ADVERTISEMENT

Catchings/NIL

"He said we needed more athleticism and immediately got a guy who upgrades our athleticism. He wasn't a "top" transfer but fits a need and fills a role."

Losing the only athletic player we have (Newman) and replacing it with a Mid-Major player is not an "upgrade".
Do you actually watch the games?

Reactions: Schnelk and mathboy
As for the NIL and the transfer portal and elite players, it appears the reason Purdue is missing out on all these 5 star recruits is simply because Painter is not trying to recruit them. Look at the current 5 star high school recruits and top 50 players. How many of them did Painter actually give an offer to or try to recruit? Maybe 20% at most! How many of the top elite transfer players did Painter actually try to recruit? Maybe 5?

Purdue is not missing out because of the NIL. We’re missing out simply because Painter is interested in recruiting different players. Painter is recruiting certain players. He’s not interested in recruiting all of the 5 star players who are available!

Rather than constantly complaining about the NIL, you should give more attention to the type of players Painter is actually recruiting. He has an eye for talent but there are just certain player types that interest him. He has a certain type of offense and defense he likes to play and he looks for players that fit his system.

A question to ask, will Painter ever adopt his system to match and take advantage of a player’s talents? Will Painter ever change his system to one that would be more effective in the dance? Painter laments about the type of players Purdue needs, but I rarely see him actually going hard after that type of player and trying to recruit them!
This made me laugh a little. We used to make fun of Crazy Pants Crean for throwing IU schollies out like candy at a parade. You seem to be advocating that sort of silly behavior. I think you are only looking superficially at this recruiting activity. What makes you think Painter hasn’t contacted many of the top 50 players? I mean, strike off those guys who have entourages, those who have already secretly committed to some other school, and those with their hand out for more than NIL. Also step around anyone who their high school coach gives Painter a heads up that they are locker room poison. The rest, maybe he makes a call to gauge interest. Get them on campus (another big step) and see how they blend with the current guys. Then, and only then, does a scholarship offer come. Your post seems to imply that none of this is happening and that, is just fabricated speculation at best.

He's not decommitting.

If you have to ask if Painter will change his system to match his players I don't think you know enough to even ask that question.

Painter has been quite effective in the NCAAT - 2 of the last 3 years were bad but every program who consistently makes the NCAAT has those stretches. Duke did, Kansas did, Arizona is currently having its own rough stretch, Kentucky also.

He said we needed more athleticism and immediately got a guy who upgrades our athleticism. He wasn't a "top" transfer but fits a need and fills a role.
I knew the answer before I asked it. It was a sarcastic rhetorical question. And by your saying Purdue has been awesome except for the last 2-3 years would lead one to believe you haven’t followed Purdue basketball very long. Did you forget all those other tournament games we were heavily favored in but ended up losing? Painter’s ncaa tournament record is a very predictable broken record. Everybody who follows Painter and Purdue knows he will never change his style or adjust to the talents of his players. That’s one of the reasons pgs look elsewhere. Painter is also very selective in who he recruits. And come tourney time, we all know this team is not built or designed to win in the tournament and we will lose when we should be blowing the team away! Every Purdue fan who knows anything knew Purdue was going to lose. We just didn’t know to who.

So if stupid people like myself can realize this, why can’t Painter ? It should be obvious he needs to change his system and the type of players he recruits. Will he? It’s very doubtful. Through scheduling, he’ll always get his 20 wins and an ncaa bid. And Groundhog Day begins once more.

Posters here no longer even argue about or try to defend it or make excuses for it anymore. We’ve learned to accept it. 20 wins and maybe if we’re lucky a sweet 16. You can bet the farm on it.

Reactions: MetMyWifeAtHarrys
Wait, don’t stop this lovely chicken little rant. Let him roll. It gets easy now to tell the real fan from the bandwagon guys who feel somehow betrayed by our great season that ended so abruptly.
You forgot to add the S ! As in seasons! It’s the same story every year. The names of the other teams were changed to protect the people who defend the program.

I knew the answer before I asked it. It was a sarcastic rhetorical question. And by your saying Purdue has been awesome except for the last 2-3 years would lead one to believe you haven’t followed Purdue basketball very long. Did you forget all those other tournament games we were heavily favored in but ended up losing? Painter’s ncaa tournament record is a very predictable broken record. Everybody who follows Painter and Purdue knows he will never change his style or adjust to the talents of his players. That’s one of the reasons pgs look elsewhere. Painter is also very selective in who he recruits. And come tourney time, we all know this team is not built or designed to win in the tournament and we will lose when we should be blowing the team away! Every Purdue fan who knows anything knew Purdue was going to lose. We just didn’t know to who.

So if stupid people like myself can realize this, why can’t Painter ? It should be obvious he needs to change his system and the type of players he recruits. Will he? It’s very doubtful. Through scheduling, he’ll always get his 20 wins and an ncaa bid. And Groundhog Day begins once more.

Posters here no longer even argue about or try to defend it or make excuses for it anymore. We’ve learned to accept it. 20 wins and maybe if we’re lucky a sweet 16. You can bet the farm on it.

When did I say awesome?

This a thread on a Kanon Catchings, take your shit posting elsewhere. We all now Painter has underperformed in the tournament. Supposedly Painter has an im home visit today, hope all is well.

This a thread on a Kanon Catchings, take your shit posting elsewhere. We all now Painter has underperformed in the tournament. Supposedly Painter has an im home visit today, hope all is well.
I replied to a previous post. I did not go off topic! The topic also included the word NIL. And other posters had already began that topic for discussion as part of this thread.

He's not decommitting.

If you have to ask if Painter will change his system to match his players I don't think you know enough to even ask that question.

Painter has been quite effective in the NCAAT - 2 of the last 3 years were bad but every program who consistently makes the NCAAT has those stretches. Duke did, Kansas did, Arizona is currently having its own rough stretch, Kentucky also.

He said we needed more athleticism and immediately got a guy who upgrades our athleticism. He wasn't a "top" transfer but fits a need and fills a role.
Please don’t compare Purdue to teams that have double digit FF appearances and multiple NCs. Purdue isn’t even in the same ballpark as those programs when it comes to the tourney.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Because that makes a difference... how? So it's OK to lose to a 15 seed if you won a title in your school's history? That nonsensical. So if IU were to get a 1 seed and lose to the 16 seed it is not as bad for them as for us because of 1987? It's bad, no one is arguing it isn't,

And yes Painter IS pretty good in the NCAAT, there aren't many coaches who can match his record. Instead of 4 sweet 16s the last 6 tourneys it was just a single final 4 and no other wins does that make him a better tournament coach?
Painter is historically bad in the tourney. What other coach has lost to a 16,15,14 and 12?
Stats don’t lie. He’s what, 16-15 in the tourney?

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Agreed, sometimes he looked uncoordinated to me. Great guy, hate to say it, disappointing as a Boiler.

When people say athletic in this context, i think they usually mean someone who is strong with a long Wingspan and can jump. Newman probably does fit that criteria, though i understand your point. For example, failing to catch a pass and letting it bounce off your face for a turnover doesn’t really seem like something an athletic player would do.

When people say athletic in this context, i think they usually mean someone who is strong with a long Wingspan and can jump. Newman probably does fit that criteria, though i understand your point. For example, failing to catch a pass and letting it bounce off your face for a turnover doesn’t really seem like something an athletic player would do.
Newman was athletic enough to reject some shots around the rim. I didn’t see any of our other players make those type of plays I’m referring to.

Newman is pretty athletic in terms of speed and leaping ability, but he struggled to consistently capitalize on his athleticism.
If Newman was a better ball handler, we would probably all agree he was athletic. Last season I marveled at the difference between Jaden's athelticism and Newman's. Newman couldn't touch that.

If Newman was a better ball handler, we would probably all agree he was athletic. Last season I marveled at the difference between Jaden's athelticism and Newman's. Newman couldn't touch that.
Ivey is now one of the most athletic players in the NBA, so I'm not sure that's fair. In fact he's probably the most athletic basketball player to ever play at Purdue.

A long wingspan is nice, but has zero to do with athleticism.

Newman is pretty athletic in terms of speed and leaping ability, but he struggled to consistently capitalize on his athleticism.
I think Newman never developed his raw athleticism into being anything other than an outside shooter. He didn't develop the ball handling skills to attack off the bounce, get in the lane and finish. He was much more comfortable launching 3s despite him having good size, length, speed, etc.

Please don’t compare Purdue to teams that have double digit FF appearances and multiple NCs. Purdue isn’t even in the same ballpark as those programs when it comes to the tourney.
Only 2 teams in the BT have double digit FF's, Ohio State has 11 with only 1 NC and Michigan St. 10 FFs and 2 NC. The once mighty IU and Michigan have 8 FF appearance. The BT has only 11 NC in 83 year span with IU winning 5. Some on here make sound so damn easy! Do you realize that over 50% schools in Division 1 have never gone dancing!

Reactions: Schnelk
WTF does ball handling have to do with being athletic????????
Well without good handles, you arent able to USE your athleticism to your advantage. I would have thought that was fairly obvious. Newman was fairly athletic, and would have appeared moreso with better ball handling skills.

I think Newman never developed his raw athleticism into being anything other than an outside shooter. He didn't develop the ball handling skills to attack off the bounce, get in the lane and finish. He was much more comfortable launching 3s despite him having good size, length, speed, etc.
He had a few games last season where he got my hopes up with some pressure defense and some pick sixes, but then he would seem to regress and start playing tentatively again.

I remember watching him pregame doing dribbling drills just like Jaden and he seemed like he could handle the ball. Something hit when he got in the game that he tightened up and played scared.

I hope wherever he lands he does well and figures it out.

I remember watching him pregame doing dribbling drills just like Jaden and he seemed like he could handle the ball. Something hit when he got in the game that he tightened up and played scared.

I hope wherever he lands he does well and figures it out.
I know what you saw, as many of us did. Howeve,r I don't know how to separate tightening up and playing scared versus being on auto pilot and a bit in a daze knowing he and the ball need to be someplace without consideration of the environment at the time. He wasn't afraid to shoot, but didn't process things well. Perhaps the game ended up being more complex at Purdue than what was best for him. Maybe he needs more free flowing play and less sets? I could certainly understand that since I like the game somewhat simple, but fully understand it could lead to the five being on different pages and so where is that nice middle ground?

Last edited:
I know what you saw, as many of us did. Howeve,r I don't know how to seperate tightening up and playing scared versus being on auto pilot and a bit in a daze knowing he and the ball need to be someplace without consideration of the environment at the time. He wasn't afraid to shoot, but didn't process things well. Perhaps the game ended up being more complex at Purdue than what was best for him. Maybe he needs more free flowing play and less sets? I could certainly understand that since I like the game somewhat simple, but fully understand it could lead to the five being on different pages and so where is that nice middle ground?
Saw some Kansas State folks mentioning that he would fit into the offense that Tang runs out there. I agree having an offense where you let guys play freely would benefit him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT