ADVERTISEMENT

Coy Cronk Transferring....

Very fair post. Refreshing
Honorable actually. And very refreshing. Too bad there’s not more professional post like that because if the schools are having a good year next year it’ll be nice to have some professional commentary

Reactions: jindy
Honorable actually. And very refreshing. Too bad there’s not more professional post like that because if the schools are having a good year next year it’ll be nice to have some professional commentary

Thanks. I'm just a big college football fan and have no ill-will towards PU outside of the last Saturday in November.

And in the interest of full disclosure, I got my graduate degree from PU and had a blast in my years in West Lafayette, spending a great deal of time at Jake's, Brothers, the Cactus, & Windsor Hall. And worked at the Lafayette Tent Company a few summers and never had a more enjoyable experience.

Thanks. I'm just a big college football fan and have no ill-will towards PU outside of the last Saturday in November.

And in the interest of full disclosure, I got my graduate degree from PU and had a blast in my years in West Lafayette, spending a great deal of time at Jake's, Brothers, the Cactus, & Windsor Hall. And worked at the Lafayette Tent Company a few summers and never had a more enjoyable experience.
Craig hired an IU guy?

No.

You must've had a dream.

as NAT would say : QUICK making stuff up !!!!!

hey NAT, why don't you start calling out others for making stuff up? I don't make stuff up. I just repeat the lies of other posters to see I they will own up to their lies without me having to name m y source. I've found they never do and would rather i take their blame for them.

as NAT would say : QUICK making stuff up !!!!!

hey NAT, why don't you start calling out others for making stuff up? I don't make stuff up. I just repeat the lies of other posters to see I they will own up to their lies without me having to name m y source. I've found they never do and would rather i take their blame for them.

your personal attacks are

hurtful

your personal attacks are

hurtful
Too bad. I took the high road for the past 10 years. and all I got was crapped on. So I'm not taking it anymore. So deal with it. I want to fit in like everybody else and cut down other posters! it's a new year and a new me.

I DON'T MAKE STUFF UP. AND I DON'T LIKE BEING ACCUSED OF DOING SO.

if I post something on this board, it came from SOMEBODY and a previous post from this board. And it came from somebody who refused to own up to it and let me take the blame. Like my posts about Neal. I was quoting a poster on this board who made the stuff up. However, he decided to let me take the blame. It took me several weeks but I finally found the post/tweet that said the Neal wasn't coming back. And it came from some guy here who has NEVER been accused of making stuff up. and he didn't even say it was opinion. he was flat out wrong, but never owned up to it or even tried to correct himself, or even lifted a finger to admit he was probably my source. He cuts me down and has me on ignore so he doesn't read my responses. what a donkey hole he is.

And my previous posts about Cronk came from a poster on this board who said he heard from a family friend Cronk decided to come here last year. he's probabl y the same guy saying iowa St.

I don't spend millions of hours doing research. And my memory isn't totally gone. If I post something, it's origins usually come from one of three purdue sites. And yes, I speculate. There's a difference I n making up manure and speculating. Speculating is what intelligent people do. Rather than just repeating facts found on web sites,, I was taught to draw conclusions from facts. if you want to blame somebody, blame my Purdue professors who encouraged me to think. I guess not all Purdue degrees and professors are alike !!! I also apologize to those 140 character people . My advice, stop accessing this site from your cell phone and buy a real computer. Stop complaining that my posts are tooooooooooo lone for your liddddddle cell phone. Woe is you!

and 85, that post wasn't aimed at you, it was directed at someone else.

Too bad. I took the high road for the past 10 years. and all I got was crapped on. So I'm not taking it anymore. So deal with it. I want to fit in like everybody else and cut down other posters! it's a new year and a new me.

if I post something on this board, it came from SOMEBODY and a previous post from this board. And it came from somebody who refused to own up to it and let me take the blame. Like my posts about Neal. I was quoting a poster on this board who made the stuff up. However, he decided to let me take the blame. It took me several weeks but I finally found the post/tweet that said the Neal wasn't coming back. And it came from some guy here who has NEVER been accused of making stuff up. and he didn't even say it was opinion. he was flat out wrong, but never owned up to it or even tried to correct himself, or even lifted a finger to admit he was probably my source. He cuts me down and has me on ignore so he doesn't read my responses. what a donkey hole he is.

And my previous posts about Cronk came from a poster on this board who said he heard from a family friend Cronk decided to come here last year. he's probabl y the same guy saying iowa St.

I don't spend millions of hours doing research. And my memory isn't totally gone. If I post something, it's origins usually come from one of three purdue sites. And yes, I speculate. There's a difference I n making up manure and speculating. Speculating is what intelligent people do. Rather than just repeating facts found on web sites,, I was taught to draw conclusions from facts. if you want to blame somebody, blame my Purdue professors who encouraged me to think. I guess not all Purdue degrees and professors are alike !!! I also apologize to those 140 character people . My advice, stop accessing this site from your cell phone and buy a real computer. Stop complaining that my posts are tooooooooooo lone for your liddddddle cell phone. Woe is you!

aye aye, cap'n

I was the one who mentioned Cronk was interested in transferring to Purdue to be closer to his grandfather who he was extremely close to. When he passed away & Coy developed a good relationship with the new OC, he decided to stay. That OC left and Coy suffered an injury so it appears the idea of transferring bubbled back to the surface.

I wouldn’t rule Purdue out but the idea of transferring between rival schools may be too much for him to jump in to...and I don’t think anyone would blame him.

Coy is a great kid from every thing I have ever heard and he was voted a captain for a reason. Coy is one to root for no matter where he ends up.

Last edited:
Just my guess, but I think Coy is preparing for the NFL and simply put his name into the portal as a fall back plan. This way he can rehab/train without any worry about school. If he was serious about transferring, he would most likely have announced already as classes have started at most universities. If it turns out he won’t be ready or he’s not happy with the prognosticators projections, he can transfer in the summer.

Reactions: jmohlman
Just my guess, but I think Coy is preparing for the NFL and simply put his name into the portal as a fall back plan. This way he can rehab/train without any worry about school. If he was serious about transferring, he would most likely have announced already as classes have started at most universities. If it turns out he won’t be ready or he’s not happy with the prognosticators projections, he can transfer in the summer.
Or maybe he hasn't finished up some course work and isn't eligible to get on to another campus. Still a chance he doesn't end up leaving IU...don't forget that.

Or maybe he hasn't finished up some course work and isn't eligible to get on to another campus. Still a chance he doesn't end up leaving IU...don't forget that.

According to some folks on the IU boards, Coy is no longer enrolled as a student at IU.

This move is baffling to me, and I look forward to eventually learning of his reasons for leaving regardless of his choice (if he transfers instead of going to the NFL).

My best guess is he didn't feel he could develop further under the tutelage of the OL Coach.

According to some folks on the IU boards, Coy is no longer enrolled as a student at IU.

This move is baffling to me, and I look forward to eventually learning of his reasons for leaving regardless of his choice (if he transfers instead of going to the NFL).

My best guess is he didn't feel he could develop further under the tutelage of the OL Coach.
it is one of the more odd happenings in terms of graduate transfers I have seen. Coming home would make it pretty easily understood but the rumblings of Iowa State make little to no sense to those outside of the situation.

it is one of the more odd happenings in terms of graduate transfers I have seen. Coming home would make it pretty easily understood but the rumblings of Iowa State make little to no sense to those outside of the situation.

From the outside, I could understand if he wanted to try and go play for a blue blood and play in bigger games (it's certainly conceivable that a top 10 team has a hole on the O-line that needs to be addressed). While Iowa St. is a solid program under Campbell, it's hard to see the Cyclones contending for the college football playoff any time soon.

Some have speculated that he wants to stay at left tackle which is no longer an option at IU. This doesn't make sense to me. Cronk wants to play in the NFL and by all accounts, his best bet to do so is to play guard. It's possible that Iowa State is his best option to play tackle, but at this point of his career, why would he prioritize playing tackle? Doesn't make sense.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler

He tweeted in late November that he had officially completed his degree. My guess is he wanted to take the spring off from classes and rehab / prep for the NFL and see where he stood. I'm pretty sure the only way for him to do that and still come back and play in college is to transfer.

Another thing to consider is Iowa St. was the only other school he took an official to during his original recruitment. Still find it odd though.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
Another thing to consider is Iowa St. was the only other school he took an official to during his original recruitment. Still find it odd though.
Maybe he thinks they have a chance to be pretty good. They seem to be a top 20-ish team in most early polls for next year, and I've seen them as high as #10.

a technical question . Coy suffered an injury this season, and could technically use this season as a redshirt, since he played his initial freshman year.

If he used this as a medical redshirt year, couldn't he use the transfer portal as a regular player transfer rather than as a grad transfer? are there less restrictions?

a technical question . Coy suffered an injury this season, and could technically use this season as a redshirt, since he played his initial freshman year.

If he used this as a medical redshirt year, couldn't he use the transfer portal as a regular player transfer rather than as a grad transfer? are there less restrictions?

I think his only shot is to do a grad transfer at this point. If he does a regular transfer (medical RS or not), he'd have to get a waiver to avoid the 1 yr. sit-out period, which would exhaust his eligibility if he didn't get the waiver.

Hypothetically, he could do a grad transfer this year, get injured early next season and probably get a medical redshirt to have a 6th year to play a 4th season.

Reactions: wakeman2626
Weird ending. Did Purdue express interest? If so, what was the deterrent? Still holding onto hurt feelings about not getting offered by the prior staff? Worried about how IU fans would react?

Big loss for the Hoosiers.

Yes and no. He was a good player and IU was definitely better with him, but he left because IU was moving him to guard due to the fact that it has two better tackles in Jones and Bedford returning. The loss is really more about the interior line, and with Harry Crider returning and Dylan Powell coming in from Stanford, IU has two quality and experienced options at guard.

Admittedly, if Bedford or Jones are injured, the luxury of moving Cronk back to tackle is no longer an option. That to me is the biggest concern with Cronk's departure.

Reactions: TMFT and 4IUSox2
Yes and no. He was a good player and IU was definitely better with him, but he left because IU was moving him to guard due to the fact that it has two better tackles in Jones and Bedford returning. The loss is really more about the interior line, and with Harry Crider returning and Dylan Powell coming in from Stanford, IU has two quality and experienced options at guard.

Admittedly, if Bedford or Jones are injured, the luxury of moving Cronk back to tackle is no longer an option. That to me is the biggest concern with Cronk's departure.

Uhhhh, No.

It's absolutely a big loss.

Uhhhh, No.

It's absolutely a big loss.

A year ago this time, the expectation was that Cronk would have used up his eligibility so IU has planned for next year without him for some time. If IU needed him to return to play left tackle, I would agree with you but he was Wally Pipped after his injury and he was no longer needed at tackle.

IU would be better with him without any doubt but losing a guy slated to play offensive guard is not a huge loss. If one of IU's tackles is injured next year, then I agree with you.

Reactions: Panther4ever89
A year ago this time, the expectation was that Cronk would have used up his eligibility so IU has planned for next year without him for some time. If IU needed him to return to play left tackle, I would agree with you but he was Wally Pipped after his injury and he was no longer needed at tackle.

IU would be better with him without any doubt but losing a guy slated to play offensive guard is not a huge loss. If one of IU's tackles is injured next year, then I agree with you.

He's a huge loss. Especially for a program like IU. There's no way IU has the depth to just cast off a player like Cronk.

He would have been one of our best 5 linemen for sure, and anyone saying different is lying. With that said, I agree with BTB that it is LESS of a concern knowing the OT spots are locked down for a few years to come. He was never in the plan at OG until he went down this year. Still, now leaves a big hole at OG that IU will need to fill.

He's a huge loss. Especially for a program like IU. There's no way IU has the depth to just cast off a player like Cronk.

Huge loss no doubt, but IU is in a better position than PU to absorb the loss when it involves the OL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT