ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Painter on who will make the biggest leap this year...

So where do you see him fitting in? Curious as to your thoughts there.
If Heide strictly plays the four it's conceivable that Benter backs up Myles at the three. You didn't ask me and I don't see any way that happens but I had the same question as you and that's the only scenario I can think of where Jack plays this season.

So where do you see him fitting in? Curious as to your thoughts there.
He has practiced at 2,3, and 4. I expect he will fill the Ryan Cline roll or more recent Sasha. You need shooters to open up the lane for the 4's and 5's. While many players can shoot 3's players like Jack can bury you weather he is defended or not. My guess is he comes off the bench when you need offense or someone to free up the post. Don't sell his passing short he can pass with the best of them. I am big on Jack but even I don't see him displacing Myles at the 3, Fletcher at the 2 or TKR at the 4. This is a really good team with several experienced players any freshman who sees the court will deserve to be there. Painter always has an instant offensive guy off the bench. I see that being Jack.

He has practiced at 2,3, and 4. I expect he will fill the Ryan Cline roll or more recent Sasha. You need shooters to open up the lane for the 4's and 5's. While many players can shoot 3's players like Jack can bury you weather he is defended or not. My guess is he comes off the bench when you need offense or someone to free up the post. Don't sell his passing short he can pass with the best of them. I am big on Jack but even I don't see him displacing Myles at the 3, Fletcher at the 2 or TKR at the 4. This is a really good team with several experienced players any freshman who sees the court will deserve to be there. Painter always has an instant offensive guy off the bench. I see that being Jack.
Pressing you a bit more for specifics on this because it's September, there's not a lot of basketball to talk about, and who knows, you may be right. Do you agree that MP is unlikely to play seven guys at the 1 through 3 positions?

If so and if we assume that, as you said, Braden, Fletch and Myles are locks to be in that rotation, that means that at most, 3 out of 4 between Cox, Harris, Benter and Heide get time at the 1 through 3. If Benter is one of those guys are you anticipating that 1) he beats out Cox or Harris or 2) Heide doesn't take any of the minutes at the 3?

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
If Heide strictly plays the four it's conceivable that Benter backs up Myles at the three. You didn't ask me and I don't see any way that happens but I had the same question as you and that's the only scenario I can think of where Jack plays this season.

Pressing you a bit more for specifics on this because it's September, there's not a lot of basketball to talk about, and who knows, you may be right. Do you agree that MP is unlikely to play seven guys at the 1 through 3 positions?

If so and if we assume that, as you said, Braden, Fletch and Myles are locks to be in that rotation, that means that at most, 3 out of 4 between Cox, Harris, Benter and Heide get time at the 1 through 3. If Benter is one of those guys are you anticipating that 1) he beats out Cox or Harris or 2) Heide doesn't take any of the minutes at the 3?
I think one of them redshirts. It would depend on what you need in the moment. If we are turning the ball over and struggling to advance the ball then Harris is your guy 1-3. If you need a bucket, then Benter is the guy or if you need to open the court. I doubt Jack plays the 3 much I expect his minutes to come behind Fletch 8-10 minutes a night. Cam Heide is special and, in his 3rd year he is going to play starter minutes much like Mason did. I see Colvin starting over Cam because Cam can also play the 4. No to the 7 I see it as 5 1/2 Smith, Loyer, Harris, Benter, Colvin and half of Heide. With this killer schedule experience matters IMO.

I'm guessing it all depends on how much TKR plays 5.

If it's a lot, say 20+ minutes, then you probably see a lot of Heide at the 4 and less at the 3. Colvin starting at 3 Loyer at 2. Other players backing that up.

If he plays more 4 than 5, then I think you have Heide, Loyer and Colvin battling for minutes at the 2-3 with Heide taking some minutes at the 4, the rest at 3, Colvin getting his time at the 2 and 3 and Loyer getting it almost exclusively at the 2.

All just a guess of course.

Reactions: oldboiler52
I'm guessing it all depends on how much TKR plays 5.

If it's a lot, say 20+ minutes, then you probably see a lot of Heide at the 4 and less at the 3. Colvin starting at 3 Loyer at 2. Other players backing that up.

If he plays more 4 than 5, then I think you have Heide, Loyer and Colvin battling for minutes at the 2-3 with Heide taking some minutes at the 4, the rest at 3, Colvin getting his time at the 2 and 3 and Loyer getting it almost exclusively at the 2.

All just a guess of course.
Based on all the guesswork here not sure people listened to the actual podcast. Paint notes Heide played all last year at the 3 and TKR has flexibility to play 5 and allow Heide to play the 4. But also said Furst can play the 4 depending on the matchup. Or TKR slides to 4 and Berg, Daniel, or even caleb would play the 5. He did keep saying Heide and Colvin will see a big jump due to higher minutes so I would expect it’s TKR-Heide-Colvin-Fletch- Bearden will start with the lineup going big at the first substitution dependent on matchups.

Is it a forgone conclusion that Burgess will shirt? I'm assuming. Hard to say about Cox or JB, but I'll assume one will and probably more likely that it is Benter. Some have commented about Waddell getting more mins, but I just don't see where he or Berg can get significant mins. especially in Berg's case if Heide plays part time at the 4.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Based on all the guesswork here not sure people listened to the actual podcast. Paint notes Heide played all last year at the 3 and TKR has flexibility to play 5 and allow Heide to play the 4. But also said Furst can play the 4 depending on the matchup. Or TKR slides to 4 and Berg, Daniel, or even caleb would play the 5. He did keep saying Heide and Colvin will see a big jump due to higher minutes so I would expect it’s TKR-Heide-Colvin-Fletch- Bearden will start with the lineup going big at the first substitution dependent on matchups.
But Wole told me Painter never plays a forward at the 3 and it’s always a guard and Heide always played the 4 last year?!?

I mean first that's pretty much exactly what I said, and second of course Heide primarily played the three last season because Edey and TLR were the 5 and 4, there's nowhere else for Heide to play.

So, the more TLR plays 5, the more Heide plays 4. The more TLR plays the 4, the more Heide plays 3. With follow on implications for Colvin and Loyer either way.

I mean first that's pretty much exactly what I said, and second of course Heide primarily played the three last season because Edey and TLR were the 5 and 4, there's nowhere else for Heide to play.

So, the more TLR plays 5, the more Heide plays 4. The more TLR plays the 4, the more Heide plays 3. With follow on implications for Colvin and Loyer either way.
and you weren’t wrong. and it wasn’t just directed at you. It was the “just a guess” comment at the end when paint basically said that was the case. And the other comments in here where everyone is speculating on a thread with a podcast where paints comments take the guesswork out of it.

So when we play a team like indiana that is big I would expect we would see more TKR at the 4 and Heide at the 3 (or Furst at the 4). And when we play a team that is small like northwestern then we will see a lot of TKR at the 5 and heide at the 4.

Reactions: Schnelk
I think one of them redshirts. It would depend on what you need in the moment. If we are turning the ball over and struggling to advance the ball then Harris is your guy 1-3. If you need a bucket, then Benter is the guy or if you need to open the court. I doubt Jack plays the 3 much I expect his minutes to come behind Fletch 8-10 minutes a night. Cam Heide is special and, in his 3rd year he is going to play starter minutes much like Mason did. I see Colvin starting over Cam because Cam can also play the 4. No to the 7 I see it as 5 1/2 Smith, Loyer, Harris, Benter, Colvin and half of Heide. With this killer schedule experience matters IMO.
That makes sense, I agree that one of the three (Cox, Harris, Benter) redshirting seems likely. Conventional wisdom seems to be that Benter is the one who redshirts, but part of that may be because he was out sick this summer. It's not unthinkable that if he's made a full recovery and is capable of being a secondary ball handler (more like Loyer than Sasha or Cline) that he could push out Cox or Harris.

Side note Painter went to Sisley's open gym yesterday. This close to him making his choice. Recruiting is constantly changing with the exit of KC playing time has opened up for Sisley. Clearly Painter is making Sisley his top choice for the one scholarship he has. I now believe we land Sisley. Also telling is who he didn't see. Purdue had at least 2 assistants at Grayson (Harris's HS) yesterday hopefully to lure Jacob Wilkins away from NC state just kidding or maybe not. The only 2025's Purdue watched that I know of is Sisley.

Reactions: Russ Ford
Side note Painter went to Sisley's open gym yesterday. This close to him making his choice. Recruiting is constantly changing with the exit of KC playing time has opened up for Sisley. Clearly Painter is making Sisley his top choice for the one scholarship he has. I now believe we land Sisley. Also telling is who he didn't see. Purdue had at least 2 assistants at Grayson (Harris's HS) yesterday hopefully to lure Jacob Wilkins away from NC state just kidding or maybe not. The only 2025's Purdue watched that I know of is Sisley.
With the change to 15….don’t we have 3 open scholarships now? 😊

Would be great to land Sisley!

Benter being sick over the summer reminds me of Dakota's freshman year. I think he had mono and never fully got his strength back that year. I don't think he redshirted, though.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I have no clue how that works I am still on 13. Maybe you can bring me up to speed.
For next year, ncaa has extended to 15 now.

“Beginning in 2025-2026, the NCAA will remove D1 scholarship restrictions, allowing all sports to divide scholarships among athletes, significantly impacting college basketball recruiting. More details here.

Theses changes will impact men’s basketball recruits in the following ways:

• D1 men’s basketball programs will be allowed to offer 15 scholarships, increased from the current limit of 13.
  • D1 men’s basketball will have a maximum roster limit of 15 players.
  • D1 men’s basketball, once a headcount sport, will now be classified as an equivalency sport. This means programs can now offer a mix of partial and full-ride scholarships.”
So, it looks like we could sign 3 total

Reactions: Boileratthebeach
For next year, ncaa has extended to 15 now.

“Beginning in 2025-2026, the NCAA will remove D1 scholarship restrictions, allowing all sports to divide scholarships among athletes, significantly impacting college basketball recruiting. More details here.

Theses changes will impact men’s basketball recruits in the following ways:

• D1 men’s basketball programs will be allowed to offer 15 scholarships, increased from the current limit of 13.
  • D1 men’s basketball will have a maximum roster limit of 15 players.
  • D1 men’s basketball, once a headcount sport, will now be classified as an equivalency sport. This means programs can now offer a mix of partial and full-ride scholarships.”
So, it looks like we could sign 3 total
Thank you. I thought it started in 2026. Crazy how the more things change the more they stay the same. This will harm mid majors and fill up the transfer portal. Thank you again.

Is it a forgone conclusion that Burgess will shirt? I'm assuming. Hard to say about Cox or JB, but I'll assume one will and probably more likely that it is Benter. Some have commented about Waddell getting more mins, but I just don't see where he or Berg can get significant mins. especially in Berg's case if Heide plays part time at the 4.
there was a fair amount of noise about Burgess showing up very well back when they were practicing. Losing Zach AND Mason means help is needed in every way up front. WHO shows up and stakes a claim is going to be very interesting. He's got a Big 10 body right now.
Defense and rebounding and a physical presence will earn any of TKR/Furst/Berg/Heide/Burgess/Jacobson playing time.
Going to be a heavyweight slugfest IMO and i"m looking forward to seeing it.
(someone update the roster list here! Don't even have Daniel on the scholy list)
No forgone conclusions here or in Matt's head I'm pretty confident.

Last edited:
But Wole told me Painter never plays a forward at the 3 and it’s always a guard and Heide always played the 4 last year?!?
That’s not what I said! I also consider Heide more of a big guard than a forward! I also considered Cline and Mathias to be big guards rather than a real forward

That makes sense, I agree that one of the three (Cox, Harris, Benter) redshirting seems likely. Conventional wisdom seems to be that Benter is the one who redshirts, but part of that may be because he was out sick this summer. It's not unthinkable that if he's made a full recovery and is capable of being a secondary ball handler (more like Loyer than Sasha or Cline) that he could push out Cox or Harris.
In the one game I saw of Benter's...and jr/sen allstar game. It appeared to me that Benter was a good shooter who "knew" how to get open away from the ball. Since this wasn't a team he practiced and played with having lots of sets for him...he just knew how to get open. He isn't particularly quick but in that game it didn't seem to hurt him. I have no idea how he fits in this year. Another guy that was a good shooter and could get open away from the ball that wasn't quick was Troy Lewis...

I also said if a player doesn’t start, he’s a role player rather than actually having a position. I don’t consider Heide as a starter, so it doesn’t really matter what position he plays! He’ll get some minutes. But only if someone fails or gets in foul trouble.

I provided a scenario. I said if Jacobson starts, TKR will continue playing the 4. And Heide will back up TKR or play the 3. But most people here all agree that the 3 starter will be Mules! Gosh darn! Myles is a guard, isn’t he?

And what did I say about Painter wanting to start a guard at the three position? Wow, how many times do I have to say it? Painter will start a guard at the three rather than a forward!

As for Heide. What is his natural position? I’m saying he’s a guard. You can disagree if you want. He can play the 4. But we have better options to play the 4 than Heide. Unless you really want to play small ball with ; guards and TKR or Jacobson.

I believe some of the confusion occurs when I talk about a player’s natural position verses what position he plays at Purdue. When I discuss a player’s natural position, I’m referring to what position the player will play in the pros. In the pros, I said Catchings would be a 3. That’s probably why he didn’t want to play for Purdue if Painter informed him that he was going to play him at the 4. I see Heide as a guard. I can’t see Heide playing the 3 in the pros.

So if Heidi plays the 3 at Purdue, he’d basically playing a guard position.

Posters constantly say a player can play multiple positions. But do they really play more than one position? I can see they may play out of position when coming off the bench, but I don’t really consider that as being classified as being able to play that position!

I consider Magic Johnson a point guard. He could play center, but nobody called him a center. The same with Jordan, LeBron, Durant and many others! While players can play multiple positions, I will refer to them by the position that is their natural position! Furst is a center. Braden is a point guard. Loyer is a shooting guard. Got is a power forward. Heidi is a big guard! Myles and Harris are guards! Jacobson is a center. Berg is a tall back up

• Haha
Reactions: Heads up BOILER
That’s not what I said! I also consider Heide more of a big guard than a forward! I also considered Cline and Mathias to be big guards rather than a real forward

This you?
is there a reason you didn't mention Myles ?

my thoughts are twofold. Painter LOVES to play a guard at the 3 spot. that could change. who knows.
Also, you “considering” Heide a big guard doesn’t change the fact that he’s been listed as a forward his whole life and at Purdue.

I also said if a player doesn’t start, he’s a role player rather than actually having a position. I don’t consider Heide as a starter, so it doesn’t really matter what position he plays! He’ll get some minutes. But only if someone fails or gets in foul trouble.

I provided a scenario. I said if Jacobson starts, TKR will continue playing the 4. And Heide will back up TKR or play the 3. But most people here all agree that the 3 starter will be Mules! Gosh darn! Myles is a guard, isn’t he?

And what did I say about Painter wanting to start a guard at the three position? Wow, how many times do I have to say it? Painter will start a guard at the three rather than a forward!

As for Heide. What is his natural position? I’m saying he’s a guard. You can disagree if you want. He can play the 4. But we have better options to play the 4 than Heide. Unless you really want to play small ball with ; guards and TKR or Jacobson.

I believe some of the confusion occurs when I talk about a player’s natural position verses what position he plays at Purdue. When I discuss a player’s natural position, I’m referring to what position the player will play in the pros. In the pros, I said Catchings would be a 3. That’s probably why he didn’t want to play for Purdue if Painter informed him that he was going to play him at the 4. I see Heide as a guard. I can’t see Heide playing the 3 in the pros.

Posters constantly say a player can play multiple positions. But do they really play more than one position? I can see they may play out of position when coming off the bench, but I don’t really consider that as being classified as being able to play that position!

I consider Magic Johnson a point guard. He could play center, but nobody called him a center. The same with Jordan, LeBron, Durant and many others! While players can play multiple positions, I will refer to them by the position that is their natural position! Furst is a center. Braden is a point guard. Loyer is a shooting guard. Got is a power forward. Heidi is a big guard! Myles and Harris are guards! Jacobson is a center. Berg is a tall back up
It's an exaggeration to say that most people believe that Myles is the starter if he and Cam are both playing primarily the three. I agree that it's possible that DJ or Berg start alongside Trey. If that's the case it will be interesting to see whether Cam or Myles starts. I'm not sure how much it matters as both seem likely to play 20 to 25 mpg regardless.

Dude you’re confusing yourself. And no one talks about players’ positions in terms of what they’d be in the nba, unless you specifically state “the position in the nba they will play…”

Heide is getting major mins. Whether it’s as a starter or not. And he’s listed as a forward so that means at the 3 or 4 and if he makes it to the nba, he will play the 3, which is a small forward. He’s not a PG (the 1) and not good enough shooter to play the 2. Too small for the 4, although he may see some small mins if he makes it to the nba there to fill in if needed.

Magic IS a PG and no one has said he isn’t. You’re right on all positions for Purdue players except Heide and berg, those positions don’t exist in the 1-5. Heide is a forward and berg is a center.

This you?

Also, you “considering” Heide a big guard doesn’t change the fact that he’s been listed as a forward his whole life and at Purdue.
Regardless of where Cam is listed, I don't think Wol is necessarily wrong on this. I don't see Cam as being in the exact same mold as Dakota, Cline, etc. he seems like a bit of a hybrid between those guys and skilled 4's like Vine and Eifert.

Regardless of where Cam is listed, I don't think Wol is necessarily wrong on this. I don't see Cam as being in the exact same mold as Dakota, Cline, etc. he seems like a bit of a hybrid between those guys and skilled 4's like Vine and Eifert.
Sure. He’s just not a guard.

Sure. He’s just not a guard.
I don't care, it's all semantics to me. but from my perspective, it's non-binary (trigger alert 😂).

You alluded to this above in that Braden is a true PG and guys like Zach and Will are true traditional 5's, but IMO, everyone else is on a continuum.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
I don't care, it's all semantics to me. but from my perspective, it's non-binary (trigger alert 😂).

You alluded to this above in that Braden is a true PG and guys like Zach and Will are true traditional 5's, but IMO, everyone else is on a continuum.
😂

Yeah, but for Wole sayin Heide is a guard in his eyes doesn’t change the fact he is a forward/listed as one and has been his whole life 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT