ADVERTISEMENT

Catchings/NIL

New Pal Boiler

All-American
Jun 30, 2010
Does anyone know what the NIL strategy is as it pertains to Catchings? Can he get NIL deals now?

Does anyone know what the NIL strategy is as it pertains to Catchings? Can he get NIL deals now?
Here is what I found. NIL for HS players is different state by state. Indiana doesn't allow it now but it is being considered:

Governance: 2021-22 By-Laws & Articles of Incorporation

Applicable Language: Rule 5, Rule 6

Notes: The current regulations prohibit student-athletes from monetizing their NIL. Rule 5 on amateurism states a student-athlete loses their amateur status if they have, “capitalized on athletic fame by receiving money or gifts of a monetary nature”. However, a recent Executive Committee report shows the IHSAA is actively researching the topic.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Here is what I found. NIL for HS players is different state by state. Indiana doesn't allow it now but it is being considered:

Governance: 2021-22 By-Laws & Articles of Incorporation

Applicable Language: Rule 5, Rule 6

Notes: The current regulations prohibit student-athletes from monetizing their NIL. Rule 5 on amateurism states a student-athlete loses their amateur status if they have, “capitalized on athletic fame by receiving money or gifts of a monetary nature”. However, a recent Executive Committee report shows the IHSAA is actively researching the topic.

Watching these highlights… wow….hoping that Purdue makes it clear to Catchings that Edey’s “cap space” is his in 2024…

Why did he pull the PU commit from his social media page? Or just rumor?
No idea.

Purdue basketball could be at a crossroads. We’ve already lost one commit to NIL (DGL).

If the AD doesn’t figure this NIL stuff out, and we end up the Pittsburgh Pirates of college basketball, I will find other ways to occupy my time.

All his recent tweets still have “Purdue commit” in it. the most recent of which was from yesterday (April 10) not sure why he is re tweeting things about his ourdue commitment if he gonna decommit but okay wait and see I guess.
He had an IU offer, would be weird that he picked Purdue if he “really wanted IU” at all anyway.
Edit: okay twitter rumor says he wants to re classify / graduate early and we don’t have a spot so he might decommit (or did already). If so we will know shortly.

Last edited:
All his recent tweets still have “Purdue commit” in it. the most recent of which was from yesterday (April 10) not sure why he is re tweeting things about his ourdue commitment if he gonna decommit but okay wait and see I guess.
He had an IU offer, would be weird that he picked Purdue if he “really wanted IU” at all anyway.
Insta

Okay, I looked there too already. Post the link you want seen, I don’t see anything on his Instagram that Says he decommits from Purdue
No such thing.

But, he dropped Purdue commit from his Insta profile, de-archived his IU visit on Insta, and started following Adam Howard who tweeted as if something notable is about to happen.

Last edited:
No such thing.

He dropped Purdue commit from his Insta profile, de-archived his IU visit on Insta, and started following Adam Howard who tweeted as if something notable is about to happen.
Which one of the 27 tweets that Adam howard posted or retweeted in the last two days are you referring to ?
With the following and unfollowing presumably he would “unfollow” boilerball on Instagram and twitter but still has those as following 🤷🏽 I guess we just wait for him to say something since there’s enough rumors on twitter now that he will indeed probably have to say something even if it’s not the case

Last edited:
Which one of the 27 tweets that Adam howard posted or retweeted in the last two days are you referring to ?
The one that occurred immediately after Kanon Catchings removed Purdue commit from his profile and started following Howard. I’m not going to post it on a Purdue board.

The one that occurred immediately after Kanon Catchings removed Purdue commit from his profile and started following Howard. I’m not going to post it on a Purdue board.
You’re already posting on the Purdue board, go ahead and help us old timers out. Not a soul here (other than you) knows when he ‘removed’ whatever you say was removed from whatever profile.

You’re already posting on the Purdue board, go ahead and help us old timers out. Not a soul here (other than you) knows when he ‘removed’ whatever you say was removed from whatever profile.

He's referring to this:

I'm a bit late to the party - it appears as though Catchings may or be decommitting? The closest thing to a concrete statement I saw was a veiled (albeit thinly) statement that "nothing official has happened ...but things are happening" kind of post. Great. I'm sure he'll somehow end up at IU just to twist the knife some more. :D

Any commitment prior to a guys senior year has to come with an asterisk now days. As a guys NIL value goes up and down, so do his options.

It's also hard for guys to anticipate who will be on the roster when they arrive because of all the movement. Duke just lost a recruit for 2023 because he plays the same position as a potential first round draft choice who decided to "stay in school".

Reactions: Professor Emeritus
Someone threw a bag at him, let's see if we have the cajones to do the same.

If we can keep him, I think that will actually help the Alliance with more donations. People who pay as much attention to Purdue sports as we do are wary of what the money is actually going to. Seeing the Alliance help retain a 5* recruit is going to help assuage those fears.

No idea.

Purdue basketball could be at a crossroads. We’ve already lost one commit to NIL (DGL).

If the AD doesn’t figure this NIL stuff out, and we end up the Pittsburgh Pirates of college basketball, I will find other ways to occupy my time.
Such bs that you suggest you know that is what is happening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT