ADVERTISEMENT

Corey Holmes

Well if he's not into it then it's probably best for the program that he leaves now so we can use that scholarship for someone else next year. Too bad though. I thought like you that our lack of WR depth and his ability might make him a perfect addition.

Best of luck to him in whatever is next for him.

I am not sure what the problem was with him because there wasn't much in front of him and he still couldn't see the field. If he can't get snaps at Purdue with their WR core, I would be surprised if he gets snaps at any P5 school. Had a lot of talent out of ND and was supposed to be very good. Perhaps it's all between the ears?

Reactions: SDBoiler1
I am not sure what the problem was with him because there wasn't much in front of him and he still couldn't see the field. If he can't get snaps at Purdue with their WR core, I would be surprised if he gets snaps at any P5 school. Had a lot of talent out of ND and was supposed to be very good. Perhaps it's all between the ears?
Who said he was good? Talent and promise was there. He never produced.

I’m going to guess that since he left ND pretty suddenly along with Purdue now...when he had talent and opportunity...it is a personal matter as I doubt Brohm wouldn’t be playing him if he wasn’t a pain.

I actually noticed he was off the roster during the game on Sat.

Noticed we were playing #29 at safety, went to look at who he was and noticed that Holmes, who I knew was #4 was off the roster.

Sucks it didn’t work out but I’d rather have Burgess and others play in his place...especially if he doesn’t want to be here or work hard!

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
I would guess it was effort. Markell Jones was way down in the depth chart from spring for the same reason.

I would guess it was effort. Markell Jones was way down in the depth chart from spring for the same reason.

Markell strikes me as an availability issue. They wanted to feature him a couple times this year and he can’t stay healthy

Reactions: IndyRider
I had very high hopes for Holmes! It was obvious he has talent! But looking at his Notre Dame career, it was obvious something was missing! He was a starter and yet contributed little! He was given a second chance at Purdue and produced similar results! Excuses were given about injuries and he hadn't learned the playbook! But the reality is he had as much time to learn the playbook as every other receiver was given! He had talent, but was lacking in desire! I guess he expected to be given the starter's job rather than earn it. I'm saddened by his loss! My highest hopes and praise of any recruit were with him.

He must have REALLY bad hands...

Markell strikes me as an availability issue. They wanted to feature him a couple times this year and he can’t stay healthy
With his smaller stature combined with his physical running style, I think that will continue to be an issue.

JB mentioned at the start of the season that he was hoping that MJ would apply himself more and be more prepared......I think that is how Fuller moved to #1 and MJ slipped to Kick return....

JB mentioned at the start of the season that he was hoping that MJ would apply himself more and be more prepared......I think that is how Fuller moved to #1 and MJ slipped to Kick return....

They were going to give him the bulk of the carries in the Louisville game. Fuller played because of the injury

They were going to give him the bulk of the carries in the Louisville game. Fuller played because of the injury
yes, I think Fuller kind of surprised with his ability at the start of the season....a good problem to have.

Think we'll see more of the full-house backfield this week with Worship, Jones, and Knox?

Reactions: pboiler18
yes, I think Fuller kind of surprised with his ability at the start of the season....a good problem to have.

Think we'll see more of the full-house backfield this week with Worship, Jones, and Knox?

Nope. I think Worship will play a lot to help with pass protect on the left side though.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
Well I know we're not going to see Holmes running deep fly patterns! What became of that Notre Dame dbwe almost signed?

Google is your friend
I' m a yahoo type of guy as this site is a yahoo type of site.

Last I heard about the other Notre Dame DB we almost signed was that after our admissions turned him down, he signed with Syracuse, and then Syracuse admissions rejected him as well. I asked about him here because there are people who know the inside scoop, and sometimes reveal it, whereas Google never will.

I' m a yahoo type of guy as this site is a yahoo type of site.

Last I heard about the other Notre Dame DB we almost signed was that after our admissions turned him down, he signed with Syracuse, and then Syracuse admissions rejected him as well. I asked about him here because there are people who know the inside scoop, and sometimes reveal it, whereas Google never will.

IIRC, there were some sexual assault allegations following him around. It’s why we and Syracuse passed on him.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
IIRC, there were some sexual assault allegations following him around. It’s why we and Syracuse passed on him.

That was the guess based on the article a student posted about an unnamed player. He signed with NIU. I know he played earlier this year.

Google is not as knowledgeable as NAT ! Thanks! That's why I come here!

I actually specifically remember in fall camp a report that Fuller was getting the most first team reps and was believed at the time to be our #1. I remember being surprised by that and it was definitely before the Louisville game. But I think RB by committee has always been the plan.

Reactions: Bippus33
I actually specifically remember in fall camp a report that Fuller was getting the most first team reps and was believed at the time to be our #1. I remember being surprised by that and it was definitely before the Louisville game. But I think RB by committee has always been the plan.

Brohm said Markell was a big part of the Louisville game plan after the game.

I think the fall depth chart was a motivation tool

Fuller and Markell have dealt with injuries. Knox has shown the speed and versatility like he did two years ago, and Richie Worship had broke out as our lead power back. BLJ might be gone after this year with others coming in

Fuller and Markell have dealt with injuries. Knox has shown the speed and versatility like he did two years ago, and Richie Worship had broke out as our lead power back. BLJ might be gone after this year with others coming in
I think BLJ should be returning kicks before Worship or Knox.

Reactions: pboiler18
I think BLJ should be returning kicks before Worship or Knox.
I think I covered this when Purdue played Nebraska and the same question came up:

Worship is back there as a lead blocking type of player. A lot of teams have gone to a coffin corner type of kickoff to try and cut the field off and to also get teams stuck further back than the 25 yard line. Typically you'll see Knox go to that side of the field that the team is kicking towards and Worship is on the opposite side to serve as a lead blocker. You also want Worship back there because he is good enough to matriculate the ball up the field if there is a kick that comes to him like it did against Nebraska.

I think JB`s quote was that they had a package of plays for Jones but not that he was going to play most of the game..... Other than Saquon Barkley, how many teams expose their starting running back to kick returner and risk injury??
Oh wow that happened...I think that if your suspicion is/was true that JB would have taken the risk of screwing with Fuller`s head since all spring and fall reports were that Fuller was #1

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT