ADVERTISEMENT

Catchings/NIL

Tiffini was at Bama and was an administrator for their NIL. She has experience in this field and should know how Purdue should handle these situations.
Well good start to figure this one out asap.

Read he potentially wants to reclassify and our lineup might not allow for that…. Also read he is leaning to IU.

Reactions: TooPoorToBleedGold

Read he potentially wants to reclassify and our lineup might not allow for that…. Also read he is leaning to IU.
Where are people finding the "he" is leaning towards IU? Was this something he actually spoke of? or speculation? I'm not saying it isn't true but more curious.

The landscape of the NIL is just unfortunate to guide young people to become money runners without any commitment. This is proven by the portal and it has become the "new" society we live in....just sad.

Reactions: Schnelk and SKYDOG

Interesting. If he reclassifies, it would be completely understandable he didn't come to Purdue based on the current roster for 2023-2024.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
College sports are heading into a no-win situation with a predictable outcome. Great family values are being replaced by NIL values. Traditional fans will have to adjust or move on.
Honestly, most thought this would become the new G-League. This is more about personalism then amateurism and this was one of my favorite reasons to watch college sports. You can't follow the landscape because it's more fluid then multi year contracts.

Where are people finding the "he" is leaning towards IU? Was this something he actually spoke of? or speculation? I'm not saying it isn't true but more curious.

The landscape of the NIL is just unfortunate to guide young people to become money runners without any commitment. This is proven by the portal and it has become the "new" society we live in....just sad.
Just stuff I have seen on Twitter from IU people who are supposedly in the know. He had removed his photo of him on his IU visit from his Instagram account and now it is back.

• Wow
Reactions: Poprudy

Reclassify? We have the scholarship and the need for a wing athlete. He would have plenty of minutes. Newman left, Morton lost minutes as the season went on, 20+ mpg available. Unless he think he can't beat Myles for minutes (and judging by their rather stark body differences he probably couldn't in 2023).

It's a bag, IMO

Reclassify? We have the scholarship and the need for a wing athlete. He would have plenty of minutes. Newman left, Morton lost minutes as the season went on, 20+ mpg available. Unless he think he can't beat Myles for minutes (and judging by their rather stark body differences he probably couldn't in 2023).

It's a bag, IMO
He is not physically ready for the grind of D1 basketball. Needs another year with some serious time in the weight room.

He is not physically ready for the grind of D1 basketball. Needs another year with some serious time in the weight room.
This was kind of my first thought as well in regards to the talk of reclassification.

I'm sure it's not an exact correlation, but look at what happened to Lander at IU.

They thought he was gonna be the 2nd coming and lead them to the promise land.

This was kind of my first thought as well in regards to the talk of reclassification.

I'm sure it's not an exact correlation, but look at what happened to Lander at IU.

They thought he was gonna be the 2nd coming and lead them to the promise land.
Now he is WKU playing backup minutes.

Not sure what our counter pitch is but we better figure it out.

Would he be a 5* if he were to reclassify?

I hope even with the tourney flop. He can see this has been a sustainable program, same coach, same family atmosphere, same winning.

Now he is WKU playing backup minutes.

Not sure what our counter pitch is but we better figure it out.
A counter pitch may not even matter.

The rumors are that he was forced into the Purdue commit by his parents, so it's possible he only accepted because we were the only good offer he had at the time.

And while you never/rarely want to turn down 5* talent, if he doesn't even want to be here then both parties are likely better off in the end

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?

The rumors are that he was forced into the Purdue commit by his parents, so it's possible he only accepted because we were the only good offer he had at the time.

And while you never/rarely want to turn down 5* talent, if he doesn't even want to be here then both parties are likely better off in the end

Why IU? If true, then why not take your time and take multiple big program visits. That would seem more logical and meaningful.

"The rumors" lol

This isn't true.

Reactions: mathboy and Schnelk
College sports are heading into a no-win situation with a predictable outcome. Great family values are being replaced by NIL values. Traditional fans will have to adjust or move on.
I’ll be honest, if Catchings doesn’t come more power to him, Purdue will be fine, Transfer Portal is full of good players these days.

Anyway, here is what I know, that I hate having to address because nothing tangible has actually happened and there are very few players who make really early commitments who don't have their moments of uncertainty, which often turn out to be only moments. Decommitments require public declarations to be valid.

Last week, Kanon Catchings did indicate to Purdue that he intended to re-open. He did so suddenly and unilaterally, outside his family's and coaches' knowledge. It did not go over well with those around him, who've been strongly in Purdue's corner and, best we can tell, remain so. Since then, conversations between Purdue and the player and the family have been normal. I don't want to say that it's as if nothing ever happened, because how could it be? But the possibility of it being just an impulse deal or a bad day would seem viable. Everything has seemed to go back to normal the past few days, best we can tell. I think Purdue will go in for an in-home visit Friday.

What would set this apart from past de-commitments Purdue has experienced is that the support system is rock solid. The family and the coaches all seem to be stand-up, stable people, whereas with past decommits, there's always been a weak link, if you will. Unless everyone's lying, then a pro-Purdue infrastructure remains in place.

So what happened here? I'm not in the business of psycho-analyzing other peoples' kids, but Catchings is about as introverted a kid as I've ever covered, but is starting to come out of his shell some and does have a bit of a quiet edge to him, based on what I've seen of him on and off the court. Teenagers can be emotional and rebellious, and context has changed as Catchings' perception — maybe self-perception, as well — has.

Catchings did just return from a USA Basketball event crawling with NBA people, agents and probably shoe-company people. He knocked peoples' socks off there, per our understanding. Soon as his ranking spiked, people — including all the people who screwed this recruitment up in the first place — were bound to zero ion n him. That's the deal. People chase the ranking.

Have other schools been getting to him? Indiana does have some particularly brazen young people on their staff who have not been shy about messing with other peoples' players (none from Purdue that we know of) and it just stands to reason that would extend to commitments. There's nothing illegal about recruiting committed players. IU has been making calls around Catchings lately, but they also may have burned that bridge a long time ago when he made the effort to visit and they didn't offer him then. He was pissed about that then.

Look, if there's any issue here with Purdue, it's not NIL-related and it's not FDU-related, the two conclusions I'm guessing that the Internet has already jumped to. Negative recruiters though will still hit Purdue with "All they do is throw the ball inside," to which Purdue's response would obviously be they play through their All-Americans, that when Carsen Edwards was an All-American, he was the guy and when Robbie Hummel was an All-American, he was the guy. And when Purdue had Jaden Ivey and great bigs, while there might have been some clunkiness, Ivey was still an All-American and the No. 6 pick in the draft. Also worth noting is that Zach Edey is at Purdue one more year, tops, and it's not like Shaquille O'Neal circa 1992 is waiting in the wings. Purdue may have its most athletic team ever under Matt Painter in a couple years with Catchings, maybe even without him.

What's funny about the thought of Catchings re-opening his recruitment is that he hated being recruited. He didn't want to talk to anyone. He'd have had at least Michigan State and Ohio State offers on the front end had he just not stopped taking peoples' calls.

If he re-opens, he has no idea what lies in store.

I found this....If true, then NIL has nothing to do with the potential outcome of his recruitment.

Purdue will move on regardless, but this is not a commitment Purdue wants to lose. The upside with this young man appears to be tremendous.
I get that, however, if he’s a 1/2 year player maybe he isn’t the best fit for a Purdue. Trust me, I want him, however, if he leaves life goes on, the portal is full of top players, go out and get one if need be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT