ADVERTISEMENT

Commitment #4?

We’re not getting him. Not surprising as early playing time was the first thing he mentioned as a deciding factor.

Would be nice to get him but it would make sense for him to go to IU if he wants playing time. I like our WR corps better than theirs right now and that's even before they lose Hale and Westbrook after this year. Their WR corps will be quite weak when Williams is a freshman whereas we'll have a junior Rondale, a sophomore Bell, a sophomore Wright, a sophomore Rice, etc...

Reactions: boilerpt
I noticed last night that the Rival ranking actually has him committing at 12AM, today. 12AM is really midnight, or 9 hours ago. Obviously that didn't happen. Guess we wait until 12PM, or noon; about 3 hours from now.

He said noon in his video about commitment and his top 5. Rivals was wrong.

Would be nice to get him but it would make sense for him to go to IU if he wants playing time. I like our WR corps better than theirs right now and that's even before they lose Hale and Westbrook after this year. Their WR corps will be quite weak when Williams is a freshman whereas we'll have a junior Rondale, a sophomore Bell, a sophomore Wright, a sophomore Rice, etc...

Williams is a top 50 on rivals and top 250 on 247. He just won the top WR at the Midwest camp. Elite route runner and big hands. Very good friends with Grant and Graham. Has visited twice and had tons to say about the coaches and their explosive offense. I can’t believe he is that good with no faith in his skills that he can’t best out what Purdue has. Once Moore leaves after next year, there will be a huge void. Bell and Wright would be the biggest threat, but he has to believe in his skills. Purdue throws the ball so much and IU has been loading up on elite RBs, I still think he gets more targets at Purdue even if he slips to the 3 or 4 WR. Purdue is going to wear down defenses and they need as many stud WRs as they can get. IU, as mentioned, has nobody else to draw off the doubles and extra attention. Also, if you look at who IU goes against in the East I just can’t see his numbers being better at IU. Their coach is also on the hot seat with their AD. Not a good situation if you ask me and not a good fit. But, if he picks IU I still hope the best for him and I think the reasoning would be that he has zero competition for early playing time (but as mentioned that can be a double edged sword).

Early playing time is a HUGE factor for many elite athletes. At a place like Alabama or OSU it may not be that big of a factor, because one year at their school, and the NFL will draft you, but at a lesser school like IU and Purdue, it's huge. remember 2 years ago when we at Purdue said one of our bigger selling factors was the ability to play immediately? Well, now because of all of our other wide receiver talent, that's no longer true. and while a player might get some passes thrown his way, it's fairly clear for at least the next 2+ years, Moore will be the #1 target . and unless the school's name is Alabama, many players many players don't want to play I n somebody else's shadow.

a question I'll ask , what type of stats do you believe Bell would put up this year ? and next year ? and what type of stats will our #3 receiver put up for the next 2 years? I ask this because if you were the #3 receiver behind Moore and Bell, and maybe our TE and maybe Wright, what type of stats do you believe a #3 receiver would generate ? notice, I didn't even mention Taylor or Rice or Anderson or Wright. I have to believe the receivers will all rotate rather than play 80% of the actual downs. That might create an issue for some players if they are only involved in 30-40% of the plays because of our deep talented core of receivers. I can see Sparks and Anthrop accepting that type of role, but not an elite incoming recruit. and NO elite recruit comes to a school like Purdue just to be a special teams player.

now compare those stats with what a #1 receiver at IU would generate. it's basically, do you want to be part of a great, winning team? or do you want to have a chance to put up some awesome individual stats and be noticed. Isn't that sort of the reason Moore decommitted from Texas and came to Purdue ? to be a star?

Last edited:
Early playing time is a HUGE factor for many elite athletes. At a place like Alabama or OSU it may not be that big of a factor, because one year at their school, and the NFL will draft you, but at a lesser school like IU and Purdue, it's huge. remember 2 years ago when we at Purdue said one of our bigger selling factors was the ability to play immediately? Well, now because of all of our other wide receiver talent, that's no longer true. and while a player might get some passes thrown his way, it's fairly clear for at least the next 2+ years, Moore will be the #1 target . and unless the school's name is Alabama, many players many players don't want to play I n somebody else's shadow.

a question I'll ask , what type of stats do you believe Bell would put up this year ? and next year ? and what type of stats will our #3 receiver put up for the next 2 years? I ask this because if you were the #3 receiver behind Moore and Bell, and maybe our TE and maybe Wright, what type of stats do you believe a #3 receiver would generate ? notice, I didn't even mention Taylor or Rice or Anderson or Wright.

now compare those stats with what a #1 receiver at IU would generate. it's basically, do you want to be part of a great, winning team? or do you want to have a chance to put up some awesome individual stats and be noticed. Isn't that sort of the reason Moore decommitted from Texas and came to Purdue ? to be a star?
You also have to have a QB to get you the ball and an offense that likes to throw the ball. I am not sure that is the case in either case at IU.

You also have to have a QB to get you the ball and an offense that likes to throw the ball. I am not sure that is the case in either case at IU.

that's a good point. But Iu supposedly will have a new offensive coordinator who is probably selling an entirely new type of offense. And in the past, Iu has had some exciting QBs and offense. IU has historically been a good scoring team.

Reactions: boilerpt
Williams is a top 50 on rivals and top 250 on 247. He just won the top WR at the Midwest camp. Elite route runner and big hands. Very good friends with Grant and Graham. Has visited twice and had tons to say about the coaches and their explosive offense. I can’t believe he is that good with no faith in his skills that he can’t best out what Purdue has. Once Moore leaves after next year, there will be a huge void. Bell and Wright would be the biggest threat, but he has to believe in his skills. Purdue throws the ball so much and IU has been loading up on elite RBs, I still think he gets more targets at Purdue even if he slips to the 3 or 4 WR. Purdue is going to wear down defenses and they need as many stud WRs as they can get. IU, as mentioned, has nobody else to draw off the doubles and extra attention. Also, if you look at who IU goes against in the East I just can’t see his numbers being better at IU. Their coach is also on the hot seat with their AD. Not a good situation if you ask me and not a good fit. But, if he picks IU I still hope the best for him and I think the reasoning would be that he has zero competition for early playing time (but as mentioned that can be a double edged sword).
I haven’t heard anything about Allen being on the hot seat, but at some point he’s going to have to show something. He took over a program coming off of back to back bowl seasons with the added benefit of 8 returning senior starters on defense as well as a veteran QB. They made a big deal about his recruiting class (ranked #39 according to Rivals), but Wilson bested that twice (#38 in a couple of his earlier years). He’s already replaced both coordinators, admittedly biting off more than he could chew trying to be both the HC and DC...not exactly showing any stability in the program.

How many times was Purdue on one of the ESPN channels or a major network last season? And how many times was IU? The BTN is nice but its what I would call “regional exposure”

Reactions: pboiler18
I believe unlike no previous year in recent history, more than ever, this recruiting season will be a wait and see year. For several reasons.

Brohm is no longer going after 2/3 star athletes that would jump at the chance to play for Purdue. he's going after some big fish who like to take their time before committing to anybody.
brohm is competing with the BIG boys for recruits. As such, the recruits want to take all of their official visits before making a decision. unlike the past, when a recruit is weighing an offer from Toledo verses Purdue, the recruit wants to visit the OSU and Georgia and Florida before making a decision.

I believe this year's recruits want to see how last year's class are utilized. How many will red shirt? how many will start? What will the success be? They will want to see if the y have an opportunity for immediate playing time.

But lastly, I believe recruits want to see if Purdue is going to take that next step and become an 8-10 win team. Bell's comments were pretty revealing last year. he basically said he wasn't really high on Purdue until coming to see the Iowa game. it was that game that made up his mind to come to Purdue. if we had laid an egg like the Minnesota or MSU game, he likely would have signed elsewhere.

I can believe we will see a lot of recruits include Purdue in their final 3-5, but the clincher will be basically, can Purdue walk the walk . We're no longer competing with the MAC for talent. We're competing with the SEC and OSU, and Mich. to be able to win the recruiting battles with the best teams in the country, we must be able to prove we're also one of them, rather than a team that can pull an upset every now and then. Even an Appalachian State can pull an upset . That's why I believe this year's class will still be good, but will take longer to commit.

Reactions: pboiler18
It is looking like June might be when we get our next verbal. Van Dyke is starting to look like Miami and Prather is leaning more toward Cincinnati.

It is looking like June might be when we get our next verbal. Van Dyke is starting to look like Miami and Prather is leaning more toward Cincinnati.

and earlier this month Van Dyke seemed to be 100% Syracuse. I agree we'll get at least 1 commit from our Summer camp. But it may take awhile before this class shapes up to what it will become.

Reactions: chaspark
Van Dyke made his commitment to Miami official. They were very late to the race. he visited them last weekend (21 April), and committed this week.

This is what I sort of expect. Not that Purdue is an also ran, but rather recruits will take all their visits , and then make a decision, rather than committing to the first team they visit.

and for those who read tea leaves on walls, you saw it coming when Purdue made an offer to two new QBs.

Hey @fkfootbaII prove me wrong that IU’s receiving core won’t be a liability after Hale and Westbrook graduate.

Could be a liability but not a guarantee. They'll return Fryfogle and Philyor, staff is high on RS-Fr Miles Marshall who showed up in the spring game, excited about David Ellis and Jordan Jakes who they added in this most recent class. Took the #1 recruit out of Wisconsin who will play WR. If this sticks will add a playmaker in Williams. Need to develop some guys but it's not like the cupboard is bare.

I believe unlike no previous year in recent history, more than ever, this recruiting season will be a wait and see year. For several reasons.

Brohm is no longer going after 2/3 star athletes that would jump at the chance to play for Purdue. he's going after some big fish who like to take their time before committing to anybody.
brohm is competing with the BIG boys for recruits. As such, the recruits want to take all of their official visits before making a decision. unlike the past, when a recruit is weighing an offer from Toledo verses Purdue, the recruit wants to visit the OSU and Georgia and Florida before making a decision.

I believe this year's recruits want to see how last year's class are utilized. How many will red shirt? how many will start? What will the success be? They will want to see if the y have an opportunity for immediate playing time.

But lastly, I believe recruits want to see if Purdue is going to take that next step and become an 8-10 win team. Bell's comments were pretty revealing last year. he basically said he wasn't really high on Purdue until coming to see the Iowa game. it was that game that made up his mind to come to Purdue. if we had laid an egg like the Minnesota or MSU game, he likely would have signed elsewhere.

I can believe we will see a lot of recruits include Purdue in their final 3-5, but the clincher will be basically, can Purdue walk the walk . We're no longer competing with the MAC for talent. We're competing with the SEC and OSU, and Mich. to be able to win the recruiting battles with the best teams in the country, we must be able to prove we're also one of them, rather than a team that can pull an upset every now and then. Even an Appalachian State can pull an upset . That's why I believe this year's class will still be good, but will take longer to commit.
in regards to Bell's recruitment, we also survived him attending the whiteout game at psu. Alot of their recruits get swayed after attending that game.

iu's football program (and basketball for that matter) sucks. Anyone highly ranked going to iu to play football either doesn't want the pressure of playing in a legit program or just wants to be the big fish in a little pond.
Just ask the 5,700 fans that show up to Memorial stadium every Saturday.

a question I'll ask , what type of stats do you believe Bell would put up this year ? and next year ? and what type of stats will our #3 receiver put up for the next 2 years? I ask this because if you were the #3 receiver behind Moore and Bell, and maybe our TE and maybe Wright, what type of stats do you believe a #3 receiver would generate ? notice, I didn't even mention Taylor or Rice or Anderson or Wright. I have to believe the receivers will all rotate rather than play 80% of the actual downs. That might create an issue for some players if they are only involved in 30-40% of the plays because of our deep talented core of receivers. I can see Sparks and Anthrop accepting that type of role, but not an elite incoming recruit. and NO elite recruit comes to a school like Purdue just to be a special teams player.

now compare those stats with what a #1 receiver at IU would generate. it's basically, do you want to be part of a great, winning team? or do you

want to have a chance to put up some awesome individual stats and be noticed. Isn't that sort of the reason Moore decommitted from Texas and came to Purdue ? to be a star?

Screw the stats. How many Big Ten West titles will we win with him?

Stranger things have happened, but I would not hold my breath.

The person I spoke with knows him pretty well and gave me the impression he is essentially Alabama’s to lose. The best talent should stay home in my opinion, but Alabama has built a powerhouse that kids dream of playing for. Brohm has a lot of work ahead of him before he can constantly battle the big boys for the elite local players. Taking the top 2 in state last year was a good start, but there were two national recruits in Fryer and Brevard and we will miss on both. I am happy to get Gus though and Brohm and company have really reached high for their targets. As the national camps continue to run and Purdue will have theirs, we will know more about who the main targets are.

iu's football program (and basketball for that matter) sucks. Anyone highly ranked going to iu to play football either doesn't want the pressure of playing in a legit program or just wants to be the big fish in a little pond.
Just ask the 5,700 fans that show up to Memorial stadium every Saturday.
and the 300 birds.

Reactions: NVboiler
Van Dyke has already verballed to Miami. Prater is looking more likely he will be announcing to Cincinnati very soon. Who is our next top QB option that we are pursuing after losing out on these 2 QB recruits for 2020?

Van Dyke has already verballed to Miami. Prater is looking more likely he will be announcing to Cincinnati very soon. Who is our next top QB option that we are pursuing after losing out on these 2 QB recruits for 2020?

We've made offers/targeted two more - one from St Louis and one from Arizona(?).

Reactions: ChuckJr
an interesting development. The boilermakers offered 5 * QB Jake Garcia from the 2021 class this week. he's one of three 5 * QBs i n the 2021 class brohm has given offers. I have to believe brohm wouldn't have offered if he didn't believe he had a chance. Why do I bring this up? Looking at Brohm's 2021 offers, at least 10 have already made early commitments. It would be kind of nice like GK, if brohm could land an early 5 * commit to attract others for this year and next year.

I'm still waiting for Bryce Austin to commit
I still just waiting on anyone to commit. Honestly, when I created this thread, I thought we would have #4 within a couple of weeks of when this was originally posted. It must mean that #4 is going to be really big.

I'm still of the opinion that since brohm receives a bonus for having a top 25 recruiting class, he's placing the 2/3 * players on hold as he pursues the 4/5 * players. and those elite players take a lot longer to make a decision; especially to make a decision to turn down teams like MSU, OSU, PSU, Ala, Clemson to commit to Purdue. if were competing against Marshall and Toledo for talent, those decisions by recruits would already have been made.

I believe it's different competing against OSU for players. We need a very strong sales pitch, and we also have to show players on the field we are an improving team. A win against TCU will go a long way towards gaining commitments.

It's easy for OSU and Alabama to sell their program. They go to a big bowl game and have NFL scouts at all their games and get drafted in the top rounds. For Purdue, we have to convince players we will be going to bigger and better bowl games than the past. We have to show we're capable of winning 8+ games a year. and have our players drafted.

For now for the elite athletes brohm is targeting, it's a wait and see mode. and we might have to wait a long time before we see official commitments. I'm confident brohm has backfillers, and plan b players. But he can always add or flip those types after the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: chaspark
I'm still of the opinion that since brohm receives a bonus for having a top 25 recruiting class, he's placing the 2/3 * players on hold as he pursues the 4/5 * players. and those elite players take a lot longer to make a decision; especially to make a decision to turn down teams like MSU, OSU, PSU, Ala, Clemson to commit to Purdue. if were competing against Marshall and Toledo for talent, those decisions by recruits would already have been made.

I believe it's different competing against OSU for players. We need a very strong sales pitch, and we also have to show players on the field we are an improving team. A win against TCU will go a long way towards gaining commitments.

It's easy for OSU and Alabama to sell their program. They go to a big bowl game and have NFL scouts at all their games and get drafted in the top rounds. For Purdue, we have to convince players we will be going to bigger and better bowl games than the past. We have to show we're capable of winning 8+ games a year. and have our players drafted.

For now for the elite athletes brohm is targeting, it's a wait and see mode. and we might have to wait a long time before we see official commitments. I'm confident brohm has backfillers, and plan b players. But he can always add or flip those types after the season.
Due to fewer scholarships, and going after the elite recruits, we might get our 4th commitment in June (not counting the blueshirts), but it appears this June will not be like the last couple of Junes, where it seemed like we got a new recruit almost every other day. We might not get many of the verbals in this class until later on in the Summer or this Fall.

https://purdue.rivals.com/news/don-t-739

I'm still of the opinion that since brohm receives a bonus for having a top 25 recruiting class, he's placing the 2/3 * players on hold as he pursues the 4/5 * players. and those elite players take a lot longer to make a decision;

I hope that's not the prevailing opinion. Brohm should be going after the elite players in order to make his team better on the field, not because he gets a Top 25 bonus.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
I hope that's not the prevailing opinion. Brohm should be going after the elite players in order to make his team better on the field, not because he gets a Top 25 bonus.
The funny part is Wole is the first to bemoan the lack of stars and then when Brohm waits for higher rated recruits, accuses him of doing it for the bonus.

Also, the 3 players committed already go against his point.

The funny part is Wole is the first to bemoan the lack of stars and then when Brohm waits for higher rated recruits, accuses him of doing it for the bonus.

Also, the 3 players committed already go against his point.
I like to check out who Purdue is recruiting and what I see sometimes is a 3 star has way more offers than some 4 stars. Maybe its because of position, but coaches don't necessarily go by stars.

I like to check out who Purdue is recruiting and what I see sometimes is a 3 star has way more offers than some 4 stars. Maybe its because of position, but coaches don't necessarily go by stars.
Rondale was a Rivals 3 star. I would take a few more Rondale 3 star players on our team. Just shows that recruiting stars are not an exact science.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Rondale was a Rivals 3 star. I would take a few more Rondale 3 star players on our team. Just shows that recruiting stars are not an exact science.
They arent a science. Rivals admitted they messed up on that one. They are right (many) more times than not though.

Not an exact science but it is right much more often than not. There's a reason that the teams who get more 4/5 stars are typically better teams. Easy to get in trouble looking at a low star guy (Derrick Barnes, for example) that worked and throw stars out the window.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT