeldt, McCulley, Collinsworth and of course McGraw. I have no idea as to how many of them are seriously interested in IU versus Purdue or anyone else.

I take it that Purdue has prioritized McCulley and Richards along with obviously Karlaftis. Any others?

I will take the top 10 talent players here in Indiana after That it's ball state talent Left over. Indiana Does not have the talent in football High school. Me I'd rather go to Florida or Texas and pick up a 2 or 3 star kid from there they would be 4 star if they played here in Indiana

I'm not an expert by any stretch but it sounds like IU did a nice job this past weekend at it's junior day event with Josh Sales, Austin Booker, Kyran Montgomery, Zach Richards, Aaron Steinfeldt, McCulley, Collinsworth and of course McGraw. I have no idea as to how many of them are seriously interested in IU versus Purdue or anyone else.

I take it that Purdue has prioritized McCulley and Richards along with obviously Karlaftis. Any others?

Well Terrell and Alstott but they’re already committed. I think they’re really high on Collinsworth too. I’m guessing they’ll be hard after both Montgomery and Carnell too.

I will take the top 10 talent players here in Indiana after That it's ball state talent Left over. Indiana Does not have the talent in football High school. Me I'd rather go to Florida or Texas and pick up a 2 or 3 star kid from there they would be 4 star if they played here in Indiana

players' rankings are based on their participation and performance at national camps, not what they do for their local team. if you took a 2 star from Florida or Texas and moved him to Indiana, he'd still be a 2 star. Hartwig gained his 4th star not for anything he did for his Indiana high school, but rather because of his performance i n a national all star game. he could be from new Hampshire or north Dakota playing for Podunk high School and his national rating would still be 4 stars.

I know this because our little known high school tin Illinois recently had a 4 star TE. he didn't get those 4 stars for anything he did for his high school. he gained them in camps and other events.

So you can keep all your Texas and Florida 2 stars. Moving to Indiana is not going to improve their ratings.

and it's the same for basketball. they could live anywhere they want. their rating is dependent on their performance for their AAU team, and not their high school.

players' rankings are based on their participation and performance at national camps, not what they do for their local team. if you took a 2 star from Florida or Texas and moved him to Indiana, he'd still be a 2 star. Hartwig gained his 4th star not for anything he did for his Indiana high school, but rather because of his performance i n a national all star game. he could be from new Hampshire or north Dakota playing for Podunk high School and his national rating would still be 4 stars.

I know this because our little known high school tin Illinois recently had a 4 star TE. he didn't get those 4 stars for anything he did for his high school. he gained them in camps and other events.

So you can keep all your Texas and Florida 2 stars. Moving to Indiana is not going to improve their ratings.

and it's the same for basketball. they could live anywhere they want. their rating is dependent on their performance for their AAU team, and not their high school.

I'll simplify it for you: ratings are subjective. They're subject to the competition you play, whether or not you participate in the money-making camps, how well you do vis-a-vis the competition at said camps, etc.

I will agree to an extent... a 2-star in FL isn't necessarily better than a 2-star in IN.

What's more, the self-professed "experts" get it right a lot of the time, but they frequently miss the boat.

I'll simplify it for you: ratings are subjective. They're subject to the competition you play, whether or not you participate in the money-making camps, how well you do vis-a-vis the competition at said camps, etc.

I will agree to an extent... a 2-star in FL isn't necessarily better than a 2-star in IN.

What's more, the self-professed "experts" get it right a lot of the time, but they frequently miss the boat.

I will agree.

National star ratings are not given out by high school or college coaches. maybe they should be. they are given out by scouts. and where do the scouts go to evaluate talent? All star games and camps and sometimes state championship games.

They are very subjective. what is sad is many very worthy players never have an opportunity to play in those all star games . what's the difference between a 3 and 5 star ? Opportunity !

I will agree.

National star ratings are not given out by high school or college coaches. maybe they should be. they are given out by scouts. and where do the scouts go to evaluate talent? All star games and camps and sometimes state championship games.

They are very subjective. what is sad is many very worthy players never have an opportunity to play in those all star games . what's the difference between a 3 and 5 star ? Opportunity !

and, for many players, a thing called... "talent"

i like AOC better than all of them. Especially working with the Brohms.

That's the key.

QBs who have outplayed their ranking under the Brohms:
Brandon Doughty
Mike White
David Blough
Aidan O'Connell

-Sindelar would be on this list had he stayed healthy
-Plummer has played "to" his ranking thus far

QBs who played above their ranking under Tom Allen:
Peyton Ramsey*

*with Deboer as OC

hopefully you realize Horvath won’t see the field next year unless there’s another rash of injuries. I’ll take Dorue and Murphy any day

Right. I am sure Zander will see some snaps on special teams for sure. I can see CJB having fun lining him up as a fullback.. he has good size/hands and can easily run out to the flat and get us a couple 3rd down conversions throughout the year.

More times than not they are

I still would take a 2 star from Texas or Florida over a 3 or 4 star from Indiana. The 4 star from Indiana would have to be highly rated 4 star.

I get what you're saying but if they played here in Indiana they would get more recognition and maybe get the play in those All Star games Because they would be one of the better players in Indiana unlike in Florida or Texas.

Right. I am sure Zander will see some snaps on special teams for sure. I can see CJB having fun lining him up as a fullback.. he has good size/hands and can easily run out to the flat and get us a couple 3rd down conversions throughout the year.
I wouldn't count Horvath out, the guy ran pretty good at times

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I wouldn't count Horvath out, the guy ran pretty good at times

Oh for sure. I was fortunate to see him at his best at the bucket game. Given the lack of push he received most of the season, he did very well with what he had. It's one of those things where if he ends up getting the lead role, I'll happily watch him run between the tackles. On the other hand if he gets beat out my more athletic, faster guys - I'll understand it. With Hewitt in the mix for more than 4 games this year plus whatever Murphy brings his initial season - I am unsure of his volume and what packages CJB will put together for him.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Oh for sure. I was fortunate to see him at his best at the bucket game. Given the lack of push he received most of the season, he did very well with what he had. It's one of those things where if he ends up getting the lead role, I'll happily watch him run between the tackles. On the other hand if he gets beat out my more athletic, faster guys - I'll understand it. With Hewitt in the mix for more than 4 games this year plus whatever Murphy brings his initial season - I am unsure of his volume and what packages CJB will put together for him.
One this is for certain, Brohm will figure out how to use them best. Those swing passes to Zander in the flat became a staple of the offense, allowing him to get moving north and south in the open field. King is much better at hitting the hole. I imagine Hewitt and Murphy will be also. If the Oline can get a consistent push, Zander will be more effective in short yardage situations.

Part of him playing better later in the year was the improved OL play...

Reactions: ghostoffatjack
Part of him playing better later in the year was the improved OL play...

For sure and I wouldn't argue otherwise. With respect to Zander specifically, he improved as a player. He was much better at hitting the hole later in the year (definitely some credit to the o-line) and his pad height got much better as the season progressed.

As a former fisherman, I got to love someone with the name Zander. It is a European pike-perch similar to a walleye but larger, and excellent eating. Long may he successfully swim through those lines.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT